GLC: the Brightest / Power of Ion Rebirth

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GLC: the Brightest / Power of Ion Rebirth

This is a fanfic idea I've been toying around with a bit, but the recent shake-ups in GL and GLC Lost Army make it easier to incorporate into the current universe. With a lot of my fanfic I try to incorporate elements from the current comics, like with the Dark Lantern series and it's pre New52 setting where Dick Grayson was still Batman in the JLoA and Alan Scott was an elder hero rather than a resident on another world. In this story [EDIT: THIS WAS ORIGINALLY SET DURING THE DCYou PERIOD, NOW IT IS REBIRTH THEMED]Hal Jordan is doing his own thing somewhere in space, the Corps has somehow returned but without a home and without the Guardians, and Kyle Rayner is still a White Lantern in the opening chapter/issue not knowing what happened to the Templar Guardians. Admittedly, the first couple chapters will be set-up for the broader story. Like with the Dark Lantern series, the first few chapters will feature the GLC and then I'll roll with Kyle for awhile.

I'm also going to go ahead and say this is obviously a Kyle story. Unlike the other series, I'm not gonna go for the quick attention grab villains like Sinestro, Parallax, and Oblivion. And with the New52/Rebirth setting a lot of stuff is off the table like Jade, Alan Scott, Kyle's JL membership [or IS it?!? PLOT TWIST!], etc. but I believe there's still potential in what remains and what can be incorporated back into the mainstream DCU.

Going over the first chapter one more time for any spelling errors then I'll have it posted up soon! Working with GoatLantern as well on getting a sketch of how I picture Kyle in this [not to say I won't do a micro soon...]. Thanks for reading, crits appreciated and welcomed!

EDIT 6/9/17 - Added the mocked up cover to Ion #1!

~KL~ [But now it's ~//V\\~ if you didn't notice!]
    Ωmega Man
    Guardian of the Universe
    Last edited by Ωmega Man; 08-12-2017, 04:24 PM.

Green Lantern Corps
    'the Brightest'
    Chapter 1: the Return

"The Green Lantern Corps returned home after disappearing for awhile to another dimension. The red ring Guy Gardner had disappeared off of his finger. Hal Jordan’s still doing his own thing somewhere out in space. And my fellow Lantern, John, needed another perspective...." Kyle Rayner, the White Lantern, thought touching down on a planet in sector 2628.

The Planet Odym...

The numbers of the Green Lantern Corps had been cut dramatically. Bro'Dee Walker was present as the Green Lanterns set up shop on the vacant planet. The former Blue Lantern had hope that the Corps would rise again and set the example once more. You could see it on his face.

"What's the plan here, John?" Kyle asked walking up to the stoic Lantern.

"Stel is trying to convert the Blue Central Battery into one for the Green Lanterns. The Corps, well..." John began saying looking around at the maybe two or three hundred members of the GLC, "those of us who're left... haven't seen or heard from the new Guardians of the Universe since we've been back. Coming to this planet was just one of about three contingency plans Salaak and Ganthet had come up with."

"I don't miss babysitting those new Guardians. Dunno what happened to them." Kyle thought as John explained the situation.

"Please don't ask me to comb the universe for those smurfs. I'm still trying to figure out what to do with myself..." Kyle stated before John cut in.

"One day they just left and didn't mention where they were going or when they'd return..." Kyle continued to think.

"I need you to convert the residual energy in the 'Battery and relight it for the Corps. Is that within your power?" John asked raising an eyebrow as they walked toward the battery.

"Oh, is that all you need? I can get this done before dinner..." Kyle continued thinking and picturing different scenarios in his head.

"I guess so. But without the entities..." Kyle started to say.

"I've already got Stel working on modifying the rings. Rather than each Lantern needing a personal power battery they'll only need to touch base once every twenty four Earth days or so.." John said as Kyle grinned.

"That reminds me of how Hal said he used to have to charge his ring once every twenty four hours..." Kyle said still smiling and laughing a little.

"The rings have always been like a gas tank I thought? 'Once every twenty four hours' was Hal trying to make it sound more important." John asked and stated.

"Who knows anymore..." Kyle said rolling his eyes, having dissipated his mask earlier.

"So.. you wanna do this thing now?" Kyle asked as they were now at the base of the blue Central Battery.

"Cause I got a new pack of pencils that aren't going to draw by themselves..." Kyle thought trying to picture what sort of stuff he'd like to work on in his sketchpad.

The cliffs, waterfalls, vegetation, and wildlife were incredible. The remaining members of the GLC including Guy, Kilowog, Torquemada, Salaak, and others set up camp at the bottom of the waterfall under the Central Battery. They could all see the blinding blue, white, and then green light that came to be after John answered Kyle.

"Do it." John said to the point as the lightshow began.

