The Green Lantern Corps Message Board

Go Back   The Green Lantern Corps Message Board > Green Lanternverse > Green Lantern on the Screen
FLASHCHAT

GL in Animation

Old 09-03-2007, 05:54 PM   #1
Donsmith1974

Default Who wants an animated series?

Hi there:

I have been re-watching "JLU" and I was thinking "How awesome would this be if these guys would do a Green Lantern animated series?"

Now I know that this won't happen thanks to "The Batman" series having Hal Jordan, but to me it would be awesome!

Here is how I would play it out, basically Hal Jordan was in the series, in fact he was one of the original eight members of the "Justice League". Both he and John were on the team.

However, because of some reason or another, his existence was erased from the series and the first episode of the "Hal Jordan" series is about him becoming re-acquainted with the league and basically turn it into a solo series for him.

As for who would voice him, I would like to see Scott Patterson (Luke from "Gilmore Girls") or Adam Baldwin voice him.

Anyway, this is me saying "What if?" and having fun.

See ya,
Don
Old 09-04-2007, 03:16 AM   #2
ComicGeek
Corps Honor Guard

It would be cool to start a Bruce Timm Lantern cartoon out right in Emerald Twilight. Either Hal or John (don't matter which) has become Parrallax and taken out the Guardians and Ganthet comes in the first episode bringing a ring to Kyle in an alley.

Then the first few episodes are about Kyle getting his footing then having a showdown with Johnallax or Hallax.
Don't think this kind of pain will ever heal
I gave to you my life and love for years
Look deep in my eyes, my pain do you feel
All I ever wanted was to be loved
Waiting on dad to take me up above"
ComicGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2007, 03:56 AM   #3
GLJIMT

Quote:
Originally Posted by ComicGeek View Post
It would be cool to start a Bruce Timm Lantern cartoon out right in Emerald Twilight. Either Hal or John (don't matter which) has become Parrallax and taken out the Guardians and Ganthet comes in the first episode bringing a ring to Kyle in an alley.

Then the first few episodes are about Kyle getting his footing then having a showdown with Johnallax or Hallax.
Yes it does matter, Hal was Parallax..... I am way sick of them changing everything for the toons
II THESSALONIANS 3:10

GLJIMT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2007, 04:17 AM   #4
Nived

You know, other might disagree with me, but if there was a Green Lantern series I'd hope for a cold start.

Just like how Batman: The Animated Series didn't start with Batman's origin, it just jumped right in... just start the Green Lantern series, SHOW the people what a Green Lantern is, not tell them. Have it Corps focused, focus on what makes the GLs different from other heroes.
Old 09-06-2007, 05:54 AM   #5
bOB spelled backwards
Voice of Guy Gardner

Location: in yer pool with a BIG rubber duck while yer away from home.

I'd love a GL animated series, but hope they don't leave out Guy ... Plus, an appearance by Green Arrow would rock too ...
Old 09-06-2007, 06:02 AM   #6
The Hulkster

I think a Green Lantern series might be coming sooner than you think, brother.
Old 09-06-2007, 07:14 AM   #7
bOB spelled backwards
Voice of Guy Gardner

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by GC1999 View Post
I think a Green Lantern series might be coming sooner than you think.
I really hope yer right about this ... The Corps have such a rich history that I'm sure stories would be easy to animate ... They wouldn't even hafta come up with many new stories ... Simply turning the various comics into cartoons would last for several years worth of episodes ... Ya know ???
Old 09-06-2007, 10:52 AM   #8
GLJIMT

Quote:
OMG He dropped a bomb !!!
II THESSALONIANS 3:10

GLJIMT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2007, 02:11 PM   #9
Mister Ed
Horse of a Different Color

I'd happily watch a GL animated series. However, with my luck, it would be only available on cable, which I don't get.
Old 09-06-2007, 04:05 PM   #10
Grundy
Green Lantern

A Green Lantern show would be great if done right and they stay true to the comics.
Old 09-06-2007, 08:56 PM   #11
ComicGeek
Corps Honor Guard

why does a cartoon need to stay true to the comics? Do the comics need to stay true to the cartoons ever?
Don't think this kind of pain will ever heal
I gave to you my life and love for years
Look deep in my eyes, my pain do you feel
All I ever wanted was to be loved
Waiting on dad to take me up above"
ComicGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2007, 12:50 AM   #12
Grundy
Green Lantern

Quote:
Originally Posted by ComicGeek View Post
why does a cartoon need to stay true to the comics? Do the comics need to stay true to the cartoons ever?
If the comic is based on a cartoon then yea it should. All I'm saying is there is a reason GL is been around so long and it's because of the stories. Whenever you go from one media to another you need to stay as true as you can to the original material. Like the Spiderman movies I would say have stayed true to the comics that doesn't mean word for word panel for panel adaptions but the spirit of the characters need to be there. I believe thats what a Green Lantern Corps cartoon would need to be a sucess.
Old 09-07-2007, 01:33 AM   #13
Tons T
Alpha-Lantern

I would like the GL Animated to be much like the ongoing GLC comics. Start of with Alien GLs and then slowly transition its focus on Earth GLs - Hal, kyle, John and Guy, but maybe thats the problem, who will be the first earth GL eeheh, but i definitely want it tobe Hal, but i do want to see all GL take the spotlight in this series hehe
Old 09-07-2007, 02:14 AM   #14
Parrylakks
Banned

