The Green Lantern Corps Message Board

Go Back   The Green Lantern Corps Message Board > General > General/About Us
FLASHCHAT

General

Old 05-07-2017, 03:29 AM   #6476
Space Cop
The Dandy

Backbeat (1994)

"We're gonna be big, Stu. We're gonna be too big for Liverpool. We're gonna be too big for Hamburg. We're gonna be too big for our own bloody good."

I'm not sure how I missed this movie. It's about the German tours of the early Beatles and focusing on the short-lived Stu Sutcliffe. Pretty good.

Guardians of the Galaxy (2014)

"Who put the sticks up their butts?"

Last edited by Space Cop; 05-10-2017 at 03:06 AM.
Space Cop is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2017, 01:32 AM   #6477
robojac
Green Lantern

Guardians Of The Galaxy Vol. 2 (2017)

robojac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2017, 03:06 AM   #6478
Space Cop
The Dandy

The Shallows (2016)

"There's no sharks here."

Godzilla vs. Hedorah (1971)

"It probably came from a sticky, dark planet far, far away. Now go to sleep."

R.I.P., Banno-san.
Old 05-10-2017, 03:13 PM   #6479
Darth_Primus
Guardian of the Universe

Darth_Primus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2017, 03:35 AM   #6480
Space Cop
The Dandy

It's the anniversary (62, now) of Ed Wood's classic again and I'm in the habit of watching it at least once a year (usually more):

Bride of the Monster (1955)

"Now here in this forsaken jungle hell I have proven that I am all right."

And for the full moon last night:

Waxwork (1988)

"They'll make a movie about anything nowadays."
Old 05-12-2017, 07:03 AM   #6481
robojac
Green Lantern

The Magnificent Seven (2016)

Old 05-12-2017, 02:32 PM   #6482
Space Cop
The Dandy

Sanctum (2011)

"She's strong like bull, smart like tractor."
Old 05-12-2017, 04:21 PM   #6483
Sylent_Asassin
Black Lantern

Beat Street

Old 05-12-2017, 08:51 PM   #6484
Space Cop
The Dandy

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Out of the Shadows (2016)

"What would Vin Diesel do?"

Hitler's Children (2011)

"But not every story has a happy ending. Very often, there's no ending at all."

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sylent_Asassin View Post
Beat Street
It's not my kind of music or dancing, but I need to see that some day because it definitely has a following.

Last edited by Space Cop; 05-14-2017 at 12:15 AM.
Old 05-13-2017, 09:46 AM   #6485
robojac
Green Lantern

Miss Peregrine's Home For Peculiar Children (2016)

Old 05-14-2017, 12:15 AM   #6486
Space Cop
The Dandy

Dreamscape (1984)

"Nice place you got here. Who's your decorator? Darth Vader?"

MST3K: Laserblast (1978/1996)

"Pepsi gave them big bucks to place Coke in this movie."
Old 05-14-2017, 01:05 AM   #6487
Agent Purple
The Illustrated Man

^How good were those?

This Is Spinal Tap (1984)

"Well, it's one louder, isn't it? It's not ten. You see, most blokes, you know, will be playing at ten. You're on ten here, all the way up, all the way up, all the way up, you're on ten on your guitar. Where can you go from there? Where?"

The documentary ("rockumentary") of a heavy metal band, showcasing their vapid personalities, eccentric shows, terrible marketing, and underwhelming success, spoofing nearly every part of the rock 'n' roll lifestyle.

I heard about this a long time ago, from another kid in high school (circa 2003/4), but never got around to checking it out.

Now I'm glad I did.

This thing is hilarious. It's so straight-faced in how these guys think they're great, but they mismanage themselves into the ground and somehow just keep shuffling along.

Their "pod" and "Stonehenge" set moments were goddamn hilarious, and I noticed the "18 inches" mistake right off the bat when they were planning it. Personally, I think it looked good even as a screw-up (the intro monologue was great, I thought).

Overall a damn funny flick, something any music buff should check out. Oh, and there was an article (I originally had trouble even viewing it once, because of issues with the host site), satirically claiming that the official soundtrack to this film has to date only made $98 USD. To quote a reddit user, "This is the most Spinal Tap thing ever."

Highly recommend.

Daylight Wall stands forever. No wall stands against it. Bring them down.

Villain Draft 3: Fourth Place Winner
Agent Purple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2017, 01:26 AM   #6488
robojac
Green Lantern

The Girl On The Train (2016)

Old 05-14-2017, 03:10 AM   #6489
Space Cop
The Dandy

Waxwork II: Lost in Time (1992)

"Before I kill you, tell me; from what village does such reckless impetuosity originate?
-America!
Of course!"