It was a slower process than Kyle had imagined. But in the end the power within the battery converted into the green energy the Corps needed. Kyle was hovering in the air in front of the energy port and the Battery itself was slowly becoming green. That was until the battery began to crack...

"Come on... You got this Kyle..." John mumbled looking on.

The explosion was so loud that it made everyone within a mile radius momentarily def. This Central Battery wasn't made to store green energy, and it was destroyed. When John picked himself up off the ground he saw it. Kyle bloody, on the ground, with pieces of glowing green metal cutting into his chest. His white ring seemingly also crumbled under the strain. Bro'Dee Walker put his hands together and bowed his head and started to pray. John screamed to def ears.

Later...

At the base of the waterfall where the Central Battery once stood was the camp. Eight buildings were built for the remaining Corpsmen around a stream parting away from the waterfall and the river. A small hospital was also put up rather quickly thanks to the one eyed, bird beaked, Lantern Alanalda. The same one eyed bird beaked Lantern seeing over Kyle.

"What's the situation, doc?" John asked with a concerned look on his face.

"Rayner's body has absorbed the metal fragments of the battery, and the remaining energy in his body that kept him alive was also converted into green energy. Notice how your ring was charged the second you walked into the room?" Alanalda asked blinking his eye several times while looking at John before looking back at Kyle.

"Is he going to wake up?" John asked.

"Of course the kid's gonna wake up, he was a White Lantern before he was... this." the doctor responded.

"You should call the iron giant and tell him to reconfigure the rings to tap into this kid instead of an actual Battery across space. The power Rayner's putting out is enough to ignite at least a couple hundred suns..." the doctor continued as Kyle's entire body glowed white hot with green energy now.

"What's going on?!?" John asked putting a shield up.

"You better call your tech guy and get him to put the rings down for awhile. If this human's vitals keep spiking and the energy doesn't settle within him it could tear him apart and leave us without ANY hope of rebuilding the Corps..." the doctor said in desperation.

Two days later...

Kyle awoke with fuzziness in his vision. Stel, John, Guy, and Alanalda were standing over him in a medical bed in a mostly green hospital.

"I need a nurse and a cocktail, you boys let me know if he starts glowing again..." the doctor said making his exit from the room.

"What... happened?" Kyle asked looking down at his chest where there was an opening with green energy glowing inside.

"This device will help regulate the energy output of your body..." Stel began to say in his robotic voice as Kyle stopped him from placing something in his chest.

"What... HAPPENED?!? My ring, changing the Blue Battery, why am I in a hospital?" Kyle began to lose control somewhat and started to glow.

"Calm down Kyle. You were in an explosion. The battery couldn't hold the green energy and was destroyed. You've been in a coma for two days..." John explained, "I'm just glad you're awake."

"Mister military man here got teary eyed once or twice Kyle." Guy said jabbing John's arm.

"Why's Stel trying to put that high tech glowing can in my chest?" Kyle asked next.

"It will assist you in fueling the rings of the Corps, Lantern Rayner. From ANY sector." Stel explained.

"You're gonna be a mobile Central Power Battery, K-Man. Welcome back to what's left of the green team!" Guy said jokingly.

~KL~
    Ωmega Man
    Guardian of the Universe
    Last edited by Ωmega Man; 04-23-2017, 07:41 PM.

Comment

as i told Kid (now -M-) in a pm about his idea of having Kyle be the new living talking walking CPB is brilliant, not only does it bring Kyle back into the fold but it makes him once again the most powerful _____ Lantern of all time

and i'm all for that

IonFan says

MAGA then, MAGA now, MAGA FOREVER

Comment

Green Lantern Corps
        'the Brightest'
        Chapter 2: Ion Reborn

“My name is Kyle Rayner. Two days ago I was in an explosion. While trying to convert the residual energy and Central Battery of the Blue Lanterns into a new source of power for the Green Lanterns I almost lost my life. This alien doctor, Alanalda, has been checking on me every few hours and is as funny as anything I’ve managed to catch on tv lately. Which admittedly isn’t much. I miss home….”
        Kyle thought sitting up in the medical bed with Lantern Alanalda at his side.

“That tin can that Lantern Stel put in your chest, everything feel okay?” the doctor asked blinking his large eye.

“Yeah, everything feels fine doc. So long as it doesn’t cripple me into wearing an iron suit of armor we should be good. So… I won’t need a new ring now?” Kyle asked still looking down at the piece of tech in his chest.

“No you’re done with rings, my boy.” Alanalda continued going over the test results.

“I DO keep feeling a pulse every so often. Is that normal?” Kyle asked running his hand through his black hair.

“That would be the other Green Lanterns taking a small fraction of the power inside of you. I’ve estimated you could ignite two hundred and seventy three suns and counting. Until a new battery can be constructed, you will have to do…” Alanalda concluded.

