The Green Lantern Corps Message Board

Go Back   The Green Lantern Corps Message Board > Green Lanternverse > Green Lantern Vol. 4
FLASHCHAT

GL Volume 4

Old 02-04-2011, 06:41 AM   #1
sinostrius
Kyle's Nude Model

Default White Lantern Oath?

Are they ever going to reveal the Oath Johns promises?

Heres one from the DC boards I thought was cool.

IN BRIGHTEST DAY
THERE WILL BE LIGHT
TO CLEANSE THE SOUL,
AND SET WRONGS RIGHT
WHEN DARKNESS FALLS
LOOK TO THE SKY
A NEW DAWN COMES
LET THERE BE LIGHT!
sinostrius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 04:46 PM   #2
SD80MAC
Not a True Fan

Johns also promised an Orange Lantern oath a long time ago. I think he's talking out of his ass.
Old 02-04-2011, 06:41 PM   #3
VeesFistOfDeath
Green Lantern

thats not have bad

its all bad
VeesFistOfDeath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 01:21 PM   #4
TheHorseman
Green Lantern Initiate

They should just take a page from "Demolition Man"

"Illuminate"
Old 02-08-2011, 01:52 AM   #5
GreenLantern888
Alpha-Lantern

Send a message via AIM to GreenLantern888 Send a message via MSN to GreenLantern888 Send a message via Yahoo to GreenLantern888 Send a message via Skype™ to GreenLantern888

It'll come soon, probably during Brightest Day or by the end of it.

Villain Draft (Best Team Winner)/Proud Supporter of the DCnU
GreenLantern888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 02:26 PM   #6
SD80MAC
Not a True Fan

This thread has inspired me to write a post about the oaths.

And why they all need to go.
Old 02-08-2011, 02:39 PM   #7
jGLZa
Guy's Drinking Buddy

My bet is when the ring finally finds the REAL white lantern.
Old 02-08-2011, 02:55 PM   #8
myuserid
Lantern Hex

Quote:
Originally Posted by SD80MAC View Post
This thread has inspired me to write a post about the oaths.

And why they all need to go.
Where is that?

I'd like to read it.
Old 02-08-2011, 03:06 PM   #9
SD80MAC
Not a True Fan

I haven't written it yet.
Old 02-08-2011, 03:14 PM   #10
myuserid
Lantern Hex

Quote:
Originally Posted by SD80MAC View Post
I haven't written it yet.
Which would explain why I couldn't find it.
Old 02-08-2011, 06:58 PM   #11
Dr. Naysay
Guardian of the Universe

They don;'t need to exist because the Green Lantern Corps is the only actual ORGANIZATION.

The oath for the Green Lantern Corps has nothing to do with the source of their power or the existence of the Emotional Spectrum (so fucking stupid). It has to do with the fact that they are a group of individuals acting in concert towards a common good.

The oath is about loyalty and service... not about having magical powers from a logically unsound macguffin on your finger.

I hate the idea that every corps gets an oath and I hate all of you for constantly wondering about them.

Stop it.
Dr. Naysay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 07:01 PM   #12
SD80MAC
Not a True Fan

What Naysay said kinda sums up my upcoming post, but in harsher language.
Old 02-08-2011, 07:15 PM   #13
Mister Ed
Horse of a Different Color

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Naysay View Post
They don;'t need to exist because the Green Lantern Corps is the only actual ORGANIZATION.

The oath for the Green Lantern Corps has nothing to do with the source of their power or the existence of the Emotional Spectrum (so fucking stupid). It has to do with the fact that they are a group of individuals acting in concert towards a common good.

The oath is about loyalty and service... not about having magical powers from a logically unsound macguffin on your finger.

I hate the idea that every corps gets an oath and I hate all of you for constantly wondering about them.

Stop it.
Well, I wouldn't say that the GLC is the only organization. I think having a Sinestro Corps oath makes sense, since it was a conscious attempt by Sinestro (a former GLC member) to create a mirror organization to the GLC. Plus he gets his ego stroked whenever everybody recites an oath with his name in it.

It makes no sense, though, to think Larfleeze has an Oath. And it is rather implausible that the Red Lanterns, even though they ARE an organization with some manner of common goals, would consciously mimic the GL oath to the extent of being the same length, rhythm, and meter, given their hatred for the Guardians.

The Blues, being an organization founded by Ganthet, makes more sense in terms of having a similar type of oath.

The Indigo, if we ever find out what their Oath means, and exactly what role (if any) Abin Sur had in their founding, MIGHT make sense, given that Abin was a GL.

