The Green Lantern Corps Message Board

Go Back   The Green Lantern Corps Message Board > General > General/About Us
FLASHCHAT

General
Closed Thread

Old 08-09-2009, 02:08 AM   #26
Brady SD
Weaponer of Qward

And I still say this movie sucks big time. This had a $170 million dollar budget and they pumped out a lemon with crappy special effects, like really crappy. Anything cool at all they showed on the trailers or stuff they released on the web before this came out.

http://movies.yahoo.com/movie/1809993532/critic

And I completely agree with this guy (except what he says about Transformers 2, I explained why I liked that in a prior post).

http://www.rollingstone.com/reviews/..._rise_of_cobra

If you read these and the responses there are people that say they liked it. And if you liked it that's cool, but if you didn't like it than you should be able to say you didn't without being called a moron or idiot.

Perrylakkas, Parallax, whatever sounds like you are having a bad day, a bad week or a bad life. Probably all three. You flame me I will flame your pathetic ass back.

Last edited by Brady SD; 08-09-2009 at 07:27 AM.
Old 08-09-2009, 12:08 PM   #27
oh the horror

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parrylakks View Post
Any time a person says a movie was "painful," they're either exaggerating or mindlessly supporting a predetermined opinion. Reaction to both cases is simple: to ignore the person's opinion entirely because they're being overly dramatic and idiotic.

While youre at it, why dont you smack him around a bit too? Relax buddy...its a movie...some people didnt like it.

Old 08-09-2009, 12:50 PM   #28
Tazer
That Evil, Yellow Bastiche

Yo.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sylent_asassin View Post
I hated GI Joe growing up and never watched the cartoon so I just might enjoy the flick. Usually with cartoon to movie translations, the less you know about the original source, the better off you are.
the original source??

oh, U meant the COMIC!

trust me, this has less to do with the comic than the cartoon ever did, and I rate it a solid D- for a GI Joe -film (if it werent, I'd prolly raise it to a B-).

Tazer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew NDB View Post
Geoff Johns should have a 10 mile restraining order from comic books, let alone films.

Last edited by Tazer; 08-09-2009 at 12:55 PM.
Old 08-09-2009, 01:07 PM   #29
Tazer

Yo.

Quote:
Any time a person says a movie was "painful," they're either exaggerating or mindlessly supporting a predetermined opinion. Reaction to both cases is simple: to ignore the person's opinion entirely because they're being overly dramatic and idiotic.
Catwoman

Steel

Elektra

Captain America

all 3 FF -movies

Street Fighter, the Movie

all of the above were PAINFUL.

Dragonball:Evolution

Tazer
edit- added that last 1 thnx to Prime

Quote:
Geoff Johns should have a 10 mile restraining order from comic books, let alone films.

Last edited by Tazer; 08-09-2009 at 04:07 PM.
Old 08-09-2009, 04:01 PM   #30
Prime
Attention Whore

Quote:
I'm going to say what I said to everyone who bitched and moaned about the first Transformers movie being campy, cheesy, and of a thin plot: WHAT THE FUCK DID YOU EXPECT FROM A MOVIE BASED ON A KIDS SHOW FROM THE 80'S THAT WAS REALLY NOTHING MORE THAN A SERIES OF 30 MINUTE TOY ADS?! Anyone who goes into this movie expecting anything more than nostalgic fun and mindless action within a classic popcorn film setting is a fucking moron... plain and simple.
Trust me I didn't think it was going to be anything more than that but it still sucked as just being a mindless action movie. It was just not even the kind of bad that makes you laugh, it was the kind of bad that makes you want to get the hell out of the theater. The Dragonball:Evolution kind.
Old 08-09-2009, 04:56 PM   #31
Mr.Itty

Hey, I never got into the whole GI Joe comic and cartoon scene, but even I could see from the previews that this movie was different.

If you walked in there to watch GI Joe, well... you should have known better. If you went in there to watch Triple X or Starship Troopers, then you entered the correct theater.

Old 08-09-2009, 11:08 PM   #32
Parrylakks
Banned

Send a message via Yahoo to Parrylakks

Quote:
Originally Posted by oh the horror View Post
While youre at it, why dont you smack him around a bit too? Relax buddy...its a movie...some people didnt like it.
That had nothign to do with this movie... nor him in particular. It was a broad generalized statement about anybody and everybody who claims a movie is "painful."

The only ways a movie can be "painful" is if they have something in them that causes mental anguish, be it purposefully (such as the Nightmare on Elm Street films, where the red and green weater was chosen becasue of the color combinations mental trickery which can cause headaches in some people, though usually only after prolonged exposure, like if someone were to have a marathon... like I did once... yeah, my head hurt) or accidentally (such as strobe incidents in various movies and TV shows that can put epileptic persons and children in seizures), or if they are a 4D presentation, like the Star Trek Experience's Borg ride, which ended with a 3D film and chairs that poke your back while you're being assimilated.

