The Green Lantern Corps Message Board

Go Back   The Green Lantern Corps Message Board > Green Lanternverse > Green Lantern on the Screen
FLASHCHAT

GL in Animation

Old 10-20-2007, 06:01 AM   #1
Andrew NDB
Shot Caller

Send a message via Yahoo to Andrew NDB
Default Q&A on Justice League movie and Superman: Man of Steel

Part 1: http://www.voicesfromkrypton.com/200...ive-grego.html
Part 2: http://www.voicesfromkrypton.com/200...egory-nov.html

Seems to address a lot of questions buzzing around.
Andrew NDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2007, 11:16 AM   #2
Jack-O-Lantern
Master Customizer

Wow. That was really good. Everyone should read that. It will answer alot of questions and shut some other people up.
The only thing that sucks about the JL movie being made so soon, is that there won't be any individual films for GL WW or Flash. That really sucks. We should have their origin stories being told, before they are all thrown into the team.
I will remain skeptical until I see a trailer. Then I'll be excited but I'll still not set my hopes too high until I'm in the theater.
Jack-O-Lantern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2007, 12:48 PM   #3
genesistorm

very very very interesting.. thanks Andrew!
Old 10-20-2007, 07:07 PM   #4
Andrew NDB
Shot Caller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack-O-Lantern View Post
The only thing that sucks about the JL movie being made so soon, is that there won't be any individual films for GL WW or Flash. That really sucks. We should have their origin stories being told, before they are all thrown into the team.
I'm pretty sure Warner Bros. is looking at the JLA movie (and potential franchise) like the X-Men. Like with X-Men, they had 3 super successful group films, and now they're doing spinoffs like "Wolverine" and "Magneto." In a similar sense, they'll use JLA and its sequels to spinoff "Green Lantern," "Wonder Woman," and so on.
Old 10-20-2007, 08:49 PM   #5
Jack-O-Lantern
Master Customizer

Yeah I know. But I just wish they had done it the other way around. Can't blame me can ya?
Jack-O-Lantern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2007, 10:08 PM   #6
Martley of 2814

I'll take GL on the screen anyway I can, but using John Stewart makes me want to vomit. It's because of that bloody cartoon, isn't it?
Old 10-20-2007, 10:27 PM   #7
methos
Kyle's Backup Artist

Send a message via MSN to methos Send a message via Skype™ to methos

i'd love a proper live action Green Lantern movie...

i mean, if they can do Fantastic four and Silver Surfer reasonably well, then as long as they've got a kick ass script, then the film would be amazing...

failing that, i just want a kick ass "Corps War" Cartoon spinning off of "The Batman"

M
Old 10-20-2007, 10:41 PM   #8
Maverick_GL

Send a message via MSN to Maverick_GL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martley of 2814 View Post
I'll take GL on the screen anyway I can, but using John Stewart makes me want to vomit. It's because of that bloody cartoon, isn't it?
Probably. I'm really not happy about this. If anything, I would like to see JLA with Hal, and a Green Lantern movie with Hal and John, John being the focal point. Screwing up history for the sake of having a black guy is stupid if you ask me, and unnecessary.

"Weeds. All of them weeds. I am perfection, and I am alone in the garden of the universe." - Cyborg Superman
Maverick_GL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2007, 10:12 AM   #9
Parrylakks
Banned

Send a message via Yahoo to Parrylakks

I'm don't think I want to rant and rave about this here (like I did elsewhere)... instead... I'll just quote myself (and some others) from the other board... basically... this is the discussion, and I'd rather just post it to get my point across rather than having the same conversation over again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeoDB View Post
The only people testing for the role are testing for John Stewart. No chance of Hal or any whitey.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Takk View Post
Thats ####ed up... I no longer support this movie in any way.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth Sinister View Post
John is just as worthy of Hal.
Quote:
No he is not... how can you have a Justice League movie if you replace one of the founding members with a simple supporting character from his comic book series? We can assume Aquaman won't be there either, huh? This the terrible DCAU all over again. Piece of shit Hollywood execs saying a script is good when they don't even know teh history of the characters or organization. I said having Superman and Batman was a bad idea... but this is worse. Watch them throw Wally West in as Flash and then say that Martian Manhunter is from Venus... God... seriously... its all ruined for me now.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bradtisme View Post
Hal's a much better character. Might as well just cast Guy Gardner.
Quote:
Yeah, and while you're at it, give him a crabmask and Kyle's symbol!
Oh wait... they already did that.