Send a message via Yahoo to Parrylakks

You can't have Emerald Twilight in a "Bruce Timm universe" anyway. Kyle was the first GL of Earth, getting the ring for Abin Sur in an episode of Superman TAS. He was later featured in JLU, so that option is really a non option anyway. Now with "the Batman universe" Hal Jordan is the GL of earth in the JLA, so they could run off of the Batman and Legion of Superheroes universe and animation style and make a GL animated series, but I, personally, would prefer it to be a GLC series, not a strictly GL series, and that would mean that you could start off with ET, anyway, since it is the "end" of the GLC for many years.
Parrylakks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2007, 08:03 AM   #15
Parrylakks
Banned

Quote:
We will accept this as an official announcement.
Old 09-08-2007, 03:08 AM   #16
Donsmith1974

Hi there:

>>You can't have Emerald Twilight in a "Bruce Timm universe" anyway. Kyle was the first GL of Earth, getting the ring for Abin Sur in an episode of Superman TAS. He was later featured in JLU, so that option is really a non option anyway. Now with "the Batman universe" Hal Jordan is the GL of earth in the JLA, so they could run off of the Batman and Legion of Superheroes universe and animation style and make a GL animated series, but I, personally, would prefer it to be a GLC series, not a strictly GL series, and that would mean that you could start off with ET, anyway, since it is the "end" of the GLC for many years.

This is why I said earlier, I say you retcon it and say Hal Jordan was one of the original eight members (the seven plus Jordan) but something happened that forced his existence to be erased.

(Say Jordan was Parallax and as the Spectre he erased his existence as penance) and then the GL series would start having Jordan return as Green Lantern.

And then boom...by episode two or three everything is back to normal.

Just a thought.
Old 09-09-2007, 11:54 AM   #17
Tons T
Alpha-Lantern

so start with Rebirth, and have some glimpses of ET, then rebuild the corps. Cool with me .. and yes, it would be much better if its like the GLC series, but have some episodes where the earth GLs have the spotlight.. some episodes featuring Hal, some with Kyle or Guy, or John.. or have them all in one episode.. that would work for me... and of course.. if theres gonna be an animated series..i would like their powers to be more like in the comics...unlike in JLU.. John usually throws beams... and its corny.. i want a big emerald boxing glove heheheh
Old 09-09-2007, 12:10 PM   #18
genesistorm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parrylakks View Post
We will accept this as an official announcement.
Let's!
Old 09-09-2007, 06:04 PM   #19
Superlantern
mmmm Beer!

I would like a Glc series starting with hal getting the ring from abin sur, then getting started on hal's training with sinestro, sinestros downfall, and then recruiting others from earth john, guy, Kyle. definitely have kilowog as a large part of the series as well
Superlantern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2007, 12:56 AM   #20
genesistorm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superlantern View Post
I would like a Glc series starting with hal getting the ring from abin sur, then getting started on hal's training with sinestro, sinestros downfall, and then recruiting others from earth john, guy, Kyle. definitely have kilowog as a large part of the series as well
I agree that it should start with Hal!!
Old 09-10-2007, 06:35 AM   #21
Parrylakks
Banned

Quote:
I think thats how it should go. And then you could have Emerald Twilight as like a Season 3 finale that would lead into Kyle being the MC of season 4. LOL... like it would last that long.
Old 09-10-2007, 06:47 AM   #22
Tons T
Alpha-Lantern

aww men, thinking of fitting all earth GLs in the series is a real pain in the @s$... lets just put Sodam Yat as the main GL hahaha. just kidding
Old 09-10-2007, 07:35 AM   #23
Parrylakks
Banned

We could always make a Dragon Lord animated series...
Old 09-11-2007, 03:43 AM   #24
bOB spelled backwards
Voice of Guy Gardner

Cool

Quote:
WOO HOO !!! I AGREE 100% !!! YOU ROCK !!!

Please note ... This is my 100th post here ... I wonder how I'm gonna rank now ...

*bOB crosses fingers*
Old 09-11-2007, 03:55 AM   #25
Nived

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tons T View Post
so start with Rebirth, and have some glimpses of ET, then rebuild the corps. Cool with me .. and yes, it would be much better if its like the GLC series, but have some episodes where the earth GLs have the spotlight.. some episodes featuring Hal, some with Kyle or Guy, or John.. or have them all in one episode.. that would work for me... and of course.. if theres gonna be an animated series..i would like their powers to be more like in the comics...unlike in JLU.. John usually throws beams... and its corny.. i want a big emerald boxing glove heheheh
I'm going to go with Tons here I believe it would be wise to start with Rebirth.

Wait hear me out. Going right to what Geoff Johns said Rebirth is the Green Lantern's "A New Hope". Just like Episode 4 was the first Star Wars effectively cold starting in the middle I think you could do this with Green Lantern.

Picture it, start with the last Green Lantern freeing the 'Greatest' from the Dark Side, then the series continuing onto the rebuilding of the Corps. You could eventually do origin stories... sure but do them like Batman: The Animated Series did (remember the Robin origin two parter?) mainly through flashbacks and character interaction.

Rebirth would be your big Premier movie, Season one would involve Recharge, and Green Lanterns out on the Beat, a few Origin episodes "Emerald Dawn", "Torchbearer", "A Matter of Distance" etc the Lost Lanterns arc. Between Torchbearer and the Lost Lanterns episodes you could pretty much tell the important parts of Emerald Twilight without wallowing in it.

Season two would slowly build up to the Sinestro Corps War (like was done with in the comics) with the big multi-part season finale being the war itself.