The Green Lantern Corps Message Board

Go Back   The Green Lantern Corps Message Board > Green Lanternverse > Green Lantern on the Screen
FLASHCHAT

GL in Animation

Old 01-10-2010, 06:28 AM   #1
GLCMattSaxe

Thumbs up Movie Suggestions, Thoughts, and more.

Nothing would make me happier if they took the amazing script and stories and characters created by Alan Moore and Geoff Johns and wove them into the movie. I was thinking that the moment I heard about the announcement of the film.

I think that if they introduced it in this (hopefully the first of a series of GL movies) it could be amazing and lead naturally into the sequels that we all want to see-i.e. Emerald Twilight/New Dawn, Rebirth, Sinestro Corps War, War of Light, Blackest Night. Of course, all of that is in my wildest fantasy-but a guy can dream can't he?

The way to do it is right with Abin Surs first appearance in the spaceship-a brief glimpse of Atrocitus leaping out of the ship, the audience hearing the laughter of the inversions and a brief glimpse of Qull as an image in the mind of a dying Abin Sur like in "Tygers", it could be done. All in a quick and efficient way that would send us GL fans in a coma of happiness.

Of course Hollywood being what it is (and I know, I lived there for 8 years and worked as an actor in film/TV and theatre and theme parks) they probably won't do that at all. They'll worry about it being too over regular folks heads, and they figure to make millions from the movie anyway. It'll obviously be a tent-pole flick and get a huge publicity and merchandise push with all the tie=ins they can think of because GL is not as well known a character as Superman or Batman or Wonder Woman, or Marvel characters like Spider-Man or the Hulk. Even with the critical and popular success of "Justice League" and "Justice League Unlimited". GL is different from those characters, and thats what makes him special of course. Its why we love Hal, Kyle, John, and Guy

Its so exciting to think about how good this movie could be if they really treat the character and the source material seriously and with respect. Respect being the key word. That doesn't mean it can't be fun or funny. "Iron Man" did a great job of balancing humor with the serious drama, and I expect just the same in "Iron Man 2" and hopefully "Green Lantern". Some psuedo-intellectuals still think of comic books as "funnybooks" that only kids, nerdy teens, and nerdy adults read. And this is all after "Maus" won a Pulitzer Prize, and so many other comics have shown what an incredible medium it is. The problem is, while some people respect certain comics and their writers in certain forms-like Pekar in "American Splendor" and Spiegelman in "Maus", when it comes to super-heroes-they throw objectivity out the window and dismiss them.

As a huge GL fan, I love the writing and crafting of the characters in these stories. Sinestro has become not only the greatest villain in all of comics right now, but in my opinion, he has become one of Literatures greatest villains-with goals, motivations, and actions that make him simply fascinating to watch and study. Sinestro is a villain that will last forever and deserves more respect.

I hope the rest of the casting is done well. I personally am not crazy about Reynolds and Lively, but I am willing to keep an open mind. I wanted Bradley Cooper and Eva Green. However, after I heard about how Cooper blew his final audition, and how he didn't seem to take the material or the character seriously-I figured...his loss. I still wish Eva Green got Carol-I truly think she is not only one of the most attractive actresses working today, but also one of the most talented. She would have been great. But thats not going to happen.

I have read all sorts of suggestions for Sinestro-like Jackie Earle Haley and Jason Issacs, and Hector Hammond-and again, am willing to keep an open mind. I just hope its the right choice and not chosen for name-value alone, because as much as I admire Kevin Spacey as an actor (and I think he's great in every way) I was not pleased with his performance as Lex Luthor-and that movie. Victor Garbers voice-over for "First Flight" showed the real arrogance and superiority and drive of Sinestro. IMHO.

Like all of you ( I would assume) I am thrilled about this movie and can't wait for it to start production and will be one of the first in line to see it. Lets hope for the best.

GL FOREVER!

Here's a link to my documentary "Vice-Precedence:Being Number Two in the White House" check it out and become a Fan on Facebook and follow our blog. http://www.viceprecedence.com

Tags
casting, green lantern, movie, sinestro, vice-precedence