Later…

Kyle walked around on Odym, taking in the scenery, the animals, and the Lanterns flying overhead.

“I don't know what happened to my new pencils and my sketch pad. I haven’t really got to do much with my art lately. Not really any time when you go from being a space cop to a super space cop. Not to mention the babysitter of a handful of little blue people, one of the universe’s oldest living species…” Kyle thought to himself as he walked around rather than flying.

John Stewart was flying by overhead and saw Kyle. He touched down a few feet from him.

“How’re you feeling, Kyle?” the senior Lantern asked.

“Like I could go ten rounds with Parallax. So… what am I now, Battery Man?” Kyle asked grinning like a fool.

“I actually meant to discuss that with you. You’re more important to the Corps than you’ve ever been, and with the Lanterns tapping into your energy directly maybe we should think about getting you set up back on Earth. Maybe lay low for awhile, make a new superhero identity for yourself…” John suggested.

“I HAVE been missing home a lot more lately. Need to see how my mom’s been doing, and see if I can salvage whatever’s left of my social life.” Kyle mentioned, “You’re sure everything’s good here?”

“The Corps is still getting reacquainted with being back in this universe. But we’ll manage. Our rings are working with limited AI until a battery is reconstructed. To try and get our numbers back up Stel is trying to contact any former Lanterns who’ve yet to be called back for active duty. Right now we‘re not sure who else we can trust.” John explained as Kyle turned white hot with energy and didn’t even bother constructing a suit.

“Let me know if there’s anything else I can do on my end. I’ll talk to you soon, John…” Kyle replied becoming energy and traveling the spaceways in record time across thousands of sectors.

Earth, California…

KNOCK KNOCK KNOCK tap tap tap tap…

“Hey mom.” Kyle said standing in the now opened doorway of his mother’s home.

“Was that the old Mario Bros. theme?” she asked with a grin.

“Surprised you still remember that!” Kyle said laughing.

Kyle’s mother Moira was a modest looking single woman. A little heavy set, mid 50’s, and had paintings and supplies all over her home. If she looked like anybody famous, Sally Fields wouldn’t be a bad comparison.

“So what are you doing back in California, son?” she asked getting settled back in.

“Staying grounded for awhile. I’m tired of flying around through space.” he said with a sigh.

“Yeah it’s been awhile since your dear old mother’s heard from you. I wondered if you were alive for awhile…” she commented with a look on her face.

“The whole reason I told you about getting the ring was so you wouldn’t worry if I fell off the face of the Earth for awhile.” Kyle said with a look on his face now too.

“You’re not wearing one now, what happened?” Moira said being the astute observer she was.

“It’s a long story…” he said.

Later…

“My mom has always been one for details. I had planned on staying in her guest room but she was being clingy. I’ve been gone for too long.” Kyle thought walking down a busy street with a backpack over his shoulder.

“I haven’t talked to my friend Tyler since his car accident a few years back. All of my contacts were still in my old phone, and I could use the opinion of a friend who doesn’t wear a bright costume and fight metahumans and alien monsters on the regular. Tyler and I were in art school together before I moved to NYC around the time I got the ring. He’s meeting me at our old hangout…” Kyle thought as he continued up the street.

The Heretic was a bar that was like a second home to the two friends in college. Kyle sat next to a guy who looked to be stuck in the 90’s grunge phase with a flannel shirt and ripped up jeans.

“They just let everybody into this place nowadays..” Kyle joked as Tyler turned around with a big smile.

“KYLE! How’ve you been man? How’s it been since you moved to the big apple?” he asked.

“I was actually thinking of moving back to Cali.” Kyle replied.

“No way… no WAY man…” Tyler mumbled .

“Ty? What’s the matter, dude?” Kyle asked.

“I haven’t called anybody ‘dude’ in a long time. Almost feels weird now…” Kyle thought turning around after noting the surprised look on Tyler’s face just before he drank an entire beer out of sheer awkwardness.

There she stood. If there was a scale of one to ten, this woman was at least a sixteen or seventeen. Long strawberry blonde hair pulled back, a NIN t-shirt, and a stare that could pierce through any man. She’s what Kyle had planned to ask his friend about.

“Damn.” Kyle thought taking a good long look.

“You pack up and leave for NYC without me, then don’t even have the decency to call or check your Facebook after you get there… and now you want to come back and pick up the pieces?” she said rather loudly.

“It’s good to see you too… Alex.” Kyle responded looking over her shoulder at breaking news.

“A man calling himself Ohm is wrecking the downtown Los Angeles area. It’s unknown if he’s metahuman or somehow powered by the bits of metal technology all over his upper body, but police are doing what they can to keep civilians back away from the chaos…” came from the television up in the corner of the bar.

