Announcement

Collapse

The point of this Forum Section

Some members are a little iffy on what should go in the Games & Humor forum section so.

Trivial games like "the person above you game" should be placed in this forum.

Humor of all kinds also belongs here, like the "Superman has a problem with kinky sex" thread.

What does not belong here would be things like video games, board games. Or humor coming directly out of comic books or discussion of books.

Boardgames and the like would go in the Action Figure and Toys section as could video games, though those could also be posted in the General Forum Section.

also any posts in this Forum Section do not count towards your post count.

Hope that helps!
See more
See less

2015 Reading Challenge

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2015 Reading Challenge

So, here's one that won't be done in 30 days (unless you have a lot of time and are a really, really voracious reader):

2015 Reading Challenge

Space Cop
    The Dandy
    Last edited by Space Cop; 01-01-2015, 03:52 PM.

So, my mother got this from a Facebook friend and showed me a copy.

I'm not sure I can finish this or want to. First, I'm a slow reader and although a lot of these can be combined, it would still probably be more than I'd read in a year (especially if I read anything that doesn't qualify). The last novel I read took me two months (though that is longer than usual).

Plus, I never cry for books and I'm not aware of any book set in my hometown, which is small (there are, however, some notable ones set in the next town over--Trenton--where I was born). I also don't usually like humor books. But I'll start the challenge since I do want to read more and better this year and this could be a way to focus.

Comment

Here's a challenge: how about we read more of what we like? God knows I enjoy that immensely.

Comment

I have been aware of this for about a month, and I am definitely going to attempt it.

Originally posted by Avatar Aang
        When we hit our lowest point, we are open to the greatest change.

Comment

Originally posted by DOOM View Post
          Here's a challenge: how about we read more of what we like? God knows I enjoy that immensely.
          Yeah, not much of a challenge, though. I don't disagree. But I think the point of this particular challenge is to expand your horizons, try something different, famous, and maybe learn something new.

Comment

Ok, I've figured it out. I'm going to do one book per one criteria, and for the first book, I'm going to go for "A book with a number in the title", and I'm choosing this.

This is my all-time favorite book, and I've been meaning to re-read it for a while. I highly recommend this book, too.

Comment

Originally posted by kazzar View Post
              Ok, I've figured it out. I'm going to do one book per one criteria...
              No overlapping choices? Wow. If I counted right, there's 50 categories and since one of them is a trilogy, you'd have to read one qualifying book every week for the rest of the year. But, hey if you do, that's pretty cool.

Comment

I'm going to end up overlapping a bunch of them, because when I've finished Honour Imperialis, it'll check off a whole bunch of them just by itself.

I'll do a good bit of the list, but I won't go for everything. Some of them just aren't my thing, or I barely touch the materials I'd need for them.

Still, I'm going to do what I can, and we'll see where it ends up. I'll see if I can't edit that original image to have check marks for everything I've completed when this year's about to end.
                Villain Draft 3: Fourth Place Winner

September 11, 2001; January 6, 2021; February 13, 2021

Comment

Originally posted by Space Cop View Post
                  No overlapping choices? Wow. If I counted right, there's 50 categories and since one of them is a trilogy, you'd have to read one qualifying book every week for the rest of the year. But, hey if you do, that's pretty cool.
                  If I do the challenge with overlapping choice, it will just drive me nuts, because then it would be over too quickly. And yes, there's 50 categories(52 books total, I believe). And also this is a great way to do it, I think, because I love to read, and I can finish books quite quickly if I get engrossed enough (I once finished a 342 page book in about 7 hours, and literally never put it down once). Also, me doing one book per criteria is good, as it's a good way to open myself up to new stuff.
                  kazzar
                  Guardian Of The Galaxy
                  Last edited by kazzar; 01-02-2015, 12:37 AM.

Comment

Cool. It's probably the most legit way and I'll be curious of your progress.

I myself can read multiple books in a week when I make a concerted effort, but the problem is I usually only make such an effort on relaxing vacations. In a normal day, movies, internet, and video games eat up an embarrassing amount of my leisure time.

I'll see how much I enjoy doing this. I've purposely never joined a book club and rarely even use a library for the sole reason that I hate being told what to read and how long I have. But, I WILL try.

Comment

Now reading: Ready Player One.

Comment

By the way, if anyone is interested, you might like these resources:

List of all past Pulitzer Award Winners.

And here is Good Read's 182 "Best" Literary Trilogies.

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by Space Cop View Post

Comment

That last one is going to be a challenge. So far as I know there is only one book I've ever started and not finished in my entire life. Sweet Whispers, Brother Rush by Virginia Hamilton. I checked, and my library system has exactly one copy. It has been so many years, I have NO idea why I didn't finish it, I just remember it as the only book I've ever given up on. I even read through TWO huge L. Ron Hubbard books that SUCKED, because I cannot stand to give up on a story before the end.

Comment

Working...
                              X