Go Back   The Green Lantern Corps Message Board > Miscellaneous > Movies & TV
FLASHCHAT

Movies and TV

Old 06-24-2011, 05:16 PM   #26
TazzMission
Guardian of the Universe

Quote:
Originally Posted by IonFan View Post
ever time-traveling episode of ST disagrees with that, and until they come out with a new ST movie that shows that Next Gen. exist i still say that JJ killed 60+years of ST history
if anything killed star trek it was deep space 9 ionfan.

i tried watching one full episode and i had to turn it off.

at least jj's film was watchable and i still think it was awsome

I felt a great disturbance in the force, as if millions of WWE Network subscriptions were suddenly cancelled.
TazzMission is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2011, 05:19 PM   #27
Sylent_Asassin
Black Lantern

Quote:
Originally Posted by TazzMission View Post
if anything killed star trek it was Voyager.
Fixed.
Old 06-24-2011, 05:21 PM   #28
TazzMission
Guardian of the Universe

Quote:
Originally Posted by sylent_asassin View Post
Fixed.
and enterprise

I felt a great disturbance in the force, as if millions of WWE Network subscriptions were suddenly cancelled.
Old 06-24-2011, 05:22 PM   #29
projectile
Sidekick

Quote:
Originally Posted by TazzMission View Post

at least jj's film was watchable and i still think it was awsome
Thats because it was made to appeal to the masses/general audience, not just Stark Trek fans.

" He who does not punish evil commands it to be done."-Leonardo da Vinci
projectile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2011, 05:24 PM   #30
IonFan
Forum Member

YOU DON'T KNOW WHAT THE H@LL YOUR TALKING ABOUT, DS9 AND VOY KICKED A$$

if anything killed ST it was ENT. (sadly thanks to JJ it's the only thing that's still con. )

IonFan says

Quote:
F**k all the "Haters" 3 years in and i still support our dear leader, one Donald J. Trump
IonFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2011, 05:27 PM   #31
TazzMission
Guardian of the Universe

Quote:
Originally Posted by projectile View Post
Thats because it was made to appeal to the masses/general audience, not just Stark Trek fans.
like i said i never cared for trek until i saw this recent film.

it pushed me to watch the original 3 films and i enjoyed them alot as well.

Old 06-24-2011, 06:30 PM   #32
Mister Ed
Horse of a Different Color

Quote:
ever time-traveling episode of ST disagrees with that, and until they come out with a new ST movie that shows that Next Gen. exist i still say that JJ killed 60+years of ST history
I don't understand why some people will go out of their way to be upset about something even when those with the authority to decide say it ISN'T the case.

It isn't like up until this point Star Trek has ALWAYS been a miracle of scientific (sorry, pseudo-scientific) consistency. It hasn't. Things work differently from episode to episode, alien species change appearance and attributes, the TRANSPORTER is used for everything under the sun, and then never used that way again even when it is the obvious solution to a new problem.

For people to get bent out of shape over a consequence of time travel that they have DERIVED from "the way it works in other episodes" even though those in charge of Trek say it worked differently this time seems the height of creating your own problems to me.

If changing the timeline automatically erases everything that came from an alternate timeline in Star Trek, where did Sela come from, I ask you? Or for that matter, how, in the MOVIE, would old Spock still exist at all, with memories of the other timeline?

It isn't like Star Trek doesn't have a history of experiences with the existence of alternate universes, either, many of which are clearly intended to be functionally equivalent to alternate timelines (like the episode where Worf kept jumping between universes that were similar to his, but had diverged from his history at some point).