... ####ing Hollywood...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth Sinister View Post
Who had his own series, which before "Emerald Twilight", was doing pretty well. And his presence in JLA has been well recieved.

Aquaman is in the film. Barry Allen is the Flash. And how is the DCAU bad? Because it didn't have Hal in it? And why is it bad having the World's Finest team. If they're not in it, then they aren't going with continuity which you just bitched about.
And so what if it isn't 100% faithful to the Silver Age origin? Big deal. There's a Green Lantern in the line-up. Green Lantern is more than Hal Jordan. It's him, Kyle Rayner, Kilowag, Guy Gardner, John Stweart, Arisia, Saavik (sp), Tomar Re, Jack T. Chance, Mogo and many more. Hell, Alan Scott is an honorary member.
Quote:
The DCAU was bad because it didn't follow ANYTHING in the comics. You can't ignore the origins... its pathetic. Who gives a shit about the Silver Age, I didn't mention it except in origin of the JLa which is mentioned in the new JLA series so don't try to play the silver age card. John Stewart had his own series, yes, it was a whopping 18 issues and lost popularity before Emerald Twilight. Why? Because John is only good in small doses, its been a proven fact in the comics since his creation.
Look I have nothing personally against him, I have something against people rewriting things for no reason. I'm willing to bet dollars to donuts that nothing in the JLA films will be referenced to John's origin and if it is, they'll just play it off the way they did in the DCAU which is way off and everything he did in that show that was even remotely cool was blatently stolen from Hal or Kyle... and that is a fact.
John is a bad character choice and the only two reasons that are even possible that he is in there is a) becasue the screenwriter knew absolutely nothing about the JLA outside of the cartoon, or, more likely, b) he's put in there jsut to make the league have a black guy. THAT IS PATHETIC REASON TO USE A CHARACTER AND A TERRIBLE WASTE OF THAT CHARACTER COULD BE USED FOR GIVEN THE PROPER USE which is always a defender of Hal... someone who tries to live up to him... you CAN NOT HAVE JOHN STEWART WITHOUT HAL WITHOUT CHANGING WHO HE IS!!!
And the fact that they are using Barry and not Hal is even more flawed! I mean, WTF?! The fact is that no one in the film industry gives a shit about any characters, nor their origins, they only do things that they think will appeal to the wide audience while taking a big shit on everyone who makes the source material popular enough to make a film about!
I mean seriously... this is the exact same kind of shit that Lionsgate pulled with The Source, and we all know how that turned out.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jer View Post
Obsess much? Lighten up. The DCAU rocked.
Quote:
Originally Posted by NeoDB View Post
While I agree that the DCAU rocked, I think it's reasonable to hold a JLA feature film to a somewhat higher set of expectations than the children's cartoons. Since the 2000 boom, there's been a considerable movement/progress in comic book movies being relatively true to their comic book counterparts (with only one or two films during this time that have retarded the movement, but even they got the funadmental characteristics right).
And "being true to the comic" doesn't necessarily mean they have to take entire storylines, whole character arcs from the comic, and be expected to be wholly mindful to them and adapt them anything close to entirely... there's still a huge amount of creative liberty allotted that even the most jaded comic book fan is probably going to be OK with at the end of the day.
That said... making the first Green Lantern -- a founding member of the JLA -- someone other than who Green Lantern was made to be... it's wrong. A cartoon that's been off the air for about two years now that paints Green Lantern as Hal's supporting character shouldn't even be a factor, and if we need to be so PC in 2007 that we must have "Black Lantern" (and I'm not being racist here, John himself coined the phrase in a 70s issue I'd be happy to scan) in the launchpad JLA then that is just sad and wrong.
Quote:
My feelings exactly... of course mine kind of dribbled out in, admittedly, a fit of fanboy rage... but its that kind of 'we need a black guy' mentality that I am against, its frustrates me to no end. I have nothing against any races either, its just simply a bad excuse that makes for a very bad decision. There are plenty of other black superheroes... use one of them... at least then you could cover your 'we need a black guy' mentality and not screw up a possible franchise's framework for an at least semi decent comic book adaption.
Blah... I'm going to stop now because if I continue I might fall into another fanboy bitch fit.
LOL... kind of a weird post, I know... kinda long winded... not to mention the fact of dragging a convo from one board to the other... but hey... whatever... BTW, NeoDB is Andrew NDB... just FYI... oh, and I'm Takk.
Parrylakks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2007, 10:58 AM   #10
Andrew NDB
Shot Caller