MST3K: Revenge of the Creature (1955/1997)

"Think anybody at the Rockefeller Foundation questioned the dynamite line-item?"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agent Purple View Post
^How good were those?
Oh, if you've never seen Dreamscape, you'd totally dig it. Way, way before Inception (and only a few months before Nightmare on Elm Street) this movie was about a group of psychics turning to dream manipulation and assassination (and included the "are we in a dream now?" bit). Quaid is recruited by Max Van Sydow to join his study of guys that can enter other peoples dreams and theoretically help them. But Chris Plummer (what an all-star cast, right?) has more sinister plans with a much more unbalanced test subject. The snakeman nightmare scared the crap out of me as a kid. Now, it's just a really cool effect from the practical spfx days (both suitmation and stop motion).

As to Laserblast, I'd rank it as a pretty top-tier episode (one of the Mike Nelson ones and Dr. Forrester's last appearance) of MST3K. It's one of the dozen or so available on Instant Netflix and it was a re-watch for me. Perhaps my favorite bit is when they really drag Leonard Maltin over the coals for giving the movie 2.5 stars as they go through his guide and list some classic or well-regarded movies that he ranked the same or only .5 stars more.

Quote:
This Is Spinal Tap (1984)...This thing is hilarious...
Everyone needs to see Spinal Tap. All mocumentaries and a lot of comedy since then owe a tip of the hat to Reiner and crew. I first saw a chunk of it on HBO or something and (like a lot of people in the 80s, apparently), thought it was a real band. The first time I saw it through, I loved it. I almost popped in my DVD the other day. Now, you're making me want to watch it again.

Quote:
Their "pod" and "Stonehenge" set moments were goddamn hilarious, and I noticed the "18 inches" mistake right off the bat when they were planning it. Personally, I think it looked good even as a screw-up (the intro monologue was great, I thought)...
The Stonehenge bit is definitely my favorite (though it's all gold from the cucumber to 11 and on and on). Anytime I hear someone ask which symbol means feet and inches I can't help but smile and flashback to that scene.

Last edited by Space Cop; 05-21-2017 at 12:11 AM.
Old 05-14-2017, 03:28 AM   #6490
Agent Purple
The Illustrated Man

Thinking of the cucumber scene, when I was a junior in high school, this group of students had a band that was performing at a talent show. Everyone wondered why the lead singer was wearing bright yellow spandex pants...and then he spread his legs while singing, and we all saw the lengthy bulge.

Admins cut the sound and pulled him off stage pretty fast, pretty sure he was suspended for a bit for that stunt. Goddamn hysterical, though.

Old 05-15-2017, 01:04 AM   #6491
Space Cop
The Dandy

Atari: Game Over (2014)

"In context, given the time and the situation that Howard had to live in to program that game, it really is an astonishing masterwork."

Tales of Masked Men (2012)

"Lucha Libre is a sport in the key of melodrama."

Old 05-15-2017, 06:31 AM   #6492
robojac
Green Lantern

Split (2017)

Old 05-18-2017, 11:51 PM   #6493
Space Cop
The Dandy

Passengers (2016)

"Jim, these are not robot questions."

The Masked Saint (2016)

"Where in the Bible does it say 'thous shalt not wrestle,' huh?"

Last edited by Space Cop; 05-19-2017 at 02:04 PM.
Old 05-19-2017, 04:57 AM   #6494
robojac
Green Lantern

Black Swan (2010)

Old 05-19-2017, 02:04 PM   #6495
Space Cop
The Dandy

Guardians of the Galaxy vol. 2 (2017)

"I'm Mary Poppins, y'all!"

Home (2015)

"Humans are more complicated than it said in the pamphlet."

Old 05-19-2017, 05:58 PM   #6496
Mister Ed
Horse of a Different Color

Quote:
^How good were those?

"Well, it's one louder, isn't it? It's not ten. You see, most blokes, you know, will be playing at ten. You're on ten here, all the way up, all the way up, all the way up, you're on ten on your guitar. Where can you go from there? Where?"

The documentary ("rockumentary") of a heavy metal band, showcasing their vapid personalities, eccentric shows, terrible marketing, and underwhelming success, spoofing nearly every part of the rock 'n' roll lifestyle.

I heard about this a long time ago, from another kid in high school (circa 2003/4), but never got around to checking it out.