If you want to get upset over a non-issue, that's your call. I choose not to. (If a technobabble explanantion of how time travel effects can be different in different cases would help, you can read the recent novel "DTI: Watching the clock" which deals with the Federation's Department of Temporal Investigations, and contains such an "explanation" at one point.)
Old 06-24-2011, 06:34 PM   #33
Mister Ed

Quote:
if anything killed ST it was ENT.
I would agree that the failure of that show killed Star Trek on TV for the forseeable future. The bummer is, in my opinion at least, Enterprise was JUST getting good when they yanked it. (And gave it that EMBARASSING finale. Stunt casting Riker and Troi into ANOTHER show's finale? Ugh.)
Old 06-24-2011, 07:59 PM   #34
SD80MAC
Not a True Fan

Quote:
i still say that JJ killed 60+years of ST history
You'd be wrong. According to Paramount, the prime timeline still exists. (That's why it's called "prime." JJ's stuff is officially called "the alternate reality.")
Old 06-24-2011, 08:03 PM   #35
Shaolinlantern
Parallax Host

I love Star Trek ...I was on the 25th anniversary con at LA, it was very cool!!
Old 06-24-2011, 08:18 PM   #36
BigBlueLantern
Fatality's Blacksmith

Quote:

The Trek Universe we all know and love still exists. Star Trek has shown before (in TOS and Next Gen, hell even DS9) that alternate realities exist. Anyone remember the episode where Worf went from universe to universe and at the end there were like 100 Enterprises in the same place.

Also in the Offical Movie Prequal Comics, the Enterprise-E was present when Spock and Nero when into the singularity, and when it closed they were still there, and if this was as simple as altering the timeline they would have instantly disappeared as evident from the Borg changing history in First Contact. And no they were not caught in a temporal wake which would have protected them from changes in the timeline. So im happy to call the JJ Star Trek and alternate universe, plus the prequal comics showed that Datas memories over wrote B4's programming an he became Captain of the Enterprise!!
Old 06-24-2011, 08:40 PM   #37
SD80MAC
Not a True Fan

The prequel comics aren't canon, however.
Old 06-24-2011, 08:59 PM   #38
Mister Ed

Quote:
Originally Posted by SD80MAC View Post
The prequel comics aren't canon, however.
True. That doesn't much bother me, though. Even though I've seen all of filmed Trek (some of it multiple times), I've probably STILL spent more total time reading non-canon Trek novels and comics. The episodic nature of most of Trek makes canon/non-canon distinctions much less compelling than in other properties that are more of a continuing story.
Old 06-24-2011, 09:36 PM   #39
Space Cop
The Dandy

The canon issue come up a lot with Doctor Who. Personally, I take the "non-canon" stuff (books, whatever) as true until they contradict the show. At that point, the canon of the show trumps them. But when you're reading a ST novel, it could still happen.
Old 06-24-2011, 09:46 PM   #40
Bolerathon
Avant Guardian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Space Cop View Post
The canon issue come up a lot with Doctor Who. Personally, I take the "non-canon" stuff (books, whatever) as true until they contradict the show. At that point, the canon of the show trumps them. But when you're reading a ST novel, it could still happen.
Problem with that is Dr Who contradicts itself in film a few times and that was before the cluster fuck new generation
Old 06-24-2011, 10:04 PM   #41
Space Cop
The Dandy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bolerathon View Post
Problem with that is Dr Who contradicts itself in film a few times and that was before the cluster fuck new generation
Quite. In-canon contradictions are a whole 'nother kettle of fish.
Star Trek's done it too.
Even Star Wars cuts it pretty close with just 6 films (Leia remembers how sad her mother was in the time she knew her?).
Old 06-24-2011, 11:03 PM   #42
Bolerathon
Avant Guardian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Space Cop View Post
Quite. In-canon contradictions are a whole 'nother kettle of fish.
Star Trek's done it too.
Even Star Wars cuts it pretty close with just 6 films (Leia remembers how sad her mother was in the time she knew her?).
Not to mention Han saying that Jedi is an ancient religion when it was around in his lifetime.
Old 06-25-2011, 02:47 AM   #43
Hypo
Lil' Leaguer

This seems very relevant to this thread: Kirk Vs. Kirk Shatner And Pine Arm Wrestle
Hypo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2011, 03:03 AM   #44
Rotten2thecorps
Alpha-Lantern

