The Green Lantern Corps Message Board

Go Back   The Green Lantern Corps Message Board > Green Lanternverse > Green Lantern: New Guardians/Kyle Rayner
FLASHCHAT

Kyle Rayner
View Poll Results: Would YOU Take Jade Back?
Yes 16 34.78%
No 30 65.22%
Voters: 46. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-23-2010, 11:25 PM   #76
Gauntlet101010
Alpha-Lantern
 
Gauntlet101010's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 2,233
Default

And all this time I thought these breakups happened because the Wonder Woman comics and the Outsiders comics both wanted Donna and Jade respectively ....
Gauntlet101010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2010, 11:43 PM   #77
lokeinlyesmith
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by missferris View Post
Kyle laments in his run after losing Donna for the first breakup that he can't hold on to anything good that he ever has had, even since he was a child. We don't get into too much insight of that, but he's got commitment issues. I don't feel it's because he's gay, but ...as you said, that's not the point of the debate right now.

I think Kyle can follow through. I think Kyle just escapes consequences too often. He runs from them.
The fact that he CAN doesn't negate the fact that he DOESN'T. Which is my issue with him.



Quote:
Originally Posted by missferris View Post
He yelled at Donna when she was confronting him over allison "If I'm such a freaking millstone around your neck, you should be HAPPY to get rid of me" -- he felt humiliated that he was seen as a "boy" in the relationship and not a man, and that sentence to me showed that he secretly felt he was a burden to her. He let her go when she went. Not because he no longer wanted her, but because he felt inadequate.
Oh, and he was. He was totally a burden to her. Donna was his Mommy just as much as she was his girlfriend. I bet she asked him if he had on clean underwear before they left the house together.

So, again. He LET her go. Didn't even try to fight. Where's the romanticism, where's the passion? There was none. He gave up. Back to it being all about him and how terrible his life is. Pfft.


Quote:
Originally Posted by missferris View Post
The same thing happened with Jade. Kyle knows a lot of this deep down, he reflects on his failures often, but it's in a dark corner of his mind while on the outside, he will take what he can get and embrace love. He loves being in love, like he said.
I disagree. I think Kyle screwed that relationship, period. Even if Jade hadn't done the things she did when she got home, by acting the way Kyle did, he fucked it up all on his own. He let his "humans suck" crap get in the way. Too self-centered to bother realizing what it was doing to his relationship with Jade. Jade just went home and made it worse.


Quote:
Originally Posted by missferris View Post
I think he always keeps up the romanticism and charm in any relationship, but it's the stuff beneath the surface that he has a hard time with. Which just shows some immaturity, really, not that he doesn't care. Many people care but fall short because of poor sets of relationship skills. Kyle has great courting skills. It's a combination of bad luck and keeping what he has once he has it that he has trouble with.
I thought that was called "being a Playah" not "over sensitive with commitment issues". lol


Quote:
Originally Posted by missferris View Post
I think of High Fidelity, too. There is baggage he needs to really deal with but instead he seems as if he tries very hard to ignore his past "life" in romance every time he enters a new relationship, and isn't usually fully over the last girl when it occurs. I wish he'd just really confront his two now-alive exes like a mature man and just pull them aside and tell them how much he appreciated them and talk about what he did them wrong on.
I do totally agree with that. That does need to happen. They ALL need closure.
  Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2010, 11:43 PM   #78
missferris
Senior Corps Member
 
missferris's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Of Earth.
Posts: 837
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gauntlet101010 View Post
And all this time I thought these breakups happened because the Wonder Woman comics and the Outsiders comics both wanted Donna and Jade respectively ....
Pretty much, but we have to rationalize and fanwank it for fun. HAAHHAHAH
missferris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2010, 11:49 PM   #79
missferris
Senior Corps Member
 
missferris's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Of Earth.
Posts: 837
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by lokeinlyesmith View Post
The fact that he CAN doesn't negate the fact that he DOESN'T. Which is my issue with him.
And you are allowed to have that issue with him I was just giving you insight into why, despite all of this, I still like him.




Quote:
Oh, and he was. He was totally a burden to her. Donna was his Mommy just as much as she was his girlfriend. I bet she asked him if he had on clean underwear before they left the house together.

So, again. He LET her go. Didn't even try to fight. Where's the romanticism, where's the passion? There was none. He gave up. Back to it being all about him and how terrible his life is. Pfft.
I can't disagree with you there.


