The Green Lantern Corps Message Board

Go Back   The Green Lantern Corps Message Board > Green Lanternverse > Green Lantern on the Screen
FLASHCHAT

GL in Animation

Old 08-06-2007, 06:03 PM   #1
Parrylakks
Banned

Send a message via Yahoo to Parrylakks
Default NEW FRONTIER preview video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_-Hb_d5Qnts

I hear by take back all negative things I've said about this film.
My doubts no longer exist. This thing looks absolutely amazing!
I CAN'T WAIT FOR NEXT YEAR!!!
Parrylakks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2007, 07:07 PM   #2
raynersraider

It would have been nice to hear the voices of the characters, particularly Sisto as Bats.

I'm not nearly as jazzed about it as a lot of people, but I'll probably get it when it comes out.
Old 08-06-2007, 07:48 PM   #3
TorchBearer2814
Corps Honor Guard

this looks really good...i cant wait...
Old 08-07-2007, 12:30 AM   #4
genesistorm

Holy shit!! Looks amazing.. This can't come out soon enough..
Old 08-07-2007, 03:19 AM   #5
Maverick_GL

Send a message via MSN to Maverick_GL

I'll be picking this up for sure. Looks pretty cool.
Maverick_GL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2007, 04:41 AM   #6
glkilowog

Very nice. But I'll hold back all excitement til I see the finished product.
Old 08-08-2007, 12:30 AM   #7
Lord Malvolio
Corps Honor Guard

Send a message via Yahoo to Lord Malvolio

This looks great! Can't wait to see Hal's story unfold!

Lord Malvolio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2007, 12:49 AM   #8
Brother Eye
Green Lantern Initiate

Default Justice League: The New Frontier

Just saw this on you tube. Really suprised with the choice for the voice of Green Lantern which is David Boreanaz. I'm starting to think that the best we are going to get of Superhero movies are going to be these animated films.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_-Hb_d5Qnts
Old 08-08-2007, 01:04 AM   #9
Parrylakks
Banned

David Boreanez will be cool... I listened to some of his audio interviews about Angel, and he has the voice. I never watched Buffy or Angel, so I had no idea what he sounded like. All I had to go on was The Crow 4, that I saw only once while sick last year. LOL
Old 08-08-2007, 01:04 AM   #10
Topaz Twilight

Meh, I'm not all that impressed.
Old 08-08-2007, 01:05 AM   #11
Parrylakks
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brother Eye View Post
BTW, thats an identical link to the one I posted in the first post of the thread.
Old 08-08-2007, 01:31 AM   #12
GLJIMT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parrylakks View Post
BTW, thats an identical link to the one I posted in the first post of the thread.
It was a dif thread, I merged them. But mine as well have it on this page, don't see why not anyway.
II THESSALONIANS 3:10

GLJIMT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2007, 03:49 AM   #13
The Hulkster

Glad you guys enjoyed it.

Most of you that is.
Old 08-08-2007, 07:02 AM   #14
Parrylakks
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by GLJIMT View Post
It was a dif thread, I merged them. But mine as well have it on this page, don't see why not anyway.
Ah, my bad.
Old 08-08-2007, 07:04 AM   #15
Parrylakks
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by GC1999 View Post
Glad you guys enjoyed it.

Most of you that is.
Yes we did! And its good to see you back... sorry I doubted you.
Old 08-09-2007, 05:25 AM   #16
Jack T. Chance
Really knows where his towel is!

Location: The Planet Garnet, AKA "Hellhole", Space Sector 0017
Thumbs up

Looks cool, but man, it took FOREVER to download the video a couple nights ago. WAY longer than the typical YouTube video that clocks in at only 3 minutes in length. Let's hope that's a GOOD sign... hopefully this movie does well on DVD, so that DC will continue making their animated movies. In fact, let's hope it does SO well, that we get a SERIES of Green Lantern movies out of them, with larger budgets and thus, correspondingly longer run times!

And let us also hope that DC's animated movies are MUCH better than Marvel's. After reading The Ultimates and loving the series, I couldn't believe how disappointingly watered-down and kiddified the Ultimate Avengers movies were! They stripped out EVERYTHING that makes The Ultimates cool, and we were left with a couple of mediocre Avengers movies! Iron Man was OK, but it could've been a lot better. Let's hope the live-action movie makes up for the animated one's shortcomings.

So, wonder what stories DC will adapt next, after The New Frontier and Teen Titans: The Judas Contract?