“Sorry to run off guys, but I just remembered I told my mom I was cooking dinner tonight.” Kyle said abruptly grabbing his bag and heading for the back entrance.

“I’ve been a Lantern for a few years. Right now, I just need to be me.” Kyle thought changing into a white t-shirt and drawing a symbol on it with a glowing fingertip on his chest.

“I needed to lay low and create a new identity for myself. Sure it’s not ‘new’ exactly, but I only used the name for like a week tops and the general media gave it zero attention. John and the rest can go back to calling me… ION.”

~//V\\~
        Ωmega Man
        Guardian of the Universe
        Last edited by Ωmega Man; 04-23-2017, 07:46 PM.

Comment

ok just a few things

1) when did Kyle's mom and Alex come back to life or did i miss a issue or 2?

2) the "tin can" that Stel put on Kyle's chest is that to connect him to every Lanterns battery? if so i don't know why but i thought Kyle would be flying off to anyone that needed a recharge and do a little team up along the way (ie "so your rings recharged need any help fighting these guys while i'm here" and all that)

ether way it's still good

IonFan says

MAGA then, MAGA now, MAGA FOREVER

Comment

Originally posted by IonFan View Post
            ok just a few things

1) when did Kyle's mom and Alex come back to life or did i miss a issue or 2?

2) the "tin can" that Stel put on Kyle's chest is that to connect him to every Lanterns battery? if so i don't know why but i thought Kyle would be flying off to anyone that needed a recharge and do a little team up along the way (ie "so your rings recharged need any help fighting these guys while i'm here" and all that)

ether way it's still good
            1.) With the New52 a lot of details haven't been touched on. So to do away with the women in refrigerators club I brought them both back. In the New52, if the flashback in New Guardians is any indication of a new origin for Kyle... he was already in NYC when he got the ring. Different bar. Different friends. I don't even think Alex has been mentioned since Blackest Night. With Kyle's mom, I'm taking away the bits of Kyle's history that involve a lot of Jade or Donna Troy so becoming Ion before the Sin War and his mom dying are out. Probably gonna off one of them though, dunno which yet...

2.) The 'tin can' is actually connected to their rings. The personal batteries are what was being dropped and originally their rings were going to tap into a new CPB. Now Kyle 'will have to do.' Can't believe nobody mentioned me reusing THAT line LOL. I could've sworn somebody said it somewhere and it was mentioned Kyle could power a Lantern from ANY sector because of the energy he''s giving off. He feels a pulse in his chest every time a Lantern's ring gets a charge, but he doesn't have to be in their sector. Though that brings up an excellent story point... what if the GLC all copped a charge at the same time before a big battle without warning after getting their ranks up to about 1000 and Kyle goes into a seizure back on Earth?

~M~
            Ωmega Man
            Guardian of the Universe
            Last edited by Ωmega Man; 08-22-2015, 04:44 AM.

Comment

Working on the next chapter against Ohm, finished this initial design for Ion for my New52 line of comics in another thread. This fanfic will be more regular depending on what type of job I can find and any new schedules I have to work around...

I had to resave some images here and further down so I put them all in one pic. Here's Kyle's first Ion suit fighting against Ohm as well as concepts for Purgatory [who's now a biker in the Sons of Neron] as well as Major Zmeck [aka Major Force].

~//V\\~
              Ωmega Man
              Guardian of the Universe
              Last edited by Ωmega Man; 08-12-2017, 04:35 PM.

Comment

Looking back at this I think I can still tie this into mostly what's being done with the rest of the universe [except of course for what's been happening in GLC and GL].

His power level will make him know something is off on REBIRTH Earth as soon as he gets settled in. He won't know the new52 Wally, he'll remember classic Wally and Roy Harper and thinking he was in the Titans and the Justice League. He'll have dreams of Donna but forget their retconned past for the most part. And dream about his mother dying.

Yeah, definitely gonna pick this one back up. Got some different looks I'm playing with for Kyle's new Ion suit, but the general color scheme and line breaks will be inspired more by his classic suit. Ohm is on deck for a beating, and I mentioned bringing back the newer Tattooed Man, I'm thinking about bringing back an oldie like Purgatory.

Anybody looking at this? Give me feedback!! Once I settle on his look moving forward I'll have the next chapter or two posted.

EDIT: I already settled on the symbol LOL
                <<<<<

~//V\\~
                Ωmega Man
                Guardian of the Universe
                Last edited by Ωmega Man; 04-23-2017, 07:33 PM.

Comment

So moving forward I'm gonna change the format a little and make the green tinted text Kyle's inner thoughts. I'll post his new suit later, but tell me what you guys think! I'm also editing small bits here and there to make previous chapters more Rebirth centered rather than DCYou as it was originally as well as changing the thought bubble text and adding a few more of Kyle's thoughts to previous chapters also!

