The Green Lantern Corps Message Board

Go Back   The Green Lantern Corps Message Board > Green Lanternverse > Green Lantern Vol. 4
FLASHCHAT

GL Volume 4
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-10-2011, 04:42 PM   #26
Cyber Bishop
Fatality's Blacksmith
 
Cyber Bishop's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: New Orleans
Posts: 173
Send a message via AIM to Cyber Bishop Send a message via MSN to Cyber Bishop Send a message via Yahoo to Cyber Bishop
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by myuserid View Post
Yes.
LMAO!!

Almost made me spit my water on the monitor..

__________________
Cyber Bishop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 10:14 PM   #27
beefrocks
Corps Recruit
 
beefrocks's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 4
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister Ed View Post
I doubt anybody was offended.

I think, though, that what some are saying is that, as "organizations" they are all very different, and them all not only having oaths (though as far as we know Larfleeze doesn't, nor, IMHO, should he), but oaths that follow the same exact pattern, rhythm, meter, and even have the same length, is kind of goofy (and in the case of the Red Lanterns especially, is nonsensical).
I kinda figured that each power core could only respond to a specific meter, so that would be why each group needed an "oath" of four lines of iambic tetrameter with a four-syllable battle cry at the end. Then I read the recently released "oath" for the orange lantern, and was a bit put off by the excessive number of syllables at first. (Then I realized that they just got greedy.) If you study the various "oaths," you'll realize that most of them are warnings, assertions, blessings, and curses, but very few (if any other than the GLC oath) could be called an oath. Then, the reason the GLC used an oath, rather than some random sequence of relatively related words, would be to help maintain commitment to the corps.
Of course, I hate most things DC, and I only looked into the whole thing so I could memorize all the oaths for the nerd cred, so I have no idea what I'm talking about. It just--I think that explains everything, doesn't it? And then, if we all assumed that my theory was correct, and no one found any evidence to show otherwise, this whole debate would be moot, right? Of course, I'm sure some die-hard fan is going to take offence to this post and adamantly give some profanity-filled rant explaining every single reason why I'm absolutely incorrect. Oh, well. I just needed to get this idea out there.
beefrocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 02:09 PM   #28
Space Cop
The Dandy
 
Space Cop's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: The Third State
Posts: 25,678
Blog Entries: 2
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by beefrocks View Post
I kinda figured that each power core could only respond to a specific meter, so that would be why each group needed an "oath" of four lines of iambic tetrameter with a four-syllable battle cry at the end. Then I read the recently released "oath" for the orange lantern, and was a bit put off by the excessive number of syllables at first. (Then I realized that they just got greedy.) If you study the various "oaths," you'll realize that most of them are warnings, assertions, blessings, and curses, but very few (if any other than the GLC oath) could be called an oath. Then, the reason the GLC used an oath, rather than some random sequence of relatively related words, would be to help maintain commitment to the corps.
Of course, I hate most things DC, and I only looked into the whole thing so I could memorize all the oaths for the nerd cred, so I have no idea what I'm talking about. It just--I think that explains everything, doesn't it? And then, if we all assumed that my theory was correct, and no one found any evidence to show otherwise, this whole debate would be moot, right? Of course, I'm sure some die-hard fan is going to take offence to this post and adamantly give some profanity-filled rant explaining every single reason why I'm absolutely incorrect. Oh, well. I just needed to get this idea out there.
First off, hello. Welcome to the board. Please introduce yourself at the introduction forum.

Actually, what you say is right on for the Animated Series. A recent episode confirmed that the words and meter of the various oaths were in fact crucial.

The problem for comics is that they've been inconsistent with this. Way back in the early Silver Age Hal actually made up his oath. Then, they retconned it into an ancient oath of GLC that GLs could choose to use or not. Kyle, for instance, didn't use one. However, at various times writers have suggested it is necessary to charge the battery. If that were the case, I think your explanation would be a logical one as to their similarity.
__________________
Space Cop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 03:58 PM   #29
Deadpool
Fight like a man: with your words, not your fists.
 