Quote:
I disagree. I think Kyle screwed that relationship, period. Even if Jade hadn't done the things she did when she got home, by acting the way Kyle did, he fucked it up all on his own. He let his "humans suck" crap get in the way. Too self-centered to bother realizing what it was doing to his relationship with Jade. Jade just went home and made it worse.
Okay, I agree with you here, too. Also I hate how Winick self-inserted into Kyle so hard. But yes... people REALLY underestimate just how much Kyle's actions had a part in screwing up the relationship. he didn't make Jade cheat on him -- Jade cheated on him on her own, but he did drive her away.


Quote:
I thought that was called "being a Playah" not "over sensitive with commitment issues". lol
I think the difference between a player and a guy like Kyle is intention. He doesn't want to use girls and he doesn't say things he doesn't mean ... well, not always, unless he's lying to get into Natu's pants.


Quote:
I do totally agree with that. That does need to happen. They ALL need closure.

Too bad it'll never happen
missferris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2010, 06:27 AM   #80
redjirachi
Star Sapphire's Love Slave
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: New Zealand,Earth
Posts: 351
Default

So in the end its both their fault,and neither one should take the other back.They both deserve better/worse/something else
redjirachi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2010, 09:06 AM   #81
Levy
Fatality's Blacksmith
 
Levy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Italy
Posts: 172
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gauntlet101010 View Post
And all this time I thought these breakups happened because the Wonder Woman comics and the Outsiders comics both wanted Donna and Jade respectively ....
LOL that's it, actually.

But Kyle's history with his girlfriends is a big defining element of his character, just as much his distancing/falling back into the shadow of Batman is the big defining element of Dick Grayson, even though from outside we know that his oscillations between the Robing/Nightwing/Leader of the Titans and Robin/Nightwing/Heir of the Bat are mostly dictated by the fortune of the Titans book over the Bat-book and vice versa.

It's always the same, stuff happens because of editorial decision, and then it's up to the writer to give the right space and development to the ripercussion such a change has on the character.

As bad for the story, rushed and innatural Donna dumping Kyle was, it also brought to the surface all the passivity, self-centered attitude and inhability to handle real relationship in a moment of crisis missferris was talking about that are defining elements of Kyle's character.

I like that he is lacking a lot on the compartment (love and relationships) he apparently care so much about, because that's what makes him weak and pathetic sometimes, but also human and interesting, at least for me. He has good intentions but an awfull way to handle situations, and get all defensive and awkward when he's called out on the things he does wrong.

He is actually quite a flirt but he seems persuaded that all he wants for real is a stable relationship, and he'd probably able to make it last forever if anything bad ever occurred. His problem is that is quite unable to handle critical moment because pain make him more self-centered than ever, all his empathy shuts down and it's all about him all over again, and few people are paid enough to deal with a guy like this, actually....

(and I'd sincerely love to ramble about people other than Kyle but other GLs characters do not inspire me as much ^ ^; )

Last edited by Levy; 08-24-2010 at 09:08 AM.
Levy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2010, 11:46 AM   #82
missferris
Senior Corps Member
 
missferris's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Of Earth.
Posts: 837
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Levy View Post
LOL that's it, actually.

But Kyle's history with his girlfriends is a big defining element of his character, just as much his distancing/falling back into the shadow of Batman is the big defining element of Dick Grayson, even though from outside we know that his oscillations between the Robing/Nightwing/Leader of the Titans and Robin/Nightwing/Heir of the Bat are mostly dictated by the fortune of the Titans book over the Bat-book and vice versa.

It's always the same, stuff happens because of editorial decision, and then it's up to the writer to give the right space and development to the ripercussion such a change has on the character.

As bad for the story, rushed and innatural Donna dumping Kyle was, it also brought to the surface all the passivity, self-centered attitude and inhability to handle real relationship in a moment of crisis missferris was talking about that are defining elements of Kyle's character.

I like that he is lacking a lot on the compartment (love and relationships) he apparently care so much about, because that's what makes him weak and pathetic sometimes, but also human and interesting, at least for me. He has good intentions but an awfull way to handle situations, and get all defensive and awkward when he's called out on the things he does wrong.

He is actually quite a flirt but he seems persuaded that all he wants for real is a stable relationship, and he'd probably able to make it last forever if anything bad ever occurred. His problem is that is quite unable to handle critical moment because pain make him more self-centered than ever, all his empathy shuts down and it's all about him all over again, and few people are paid enough to deal with a guy like this, actually....