The Sapphires? I still kind of dislike the retcon that made them into a Corps to begin with. And their historic disagreement with the Guardians would, you would think, AT LEAST lead to any "oath" taking a somewhat different format. I'm a little nebulous on the goals of their Corps nowadays, anwyay, since they seem to have given up the retconned in goal of freezing entire planets in crystal out of "love".
Old 02-08-2011, 07:22 PM   #14
StelMK2
Fatality's Blacksmith

Isnt the Red Oath something Attrocitus used to have visions anyway? i think he uses it in secret origin, so he might just have a liking for that phrase of words
Old 02-08-2011, 07:54 PM   #15
Dr. Naysay
Guardian of the Universe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister Ed View Post
Well, I wouldn't say that the GLC is the only organization. I think having a Sinestro Corps oath makes sense, since it was a conscious attempt by Sinestro (a former GLC member) to create a mirror organization to the GLC. Plus he gets his ego stroked whenever everybody recites an oath with his name in it.
I understand why Sinestro would make his Yellow Lanterns to swear an oath to HIM.... but nothing about how the Sinestro Corps is written makes any sense.

So I reject that.

Quote:
It makes no sense, though, to think Larfleeze has an Oath.
No. No it doesn't.

Quote:
And it is rather implausible that the Red Lanterns, even though they ARE an organization with some manner of common goals, would consciously mimic the GL oath to the extent of being the same length, rhythm, and meter, given their hatred for the Guardians.
Red Lanterns are creatures of mindless rage. They're barely self aware. An oath is an exorcise in sacrifice. An acknowledgment of fealty to something larger than oneself.

If Red Lanterns were given a CHOICE in their membership or behavior then I would argue that the oath might be an incredibly effective method of "control".... but from what we've seen... the Red Ring just takes your shit over. Making an oath redundant, meaningless and hackneyed.

Quote:
The Blues, being an organization founded by Ganthet, makes more sense in terms of having a similar type of oath.
OK... I'll give you that one. The Blue Lanterns probably would (and I guess do) have an oath.

But it's still stupid.

Quote:
The Indigo, if we ever find out what their Oath means, and exactly what role (if any) Abin Sur had in their founding, MIGHT make sense, given that Abin was a GL.
Yea... ok.

Quote:
The Sapphires? I still kind of dislike the retcon that made them into a Corps to begin with. And their historic disagreement with the Guardians would, you would think, AT LEAST lead to any "oath" taking a somewhat different format. I'm a little nebulous on the goals of their Corps nowadays, anwyay, since they seem to have given up the retconned in goal of freezing entire planets in crystal out of "love".
That's just the thing tho innit?

The other Corps simply don't operate in the same fashion as the Green Lantern Corps. They have essentially identical powers (which is idiotic and getting idioticer by the month) but not the same motivations.

For example....

why would all the other corps recognize the arbitrary designations of space sectors? If you could make an infinite number of power rings... why limit yourself to 3600 or 7200 members of your corps?

If you had a limited number of rings that your corps could support and you had no altruistic guiding principles... why not ignore the previously established sector system and focus on more populated sectors.
Old 02-08-2011, 08:15 PM   #16
Mister Ed

What the heck? I've got a post all typed out, and it won't let me submit it?

Maybe if I edit it into this post, it will work.

Nope.

Quote:
why would all the other corps recognize the arbitrary designations of space sectors? If you could make an infinite number of power rings... why limit yourself to 3600 or 7200 members of your corps?

If you had a limited number of rings that your corps could support and you had no altruistic guiding principles... why not ignore the previously established sector system and focus on more populated sectors.
Quote:

Well, again, I can see Sinestro's motivation to doing so, since he is consciously creating a mirror to the GLC. And the blues are created by Ganthet, and, ideally, function to support the GLC, so a similar sector breakdown makes sense, and I would expect them to max out at the same numbers (though they are nowhere near that yet).

Last edited by Mister Ed; 02-08-2011 at 08:19 PM.
Mister Ed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 08:24 PM   #17
Mister Ed

Here's the rest. It won't let me edit the above any more, even to get rid of the double quote.

But the Sapphires having the same numbers and sectors? No sense (at least, not any more- back when it was their goal to matchup with the Sector GL, then use them to encase the world in crystal, such direct correspondence DID make sense- even though the whole idea was stupid). The Indigos? Well, I'm not even sure that they do. We don't know enough about them to say for sure. But given that their role doesn't seem tied to the GLC in any way, either as support or antagonist, it would make little sense for them to have those same divisions and numbers. Orange, as we know, DOES function completely differently.

Red having the same Sectors and numbers is nonsensical (and I think it HAS been established that they do, hasn't it?) I mean, they don't patrol, and they seem more likely to swarm against their enemies than to face them one-on-one. I can't see why Atrocitus would limit his Corps if his goal is revenge. The more the merrier. THIS is the one that makes the least sense. And of course, this is the one that is getting its own ongoing title! Hopefully the writer will be able to redefine the Reds in a way that makes more sense...