Deadpool's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: The bed of whoever pays for the night.
Posts: 5,793
Blog Entries: 5
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Space Cop View Post
First off, hello. Welcome to the board. Please introduce yourself at the introduction forum.

Actually, what you say is right on for the Animated Series. A recent episode confirmed that the words and meter of the various oaths were in fact crucial.

The problem for comics is that they've been inconsistent with this. Way back in the early Silver Age Hal actually made up his oath. Then, they retconned it into an ancient oath of GLC that GLs could choose to use or not. Kyle, for instance, didn't use one. However, at various times writers have suggested it is necessary to charge the battery. If that were the case, I think your explanation would be a logical one as to their similarity.
Which would explain why on crisis on multiple Earths, Hal charged his ring with Alan on Alans battery and said his Oath. But yeah, I like that Johns made it all part of GL tradition. BTW, I think the Orange lantern oath is saying mine! mine! mine! over and over again. I don't think Agent Orrange needs an oath though, doesn't he have the power of the entire corps in his one ring?
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by IonFan View Post
(even if the ear sucking helped get me off faster)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Daddy Caesar View Post
If I had things like the internet and a laptop as a kid, I never would have left my room as a teenager.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quaker View Post
I am the Geoff Johns of the GLCMB.
Deadpool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 06:40 PM   #30
Trigger
Hal's Understudy
 
Trigger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 539
Default

Maybe they just made different oaths to try and do easy merchandise later. Just like when DC produced an identical lantern for sale even though the Indigio tribe do not even have traditional lanterns.
__________________
Trigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 07:33 PM   #31
Deadpool
Fight like a man: with your words, not your fists.
 
Deadpool's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: The bed of whoever pays for the night.
Posts: 5,793
Blog Entries: 5
Default

They don't do they? Maybe they should make a stalk or whatever they use. Wait, I think they do, but they look like they're made of rock and not metal.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by IonFan View Post
(even if the ear sucking helped get me off faster)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Daddy Caesar View Post
If I had things like the internet and a laptop as a kid, I never would have left my room as a teenager.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quaker View Post
I am the Geoff Johns of the GLCMB.
Deadpool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2012, 03:47 AM   #32
LanternSector2814
Alan's Drycleaner
 
LanternSector2814's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 44
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deadpool View Post
Which would explain why on crisis on multiple Earths, Hal charged his ring with Alan on Alans battery and said his Oath. But yeah, I like that Johns made it all part of GL tradition. BTW, I think the Orange lantern oath is saying mine! mine! mine! over and over again. I don't think Agent Orrange needs an oath though, doesn't he have the power of the entire corps in his one ring?
His quote is still unknown at this point but johns keeps hinting every so often that he will reveal it. He has confirmed a couple comic cons ago that his quote is not "Mine!"
LanternSector2814 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 01:23 PM   #33
Deadpool
Fight like a man: with your words, not your fists.
 
Deadpool's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: The bed of whoever pays for the night.
Posts: 5,793
Blog Entries: 5
Default

This is Johns we're talking about.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by IonFan View Post
(even if the ear sucking helped get me off faster)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Daddy Caesar View Post
If I had things like the internet and a laptop as a kid, I never would have left my room as a teenager.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quaker View Post
I am the Geoff Johns of the GLCMB.
Deadpool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 01:39 AM   #34
LanternSector2814
Alan's Drycleaner
 
LanternSector2814's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 44
Default

True, so he will get lazy and make it "Mine!" anyways
LanternSector2814 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 10:55 AM   #35
Deadpool
Fight like a man: with your words, not your fists.
 
Deadpool's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: The bed of whoever pays for the night.
Posts: 5,793
Blog Entries: 5
Default

Yeah, plus this was before the new 52, he'll probably use that to get out of makng one.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by IonFan View Post
(even if the ear sucking helped get me off faster)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Daddy Caesar View Post
If I had things like the internet and a laptop as a kid, I never would have left my room as a teenager.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quaker View Post
I am the Geoff Johns of the GLCMB.
Deadpool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 07:47 AM   #36
Andrew NDB
Shot Caller
 
Andrew NDB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Evergreen State
Posts: 13,594
Blog Entries: 5
Send a message via Yahoo to Andrew NDB
Default

The oath thing is beyond stupid to me. The GLs have an oath because that's the way they're structured... but as the 80s GLC books showed us, it wasn't about any specific oath, but just some kind of generic pledge that any GL could come up with that is unique to the individual.