Power of Ion
                  Rebirth
                  Chapter 1: Stranger Things

“My name is Kyle Rayner. And it’s my first night back on Earth.”

Kyle is in somewhat heroic looking attire with a black pair of jeans and a white t-shirt with a new symbol on it. He was just blasted with electrical looking energy through a car. Kyle stood back up with green energy flowing from his eyes…

“Recently, in an attempt to make the Green Lantern Corps a new Central Battery out of the old blue one on Odym, I was caught in an explosion that basically made ME a mobile Central Power Battery. Without a ring, the power flow is a lot different. And whenever a Lantern is charging their ring from sectors away I feel a pulse in this little tin can thing Stel put in my chest to regulate the power…”

Kyle fired back extending both hands and firing energy from them as well as the center of his chest. The target was a man who almost resembled the old tech’ed out Sonar, however he was using the alias Ohm and looked to have a middle eastern look to him. The large blast of power from Kyle seemed to screw with a lot of the technology integrated into the man’s body.

“Fighting this loser seems familiar for some reason. Almost like déjà vu. The authorities are doing a damn good job keeping the people back. It gives me room to breathe to take this guy down without anybody getting hurt.” Kyle continued to think.

“If you’re smart you’ll stay down, big guy.” Kyle said standing over the KO’ed enemy.

In the audience, Kyle’s ex Alex tried snapping photos of the hero before he flew away. The glare from the energy in his eyes made it impossible to get a good look at him through any kind of camera.

“Damn.” She said looking at two or three pics on her phone before deleting them all.

Three days later…

Kyle is on the internet looking for a place to live. On the screen are listings for Coast City, Los Angeles, as well as Santa Barbara, and San Diego.

“Apparently when I get a new phone I won’t have to use this old clunky computer my mom’s got in her kitchen. So much has changed on Earth in the little time I was away. It’s like five years just vanished. Still, setting up a new email and finding a new place shouldn’t be that complicated. I’ll check out the phone store a bit later.” Kyle thought now standing up from the kitchen bench he was sitting on.

“Thankfully I had some art put back in storage my mom saved before I lost the unit. I raked in almost forty thousand just off of about ten pieces, eight paintings and two sculptures. Doesn’t hurt Bruce Wayne bought half of them for his offices in Gotham. I had a couple fans back in NYC who got the rest.” He continued thinking, picking up a sketch pad and dropping down on the couch.

“Kyle?!” his mother shouted from the kitchen.

“Yeah, mom?” he replied still doodling.

“I can make you a cream cheese omelet but I don’t have any scallions. That okay?” she asked.

“Yeah mom, that’s cool. I think I might’ve found a place!” he mentioned.

“That’s great baby, did you ever decide on a new super outfit?” she asked bringing him his food.

“Costume, mom. They call it a costume. I think I’ve got something hammered out though.” He responded digging into the food as his mother picked up the sketch pad.

“Have you talked to Alex or Tyler anymore?” she asked then setting the pad back down on the coffee table.

“Tyler’s actually the one who told me about the apartment I’m looking at. It’s in the Arts District near the east side towards the LA River.

“What’s the matter, son, you don’t like staying with me in Glendale?” his mother joked.

Elsewhere…

An African-American man with several tattoos showing under his hoodie and tanktop answered his phone walking down the street.

“Did you get the crate?” asked the voice on the other end.

“Yeah, I got your guns. Do you have the cash?” replied the hooded man.

“Two hundred thousand. When and where?” asked the voice on the other end.

“Sixth Street Viaduct. Midnight. Don’t keep me waiting.” The man said hanging up his phone and putting it back in his pocket.

Later…

“So… what do you think of the new phones, Kyle?” his mother asked as he walked through her front door. The clock on the wall read around 9:15 pm...

“It’s gonna take some getting used to. The apartment Tyler showed me was perfect, by the way. I can start moving in Friday, it’s a loft apartment. Just sucks there’s not a Radu’s underneath like back in NYC…” Kyle mentioned.

“That’s good. The Ukrainian coffee guy?” she asked.

“Romanian. But yeah, that’s the one. He opened up a few more spots but they’re all back in NYC. I’m gonna fly out later this week to drop off a couple paintings I sold, I’ll get a cup of coffee while I’m there. I called one of the only other super-people I still have a phone number for, Roy, might see him while I’m out there and catch up on superhero gossip.” Kyle replied.

“Oh… do you know that sexy guy with the wings who flies around shirtless all the time..?” his mother asked.

“Hawkman? Yeah, I know him, but he wasn’t a member of the Justice League when I was a member.” Kyle explained.

“You were on the Justice League? Son, your mother would’ve remembered something like that. I’m not slipping into senility yet…” Moira replied with a laugh.

