The Green Lantern Corps Message Board

Go Back   The Green Lantern Corps Message Board > Green Lanternverse > Sector 0
FLASHCHAT

Sector 0

Old 07-18-2007, 06:52 AM   #26
Parrylakks
Anti-Monitor

Barry Allen will always be the Flash in my eyes... everyone else is just a wannabe. LOL... but that opinion is based on entirely different motives than my opinion in favor of Hal Jordan over all others.
Old 07-18-2007, 06:58 AM   #27
PowerRingE3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cephied Variable View Post
I don't quite get the Barry thing myself. I can see how fans want "their" Flash back, b-but- Barry's death and Wally's subsequent rise to heroism? Was one of the rare instances that the hero death/replacement cycle was done *well*. I can't imagine why anyone would want to mess with it. :P

Oh, Ted. T__T The aftermath of HIS death has been handled so much better than the death itself, I've stopped wanting him alive again. Let him rest for at least ten years (or have Booster pick up a wayward Beetle from the multiverse or something. MISMATCHED BLUE AND GOLD, TRAIPSING THROUGHOUT THE MULTIVERSE. HOW WOULD THAT NOT BE BEAUTIFUL?)
That's what I'm saying...let the heroes rest in peace. I get really mad when one of my favs die but I take it and move on, I actually get more mad when they bring them back, waters the character down.
Old 07-18-2007, 07:02 AM   #28
Andrew NDB
Shot Caller

Send a message via Yahoo to Andrew NDB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parrylakks View Post
Barry Allen will always be the Flash in my eyes... everyone else is just a wannabe. LOL... but that opinion is based on entirely different motives than my opinion in favor of Hal Jordan over all others.
Oh, how many Barry Allen Flash comics do you actually own, Parry?
Andrew NDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2007, 08:42 AM   #29
Parrylakks
Anti-Monitor

I've got the old Hal and Barry Brave and the Bold comics and the 1999 mini... but really I don't own any non-GL appearance DC comics except for Superman: Godfall, Superman/Thundercats, and some big story crossover shot issues (like all of the #0s after Zero Hour and what not)... well and a bunch that Toot sent me in that box, but I don't even know whats in there (the Superman comics I took out of it were actually split between KilowogCK and my brother, Alan).

But no... my love for Barry Allen stems from the Flash pilot episode that was released as a movie on VHS... I used to rent that thing every other week as a kid. I loved it. And still do, as I recently got my hands on the series DVD set.
Old 08-15-2007, 06:53 PM   #30
Lightninbug

bumping for all to see!
Old 08-15-2007, 06:56 PM   #31
HalFingJordan

And I was actually in a good mood when I woke up this morning.
Old 08-15-2007, 08:42 PM   #32
MrBungleGL

The guys a idiot, but I do agree we will see dropping numbers after the corps war if they keep going the way they have been. I love both characters. KYle is easily my favorite, but I still love Hal. He always will be THE green lantern to me.
However Kyle has always had personality. He was always as interesting out of the costume as he was in it...that is a key thing Hal is missing. At the same time Hal has the richest backstory in the history of comics. His downfall made him great. now it's over and he's a GL again. they have to find some way to make him interesting again...and not just make him old and complaining about his back.
Old 08-15-2007, 09:11 PM   #33
Nived

When I first heard about him going back into active service with the Air Force, and then the P.O.W. storyline I thought there'd be a lot of Hal being and doing out of costume without the ring.

That didn't turn out to be the case. Also created an incongruity of Guy being disciplined for taking his ring off durring vacation... but Hal not even getting scolded for not wearing his ring and getting taken out of action for months while on active Corps duty.
Old 08-15-2007, 09:54 PM   #34
genesistorm

I don't know why.. but sth tells me that Platypus doesn't like Hal..
Old 08-15-2007, 09:56 PM   #35
genesistorm

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5-ball View Post
(...)Just like cinnamon toast crunch...I read what I like.
Seriously, though, I agree with you in that, 5-Ball..
Old 11-02-2007, 02:54 PM   #36
Satyrquaze

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raker616 View Post
To me Hal is truly an amazing character considering that the fans loved him so much that even after 10 years of him being dead they still support him. No matter how bad DC has mismanaged his character and the GL mythos they still support him, no matter how many bad GL stories are told they still support him. If so many people can be so loyal for all of these years and still love a character and mythos that has been pissed on more than one, there must be something to why Hal is as popular as he is.
It's not like Hal just fell off the map after 'dying', he showed up every few months in guest spots (usually in Kyle's book) playing the mentor; giving advice and sounding a lot like a Guardian. He even got his own book, which I'll point out sold rather badly.

So, it's not like he was out of the public eye over that 10 years.

I have to agree with about 100% of what Platypus has to say. Hell, I've said a lot of it myself before. But, I agree with Parrylakks when he said that it's about personality. I like Hal, I really do, my main complaint about him is that he doesn't have a lot of personality and he's nearly infallible.

How is it that a guy who has a limited imagination at best is the greatest at using an item that is only limited only by his imagination?