Which makes it even more retarded that all the Corps now all have oaths with the same number of syllables as the default GL oath. Why would this happen?

The only Corps that even have any business with oaths are the GLs, Sinestros (it would make sense Sinestro would pattern his Corps after the GLs, even if their whole genesis -- and this seems to get forgotten -- was just to trick the Guardians into allowing GLs to kill), and the Blue Lanterns.
Andrew NDB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 05:56 PM   #37
Deadpool
Fight like a man: with your words, not your fists.
 
Deadpool's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: The bed of whoever pays for the night.
Posts: 5,793
Blog Entries: 5
Default

I'm supprised the red lantern oath is not just "ROOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR RRRRR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by IonFan View Post
(even if the ear sucking helped get me off faster)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Daddy Caesar View Post
If I had things like the internet and a laptop as a kid, I never would have left my room as a teenager.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quaker View Post
I am the Geoff Johns of the GLCMB.
Deadpool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 07:11 PM   #38
SD80MAC
Not a True Fan
 
SD80MAC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 5,018
Default

The Red Lantern oath is any and all Cannibal Corpse songs.

Well, it should be, anyway.
__________________
The last fan of 1990s comics
Read my Green Lantern blog The Indigo Tribe
SD80MAC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 01:52 AM   #39
Trigger
Hal's Understudy
 
Trigger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 539
Default

Maybe the rings just translate the oaths into fancy rhyming syllables for us
__________________
Trigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 03:29 AM   #40
The_Mad_Dragon
Captain Pervert
 
The_Mad_Dragon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Zamaron
Posts: 4,902
Send a message via AIM to The_Mad_Dragon Send a message via Yahoo to The_Mad_Dragon
Default

Discovery Channel already gave you one.

BOOM-DE-ADA

+ YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.
__________________
The_Mad_Dragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 05:52 PM   #41
BlackZero30x
Guy's Drinking Buddy
 
BlackZero30x's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 235
Default

It's the exact opposite as the Black Lantern oath.....

The Brightest Day ascends from the ground,
The light shrinks as all darkness Lives,
I reject your cruelty and your creation,
By my white foot, the living shall fall!

EDIT: that actually kinda works lol except for the last line that is.
__________________

Last edited by BlackZero30x; 11-14-2012 at 05:56 PM.
BlackZero30x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 10:51 AM   #42
beefrocks
Corps Recruit
 
beefrocks's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 4
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackZero30x View Post
It's the exact opposite as the Black Lantern oath.....

The Brightest Day ascends from the ground,
The light shrinks as all darkness Lives,
I reject your cruelty and your creation,
By my white foot, the living shall fall!

EDIT: that actually kinda works lol except for the last line that is.
I had gone down that thought path, and I came up with something like this:

The Brightest Day comes from the deeps,
Dispells the dark that prowls and creeps.
The Blackness no more souls will reap.
Make no mistake: it's life we keep!

Poe I am not.
__________________
One time, I said "They should make a Green Lantern movie." Then, they did.
beefrocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 01:43 PM   #43
Space Cop
The Dandy
 
Space Cop's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: The Third State
Posts: 25,678
Blog Entries: 2
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by beefrocks View Post
...Poe I am not.
To be fair, though, Poe probably wouldn't have tried the white lantern oath.
__________________
Space Cop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 02:55 PM   #44
BlackZero30x
Guy's Drinking Buddy
 
BlackZero30x's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 235
Default

I like it!
__________________
BlackZero30x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 02:02 AM   #45
Blue Lantern
Green Lantern Initiate
 
Blue Lantern's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: USA
Posts: 439
Blog Entries: 1
Default

not bad at all
__________________
Blue Lantern is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 10:40 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.3
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.