Go Back   The Green Lantern Corps Message Board > Miscellaneous > Movies & TV
FLASHCHAT

Movies and TV

Old 09-05-2019, 04:41 PM   #1176
Mister Ed
Horse of a Different Color

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew NDB View Post
Yeah, I recall ENT finding a pretty good stride. And season 3 of ENT is the best Trek I've ever seen, but it's been ages. I hope that's still the case.
I, on the other hand, thought season 3 of Enterprise was abysmal, and it almost got me to stop watching. The Xindi plot was just stupid, IMHO (what kind of morons do a test firing of a secret weapon on the homeworld of their enemy, when they still haven't finished the full weapon?), and dragged on for the whole season. It also gave us the ludicrous fanservice of "Vulcan Neuropressure", which just made me feel embarrassed for the actors. And the whole idea was tied to the ill-conceived "Temporal Cold War" plot that never gave any impression of being thought out well enough to justify making it the thread running through everything.

Quote:
I've always said that show has the biggest even keel of any Trek show. It's never horrible but it's never really great either. If you like one episode you'll probably like them all. Just a flat line of... "OK"-ness. Worst series finale of any Trek show, though.
I'd argue Enterprise's finale was worse. Bringing in Riker and Troi to make your show's finale just a holodeck simulation for characters from another show? Killing off a character in the last episode in such a lame, low-stakes plotline? Sure, I thought Voayger's finale was bad because of Future Janeway's irresponsible actions, but Enterprise's finale was just...sad.

Last edited by Mister Ed; 09-05-2019 at 04:55 PM.
Mister Ed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2019, 04:55 PM   #1177
Andrew NDB
Shot Caller

Send a message via Yahoo to Andrew NDB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister Ed View Post
I, on the other hand, though season 3 of Enterprise was abysmal, and it almost got me to stop watching. The Xindi plot was just stupid, IMHO (what kind of morons do a test firing of a secret weapon on the homeworld of their enemy, when they still haven't finished the full weapon?), and dragged on for the whole season. It also gave us the ludicrous fanservice of "Vulcan Neuropressure", which just made me feel embarrassed for the actors. And the whole idea was tied to the ill-conceived "Temporal Cold War" plot that never gave any impression of being thought out well enough to justify making it the thread running through everything.
I don't remember about "Vulcan Neuropressure." And didn't they jettison the temporal cold war with season 2? I don't remember any Future Guy stuff in season 3.

Quote:
I'd argue Enterprise's finale was worse. Bringing in Riker and Troi to make your show's finale just a holodeck simulation for characters from another show? Killing off a character in the last episode in such a lame, low-stakes plotline?
I personally treat the last episode of ENT like how I think they intended it: a "goodbye" to the whole TNG, DS9, VOY, ENT era and less of a season finale for ENT in itself. And if memory serves, the 2nd to last episode serves this purpose far better.

Quote:
Sure, I thought Voayger's finale was bad because of Future Janeway's irresponsible actions
I liked the stakes with the Borg Queen and all and even the climax of how they got home... but #1: everything wrapped up way, WAY too quickly, too suddenly. #2: 7 years of wondering, "What's going to happen when they get home?" and mentally playing out all these scenarios, hearing, discussing rumors about, "The show is doing bad, they're going to bring home Voyager early," etc., and they don't show us even a tiny morsel of that. Fuck that.
Andrew NDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2019, 04:57 PM   #1178
Space Cop
The Dandy

^Agreed and agreed with Ed.
Enterprise was getting good in season two, took a dive in season 3 (to the point where my family and I were thinking of abandoning it), and came back strong in season 4 (with a lot of my favorite episodes in the series), but then had the worst finale.

Quote:
I personally treat the last episode of ENT like how I think they intended it: a "goodbye" to the whole TNG, DS9, VOY, ENT era and less of a season finale for ENT in itself. And if memory serves, the 2nd to last episode serves this purpose far better...
That's probably true, but it's still a betrayal of the show it closed and TNG had its own better goodbye. But then to casually kill a main character in a way that he would easily escape in any other episode is just dumb.