“Since when was I not a member of the Justice League?” Kyle thought.

“Mom, I’m gonna go ahead and take a trip back east. Not sure how late I’ll be getting in, but I promise I won’t wake you up. I need to figure some stuff out.” Kyle said generating his new suit.

“Don’t worry if you do, I like the costume. Shouldn’t you have a mask on?” she asked.

“I learned this trick from my friend John…” Kyle began saying as his eyes lit up with green energy, “...the energy I emit from my eyes makes it impossible for any recording device to get an image of my face. A sketch artist would have to stand beside me for a while to be able to get a decent shot of it.”

“If you say so, dear. Be careful.” She said with a kiss on his forehead.

Later…

Titans Tower, NYC…

Kyle made an opening in the ceiling with his power that closed back up after he entered the building. It was night time outside and most of the lights were off in the HQ. He began looking around but didn’t immediately see anybody.

“Roy, you around dude?” he asked aloud.

“Maybe Roy will know what’s going on. How can my mom not remember I was in the League?” Kyle thought looking around a bit more before noticing a painting of the original five Teen Titans during their lost years.

Just then a crimson blur with silver lightning rushed through the room and some lights kicked on. Standing before the man called Ion was the younger Flash, Arsenal, and Troia.

“The heck’s going on, Roy?” Kyle asked.

“Is that YOU, Kyle? You gotta stop changing suits, man…” Roy responded lowering his bow for a moment.

“Nobody ever says anything to Superman. Or Wally apparently, how’ve you been man?” Kyle asked as the Titans looked at each other in shock.

“You remember me?” Wally asked removing his mask.

“Dude… we were on the League together! For some reason my mom doesn’t remember that…”

“Something’s changed history K-Man. Neither of you were in the League…” Roy began saying as Kyle noticed Donna starring at him strangely.

"Curiouser and curiouser..." Kyle thought.

“Do I… know you?” he asked her.

To Be Continued..!

~//V\\~
                  Ωmega Man
                  Guardian of the Universe
                  Last edited by Ωmega Man; 04-23-2017, 07:50 PM.

Comment

Here's the new suit. Anybody out there?

~//V\\~
                    Ωmega Man
                    Guardian of the Universe
                    Last edited by Ωmega Man; 08-12-2017, 04:35 PM.

Comment

I've read 'The Brightest’ (chapters 1 & 2) and it seems a good relaunch to me. I was afraid I could get a bit lost at first, as I left the Green Lantern franchise after the end of the Geoff Johns' run, but //V\\ made a good job introducing all the information about the main characters and the Corps anyone could need for understanding his fanfic.

Since the stories I like the most are those with Kyle Rayner being a Green Lantern (and carrying a power ring), I have to admit changing him to Ion again (although in a bit different way) isn´t the more satisfactory move to me, but anyway, everything can be OK if the story is well told, and ‘The Brightest’ is.

Positive points:
                      -Good characterization and dialogues.
                      -An interesting start point.
                      -Some funny lines (for instance, the reference to Iron Man).
                      -Kyle’s return to Earth.
                      -The recovery of former supporting characters, like Tyler or Kyle’s mother.

(Not so) Negative points:
                      -The lack of more detailed descriptions; basing the fanfic in dialogues is good for keeping the rhythm, but sometimes, it is also advisable to stop for developing the context and allowing readers to imagine the scenes.
                      -No problem with the resurrection of Kyle’s mother (for me, her death is something relatively recent and easily forgettable), but Alex… I think Alex’s death is too linked to Kyle’s origin as Green Lantern to accept it without making a face.
                      -John Stewart’s reaction to the accident suffered by Kyle. Johns’s concerned about his injuries, that´s true, but taking into account Kyle is closed to death because his petition for reigniting the Blue Battery… I think John should have shown more culpability for that.
                      -The lack of more action, or maybe just of a more intriguing aspect seeded to develop in next stories. Everything is OK, but there are no cliffhangers. Nothing so punchy you need to read the next chapter right now.

In conclusion: a good story for introducing readers to Kyle’s new stage, although I wish next stories were more EPIC

Comment

The first two chapters in my mind were more like the Rebirth one shots for books, while chapter three in his story and the first chapter in Power of Ion is more like an ongoing in the post Rebirth universe. The next chapter has the action. More from Kyle's mom, and the adult TITANS.

If you're familiar with a lot of Kyle's earlier run, this series will sort of take notes from that. Almost like somebody was orchestrating them in that way...

I SUPER appreciate the feedback. Generally when I write fanfic I leave it to my mind and how the chapters would play out in a 22 page comic. A lot of your concerns and questions will be answered in the opening arc of Power of Ion.

