The Green Lantern Corps Message Board

Go Back   The Green Lantern Corps Message Board > General > General/About Us
FLASHCHAT

General

Old 04-08-2019, 08:30 AM   #1601
Jeff
Guardian of the Universe

Hello my friends,
Just wanted to drop a quick line and say hi.
Also, I am *so* looking forward to KoM more than any other movie this year. More than avengers, star wars.... I have watched a KoM trailer every single day since the first one came out. So hyped for this movie I might buy a ticket to a late night showing instead of my....preferred way of viewing movies.

Hope you are all well.
Old 04-08-2019, 12:54 PM   #1602
Space Cop
The Dandy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff View Post
Hello my friends,
Just wanted to drop a quick line and say hi.
Hey, hi. Drop in more often.

Quote:
Also, I am *so* looking forward to KoM more than any other movie this year. More than avengers, star wars.... I have watched a KoM trailer every single day since the first one came out. So hyped for this movie I might buy a ticket to a late night showing instead of my....preferred way of viewing movies...
As you probably could guess, I still think of these American-made ones (let alone CGI) as imitation Godzilla, but for an imitation one, it's looking good and I'll probably go first showing with the fam and a friend.
Old 04-08-2019, 08:36 PM   #1603
Agent Purple
The Illustrated Man

Jeff still being around is better news than King of Monsters winning an Academy Award.
Old 04-08-2019, 08:43 PM   #1604
Space Cop
The Dandy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agent Purple View Post
Jeff still being around is better news than King of Monsters winning an Academy Award.
Old 04-09-2019, 04:33 AM   #1605
Jeff
Guardian of the Universe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agent Purple View Post

Old 04-09-2019, 04:34 AM   #1606
Jeff
Guardian of the Universe

Holy crap...I didnt mean to stretch out the board like that. But that's how big my heart is.
Old 05-04-2019, 04:12 PM   #1607
Space Cop
The Dandy

+ YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.
Old 05-05-2019, 09:53 AM   #1608
Jeff
Guardian of the Universe

So i watched Shin Godzolla, partly out of wanting to reacquaint myself with it, and partly to show SC that I'm appreciative of all forms Godzilla. I caught the English dubbed version, which made a whole lot more sense than reading subtitles, and you know....I would have enjoyed it more if it weren't for all the political jibber jabber that was boring me to tears. I understand they purposely put that in there to show how a country could deal with massive disaster from a governmental point of view in modern society, but I wanted more big G. Maybe another Kaiju to tango with. And I do remember how the end baffled me as much this time as it did the last time.

I was in Target today and I happened to see a Shin Godzilla figurine made by NECA, so of course I picked it up. Toho deserves my money.
Old 05-05-2019, 10:43 AM   #1609
Space Cop
The Dandy

Quote:
So i watched Shin Godzolla, partly out of wanting to reacquaint myself with it, and partly to show SC that I'm appreciative of all forms Godzilla. I caught the English dubbed version, which made a whole lot more sense than reading subtitles, and you know....I would have enjoyed it more if it weren't for all the political jibber jabber that was boring me to tears. I understand they purposely put that in there to show how a country could deal with massive disaster from a governmental point of view in modern society, but I wanted more big G. Maybe another Kaiju to tango with. And I do remember how the end baffled me as much this time as it did the last time...
The filmmakers have pretty much confirmed that the tail thing was a giveaway of what Godzilla's 5th form would've been if he wasn't frozen. The theory is that he's adapting to the threat, so if people are the threat he would've spawned (or morphed into) little Godzilla people to counter them. As it turns out, that worked well for Toho, who would not have greenlit such a radical departure for Godzilla, but didn't mind hinting what could've been.

NECA has been doing good G toys at good prices lately.
Old 05-31-2019, 04:36 PM   #1610
Space Cop
The Dandy

As someone who watches some of those extreme sports documentaries, this was pretty good.

+ YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.
Old 06-06-2019, 04:25 PM   #1611
Jeff
Guardian of the Universe

Am I the only living being on this board who saw KOTM?

Y'all better get chatty about it or I'm gonna go full DOOM on yer asses.
Old 06-06-2019, 04:59 PM   #1612
Space Cop
The Dandy

^Saw it Tuesday. It's the best of the American knock-off Godzillas, but I still won't be really excited until Toho comes back with a suitmation G film.
You should check out James Rolfe/Cinemassacre's review. He hit on a lot of the problems I too have with it.

Good thing was it amped up the monster action. Ghidorah's new ability was kind of cool and I liked that he was still from space. I was glad to wait through the credits not so much for the teaser as for the memorial to Nakajima.

I hated the Mothra design. Actually, I liked the wings, but hated that grasshopper type body.