Last edited by Space Cop; 09-05-2019 at 04:59 PM.
Space Cop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2019, 05:36 PM   #1179
Mister Ed

Quote:
I don't remember about "Vulcan Neuropressure." And didn't they jettison the temporal cold war with season 2? I don't remember any Future Guy stuff in season 3.
I thought the whole reason the Xindi were attacking Earth was because somebody from the future told them that Earth would destroy their homeworld in the future. (More evidence of the idiocy of the Xindi, as I can't imagine just taking the word of some strange aliens from the future when they tell me that I have to pre-emptively destroy an entire planet.) I was pretty sure they "wrapped up" the temporal junk at the beginning of Season 4 (I don't recall it being very satisfying, but was just glad it was out of the way).

As for Vulcan Neuropressure, it was an excuse to have Trip and T'Pol rub each other's naked bodies as a form of "treatment".

Last edited by Mister Ed; 09-05-2019 at 05:41 PM.
Mister Ed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2019, 06:29 PM   #1180
Parrylakks
Anti-Monitor

If you actually watch Enterprise's finale in tandem with the TNG episode 'The Pegasus' from season 7, it's actually fairly good. Granted it's not great as a series finale, but given the fact that the series was a late season cancellation, causing them to eliminate all their plans and try to wrap things up, it was probably the best thing possible to get. Many people behind the scenes have said that 'Terra Prime' is essentially the real (albeit unintended) series finale, and that the TNG centric episode that followed was purely the result of the cancellation, providing them with a way to skip to the end, as it were.
Old 09-05-2019, 11:13 PM   #1181
HalFingJordan
Alpha-Lantern

Star Trek: Discovery was the best thing to happen to Star Trek since TNG, maybe even TOS. I hope Star Trek: Picard follows suit and has the same flavor.

Things are finally elevated from just technobabble and forehead swaps. Also they talk about the real issues of today's world, not imaginary ones.

INVISIBLE SKY DADDY TO THE RESCUE!!!

You don't have to be stupid to believe in God. But it helps.

You can tell a Yorkshireman....but you can't tell him much.
HalFingJordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2019, 05:04 PM   #1182
Space Cop
The Dandy

Happy Star Trek Day

(now 53)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parrylakks View Post
Kirk briefly pilots the USS Constellation in 'The Doomsday Machine' from season 2, and the Constellation is another Constitution class ship, like the Enterprise, so for all intents and purposes this demonstrates that he can pilot the Enterprise on his own.
Yep. re-watched it this morning. That's exactly what I was looking for.

Other notes on this episode:

*Nichols must have been busy or on vacation because some blonde is in her spot.
*Commodore Matt Decker is Captain Will Decker (ST:tMP)'s father in the backstory.

*Oh, and Kirk tells Scotty he earned his pay for the week. I've heard Trekkies explain that away, though, as an archaic expression, but I prefer to think they still worked for money.

Last edited by Space Cop; 09-08-2019 at 06:56 PM.
Space Cop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2019, 07:45 PM   #1183
Big Daddy Dave Skywalker
Moisture Farmer

I never knew that character was.Captain Decker's father!
Old 09-09-2019, 07:47 PM   #1184
Andrew NDB
Shot Caller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Daddy Dave Skywalker View Post
It's not an important plot point or anything, just fun trivia.
Old 09-09-2019, 08:51 PM   #1185
Space Cop
The Dandy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Daddy Dave Skywalker View Post
Quote:
It's not an important plot point or anything, just fun trivia.
Yep. They don't outright say it in the film, but it's accepted backstory (like in the script Bible or whatever) and I think it would have been explored had those characters become the original TNG as intended. It adds a nice extra element to the tension between Kirk and Will Decker in TMP.
Old 09-22-2019, 12:22 PM   #1186
Space Cop
The Dandy

Remembering Aron Eisenberg, 1969-2019: The Nog actor passed away today at age 50

Quote:
Originally Posted by IonFan View Post
+ YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.

at ease ensign
Sorry to hear it. Maybe I could fit in one of the Nog-heavy episodes today.
Old 10-06-2019, 01:46 AM   #1187
Andrew NDB
Shot Caller

New Picard trailer:

+ YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.