(and I'd sincerely love to ramble about people other than Kyle but other GLs characters do not inspire me as much ^ ^; )
This is exactly how I see him. And, predictably, I think someone like Donna or Alex or Jade was best for him to call him out on that stuff, and really teach him good relationship skills. Natu I feel is letting him get away with it all LOL

I totally adore Kyle, and I can see how the Allison thing was all for his ego (he had the biggest inadequacy issue with Donna, after all, and needed something like that in a self centered moment). It's just hilarious to me that people really DO think he's the perfect boyfriend.
missferris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2010, 02:51 PM   #83
Levy
Fatality's Blacksmith
 
Levy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Italy
Posts: 172
Default

Natu (Tomasi's Natu - we haven't seen enough of Bedard's Natu to judge but she seems aware that Kyle is being a dick about his unresolved things with Jenny, so that might show a positive change in her attitude) seems like the more inclined of the four to accept passively the crap he might give her, as she is the more introverted, not experienced in relationships, and tends to side with him against an external challenge to their relationship rather than question him first.

That might go with the fact they got together as comrades of the same army so they have a huge mutual professional loyalty as a starting point. Whatever, it's just another thing that make their relationship boring to me, the fact that Natu is letting him get away with almost anything...

I feel like Alex was spoiling him a bit, too, but she was also questioning his seriousness and reliability. Jen was deeply in love with him and not very much the motherly type, but was able to chose her self-respect (lol, do you even say this in english...? XD ; ) over her feelings for him when needed. Donna was, in my opinion, the one that was handling him the best, since she was able to channel his devotion and love for her into the desire of being a better man and a better hero, and taught him stuff about relationships the other girls benefit from too.

As far as I'm concerned,Kyle is the kind of man I'd never be able to be with, pretty face and all, but to each his own.... ^ ^ ;
Levy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2010, 02:13 AM   #84
Ωmega Man
Guardian of the Universe
 
Ωmega Man's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: East TN
Posts: 12,258
Blog Entries: 3
Default

For all 12 of the people who voted yes, you will probably be walked on by women your whole life.

If you give a woman an inch, they think they're a ruler.

~KL~
__________________
Ωmega Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 06:01 PM   #85
Linterna Azul
Major Force's Dinner Date
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Santiago , Chile
Posts: 77
Default

I voted yes because Jade is so damned sexy , but , i Think that all of we have committed ours errors in our life , So , only one more chance.
Linterna Azul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 07:13 PM   #86
Mister.Weirdo
Guardian of the Universe
 
Mister.Weirdo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Vermont
Posts: 8,491
Blog Entries: 1
Default

I say no!
Mister.Weirdo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 08:39 PM   #87
Trey Strain
Guardian of the Universe
 
Trey Strain's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 10,392
Default

She needs Guy to ruin her for all other men. That would put a stop to her escapades.
Trey Strain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 11:50 PM   #88
missferris
Senior Corps Member
 
missferris's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Of Earth.
Posts: 837
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spy Smasher View Post
She needs Guy to ruin her for all other men. That would put a stop to her escapades.
Jade/Guy would be a hilarious combination of tempers, diva-like nature, and egos. Kind of like Bea and Guy. But I don't think Guy would date a good friend's ex, especially after what Hal did to him.
missferris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2011, 11:54 PM   #89
Trey Strain
Guardian of the Universe
 
Trey Strain's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 10,392
Default

Guy should never have been that way with Kyle. Or with anybody else for that matter. That buddy-buddy stuff that Tomasi kept writing for issue after issue was excruciating.
Trey Strain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2011, 12:36 AM   #90
chivalrous
Corps Honor Guard
 
chivalrous's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Nodnol, England
Posts: 1,421
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by lokeinlyesmith View Post
You mean AFTER _I_

1. Dragged her into space, asking her to leave all of her friends family and homeworld behind to follow some shitty "humanity isn't worth saving" problem I was having?

2. When she couldn't hang and decided to move back to Earth, I just LET HER without even considering moving back WITH her? After she did me this favor and followed me into SPACE, I can't even give Earth a second chance if it means being with the woman I love?

3. Then I don't contact her for MONTHS AND MONTHS, don't even try to, and that's MONTHS before I decide to go undercover.

I'd be freaking LUCKY for Jade to take ME back.


"She cheated on Kyle." Technically. When you haven't heard from someone for months, when they blow you off like that, you kinda have the right to move on with your life.
"She cheated on Kyle in HIS apartment in HIS bed." Fraggle Knockin' Bullshit. Jade was the one paying those bills for MONTHS. No judge in all the land would give Kyle his apartment back over Jade.



