Geoff Johns' delusions of grandeur

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by W.West View Post
    If it doesn't hurt the story and makes a natural sense then I'm fine with it. That being said, I don't think Geoff Johns could write a Batman story I would enjoy.
    Yeah, while he can write the character, I don't think Geoff's style is suited for the streets of Gotham and its inhabitants.

Comment

There is nothing delusional about Geoff and his writting, so I really don't get where the TS is coming from at all GL is running on all cylinders right now but it seems the more it grows the more some get their feelings hurt because of it it's weird.
      "If at first you don't succeed, try Kyle again!".

Comment

Yo.

Originally posted by superpc View Post
        what league of batmen? i thought we only have batman family (you know batman, robin, etc.)
        got the name wrong, but here ya go: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Batmen_of_All_Nations

Tazer

Originally posted by Andrew NDB
        Geoff Johns should have a 10 mile restraining order from comic books, let alone films.

Comment

Originally posted by Andrew NDB View Post
          Thank Tomasi (when he was editor) and Gibbons for that, not Geoff.
          You know Geoff wrote GL: Rebirth...then even co-wrote GLC: Recharge, and yea I thank them both too.
          White Lantern's Oath

From the center of all that is right,
          To that which challenges all your might,
          Never fade or give into strife,
          Don't let it end...Live Your Life!

Comment

Originally posted by Lantern View Post
            You know Geoff wrote GL: Rebirth...
            So you can direct me to the point in GL: Rebirth where it brought back the Corps in any way beyond where it already was? Hal's resurrection aside?

then even co-wrote GLC: Recharge, and yea I thank them both too.
            As long as you also give thanks to Joe Kelly, who brought back Oa; you give thanks to Judd Winnick, who brought back the Guardians and repowered the Central Power Battery; you give thanks to Ben Raab, who brought back Kilowog and started the Corps' march back to fulfilment; you give thanks to Peter Tomasi, who first dreamed up the restoration of the Corps and resurrection of Hal Jordan (and received Didio's backing) who picked Geoff Johns' pitch out of the many other "Bring Back Hal Jordan pitches" Tomasi solicited from several writers.

Geoff Johns' piece of the credit pie insomuch as the return of the Corps is quite small. It's there, but small.

Comment

I really like what GJ has done with GL. To be honest, I have in the past really liked the idea of the GLC but thought that the character and stories were just boring. After reading Rebirth I changed my mind about that and happily.

As for 7200 GL's instead of 3600, well heck... the universe is a big place.

Comment

I like what Geoff does to the characters and making their families bigger I like that it makes them more interesting and more characters in the books.
                No Sir, I punched the viceroy in the stomach, then I headbutted him in the face. Sir.-Hal Jordan

Villain Draft (Best Team Winner)/Proud Supporter of the DCnU

Comment

Originally posted by superpc View Post
                  bravo maverick you convey my point better than i did. unless geoff and company can find more stuff to do for the other lantern (green or otherwise) i wish some of them (a lot of them) got killed (the nameless grunt, not any major ones, please don't kill saint walker or ganthet).
                  Well there aren't a lot of Blue Lanterns anyways (and Geoff has said it will be revealed who Hal's (former) Blue Ring will select as well. So that would only leave us with 5, I hope (no pun intended) that they will all live since that would make for nice character developement in future stories, and maybe they'd become a part of the GLC and replace the Alpha Lanterns (they'd get a green ring, and the ALs are pretty powerful anyways, and have two rings as well).
                  -His Divine Majesty King Groot the 23rd, Monarch of Planet X, custodian of the branch worlds, ruler of all he shades, flora colossus.

Comment

I really don't get why people have a problem with adding to the scope of the series, or the Universe itself. I personally am loving the scope Geoff has been bringing to the DC Universe. I like the idea of each sector having 2 Lanterns. (An paresonally i see it as a way for him to explain kinda in-story why there are so many Earth GL's and keep all active w/o making it to convuluted.) As far as New Krypton, anyone can tell that when all is said an done there won't still be another planet in our Solar System, but it's a great story while there is. What's wrong with it? It's a great chance to really explore Krypton, and Kal's struggle between his Kryptonian heritage and Human upbringing in a new and exciting way. An i dunno about you, but i can't wait to see a major throw down between General Lane's forces and Zod's army. I can see a couple ways to make Batman epic. I mean Morrison an company just got done w/ it in R.I.P. and Battle for the Cowl. An i can't wait for WW to have something Epic that stics, Amazons Attack definatle not with-standing. Keep em comin Geoff.

