The Green Lantern Corps Message Board

Go Back   The Green Lantern Corps Message Board > Green Lanternverse > Green Lantern Corps/Emerald Warriors/John Stewart
FLASHCHAT

Green Lantern Corps
View Poll Results: Should John get his own book?
Yes, he deserves it 40 60.61%
No, he's a better supporting/backup player 24 36.36%
Ugh, too many books as is! 2 3.03%
Voters: 66. You may not vote on this poll

Old 06-25-2007, 04:50 PM   #1
Andrew NDB
Shot Caller

Send a message via Yahoo to Andrew NDB
Default Should he get his own book?

Let's take it to the polls!
Andrew NDB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2007, 05:05 PM   #2
Parrylakks
Anti-Monitor

Like Guy, I think John is a great backup, but when carrying his own storyline he gets boring, and for the opposite reason as Guy. Guy is too weird, and gets annoying, but John... he's too straight forward. He's the good guys good guy.

There just isn't good movement behind him, its always the same, and that gets boring. Mosaic was good at the start... but after a while it just felt like they were pushing it too hard, and it ultimately failed.

The only GLs who really deserve their own comic are Hal and Kyle... at least they can carry stories well, and they both have very intricate pasts that can play nicely into their stories (if given the chance). Johns has shown this with Hal, but he doesn't go into it like he should.

I mean, when he found out the GLs he thought he killed were captives of the Manhunters, I was like COOL!!! And then when he got there and they started fighting him, I was like AWESOME!!! But then at the end when they said he should watch it, but ultimately forgave him, the whole thing not being even touched on since... I was like WTF?!

Kick the shit out of Hal! He deserves it!!!
... and thats coming from a huge Hal fan.
Old 06-25-2007, 06:07 PM   #3
Andrew NDB
Shot Caller

Send a message via Yahoo to Andrew NDB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas JPtakk View Post
Like Guy, I think John is a great backup, but when carrying his own storyline he gets boring, and for the opposite reason as Guy. Guy is too weird, and gets annoying, but John... he's too straight forward. He's the good guys good guy.

There just isn't good movement behind him, its always the same, and that gets boring. Mosaic was good at the start... but after a while it just felt like they were pushing it too hard, and it ultimately failed.

The only GLs who really deserve their own comic are Hal and Kyle... at least they can carry stories well, and they both have very intricate pasts that can play nicely into their stories (if given the chance). Johns has shown this with Hal, but he doesn't go into it like he should.

I mean, when he found out the GLs he thought he killed were captives of the Manhunters, I was like COOL!!! And then when he got there and they started fighting him, I was like AWESOME!!! But then at the end when they said he should watch it, but ultimately forgave him, the whole thing not being even touched on since... I was like WTF?!

Kick the shit out of Hal! He deserves it!!!
... and thats coming from a huge Hal fan.
Pretty much agree on all points. Though I would add that if Hal and Kyle deserve their own books (and they do), Alan Scott deserves one long before guys like Guy and John... it's just a pity they've run such roughshod over his continuity in the passing decade.

He's young, he's old, he's young again, he's old again, he's Green Lantern, now he's not, he's retired, now he's not, now he's Sentinel, now he's Green Lantern, he needs a ring, he doesn't need a ring, he gets a ring anyway (does he still need it? no one knows)... ugh. It's embarassing to try and keep up with Alan, and I'm a big Green Lantern fan -- hate to imagine what it's like for the casual comic fan.
Andrew NDB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2007, 06:21 PM   #4
Parrylakks
Anti-Monitor

I gave up trying to figure Alan out a long time ago.
(and I mean that in more than one way)
Old 06-25-2007, 10:30 PM   #5
5-ball

Better back up player. But if they did put out a book I would buy it.
Old 06-26-2007, 01:17 AM   #6
ringslinger74

I do think he should have his own book...I just think that it has to be a writer that actually likes the character. Unfortunately I don't think DC editorial or their writers have much interest in the character. John is my personal fav, but for the past ten or fifteen years no writer has really gotten him.

-Erik
Old 06-26-2007, 04:01 AM   #7
GLJIMT

I think all the Human GL's should have there own book because I want to read stories about all of them although I have not cared for JS since he stepped out of the WheelChair .... I loved those scenes in Warriors with Kyle going to Guy and John for advice
GLJIMT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2007, 03:27 PM   #8
Mister Ed
Horse of a Different Color

Mosaic was one of the best comics I've ever read. If it was ANYTHING like that in terms of quality, then I'd support it in a heartbeat.
Mister Ed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2007, 05:42 PM   #9
Parrylakks
Anti-Monitor

See... now I like the Mosiac mini-series in the base run GL comic, but when I read Mosaic, the actualy comic series, I got easily bored after teh first few issues. Thats one of the reasons I have my opinion of John that he is too narrow of a character.
Parrylakks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2007, 06:06 PM   #10
5-ball

Mosaic just didn't keep my interest. I own the whole series but I don't think I read that last three or four issues. I guess I'm not the intellectual, reflective type. I want action and carnage on a universal scale.
Old 06-27-2007, 08:46 PM   #11
GLJIMT

Mosaic had real potential that could have been used better then it was but all in all I enjoyed the read
Old 06-27-2007, 09:29 PM   #12
Parrylakks
Anti-Monitor

Thats John's key problem... he can't carry a story for more than a few issues. He's too narrow (do I say that too much?) of a character. He's an awesome supporting character, but you've got to remember, everything that made him somewhat interesting in the JLU cartoons was stolen from Hal and Kyle... kinda sad really.
Old 06-27-2007, 10:16 PM   #13
GLJIMT

I agree. Like I have previously said I enjoyed John the best when he was in a wheelchair.
Old 06-28-2007, 03:04 AM   #14
Parrylakks
Anti-Monitor

LOL... I like that cover pic of him screaming while in the wheel chair... it makes me giggle.
Old 07-02-2007, 05:13 AM   #15
Martley of 2814

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parrylakks View Post
LOL... I like that cover pic of him screaming while in the wheel chair... it makes me giggle.