Yeah, Jade could have handled it better. She could have tried to get some kind of message to Kyle. She could have moved out of the apartment. Jade was not perfect and innocent in this. But Kyle, by far, was the bigger offender here. Chalk it up to bad writing, or whatever. I think what Kyle did was worse. He didn't fall in love with someone else. He didn't go find comfort in someone else's arms because the person he DID love abandoned him. He pushed Jade to the side for HIMSELF. Every personal decision he made was selfish and asshole-ish.



Would I take Jade back? In a heart beat. Would I take Kyle back? Hells no.
I'm goping to add my agreement to this, especially point #3.

If Kyle was in any way serious about the relationship, he wouldn't have buggered off without discussing it with her or letting her know. It shows a complete disregard for the relationship and disdain for the relationship, Hell, if I was just Kyle's friend, I'd be hacked off that he was going away for months and not letting me know.

Guys, girls, anyone who's reading this: If the girl/boy you've been [U]casually[/U[] (Kyle and Jenny were barely serious at this point) dating for a few months disappears for months without any explanation, phone call, letter or email either before they leave or for the period they are gone, how
long would you leave it before you moved on?
As much as Kyle is my favourite Lantern, he was an idiot to expect that he could drop Jenny for months without contact and expect everything to be then same when he returned. A complete bollocking was the best he could have expected.
__________________
Minimum space distance:
a|<- ≥2mm ->|lot
----------------------------------------------------------

Stormageddon added by Kuhan
chivalrous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2011, 01:03 PM   #91
missferris
Senior Corps Member
 
missferris's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Of Earth.
Posts: 837
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by chivalrous View Post
I'm goping to add my agreement to this, especially point #3.

If Kyle was in any way serious about the relationship, he wouldn't have buggered off without discussing it with her or letting her know. It shows a complete disregard for the relationship and disdain for the relationship, Hell, if I was just Kyle's friend, I'd be hacked off that he was going away for months and not letting me know.

Guys, girls, anyone who's reading this: If the girl/boy you've been [U]casually[/U[] (Kyle and Jenny were barely serious at this point) dating for a few months disappears for months without any explanation, phone call, letter or email either before they leave or for the period they are gone, how
long would you leave it before you moved on?
As much as Kyle is my favourite Lantern, he was an idiot to expect that he could drop Jenny for months without contact and expect everything to be then same when he returned. A complete bollocking was the best he could have expected.
Barely serious???? Kyle had proposed to her! Asked her to stay with him ...thought he was going to be the father of her children. They were moving somewhat fast, sure, but...

Not to take away from the point, Kyle definitely didn't help things at all when he left Jenny, and he left for a ridiculous reason. And, of course, it doesn't absolve Jenny of her behavior either, particularly the slapping of Kyle and all of that, but...yeah. They both won douche awards, i felt bad for both, etc.
missferris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2011, 01:18 PM   #92
Lantern of Gallifrey
Weaponer of Qward
 
Lantern of Gallifrey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Gallifrey (Southern Ohio)
Posts: 794
Default

This shows that she wasn't serious about their relationship in the first place. Gone out in space doing the hero thing and she bangs a guy in his house. She knows what the super hero life is like but she didn't care.
__________________
Time,Space and Will Power
Lantern of Gallifrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2011, 04:45 AM   #93
redjirachi
Star Sapphire's Love Slave
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: New Zealand,Earth
Posts: 351
Default

I would take Jade from the back...

YOU KNEW IT WAS COMING!
redjirachi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2011, 05:52 AM   #94
Ωmega Man
Guardian of the Universe
 
Ωmega Man's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: East TN
Posts: 12,258
Blog Entries: 3
Default

Another thing I probably forgot to mention, Kyle DID go back to Earth for a bit after Jade was in space with him for awhile. Although the story sucked, the GL/GA crossover where Amon Sur and the Black Circle were first introduced showed Kyle taking some downtime with Jade at a club with friends. And by friends I don't mean others in the tights and spandex crowd.

Kyle still tried to make the connection. He also sent that lame ass hologram crystal snail mail later on just before going undercover IIRC.

Jade cheating made me dislike the character for awhile until she starting showing off how to be a badass in the Outsiders after about the first year or so. I wasn't upset when they killed her off.

~KL~
__________________
Ωmega Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 11:55 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.3
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.