The Green Lantern Corps Message Board

Go Back   The Green Lantern Corps Message Board > Green Lanternverse > Other Comics
FLASHCHAT

Miscellaneous GL Comics

Old 06-24-2018, 03:55 PM   #1
Ωmega Man
Guardian of the Universe

Question Your DC Pull List?

With the current shape of the DCU I was just wondering what the remainder of us still posting here were reading from DC? I know my pull list is surprisingly pretty varied with my wife and kid both reading comics as well. For now though I'm just interested in stuff tied to DC and looking for a recommendation or two. I read more stuff in the household and the wife and kid also read some of my stuff. Here's what everyone is reading though:

Me: HJ&theGLC, the Flash, Aquaman, Justice League, DAMAGE, Sideways, Hawkman, Doomsday Clock, the Terrifics, and soon the new Titans series.

My wife: Batman, soon the new Catwoman, Silencer, Mister Miracle, Super Sons, Suicide Squad, Mera, and Justice League.

My son: DAMAGE [his new favorite], Justice League, Super Sons, and Teen Titans

So in the household a total of 18 comics some of which are still twice monthly. And by the end of Doomsday Clock hopefully I'll have new volumes of JSA and the Legion of Superheroes in my hands as well.

What's everybody else checking out? Or is everybody just here to bitch about stuff and not actually read anything LOL

- Ω
Old 06-24-2018, 08:59 PM   #2
Michael Heide
Heide Finition

In single issues: Action Comics, Death Bed, Justice League, Man of Steel, Mister Miracle, Superman.

In trades:
All-Star Batman, Batman, Flash, Green Arrow, Hal and the GLC, Justice League of America, Teen Titans, all of the Young Animal books.
Michael Heide is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2018, 09:05 PM   #3
Space Cop
The Dandy

I read everything with GL in it and every book starring Superman, Batman, or Wonder Woman (but not the bat family books). For DC, I think it's currently

Action
Aquaman
Batman
Detective
GLs
Hal Jordan atGLC
Harley Quinn
Injustice
Justice League
Suicide Squad
Superman
Teen Titans
Wonder Woman

While they're going, I'm reading The Brave and the Bold, Man of Steel and Trinity.
Most of my books are DC. I currently read no Marvel books (except Powers when it comes out), but some Archie, IDW, and Dynamite titles.
I read based on the characters I like. The creative team doesn't really have an impact on what I follow unless I get so fed up with it that I really want to quit (and with GL that doesn't apply).
Old 06-24-2018, 10:55 PM   #4
Big Daddy Dave Skywalker
Moisture Farmer

Now that Gerard Way's Doom Patrol died with a whimper, for the first time since 1985 I don't have a single regular title I collect in single issue form. I've never had that before, but my interest in the hobby has been on the decline since 2011.

When the JSA title launches I'll be back for that.

When the next Green Lantern relaunch happens I'll check that out.

Other titles I will buy if/when they come back are Swamp Thing, Spectre, Doom Patrol, and Deadman.

The remaining titles I buy in trade form are Saga, and...man, I think that's it.
Big Daddy Dave Skywalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2018, 04:34 AM   #5
Big Blue Lantern
Corps Honor Guard

I've enjoyed the Action/Superman Rebirth titles and both GL titles quite a bit. I was lukewarm to the first couple of JL arcs. I've spot-read some Batman books and they haven't been bad. I'm still digging Injustice as well.
Fear the banners and the Wildcat bite!
Big Blue Lantern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2018, 02:15 PM   #6
buffalorock
Manhunter Repairman

Since Rebirth, I've tried to streamline my cape stuff, but I tend to pick up random issues and stay pretty loyal.

Hal Jordan/GLC
Green Lanterns
The Flash
Batman

Green Arrow Trades
I've considered getting the Aquaman trades if I find them cheap, but have not started yet.
Vertigo hasn't been doing it for me lately. I found some number ones for a buck and couldn't get involved.

I usually get event books (rarely tie-ins) and I'm probably an anomaly in that I like miniseries.

Metal, Bug!, No Justice, Man of Steel, etc. . .