Discovery Season 3 trailer:

+ YouTube Video

Looks like Trill on STD. 100% chance we'll see Dax on the show, about 15 bodies later or so since DS9.
Old 10-09-2019, 08:27 PM   #1188
Andrew NDB
Shot Caller

+ YouTube Video

I saw the first new "Short Trek" called "Q&A" (which is a waste of what could have been a great title for a Q episode). It's got Spock and Number One, when Spock first came aboard the Enterprise. Basically they get stuck in the turbolift and start smiling and singing.

It's maddening levels of bad. And I mean bad. And if that wasn't enough, they show the turbolift corridors and they're like labyrinthian and warehouse-sized, like something from the JJ movies.

Also shocked and disappointed to see this was written by Michael Chabon... the showrunner of Picard who took over from Kurtzman. Not a good sign!
Old 10-09-2019, 09:01 PM   #1189
Mister Ed

I'm disappointed to see Discovery jumping into the future of the Star Trek Universe, as it probably means that every other show (and probably new novels as well) that comes will now HAVE to play into whatever stuff they establish there. I was happier with Discovery staying in its own little, easily-ignorable corner. Once they start jumping through time, they are more likely to pollute the corners of the Star Trek universe that I still enjoy reading about.
Old 10-09-2019, 09:43 PM   #1190
Space Cop
The Dandy

Quote:
...I saw the first new "Short Trek" called "Q&A" (which is a waste of what could have been a great title for a Q episode)...
There's a TNG book with that title.

Quote:
I'm disappointed to see Discovery jumping into the future of the Star Trek Universe, as it probably means that every other show (and probably new novels as well) that comes will now HAVE to play into whatever stuff they establish there. I was happier with Discovery staying in its own little, easily-ignorable corner. Once they start jumping through time, they are more likely to pollute the corners of the Star Trek universe that I still enjoy reading about.
Indeed. I really wish they could avoid re-treading old Trek. Enterprise was bad enough with that.
Old 10-10-2019, 05:32 AM   #1191
bOB spelled backwards
Voice of Guy Gardner

Location: in yer pool with a BIG rubber duck while yer away from home.
Default Any other Star Trek fans on here??

May the Force be with you! Oops!

Nanu! Nanu! Shazbot!

Just kidding! I'm a true Trekkie. Live long and prosper. 🖖🖖🖖
Old 10-10-2019, 02:07 PM   #1192
Mister Ed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Space Cop View Post
Indeed. I really wish they could avoid re-treading old Trek. Enterprise was bad enough with that.
Well, at the moment, they are apparently jumping something like 900+ years into the future, so it isn't going to be overlapping any established Trek (except possibly some Temporal Cold War junk that is better forgotten). But I don't really like Discovery getting to establish Trek's future (especially since it is, predictably, bleak, with the Federation almost gone, etc. Kind of reminds me of Force Awakens coming along and establishing that any optimistic view from the end of RotJ was destroyed).
Old 10-10-2019, 08:17 PM   #1193
Andrew NDB
Shot Caller

Quote:
Well, at the moment, they are apparently jumping something like 900+ years into the future, so it isn't going to be overlapping any established Trek (except possibly some Temporal Cold War junk that is better forgotten).
They're going way past when the Temporal Cold War was and all of that.
Old 10-11-2019, 01:17 PM   #1194
Mister Ed

Temporal cold war was from many various time periods. I'm not sure we know all of them. The Federation agents were from the 31st century, which is what? 800 years past Discovery time? So yeah, I guess they are going a bit past that. Just as well. I didn't like the temporal cold war stuff the first time around, so I'd hate for Discovery to dredge it up. Even if I'm not watching the show, I fear that whatever they deal with will get dragged into other aspects of Trek in some fashion.