For you.

I never really had any love for John. He's so different depending on what year he's being written. I never get a good feel for OK, This is John.

At first he's like all street smart, then he's architechtural, then he's a screwup then he's some kind of sage advice giver to Kyle then he's a GL again.

His demeanor and way he talks is sooooo different all the time too.
Old 07-03-2007, 03:55 AM   #16
GLJIMT

I am curious to know how many times John has been taken over by people. If I am not mistaken Sinestro mind controlled him into killing Ch'p ????? I really need to reread Mosaic.
Old 07-04-2007, 07:02 AM   #17
Martley of 2814

Quote:
Originally Posted by GLJIMT View Post
I am curious to know how many times John has been taken over by people. If I am not mistaken Sinestro mind controlled him into killing Ch'p ????? I really need to reread Mosaic.
Ch'P is dead?? Where did this happen or are you joking?
Old 07-04-2007, 01:54 PM   #18
ringslinger74

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martley of 2814 View Post
I never really had any love for John. He's so different depending on what year he's being written. I never get a good feel for OK, This is John.

At first he's like all street smart, then he's architechtural, then he's a screwup then he's some kind of sage advice giver to Kyle then he's a GL again.

His demeanor and way he talks is sooooo different all the time too.
I agree that most writers don't get what's actually interesting about the character and thusly all have a completely different take on him. This is why I stand by my opinion that DC needs to spend some time re-introducing the character to the fans and other writers. Give him a new status quo and reestablish his personality then maybe he'll get some love.

-Erik
Old 07-06-2007, 01:03 AM   #19
Guka2814
Green Lantern Initiate

I never read Mosaic but now i think i need to get it. i think they should start John of wit a lil story arc in the new gl books and see how that goes. no hal just john.
Old 07-06-2007, 03:01 PM   #20
Mister Ed
Horse of a Different Color

Quote:
Originally Posted by GLJIMT View Post
Not quite. Ch'p was killed by a yellow truck (which I thought was rather lame, especially since the Mosaic take on Ch'p was MUCH better than the stupid Disneyfied version we saw in GLC. He actually seemed like an alien), not by John. However, the reason he was so stunned that he didn't react fast enough to get out of the way was that he had witnessed a Sinestro-possessed John attacking the road the night before.
Old 07-07-2007, 04:16 AM   #21
GLJIMT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister Ed View Post
Not quite. Ch'p was killed by a yellow truck (which I thought was rather lame, especially since the Mosaic take on Ch'p was MUCH better than the stupid Disneyfied version we saw in GLC. He actually seemed like an alien), not by John. However, the reason he was so stunned that he didn't react fast enough to get out of the way was that he had witnessed a Sinestro-possessed John attacking the road the night before.
Yeah I knew it was a yellow truck but I thought JS as controlled by Sinestro had done it but I guess he would have made a Green Truck so I should have known better. Thanks for straightening me out.
Old 07-17-2007, 04:12 PM   #22
Big Daddy Dave Skywalker
Moisture Farmer

I think John works best as a supporting character, but he's always had the potential to hold his own in stories.

If DC does a spin off GL series starring John, I'll buy it. I think it's just a matter of the right writer coming up with the right idea for a book. If it's just John having adventures as a regular GL, then it isn't worth doing. At least GLC has it's own ideantity to make it different from GL. Much like they did with Mosiac (which I always thought was a unique and great idea for a book), they need a nitche that would make a book starring John stand out on it's own.
Old 07-17-2007, 11:31 PM   #23
Chris Says

As much as I would like John to have an ongoing, I'd rather DC give him a years 1 - 3 mini series to define his origin ( pre-Hal ), GL training, and just overall estabish a definative voice that other " creators " wont just take liberties with.

I agree with Dave that it's gonna take a special writer to write John as a unique Green Lantern ( I don't think any of DC's current writers outside of McDuffie gets him ).

But as long as DC's current writers and longtime fans continue to accept and allow him to be seen as just a " supporting character ", John Stewart will never evolve into nothing more.
Old 07-25-2007, 03:41 AM   #24
G'nortDoggie88

^ Seconded. Personally, I would rather read a book with any GL, even Mogo, than to read one starring Hal or Kyle. Their personalities come off as practically interchangeable with a few superficial differences, especially now that they've gone and made Kyle Parallax so as to say "SEE ANYONE CAN BE PARALLAX LOL".

I liked Mosaic and I also liked Guy Gardner, even when he became Warrior. Both Guy and John, despite their limited appearances, seemed to grow more as characters than Hal and Kyle. You can get a Hal story or a Kyle story and know largely what to expect, but with John and Guy it's like an evolution.
Old 11-08-2007, 11:56 PM   #25
Emerald Warrior JS

Realisticlly I know he'd never get his own book,but I wouldnt mind if he & Hal did a book together even if they had two stories in one book going on.