Heh. While we're transposing, here's my reply:

Possibility A) A boardroom of WB executives sits down and decides, for the JLA movie, "All right, we want Green Lantern in the movie." They do some research over the source material, decide that Hal Jordan, the first modern age Green Lantern of the Green Lantern Corps on Earth really doesn't offer much to the JLA movie and shouldn't be in the movie because John Stewart, his African American supporting cast member, who didn't come along until about 17 years later, offers more to the film in question.

Possibility B) A boardroom of WB executives sits down and decides, for the JLA movie, "All right, we want Green Lantern in the movie." They do some research over the source material, decide that since Hal Jordan, the first modern age Green Lantern of the Green Lantern Corps on Earth, isn't black, and because their JLA roster is all white, they need some color. Someone says, "Hey, John Stewart is black, and he was Green Lantern in that cartoon a while back." They decide on John Stewart.

I'm pretty sure it went like possibility B. Fuck them for that. If JLA is a success, expect 50 Cent playing Green Lantern in the Green Lantern movie (with the calibre of actors they're currently testing for the role).

Old 10-21-2007, 12:40 PM   #11
Parrylakks
Banned

If someone like 50 Cent in cast in this movie... I won't even rent it when comes to DVD (which is more than likely where I'll be seeing it, as I refuse to support this farce in theaters).
Old 10-21-2007, 10:07 PM   #12
Andrew NDB
Shot Caller

A number of rappers have already tested for the role. Common and T.I. both have, also Tyrese.
Old 10-22-2007, 01:20 AM   #13
Parrylakks
Banned

With every bit of info I get on this film... its getting closer and closer to me just waiting for it to air on TV.
Old 10-22-2007, 03:52 AM   #14
GLJIMT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew NDB View Post
A number of rappers have already tested for the role. Common and T.I. both have, also Tyrese.
Isnt Tyrese the moron that wrote a John Stewart GL script and then was pitching it around Hollywood with out even bothering to secure licensing rights which WB would not ever in a million years give up for any money to begin with......

WB is the problem here brothers Marvel is self owned there is no corporate jack ass calling shots its all just comic guys running the show at Marvel

DC needs to escape the tangled AOl/Time Warner spider web.

I'll stop now, they've ruined every thing else why stop now -

ruined examples - Richard Pryor in Superman IV, Batman Forever, Batman & Robin, Superman Returns, Steel, Supergirl - The only thing WB seems to do correctly is non DCU stuff like Vertigo and the Alan Moore stuff
II THESSALONIANS 3:10

GLJIMT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2007, 06:29 AM   #15
Maverick_GL

Send a message via MSN to Maverick_GL

I posted this elsewhere, but since we are bringing up other quotes.

Why couldn't they just use Hal Jordan as a founding member of the JLA, then about 1/4-1/2 of the way through, have him be captured. Then John could fill in for the other 3/4-1/2 and prove himself. Thus, setting up both on significant courses to further roles.