I generally write less descriptive stuff because usually when I have worked with artists in the past they like to imagine their own thing. There's not much more detail I can go into the setting of Odym without spending a paragraph describing a bird or waterfall that in a comic would really only be seen in three or four panels or a double page spread. I think I put more effort into describing Titans Tower and the weirdness Kyle's picking up on in the post Rebirth universe in chapter three.

I also think I mentioned Alex or Kyle's mom would be dead sooner than later. Kyle will have a hard time trying to protect everybody. You know how classic Wally is a wildcard in this new universe? Kyle will be something similar but this story will focus more on him where Wally has to share a book with other adult Titans dealing with lost memories.

~//V\\~

Comment

Originally posted by -//V\\- View Post
                          Power of Ion
                          Rebirth
                          Chapter 1: Stranger Things
                          I like this one too! It gets to convey the same sensations I felt reading the Ron Marz's and Judd Winick's runs. It's a pity these days we couldn´t read more of this type of 'earthling" stories starring by Kyle Rayner while interacting with regular people and other heroes.

Apart from that, you prove your courage introducing the current continuity mess in your story with promises of solving any inconsistency. I've only read the DC Universe Rebirth one-shot and Titans Rebirth #1, but I think I understand what you are doing here and feel pretty curious about it.

I'm totally ready for Chapter 2

Comment

Kyle's power levels as a White Lantern and as this new version of Ion have him remembering things from both version of the universe. He doesn't remember everything, but his League membership and Aquaman with a hook hand stand out as well as Wally being the one and only Flash in a red suit.

I actually brainstormed a few more plots earlier while replying to a PM. Fans of Kyle's earlier adventures as a GL [his 'rookie' year between issues #51-100], Judd Winick's Hand of God/Ion saga, as well as his time later under Ron Marz pen in the Ion maxi series... yeah I think I've got the Kyle fix you're all looking for. I had a lot of fun with the Dark Lantern series, but this lighter toned Kyle weaving into what's going on in the current comics is [for me] a blast.

I'm speaking with my editors [my inner monologues] about bringing back another lost character from the 90's outside of what I already have plotted. It's a bit more of a task though with this one, everything else I've written has been coming along pretty organically. I'll have to do some fact checking with this Mr. Oz character and who he's abducted thus far post-Rebirth. Should have the next chapter up this time next week. Got the next three chapters already plotted out...

~//V\\~

Comment

Power of Ion
                              Rebirth
                              Chapter 2: Changing Lanes

“My name is Kyle Rayner. Two minutes ago I was told reality has been altered. My friends in the Titans dropped the bomb and apparently Wally West has been through the ringer. Now, this gorgeous woman is eyeballing me and I’m not sure if she’s into me or just wants to take my head off with that sword…”

“Do I… know you?” Kyle asked dimming his eyes to appear more normal.

“I am not one you would forget. My name is Donna. Any friend of Wally’s is a friend of the TITANS.” said the dark haired Amazon wearing bulletproof bracelets along with black and silver Themysciran armor as she put her weapons back in their sheaths.

“His power levels the last year or two have been through the roof, you think…” Roy began to say.

“He could’ve been affected differently. I vaguely remember our time in the Justice League together.” Wally mentioned.

"Why's the Amazon chick still staring a hole through me? Almost like I kicked her dog or something. Even with my power she gives me goosebumps."

To break the awkwardness of the situation, Kyle turned back to Wally and asked…

“Didn’t Aquaman have like a harpoon hand or something?!” Kyle exclaimed leaning up against a wall.

“I think he did. My memories though are still a little fuzzy. Since I’ve been back nearly everyone has forgotten about me until I touch them. The spark that happens gives them a glimpse into the universe I remember.” Wally replied.

The group had sort of migrated over to one side of the large room near a sofa and a couple of chairs. Donna and Roy had already sat down and Wally had just taken a seat. Kyle had followed behind Wally and took another lean against the wall facing his friends.

“If you think it’ll answer some questions… get over here and give me a fist bump or something, West.” Kyle responded straightening up and off of the wall.

Wally came into the fist bump with a smirk and a raised eyebrow and the ensuing memory overload had been one of the more extreme. Wally was as shocked as the other Titans when Kyle seemed to go into a seizure for a few moments. He would have fallen to the ground and given himself a concussion if not for Donna catching him and lying him down until he was back to normal.

“I don’t know what West just did to me. I saw glimpses of our time together in the League. Roy and I on a team with a few heroes that don’t look familiar at all now…. Alex dismembered in a fridge… and my mom’s funeral… and that Donna chick. And some green girl?” Kyle thought as he came out of the seizure.

“A lot of that looked like a nightmare, Wally.” Kyle said picking himself up then turning and looking at Donna, “I saw you and I had a lot of history.”

Just then Wally seemed to get a call from Barry back in Central City. His phone was on a counter across the room and when it began ringing it didn’t take long for Wally to dash over there.