Now I'm glad I did.

This thing is hilarious. It's so straight-faced in how these guys think they're great, but they mismanage themselves into the ground and somehow just keep shuffling along.

Their "pod" and "Stonehenge" set moments were goddamn hilarious, and I noticed the "18 inches" mistake right off the bat when they were planning it. Personally, I think it looked good even as a screw-up (the intro monologue was great, I thought).

Overall a damn funny flick, something any music buff should check out. Oh, and there was an article (I originally had trouble even viewing it once, because of issues with the host site), satirically claiming that the official soundtrack to this film has to date only made $98 USD. To quote a reddit user, "This is the most Spinal Tap thing ever."

Highly recommend.
The same group of actors (largely, anyway) were involved in several other mockumentaries that I also found hilarious. The ones I've seen were "Waiting for Guffman", "A Mighty Wind", and "Best in Show". Don't know if there were any others. I particularly recall finding "Best in Show" very amusing.
Old 05-20-2017, 01:14 AM   #6497
Space Cop
The Dandy

American Movie (1999)

"Why is it a sign of voodoo?
-It's an unnatural cross, Mark!
What, you think when Jesus was hanging there, he thought it was natural?"

Coven (1997)

"Three people in particular you have to stay away from when you're tripping on acid are police officers, psychiatrists, and psychologists."

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister Ed View Post
The same group of actors (largely, anyway) were involved in several other mockumentaries that I also found hilarious. The ones I've seen were "Waiting for Guffman", "A Mighty Wind", and "Best in Show". Don't know if there were any others. I particularly recall finding "Best in Show" very amusing.
Those are the ones I'm familiar with and they're all great. Apparently, Christopher Guest has also done Mascots and For Your Consideration (besides non-mockumentaries).

Last edited by Space Cop; 05-21-2017 at 12:10 AM.
Old 05-20-2017, 05:31 AM   #6498
robojac
Green Lantern

The Equalizer (2014)

Old 05-21-2017, 12:12 AM   #6499
Space Cop
The Dandy

Crumb (1994)

"You would always threaten to give us enemas if we didn't behave properly."

"The Boston gig has been cancelled.
-What?
Yeah. I wouldn't worry about it though, it's not a big college town."

Last edited by Space Cop; 05-25-2017 at 01:09 AM.
Old 05-21-2017, 12:18 AM   #6500
Agent Purple
The Illustrated Man

Monster Dog (1985)

"He's pulling on my hair!"

A rock star and his crew move back to his hometown and family home to find inspiration for new songs, but a series of brutal murders by wild dogs resurfaces old fears about the rocker's father, who was killed by locals who thought he was a werewolf.

Starring Alice Cooper and made by a bunch of Italians and Spanish/Mexicans (seriously, the credits are nothing but names from these two cultures, like a spaghetti western), this is a schlock flick, but I actually kind of liked it.

The camera work is sub-par, the lighting has more god rays than a Bethesda Softworks game, and there's more fog/mist than a '40s horror romp. The location is limited to a single place aside from some backroads: the mansion Cooper grew up in. It's spacious, but not especially large, and nothing in it really comes off as imposing, sinister, malicious, or really anything aside from generic; the place has no personality.

As such, there aren't exactly attention-getting visuals just from the scenery, and so we have to ask, "What does the cast look like?"

Cooper has some early costume work, dressing up as a small variety of characters, but for the rest of the film everyone is in plainclothes, which works because the film really only takes place over a couple of days' time. Except, you know, that they only seem to have their day clothes and their sleeping wear, when they aren't shooting a music video. Good planning ahead, guys.

The acting is pretty groan-worthy, with even Cooper dialing it in (doesn't help the script is pretty bad). The writer must have been told to start on Friday and finish on Saturday, because he had to attend mass on Sunday or something.

The action sequences (really only at the end) aren't terrible, but they aren't very exciting, but I blame that more on the whole film being rather lukewarm more than the scenes being themselves awful. The titular Monster Dog is hardly ever seen, so you don't get a good look at the design, but even when he shows up, it's more welcome than scary (I did like when he burst through the wall, and before that knocking on the door wasn't bad for build-up, but otherwise the painting was probably the most surprising showing).

The gore effects are actually okay, though I laughed when the one dude gets the top of his head blown clean off, only to make a whole range of facial expressions before dying.

I found the car constantly rocking when upside down to be very annoying.

Overall, definitely not winning any awards, but it isn't so bad that you can't spend an easy afternoon watching this with a beer in hand.