Comment

Originally posted by Andrew NDB View Post
                      So you can direct me to the point in GL: Rebirth where it brought back the Corps in any way beyond where it already was? Hal's resurrection aside?

As long as you also give thanks to Joe Kelly, who brought back Oa; you give thanks to Judd Winnick, who brought back the Guardians and repowered the Central Power Battery; you give thanks to Ben Raab, who brought back Kilowog and started the Corps' march back to fulfilment; you give thanks to Peter Tomasi, who first dreamed up the restoration of the Corps and resurrection of Hal Jordan (and received Didio's backing) who picked Geoff Johns' pitch out of the many other "Bring Back Hal Jordan pitches" Tomasi solicited from several writers.

Geoff Johns' piece of the credit pie insomuch as the return of the Corps is quite small. It's there, but small.
                      Maybe Joe Kelly, but Last Will and Testament wasn't that good. Judd and Ben, no thanks. I read their run and even re-read some of again and it wasn't that good. Sure there are key elements from them, but not all of it was crafted to shape what is currently now. Look at the idea of Ion and Parallax and what they are now. Also, are you making sure to give thanks to Alan Moore, Dave Gibbons, Martin Nodell, Bill Finger, Gil Kane, John Broome, and Julius Schwartz? Heck that list can go on. I've been reading GL for a long time, both good and bad. I'm glad for what we have now and I'm glad that we have a writer like Geoff who is excited, can take the older stuff and make it revelent, and works well with others in order to give us one of the best runs on Green Lantern. How great is it, that at conventions you see people wearing GL related items now?

Also GL: Rebirth didn't bring the corps back, you and I both know that. It did set the stage though. It got all the Earth GLs back together with Kil, it got the Guardians thinking about a GL corps. Mainly it set up the comic book franchise too. So I'm not saying him entirely, because its not. But I am saying Geoff is a good part of that. I remember the last time GL change, we lost everything for one guy. Now that is has changed, we got everything back and including that one guy too. Thats great story telling in my opinion. So go ahead and disect this how you want and lets keep going.
                      White Lantern's Oath

Comment

Also Andrew where are your sources for these? I would love to see where the info where this came from: "you give thanks to Peter Tomasi, who first dreamed up the restoration of the Corps and resurrection of Hal Jordan (and received Didio's backing) who picked Geoff Johns' pitch out of the many other "Bring Back Hal Jordan pitches" Tomasi solicited from several writers." I think it would interesting to have known who else was pitching to get Hal back. (Don't take this in an offensive way. I just love reading about behind the scenes items.)
                        White Lantern's Oath

Comment

Yo.

Originally posted by Maverick_GL View Post
                          I agree to a large degree with the initial post: Adding more of something waters it down. Green Lanterns aren't so special anymore, they aren't "bearers of the most powerful weapon in the universe" anymore, they are bearers of "one of 8 most powerful weapons in the universe".

There was a time when a single GL was responsible for their entire sector. This meant they had to be the best of the best, and able to solve problems on their own. But now it seems like they can't do squat without having their partner there with them, or multiple GLs even. Yeah, sometimes in the past there were team ups, but that was only when it was absolutely necessary, not all the time.
                          ya know, I generally dont like Mav cuz hes an evil Canadian hellbent on ruling the world with cheese-spreads of various flavors (trust me, Ive looked it up!!).........but, I'll be DAMNED if the above isnt 100% TRUTH.

/highfive

Tazer

Originally posted by Andrew NDB
                          Geoff Johns should have a 10 mile restraining order from comic books, let alone films.

Comment

Better be prepared to give most of the credit to Didio then. Without him, none of it including Rebirth would have ever gotten approved if he didn't come in determined to bring back Hal and Barry.

Comment

Originally posted by Lantern View Post
                              Also GL: Rebirth didn't bring the corps back, you and I both know that. It did set the stage though. It got all the Earth GLs back together with Kil, it got the Guardians thinking about a GL corps.
                              Yeah, that was GLC: Recharge.

Comment

I sort of agree. I've noticed how every crossover seems to involve a massive Lantern light show of countless thousands of Lanterns all firing their Rings at the enemy of the year. To be honest, it is pretty boring seeing the exact same climax over and over.

Comment

Working...
                                X