What Book Are You Reading?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Yo.

I can understand their position really, cuz the differences are REALLY pretty glaring the further I get along, but given the.........intensity of certain actions & reactions with in regarding personal relationships and the general situation, I wasnt that surprised (tbch, Id have expected it.)

my only concern is that this should REALLY not be a long running show, but have a set finite # of seasons; Id hate to see this thing get to a Season 9, and have been stale since Season 3......

Tazer

Originally posted by Andrew NDB
    Geoff Johns should have a 10 mile restraining order from comic books, let alone films.

Comment

• Finally finished this:

Originally posted by Hypo View Post
      It took me forever 'cause I just downright disliked the book. Ugh.

Also finished:

Originally posted by Hypo View Post

Really enjoyed the Odyssey One series so far and am eagerly awaiting the third book.

Currently taking a break from this because honestly I feel like the wheels fell off the series after the first book:

Going to start this today:

Comment

• So, I ignored my own call to take a break from Trek and/or catch up with some other reading (TPBs, a couple other started books, magazines) and instead jumped right back in ...

I figure I may as roll with this Trek run I'm currently on.

Comment

• I am going to try reading The Rise of The Governor. I got it from SDCC's Walking Dead Experience and looks interesting. Has anyone read it? I want to try and get a book in before school starts. Thanks
          A teacher affects eternity; He can never tell where his influence stops.

-Henry Adams

Comment

• Comment

• Finished Fellowship of the Ring, the Del Rey copy with Ted Nasmith's bitching-cool art on the cover.

It was very good, though I was a little put off by how Tolkien would sometimes have a very precise description of some things and then go light on others (he left a fair bit to imagination regarding the Balrog, for both good and ill). One description that I wish had been used by Jackson in his films was that of the Nazgul (see the link above), since Nasmith's rendition is spot-on; it's exactly what a mail-clad knight, undead or alive, would look like.

I'm also kind of puzzled by Jackson's decision to shoehorn Arwen into Fellowship, since her role in the book is vastly more limited (in the novel, an elf helps the hobbits and Aragorn at that point, and the river is not brought alive by Arwen's chanting but by a mixture of Elrond's and Gandalf's magic).

Second thing: Jackson removing Radagast. Sure, he shoehorned him into Journey, but seriously, that fucks up the timeline massively and whatnot. In Fellowbook, Radagast has a short scene where he speaks to Gandalf about him needing to see Saruman, and that's it. It doesn't display his prowess as a wizard or a sledracer for shit, but still makes you wonder as to his exclusion.

Third thing: Saruman. Frankly, I wish Jackson had at least matched Ralph Bakshi's version, which was a bit more faithful to how Saruman called him ("Saruman of Many Colors"), since it makes a helluva lot more sense than having two White wizards. Also, making Saruman a footman of Sauron (Jackson) was pretty poor a move. Sure, Lee is fucking amazing in the role, but fuck, Jackson, servitude was not the Man of Skill's way.

Fourth thing: Tom Bombadil. Kind of wish he was in the film, or at least briefly mentioned at Elrond's Council. Was really good reading about him, after my dad had mentioned him a bunch some time back and made me wonder what the fuck he was on about.

Lastly, I'm now probably going to end up fiddling with tossing Tengwar onto whatever random shit I draw here and there, since it's a damn beautiful script. (Just gotta figure it out. since I'm bad at linguistics).

Anyway, onto Two Towers, with intermittent readings of something else for when I have a change of desire.
              Villain Draft 3: Fourth Place Winner

September 11, 2001; January 6, 2021; February 13, 2021

Comment

• The change at the ford in the film was baffling and disappointing to me. Not only was Arwen not involved, but Frodo was completely sane/conscious and uttered a phrase that added to the effect. I used to have this art on my wall when I was little and I had a very clear picture (in-line with the book) of the scene:

The script writers said somewhere that they're not changing Saruman to the many colored has to do with his ending. You'll see in RotK that they vastly changed his last bits. But yeah, it's pretty dumb. "The White" is the high office so it's nonsensical to have two.

Comment

• Winner of THE INFAMOUS PEOPLE DRAFT 2011

Comment

• For Movie/Book club.

Comment

• Read these two while at the beach this week.

Started this one today.

Comment

• Comment

• :Moderator:

Just finished Joseph Conrads "Heart of Darkness".

It was part of the inspiration behind Apocalypse Now. I will admit, I found it pretty difficult to read, the writing style was unlike any I had encountered before. Seemed very disjointed and full of implications, plus the language was old(ish). Not bad though, I can see where the movie is influenced by it.

Now, Moby Dick.
                          sigpic
                          Winner: Reality TV draft 2014

"Weeds. All of them weeds. I am perfection, and I am alone in the garden of the universe." - Cyborg Superman

Comment

• ^I found that difficult too and I was an English major and I am comfortable with Dickens, Austen, Milton, Shakespeare etc. Something about his style is very slow and requires very careful reading. Maybe I should try again some time.

But Apocalypse Now is great! And the "influence" is obvious once you've read HoD.

Comment

• Originally posted by Space Cop View Post

Finished this and loved it. I go on vacation in a couple weeks, during which I'll read some Kindle stuff, so I think in the mean time I'll refrain from starting something new and instead catch up on some started books, mags, and TPBs.

Comment

• Comment

Working...
                                X