"Painful" is one of those moronic descriptives fanboys like to use when slashing a movie they can't legitimize their hatred for... usually becasue this hatred is unfounded, and only presented due to predetermined opinionation which doesn't allow the factors found within the actual film itself to sway their opinion of it either way... and is thus an absolutely idiotic term to use to describe a movie.

I don't care if its The Dark Knight or Catwoman... Good or Bad... legitimize your opinion or shut the fuck up.

I'm sick and tired of all the internet bandwagoning that goes on everywhere (positive and negative for various things), especially the strong over abundance of it we see on sites (like this one) that obviously attracts fanboys (the kind of people who are most prone to such mindless opinion making)... and I don't jsut mean for films... this kind of behaviour effects everything in a fanboy's life (comics, films, games, etc) and its fucking annoying as all hell.
Old 08-09-2009, 11:29 PM   #33
Tazer

Yo.

wait, so it "bandwagoning" if U happen to agree with another poster/person that a movie rules/sucks??

wow, that just made it ridiculously hard to have an opinion that others JUST HAPPEN to share......

Tazer

Quote:
Old 08-10-2009, 12:06 AM   #34
Parrylakks
Banned

No... its bandwagoning if you share the popular opinion without legitimacy... its not hard to grasp, Taze.
Old 08-10-2009, 01:46 AM   #35
IonFan
Forum Member

from ComicsContinuum.com

Quote:
G.I. Joe: The Rise of Cobra topped the box office on Friday with an estimated $22.3 million.
not too bad

also YO,JOE!

IonFan says

Quote:
F**k all the "Haters" 3 years in and i still support our dear leader, one Donald J. Trump

Last edited by IonFan; 08-10-2009 at 01:48 AM.
Old 08-10-2009, 03:19 AM   #36
lanternut
Alpha-Lantern

Send a message via MSN to lanternut

I finally saw it and it's not bad. Yes, there's some really really stupid lines. But I went to escape and enjoy a brainless movie.

I give it +1 above transformers 2 for no humping little transformer.
Old 08-10-2009, 03:40 AM   #37
The_Mad_Dragon
Captain Pervert

Send a message via AIM to The_Mad_Dragon Send a message via Yahoo to The_Mad_Dragon

Nonstop action. Loved it.
Old 08-10-2009, 04:48 AM   #38
Parrylakks
Banned

Just got back from it... just as I thought... its great mindless fun... thoguh I could've done without the "nice shoes" line from Baroness. Also, I find it funny how they nailed Destro's look at the end while totally fucking up Cobra Commander... lol. But yeah, overall great mindless fun... I'll probably pick it up on BD when it comes... and I do hope it has some mock PSAs.

For a more legitimized review... just wait for tomorrow. I never write a review until the film has had time to sink in.
Old 08-10-2009, 05:05 AM   #39
Brother Eye
Green Lantern Initiate

Quote:
That had nothign to do with this movie... nor him in particular. It was a broad generalized statement about anybody and everybody who claims a movie is "painful."

The only ways a movie can be "painful" is if they have something in them that causes mental anguish, be it purposefully (such as the Nightmare on Elm Street films, where the red and green weater was chosen becasue of the color combinations mental trickery which can cause headaches in some people, though usually only after prolonged exposure, like if someone were to have a marathon... like I did once... yeah, my head hurt) or accidentally (such as strobe incidents in various movies and TV shows that can put epileptic persons and children in seizures), or if they are a 4D presentation, like the Star Trek Experience's Borg ride, which ended with a 3D film and chairs that poke your back while you're being assimilated.

"Painful" is one of those moronic descriptives fanboys like to use when slashing a movie they can't legitimize their hatred for... usually becasue this hatred is unfounded, and only presented due to predetermined opinionation which doesn't allow the factors found within the actual film itself to sway their opinion of it either way... and is thus an absolutely idiotic term to use to describe a movie.

I don't care if its The Dark Knight or Catwoman... Good or Bad... legitimize your opinion or shut the fuck up.

I'm sick and tired of all the internet bandwagoning that goes on everywhere (positive and negative for various things), especially the strong over abundance of it we see on sites (like this one) that obviously attracts fanboys (the kind of people who are most prone to such mindless opinion making)... and I don't jsut mean for films... this kind of behaviour effects everything in a fanboy's life (comics, films, games, etc) and its fucking annoying as all hell.
What he said.

Oh, and for the record I did enjoy this movie for the mindless popcorn munching fun that it was. I will also say that I liked the Cobra Commander origin here way more than the comic (seriously a car salesman that feels that the American dream totally robbed him so starts a terrorist organization to get back? Are you fucking kidding me!) but only half as much as the Animated Movie origin (Cobra La! Awwww what fond memories your bring back to me as a child).
Old 08-10-2009, 07:18 AM   #40
oh the horror

Quote:

Youre right bro, we'll just all "shut the fuck up"

Get the fuck outta here with that nonsense. Go pop a xanax.