Thats why Kyle is my favorite, He was the GL of my generation. He had personality, and a comparable willpower. He had a wealth of imagination. He was an artist. I think some of his early iconic moments involve Hal, but they also involve Major Force, Mongul, and in DC One million.
Old 11-02-2007, 03:47 PM   #37
PowerRingE3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Satyrquaze View Post
How is it that a guy who has a limited imagination at best is the greatest at using an item that is only limited only by his imagination?
but ya got to remember, the ring don't run off imagination, It runs off willpower.
Old 11-02-2007, 03:50 PM   #38
Satyrquaze

Quote:
Originally Posted by PowerRingE3 View Post
but ya got to remember, the ring don't run off imagination, It runs off willpower.
Sure, but being somewhat creative helps out a lot.
Old 11-02-2007, 03:55 PM   #39
PowerRingE3

I believe that to a point(makin traps, Holding cells,etc) but when the enemy comes, your not gonna make them a giant mona lisa, your gonna blast'em and that don't take much creativity.
Old 11-02-2007, 04:08 PM   #40
Satyrquaze

Quote:
I believe that to a point(makin traps, Holding cells,etc) but when the enemy comes, your not gonna make them a giant mona lisa, your gonna blast'em and that don't take much creativity.
Having a lot of gas doesn't make you a good driver.
Old 11-02-2007, 04:22 PM   #41
PowerRingE3

Quote:
Having a lot of gas doesn't make you a good driver.
lets just call it a combo of both
Old 11-02-2007, 04:24 PM   #42
Satyrquaze

Quote:
lets just call it a combo of both
We can go with that.
Old 11-03-2007, 04:14 AM   #43
Raker616
Corps Honor Guard

That's a big misnomer Hal was the most creative GL with a ring that i've seen he just chooses the most direct way to use his willpower during a fight. Hal could phase, create all sorts of different constructs, and do nearly the impossible with the ring during the 60's and 70's. Too bad I don't have any of those comics anymore so I can't do a great breakdown but i'm sure someone who's read those comics can tell you that Hal was very creative with his ring.
Old 11-03-2007, 04:23 AM   #44
Andrew NDB
Shot Caller

Another post of N.T. Platypus:

My favorite piece of pro-Hal smoke and mirrors, the 'does what needs to be done' speach goes something like this (I'm paraphasing since I don't have my comic collection near me):

"Guy's constructs are all energy. Sparks fly off them.

John's constructs are mechanical. you can actually see the nuts and bolts, and the gears turning.

Kyle's constucts are artistic. They are constantly changing as he re-imagines them.

That's the difference between me and them. I just do what needs to be done."

Pretty.

BUT...

If you take out Guy, John and Kyle all you have is essentially:

"I'm Hal Jordan. I just do what needs to be done"
Old 11-04-2007, 03:25 AM   #45
Kane2814
Weaponer of Qward

Quote:
Sure, but being somewhat creative helps out a lot.
It certainly does and Hal was incredibly creative when it came to overcoming the yellow weakness. That's where his imagination benefitted him more than fancy looking constructs. As much as theyellow weakness was a bit silly, I wish they'd re-emphasize Hal's skills in use of the ring rather than simply pouring on the willpower.

Last edited by Kane2814; 11-04-2007 at 03:29 AM.
Kane2814 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2007, 05:43 AM   #46
Andrew NDB
Shot Caller

Yeah. Even if we must assume that Hal is the "Meat and Potatoes" type of GL (meaning he will just "Do what needs to be done" and nothing more, nothing extravagant), I'd still like to see him exert more creativity with the ring to best solve problems/end fights/save lives.

I mean, the ring is limited only by the imagination/creativity of the bearer, and that is only limited by the willpower. To make the main character in such a universe a guy that isn't creative or ever uses his ring in innovative ways... it's a little silly, and -- and I hate to say it -- strikes me as backwards after the forward momentum of Kyle in this department (though granted, Kyle might be construed as the extreme end of the "Creative" spectrum, maybe even to a fault).
Old 11-14-2007, 03:50 PM   #47
Satyrquaze

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raker616 View Post

That's a big misnomer Hal was the most creative GL with a ring that i've seen he just chooses the most direct way to use his willpower during a fight. Hal could phase, create all sorts of different constructs, and do nearly the impossible with the ring during the 60's and 70's. Too bad I don't have any of those comics anymore so I can't do a great breakdown but i'm sure someone who's read those comics can tell you that Hal was very creative with his ring.
Having read a lot of those stories myself (although I don't have them either) The extent to which they showed how creative Hal was (Pre-Crisis) only ended up showing that the GLC at the time were school children compared to Hal's S.W.A.T. team officer. The majority of the GLC was just retarded by comparison when it came to creativity and tactics. Hal having a modicum of both came off as a creative and tactical genius.

The entire GLC couldn't handle the big nasty threat to the Guardians of the week, but Hal could by himself!

Logicially, that doesn't make a whole lot of sense... you have 3,599 other guys pretty well trained and experienced in using the most powerful weapon in the universe and this n00b from some backwater sector shows up takes control and makes them all look like idiots, mind during all that he never once does anything with the ring that seems terribly surprising looking back on it... mind you the rings had totally different rules back then.
Old 11-15-2007, 05:22 AM   #48
Raker616
Corps Honor Guard

Well just like Inifinite Crisis made the GLC look like a bunch of weak heroes, sometimes some heroes are sacrificed to make other heroes look better that's just how it is in comics.
Old 07-30-2008, 09:37 PM   #49
Achernosis
Blue Entity Host

Geeze this post is on the money......
Achernosis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2008, 11:08 PM   #50
methos
Kyle's Backup Artist

Send a message via MSN to methos Send a message via Skype™ to methos

whoah...

just.. whoah...

i really need to read that when i'm awake and haven't just finished work so i can actually digest it and write back because there are some points i agree with and some i don't...

so i'll leave it for tonight as i've only just got in, and write a major post back tomorrow

M