“Alright, I got ya. I should be there in about two minutes.” Wally said as he put his phone in some hidden compartment in the waist of his suit and pulled his mask back on. “Guys I have to run to Central. Kyle, you can stay and hang out for a bit if you want. We don’t have any leads dealing with what’s going on though…”

“I actually need to head back to Cali and get ready to move into my new apartment at the end of the week. You guys keep me posted. Roy, call me dude! I’ve got to come back to NYC to drop off some paintings before this weekend if you guys are around!” Kyle said as his eyes lit up with green energy and he followed the darker clad Flash out the large window.

Los Angeles

The dark skinned man with several tattoos stood beside of an SUV with a crate in the back. He looked at his phone, it read 11:58 pm. Nobody else was in sight. The engines of motorcycles could be heard rumbling in the distance. Four bikers and another SUV pulled down into the viaduct. A window rolled down and one of the bikers approached. The same biker stepped forward, still about twenty feet away from the Tattooed Man.

“Did you bring the guns?” the biker asked. He had a poorly groomed goatee, long hair, a sleeveless leather jacket that read ‘Sons of Neron’ on the back, and the general look of a grungy biker.

“They’re in the back. I need to see the cash…” replied the Tattooed Man.

Just then all of the bikers pulled their guns on the man in the hoodie. Their shotguns, a machine gun, etc. were enough to take down a small army.

“Do you accept LEAD?!?” the biker screamed as the gang opened fire and the man in the hoodie jumped back behind his SUV.

“Almost back at my Mom’s. After some of the things I saw when Wally touched me I’m not so sure I want to go back to that universe. It was like something out of a horror… oh you have GOT to be kidding me!?!” Kyle thought flying through LA and seeing a skull with bat wings breathing fire at bikers under a bridge while the man in the hoodie wrapped one of the bikers up in barbed wire that seemingly came to life right off of the tattoo on his arm.

“I don’t know what’s going on, but bikers, guns, and whatever THAT is shouldn’t be having a pow wow at midnight…” Kyle continued thinking to himself as he used his power to construct a green translucent McDonalds playhouse with no exit slides to contain the bikers in.

“I’m not going back to the Slab. Get out there and do me proud…” said the Tattooed Man as giant tigers, a devil woman, a couple scorpions, and a hearse themed monster truck came out of his arms and chest at the hero.

“That doesn’t look like any LA Ink I’ve ever seen, dude. I’ve got more imagination than you’ve got tattoos though!” Kyle exclaimed creating a twenty-five feet tall green mech suit like something out of Mech Warrior.

“Is that a fact, hero?” Tattooed Man asked himself as a serpent dragon came to life off of his back to aid the tigers and devil woman after the scorpions and monster truck were quickly vanquished and released back to their ink tattoo form on the hooded man.

“You think you’re the only guy who’s into anime?” Tattooed Man screamed as an even larger more humanoid mecha came to life off of his calf and went at Ion.

“THAT I wasn’t expecting. Have to rethink my strategy…” Kyle thought struggling to stay focused and build a larger mech off of the base of the construct he was already in. He failed to see the Tattooed Man jump back in his SUV and take off. After finally gaining the upper hand on the tattoo constructs they seemed to just turn into smoke and dissipate.

“You’re out of your league you Gundam knockoff. I can do this all… day?” Kyle said as the last of the constructs, the mecha, dissipated.

“Damn.” He thought floating in the air now dissipating his construct and surveying the area for any clues or major damage that would need fixed by morning. Blue and red lights were already on their way and at the sight of the first one Kyle responded with a megaphone from about twenty feet in the air closer to the bottom of the bridge…

“These boys were having a shootout with a meta. Their guns are where the kid’s shoes normally go on these kinds of playgrounds. Probably unmarked and enough to take them in for…” he continued as the police were exiting their cars and going towards the construct. “The playground should fade soon…” Kyle said flying off. Nobody noticed the main biker’s eyes glow green.

Afterwards…

Kyle was standing outside the front door of his mother’s home. He looked both ways down the street before he used his power to phase through her door. Kyle hovered slightly and kept the glowing aura around him dim as he floated toward the couch. The clock on the wall read 12:40 am.

Later, the clock read 3:50 am…

Kyle tossed and turned on his mother’s couch in his sleep. He dreamed of Donna, having a relationship, her in a super suit with more stars, and then Alexandra DeWitt and some girl with green skin again. The dreams and flashes come to a head when Kyle is at Alex’s grave with his friend Tyler and then at his mother’s grave with Donna and Guy Gardner. He woke up in a sweat and screamed…

“MOM?!? ALEX!?!” he exclaimed in a panic.

“Donna?” he thought.

To be continued in… Chapter 3: Who Lives, Who Dies?

~//V\\~

Comment

Working...
                              X