Old 08-10-2009, 09:15 AM   #41
Brady SD
Weaponer of Qward

Quote:
Originally Posted by oh the horror View Post
Youre right bro, we'll just all "shut the fuck up"

Get the fuck outta here with that nonsense. Go pop a xanax.
My sentiments exactly. It's painful (heh, heh) just watching this guy spew out this pseudo-intellectual crap. I am surprised more people are'nt calling him out on this. Anyways, Ok, Everyone go see "The Hurt Locker". Best movie of the year so far. It will make up for GI Joe for those that thought it sucked. It's a war movie that takes place in Iraq 2004. It's got action, adventure, and gives a great psychological breakdown of how war itself can become an addictive drug for some soldiers. Saw it a couple of weeks ago, gonna see it again this week.

Go see The Hurt Locker

Go see The Hurt Locker

Go see The Hurt Locker
Old 08-10-2009, 10:49 AM   #42
Rotten2thecorps
Alpha-Lantern

My sentiments exactly. It's painful (heh, heh) just watching this guy spew out this pseudo-intellectual crap. I am surprised more people are'nt calling him out on this.

Been there,done that. It is a lost cause man. I will say this for parry though at least he is passionate.

Someone here said the less you know about the source material the better off you are. That is just so true. It also helps to know little about movies and how they are made.(I'am Not speaking of anyone in general here).
Old 08-10-2009, 07:39 PM   #43
Parrylakks
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rotten2thecorps View Post
I will say this for parry though at least he is passionate.
I'll admit... I have a problem... but at least I'm consistant. Besides, whats so wrong with wanting people to make up their own minds, and thus expecting legitimized opinions, and not apparent bandwagon slashing or praise?
Old 08-10-2009, 08:34 PM   #44
Tazer

Yo.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lanternut View Post
I finally saw it and it's not bad. Yes, there's some really really stupid lines. But I went to escape and enjoy a brainless movie.

I give it +1 above transformers 2 for no humping little transformer.
Quote:
Just got back from it... just as I thought... its great mindless fun... thoguh I could've done without the "nice shoes" line from Baroness. Also, I find it funny how they nailed Destro's look at the end while totally fucking up Cobra Commander... lol. But yeah, overall great mindless fun... I'll probably pick it up on BD when it comes... and I do hope it has some mock PSAs.

For a more legitimized review... just wait for tomorrow. I never write a review until the film has had time to sink in.
see, now THATS my problem w/this. a GI Joe film doesnt have to be Blackhawk Down, or Platoon, or even The Guns of Navarone, but at the very least it shouldnt be "brainless" & "mindless".

and yea, I remember the cartoon. but I aspire more towards the comic.

those 2 sentiments have just given validation towards all of those hated it as far as Im concerned........

Tazer

Quote:
Old 08-11-2009, 03:34 AM   #45
Superlantern
mmmm Beer!

still not going to see this crapfest. people summing it up as Mindless fun is exactly what I thought it would be and I'd rather flush my ten dollars down the toilet.

so it made a lot of money.... we all know a bad movie can make alot of money TF2 is proof of that.

that is my opinion and it will not change.
Old 08-11-2009, 05:55 AM   #46
Xoultrain
Kyle's Nude Model

I saw it yesterday knowing exactly what to feel or expect from the movie. I thought it was hilarious that the kid from 3rd Rock From the Sun was Cobra Commander! My girlfriend laughed at the "Nice shoes." line. I enjoyed that. A lot of the action scenes were too jumbled and fast to follow at times, and I had had a triple shot latte before the movie.The guy who played Duke was an ass. Sounded ignorant when he talked. Didn't like that everyone in cobra (except Baroness and Zartan) had metal masks. Dumb. Break it up some, the viper helmets in the cartoon were way cooler. And Cobra Commander's mask looked like a cocoon and his head was the undeveloped larva. Come on. That's the best they could do?

Anyway I had fun. Not all bad. Enjoyed Snake-Eyes. The Wayans brother wasn't as annoying as expected. Baroness and Scarlet were hot. Underwater dogfight was cool. You don't see that in movies often. Well still,I grew up on G.I.Joe and ran home from school to watch the cartoon every afternoon. The cartoon was silly, the movie was silly, but I love them just the same!!
Old 08-11-2009, 08:42 AM   #47
Rotten2thecorps
Alpha-Lantern

I have too much respect for the Cartoon. Yes it was silly but that is nothing that can't be fixed by some good writting, there was nothing wrong with the original character designs. Other than Maybe shipwrecks. Call me crazy but I like my franchise movies to actually be like the franchise. Other wise it feels like Masters of the Universe with Dolph Lundgren.
Old 08-11-2009, 08:58 AM   #48
Parrylakks
Banned

Do I need to explain the term ADAPTATION to you, yet again?
Besides... Masters of the Universe was a fucking classic!!!
Old 08-11-2009, 09:51 AM   #49
Parrylakks
Banned

Posted my review in the "last film you've seen" thread, if anyone cares.
Old 08-11-2009, 04:58 PM   #50
Tazer

Yo.

hey, Im glad U felt it was money well spent, but I'll just take some solace in the fact that this prolly (HOPEFULLY) wont make its money back, and in so doing "they" will look at the film and try to dissect why it did so.

Tazer

Quote:
Closed Thread