"Weeds. All of them weeds. I am perfection, and I am alone in the garden of the universe." - Cyborg Superman
Maverick_GL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2007, 07:11 AM   #16
Andrew NDB
Shot Caller

Quote:
Originally Posted by GLJIMT View Post
Isnt Tyrese the moron that wrote a John Stewart GL script and then was pitching it around Hollywood with out even bothering to secure licensing rights which WB would not ever in a million years give up for any money to begin with......
No, that was some other dude. But I remember the story.
Old 10-22-2007, 04:45 PM   #17
Satyrquaze

Quote:
Originally Posted by GLJIMT View Post

I'll stop now, they've ruined every thing else why stop now -

ruined examples - Richard Pryor in Superman IV, Batman Forever, Batman & Robin, Superman Returns, Steel, Supergirl - The only thing WB seems to do correctly is non DCU stuff like Vertigo and the Alan Moore stuff
Richard Pryor was in Superman III, and Batman Begins was good!
Old 10-22-2007, 06:24 PM   #18
Andrew NDB
Shot Caller

More on Man of Steel (and this is actually really good news, in my book) :

http://forum.newsarama.com/showthread.php?t=133795
Old 10-22-2007, 11:02 PM   #19
Parrylakks
Banned

Will we actually get a good Superman movie? Sounds like I can get excited for at least something.
Old 10-23-2007, 02:43 AM   #20
raynersraider

I guess I just don't understand all the gnashing of teeth over John probably being in the JLA movie.

Let me rephrase that. I understand the reasons behind it, but I don't get what comes off as hostility to the notion. And if the only reason behind it is because John's a black character, well...that's the world we live in. A studio really has to take that into account in this day and age.

I think what I sense is a fear that any GL spinoffs would be John and John only. And I get that.

I'm a huge Kyle fan. I know that WB is probably never going to make a feature film centered around my guy. Maybe that's why I'm not real concerned about it.

On the other hand, I also have a very strong feeling that this thing could very well collapse under its own weight and the film never gets made. Batman vs. Superman seemed like a sure thing about 5 years ago...so much that late night talk show hosts were making jokes about it in anticipation of it. Then...poof. We got that goofy Catwoman movie instead. And the logistics behind a JLA movie would be about 10 times tougher than Bats/Supes.

My point...geeze, I don't know if I have one, really.
Old 10-23-2007, 05:29 AM   #21
Parrylakks
Banned

Pointless posts are always the best... and yes, my biggest problem with John in the JLA movie is that it pretty much means any GL film that spawns from it will be John centric and that is SOOOOOOO wrong. Of course, if this is supposed to be somewhat of a League origin film, then it really pisses me off. Flat out... won't support it in any way shape or form... as of right now, I am in that position. If the storyline comes out and its not... then all of my complaints about the film will be altered... not removed, but altered.
Old 10-23-2007, 06:50 AM   #22
Andrew NDB
Shot Caller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parrylakks View Post
and yes, my biggest problem with John in the JLA movie is that it pretty much means any GL film that spawns from it will be John centric
Now, we don't know that. The same way that the Batman and Superman in this movie will have nothing to do with the Nolan/Singer films.

Though you never know... "Green Lantern: The Motion Picture" as some kind of sequel to Steel with Shaq-Fu makes me want to find a metal wall to bash my head against.
Old 10-23-2007, 08:41 AM   #23
Parrylakks
Banned

Old 10-23-2007, 10:48 AM   #24
GLJIMT

The whole point of this movie is to "launch" the other superhero movies what WB is failing to realize is that the JLA is not Xmen - I'm leaning more and more in Parrylakks direction with this whole mess.
II THESSALONIANS 3:10

GLJIMT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2007, 10:58 PM   #25
Parrylakks
Banned

Don't worry too much... you'll find yourself agreeing with my point of view more and more.