Last edited by Mister Ed; 02-08-2011 at 08:27 PM.
Mister Ed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011, 10:46 PM   #18
Orion Pax
Iolande's Bodyguard

Regarding the Sinestro corps not making sense. It makes about as much sense as a force of 7200 green and black spandex dressed aliens walking around in space. If I had the trouble I could pretty much dissed the DC verse and find tons of shit tat is stupidly written and retarded.

There´s something called Suspension of Desbilief. Use sometimes.
Old 02-10-2011, 12:50 AM   #19
philbova
Kilowog's Recruit

Call me stupid, but arguing over who should have an oath or not is really a bad disagreement to indulge in. I find it rather cool that THEY ARE ALL in some way or another a form of organization of some sort. So this would make sense to have oaths for the honor of there respective clubs. Sorry if I offended anyone.
philbova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 01:20 AM   #20
Mister Ed

Quote:
Originally Posted by philbova View Post
Call me stupid, but arguing over who should have an oath or not is really a bad disagreement to indulge in. I find it rather cool that THEY ARE ALL in some way or another a form of organization of some sort. So this would make sense to have oaths for the honor of there respective clubs. Sorry if I offended anyone.
I doubt anybody was offended.

I think, though, that what some are saying is that, as "organizations" they are all very different, and them all not only having oaths (though as far as we know Larfleeze doesn't, nor, IMHO, should he), but oaths that follow the same exact pattern, rhythm, meter, and even have the same length, is kind of goofy (and in the case of the Red Lanterns especially, is nonsensical).
Old 02-10-2011, 01:47 AM   #21
Dr. Naysay
Guardian of the Universe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orion Pax View Post
Regarding the Sinestro corps not making sense. It makes about as much sense as a force of 7200 green and black spandex dressed aliens walking around in space. If I had the trouble I could pretty much dissed the DC verse and find tons of shit tat is stupidly written and retarded.

There´s something called Suspension of Desbilief. Use sometimes.
No. It doesn't.

The Green Lantern Corps have a Mission Statement. They have traditions, customs, protocol and purpose. They have chain of command. They have beings of unfathomable and unexplained power as figureheads and mentors.

The Sinestro Corps has..................................

Sinestro? Lots of "EPIC" and "BAD ASS" characters? What's their goal? What do they do when not on panel fighting the GLC? Why do they follow the sector designations?

The Sinestro Corps are the equivalent of zombies in a horror movie. You're not meant to wonder what they do when they're not tearing at the flesh of your protagonist because anything more than a cursory glance reveals that they make no sense.

I see your "suspension of disbelief" with my "critical thinking" and I raise you with "don't be such a dumb ass".
Old 02-10-2011, 04:26 AM   #22
d3v1lb0y
Red Lantern Black Ops

Quote:
Originally Posted by sinostrius View Post
Are they ever going to reveal the Oath Johns promises?

Heres one from the DC boards I thought was cool.

IN BRIGHTEST DAY
THERE WILL BE LIGHT
TO CLEANSE THE SOUL,
AND SET WRONGS RIGHT
WHEN DARKNESS FALLS
LOOK TO THE SKY
A NEW DAWN COMES
LET THERE BE LIGHT!
Sounds good!!

facebook: d3v1lb0y888 ...twitter: d3v1lb0y_8 ..instagram: d3v1lb0y
d3v1lb0y is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 01:44 PM   #23
SD80MAC
Not a True Fan

Quote:
The Sinestro Corps are the equivalent of zombies in a horror movie. You're not meant to wonder what they do when they're not tearing at the flesh of your protagonist because anything more than a cursory glance reveals that they make no sense.
No, that was the Black Lanterns. The Sinestro Corps are more like the "evil empire."
Old 02-10-2011, 04:13 PM   #24
Cyber Bishop
Fatality's Blacksmith

Send a message via AIM to Cyber Bishop Send a message via MSN to Cyber Bishop Send a message via Yahoo to Cyber Bishop

Jeez.. Opinions are squashed left and right here...

WHATEVER YOU THINK IS WRONG..

I AM RIGHT!

Come on, let people have their opinions without squashing them. Just because someone thinks something is stupid does not mean that everyone HAS to agree.

You have to love the anonymity of the internet..

Regardless if we like it or not, they (being the comic creators) will continue to do things to their liking even if it does not make sense to us.

Deal with it.

My thought is this, it a comic book and in comics nothing makes sense, they are a form of entertainment.

Does EVERYTHING have to be over analyzed and scrutinized?
Old 02-10-2011, 04:16 PM   #25
myuserid
Lantern Hex

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyber Bishop View Post
Does EVERYTHING have to be over analyzed and scrutinized?
Yes.