I dig on original Trek.
Old 06-25-2011, 03:49 AM   #45
IonFan
Forum Member

sorry guys but

Quote:
ever time-traveling episode of ST disagrees with that
don't get me wrong i liked JJ's ST alot it was really good, d@mn good in fact, i just wish it hadn't killed 60+ years of history so until they come out with something (movie or TV) that shows the Next Gen. + years are still around i'm intalled to my belief

IonFan says

Quote:
F**k all the "Haters" 3 years in and i still support our dear leader, one Donald J. Trump
IonFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2011, 11:47 PM   #46
stoat2337
Corps Honor Guard

Fan yes, Trekkie no. Liked everything except Enterprise and that horseshit movie Abrams made.

EDIT: OK I rewatched the new Star Trek and liked everything except the Spock love interest w/ Uhura. WTF was up with that?
One you'll never play again I'm sure...

Last edited by stoat2337; 06-27-2011 at 04:23 PM.
stoat2337 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2011, 12:11 AM   #47
CYLON (13)
Alpha-Lantern

Who's more social/technologically advanced? Hrm...I sense a great disturbance...
"Don't disturb the beast" A Perfect Circle
*Forgiveness does not change the past, but it does enlarge the future.*
CYLON (13) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2011, 02:20 AM   #48
Big Daddy Dave Skywalker
Moisture Farmer

I was a casual Star Trek fan, and still am. I only liked the original series and Next Gen. At one point I had all the 60s series on vhs, and I've seen every movie since Star Trek II in the theater on opening night. I still have most of the Playmate 9" dolls from the 90s, and dozens of the 5" figures they made, all sitting in boxes collecting dust in my attic.

Hated Voyager, missed most of DS9, and never even gave Enterprise a chance. By the time the last few movies came out I was pretty burned out on Trek and washed my hands of it. Star Wars was always my real passion anyway.

I thought I'd hate the new movie and was against the new cast. Saw it on opening night anyway (didn't want to break tradition), and absolutely LOVED it. If they make movies like that with the new cast, I'll keep seeing them in the theater. No interest in a new tv series though.

Last edited by Big Daddy Dave Skywalker; 06-28-2011 at 02:12 PM.
Big Daddy Dave Skywalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2011, 02:26 AM   #49
TazzMission
Guardian of the Universe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Cormier View Post
I was a casual Star Trek fan, and still am. I only liked the original series and Next Gen. At one point I had all the 60s series on vhs, and I've seen every movie since Stra Trek II in the theater on opening night. I still have most of the Playmate 9" dolls from the 90s, and a dozens of the 5" figures they made, all sitting in boxes collecting dust in my attic.

Hated Voyager, missed most of DS9, and never even gave Enterprise a chance. By the time the last few movies came out I was pretty burned out on Trek and washed my hands of it. Star Wars was always my real passion anyway.

I thought I'd hate the new movie and was against the new cast. Saw it on opening night anyway (didn't want to break tradition), and absolutely LOVED it. If they make movies like that with the new cast, I'll keep seeing them in the theater. No interest in a new tv series though.
the only way i would ever watch a new tv series is if they somehow have the movie cast involved with it and have jj direct it.

other than that i welcome another film

Old 06-27-2011, 03:09 PM   #50
Mister Ed

Quote:
don't get me wrong i liked JJ's ST alot it was really good, d@mn good in fact, i just wish it hadn't killed 60+ years of history so until they come out with something (movie or TV) that shows the Next Gen. + years are still around i'm intalled to my belief
That's your choice. But you are creating that "problem" for yourself. The decision of whether it "killed" off that history isn't yours to make in any official way, and those whose decision it IS disagree with you 100%. So just keep that in mind.

The only "problem" you are facing here is totally of your own creation. Neither I nor anybody else can take away your right to get upset about something, even if it doesn't exist, but don't expect a lot of sympathy, from me at least.