Last edited by Space Cop; 06-06-2019 at 05:02 PM.
Space Cop is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2019, 10:21 PM   #1613
Agent Purple
The Illustrated Man

If I'm lucky I'll see it before it leaves theaters, but I have a lot of issues right now to handle so it'll probably be a Netflix rental for me.
Old 06-09-2019, 01:55 PM   #1614
Hypo
Lil' Leaguer

Warner Bros. Bosses Toby Emmerich & Peter Roth On Studio Post Kevin Tsujihara In Streaming Era, Disney/Fox & Potential ‘Godzilla vs. Kong’ Move – Produced By
Quote:
As far as franchise fatigue with Legendary’s Godzilla: King of the Monsters tanking, Emmerich said that next year’s monster movie Godzilla vs. Kong “will deliver for fans in the way they were looking for” in the latest Godzilla. “It might come out later in the year, so we can deliver an A+ movie” said Emmerich.
Sounds like it'll be undergoing reshoots after King of the Monster's reception.
Old 06-09-2019, 07:15 PM   #1615
Space Cop
The Dandy

^That's not a surprise.
Old 06-21-2019, 07:26 AM   #1616
Jeff
Guardian of the Universe

Gotta say, I'm sad about the reception KOTM received because it fulfilled my expectations nicely. Biggest problem in 2014 was the actual amount of screentime G had....well, they fixed it. Then ppl complained about the bland human story in 2014...well, now we get a mutually beneficial relationship between the human and monster aspects of the story because they are threaded together. They mentioned Kong a few times for the setup to 2020 movie. Granted, it's just opinion and doesnt mean a whole lot, but I truly wish the movie had been received better.
Old 06-21-2019, 01:28 PM   #1617
Space Cop
The Dandy

Quote:
Gotta say, I'm sad about the reception KOTM received because it fulfilled my expectations nicely. . .
I know this is harsh, but I would be fine with the under performance if the end result was that the rights reverted back to Toho and they started making proper tokusatsu. Unfortunately, neither the American nor the Japanese film industry think that way.
Old 07-02-2019, 12:19 AM   #1618
Jeff
Guardian of the Universe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Space Cop View Post
I know this is harsh, but I would be fine with the under performance if the end result was that the rights reverted back to Toho and they started making proper tokusatsu. Unfortunately, neither the American nor the Japanese film industry think that way.

That is rather harsh, borderline insulting to someone like me, but opinions are like assholes, etc and so on.

What's stopping toho from making their tokusatsu films now? I mean, they did shin; are there some kind of restrictions on them?
Old 07-02-2019, 12:58 AM   #1619
Space Cop
The Dandy

Quote:
That is rather harsh, borderline insulting to someone like me, but opinions are like assholes, etc and so on. . .
Ha. Well, mark I say that I'm okay with what has already happened if I could get my suit actors back. I'm not wishing the movie bad in and of itself. I just wish we weren't forced into the either/or decision of big Hollywood G or Japanese suit G.

Quote:
...What's stopping toho from making their tokusatsu films now? I mean, they did shin; are there some kind of restrictions on them?
Yep. Shin was made by special arrangement in the window between Kong Skull Island and Godzila: KotM. This isn't speculation. I heard it directly from the director.

Their agreement with Legendary is that they would not have any competing kaiju film until after Godzilla vs. Kong. Of course, it's their own fault. And of course, it doesn't matter since even Toho us highly unlikely to return to suitmation even if they do renew the license themselves in 2022. Shin was a big domestic hit for Toho, so they're unlikely to give up the CGI route.

My guess is that if GvK is a success, Toho will renew Legendary's license to continue the monsterverse. If it's a failure, they'll probably let it fallow a couple years then restart themselves with something more akin to Shin.

Last edited by Space Cop; 07-02-2019 at 01:00 AM.
Old 07-02-2019, 03:43 AM   #1620
Jeff
Guardian of the Universe

It was my understanding Toho was already planning a sequel to Shin because of its success. Is that not the case anymore?
Old 07-02-2019, 03:50 AM   #1621
Space Cop
The Dandy

Quote:
It was my understanding Toho was already planning a sequel to Shin because of its success. Is that not the case anymore?
I have not heard that. In fact, I wonder if they would even when the option is up. The obvious move would be for Shin to thaw out, but dir. Higuchi made it clear that Toho wouldn't allow fifth form Shin (where he splits out into humanoid forms) because it's too radical a departure from Godzilla's standard form.

Last edited by Space Cop; 07-02-2019 at 04:09 AM.
Old 07-02-2019, 08:27 PM   #1622
Agent Purple
The Illustrated Man

I'm not sure I'd want a Shin sequel that had an active Godzilla in it. He's been handled well enough in the first, so have the sequel examine how everyone reacts to another kaiju appearing. That's what I'd rather have in the scenario a Shin sequel even happens, preferably I'd avoid doing one and just have Shin as a unique standalone.
Old 07-02-2019, 08:44 PM   #1623
Space Cop
The Dandy

^I agree. Shin's a better standalone like GMK.
Old 07-26-2019, 01:41 PM   #1624
Space Cop
The Dandy

Criterion Announces Godzilla: The Showa-Era Films, 1954–1975 Blu-ray Set

Old 09-21-2019, 11:54 PM   #1625
Space Cop
The Dandy

I meant to post this before, but just read it myself. This is ScifiJapan's fan critical consensus on Godzilla: King of the Monsters.