I've been thinking over various Green Lantern stories, and trying to decide which ones I'd like to see animated. I'd love to see them do Ganthet's Tale, but that's because I'm a big science fiction geek, so I just loved having a GL graphic novel written by Larry Niven! And the artwork of Mr. John Byrne didn't hurt, either!

Of course, I'd only want to see it done if they'd make the artwork look JUST like Byrne's inimitable style!

Other than that... I think some variation on Emerald Dawn would be awesome. Maybe take the 2 Emerald Dawn minis and combine them into one movie giving the origins for both Hal and Sinestro, or something.

And while I'd LOVE to see DC adapt some of the better Elseworlds tales (JLA: Secret Society of Superheros and Batman: Gotham by Gaslight come immediately to mind), I don't know if the DVD buying public is quite ready for the Elseworlds goodness just yet. I'd also love to see an animated movie of Camelot 3000, but again, it'd have to actually LOOK like Brian Bolland's art, and they'd have to make it longer than 70 minutes, so they could adapt the WHOLE story. Again, don't know how successful that'd be, because Camelot 3000, while one of the best comic stories of the '80s, doesn't get anywhere near the attention or acclaim that's been heaped upon Watchmen.
Old 08-09-2007, 03:30 PM   #17
Big Daddy Dave Skywalker
Moisture Farmer

I've had really high hopes for this movie, and after seeing it on Utube, my hopes are still just as high. I really think this one will be the best of the first three animated DVDs they do, in no small part because Darwin Cooke is heavily involved. Overall, (IMO) I think it's the best story of the three. It was my favorite mini series the year it came out (better than Identity Crisis ended up being), and the art is BEAUTIFUL. Plus, at it's heart, it's a Hal Jordan coming of age story. How could this NOT rock???

I know some of the smaller subplots will have to be pushed aside to get the meat of the story, but I'm looking forward to all the little nods and wink winks that will surely be in New Frontier. I want to see them bring to life characters like Barry Allen, King Farady, the Challengers, the Suicide Squad, the Losers and others. They just better not amp up Bats, Supes, or WWs roles any more than what was in the comic! If other characters get shorted for story needs, fine. But don't do it to expand those three roles! They're all getting their own solo DVDs next year, and this should be a story about Hal Jordan and his silver age contemporaries. Those three tend to dominate stories they're in by their very nature, so that's really my ONLY concern about the whole project.

Anyway, hopes are high on this one. This COULD be the animated classic we'll all be discussing ten years from now.
Old 08-09-2007, 06:34 PM   #18
HalFingJordan

Not bad at all.
Old 08-09-2007, 07:00 PM   #19
Mister Ed
Horse of a Different Color

I still don't understand why they hamstrung themselves with the ridiculously short (70 minutes) run length. Or has that changed? Another 20 minutes would make a world of difference in doing justice to some of the subplots, methinks.
Old 08-09-2007, 07:38 PM   #20
Nived

Animation isn't cheap. Its not a simple matter of 20 minutes its a matter of thousands of dollars. They had a budget and they did what they could with it.
Old 08-09-2007, 08:03 PM   #21
Mister Ed
Horse of a Different Color

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nived View Post
Animation isn't cheap. Its not a simple matter of 20 minutes its a matter of thousands of dollars. They had a budget and they did what they could with it.
I'm aware that animation isn't cheap. However, no kind of movie making is cheap (well, very few instances of GOOD moviemaking, anyway), yet most moviemakers still manage to have around 90 minutes minimum, don't they? I'll reserve judgement until I see it, of course, but given the sheer volume of wonderful stuff that was in the comic, I have a hard time believing that, at 70 minutes, I won't come away feeling like they could have done better.

If they can do the material justice in that short timeframe, more power to them, and I will be suitably impressed. (And frankly, this IS what I hope for.)

However, if they CAN'T do the material justice in the time they have limited themselves to, and they can't afford the time it would require to do so, I'd just as soon they had left it alone.
Old 08-09-2007, 11:21 PM   #22
Parrylakks
Banned

90 minutes, I would think, would be more acceptable, though more expensive, and much more entertaining for us fans who jsut want to watch this over and over again.
Old 08-10-2007, 05:52 AM   #23
Topaz Twilight

Nobody is going to buy this.
Old 08-10-2007, 06:04 AM   #24
Jack T. Chance
Really knows where his towel is!

Location: The Planet Garnet, AKA "Hellhole", Space Sector 0017
Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topaz Twilight View Post
Nobody is going to buy this.
Well then, just call me Nobody!
Old 08-10-2007, 07:20 AM   #25
Parrylakks
Banned

Yeah, there are a lot of nobody's on this board and around the world, then.