I picked up the first issue of each of the New Age of Heroes, some I liked, most I didn't. No subscriptions for me there either. I thought I would get into The Terrifics, but they based it around a character and premise I am unfamiliar with, so it was a no for me.
buffalorock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2018, 07:57 PM   #7
Ωmega Man
Guardian of the Universe

Terrifics is good because of what they're doing with the Multiverse and tying in more of Alan Moore's works into the Multiverse like his ABC comics universe with Tom Strong and Co. I'd lose my shit if we ever got around to seeing the DCU crossover with a universe like Astro City.

I was actually shocked at how good Sideways and DAMAGE were. And they just get better the more it dives into the characters. You know how in the DC/Marvel crossovers how you never actually see Hulk outclass anybody with strength or do anything of note? DC lets Damage cut loose and does some pretty damn impressive stuff in the first several issues. The latest he's taking on both Gorilla Grodd as well as Poison Ivy after the two come to an agreement on how to rule the world and co-exist. Damage's battle with the Suicide Squad and then immediately after facing off against Wonder Woman was insane as well and I'm pretty sure Damage managed to do something that's never been done when it comes to facing WW. And Grodd too now that I think about it LOL

- Ω
Old 06-25-2018, 08:28 PM   #8
Michael Heide
Heide Finition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ωmega Man View Post
Terrifics is good because of what they're doing with the Multiverse and tying in more of Alan Moore's works into the Multiverse like his ABC comics universe with Tom Strong and Co.
That's precisely why I don't read Terrifics.
Old 06-25-2018, 09:35 PM   #9
Ωmega Man
Guardian of the Universe

If it was being written by somebody other than Jeff Lemire I might be on your side of the fence... but his Animal Man was one of the saving graces of the New52, and I was also a big fan of his JL United series. His Black Hammer related stuff is also really good from Dark Horse.

And I'm also a mark for anything with Metamorpho. Metamorpho changing into Nth metal?! That blew my mind...

- Ω
Old 06-26-2018, 06:18 AM   #10
Michael Heide
Heide Finition

Oh, I like Lemire. But bad enough that DC is digging up Watchmen at every opportunity. Now they're dragging Tom Strong and Promethea into it without even telling Chris Sprouse or JH Williams III? That's too far.
Old 06-26-2018, 05:07 PM   #11
Big Daddy Dave Skywalker
Moisture Farmer

Yeah what's with DC trying to mine every panel that Alan Moore ever did for the company? Aren't they capable of moving on and creating something new?

Ironic that as that is Moore's complaint, he made his career out of rehashing existing properties himself. All of the things DC is using of Moore's work, he lifted from others.
Old 06-27-2018, 12:27 PM   #12
buffalorock
Manhunter Repairman

I forget that I am reading Mister Miracle as well, which has been pretty good. Not King's best work, but I probably enjoy it more than his Batman.
Old 06-27-2018, 12:50 PM   #13
Big Daddy Dave Skywalker
Moisture Farmer

Mister Miracle looks pretty good. I'm waiting for it to finish, then I plan on getting the hardcover for it.
Old 06-27-2018, 08:25 PM   #14
Michael Heide
Heide Finition

Quote:
Originally Posted by buffalorock View Post
I forget that I am reading Mister Miracle as well, which has been pretty good. Not King's best work, but I probably enjoy it more than his Batman.
His Batman is great, but every single person is slightly out of character.
Old 06-27-2018, 09:34 PM   #15
"Chosen"
NOT his black friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Heide View Post
You're the first person I've seen say this.

For me it's a pain to read, the dialog isn't normal and the repeated text is annoying.

Bat and Cat...

Batman saying.. "..break your damn back.." for an entire issue.

And the way he wrote Booster Gold..
"Chosen" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2018, 01:00 AM   #16
Ωmega Man
Guardian of the Universe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Daddy Dave Skywalker View Post
Mister Miracle looks pretty good. I'm waiting for it to finish, then I plan on getting the hardcover for it.
My wife is a blooming New Gods fan and loves the current Mister Miracle series. Particularly Big Barda.

I've never been the type of fan to get attached to something and then get ticked when it becomes super mainstream or integrated into mainstream continuity. I wonder how fans of Quality and Charlton first reacted when their heroes started showing up in the DCU?

The DCU would be a better place with characters from Tom Strong and the rest of the ABC universe to kinda expand on the other themes we've seen time and again. I'd honestly like to see Astro City become part of the multiverse. Maybe it can be a comic or tv show in the regular DCU kinda like how the golden age characters were comic books in the mainstream silver age stories before showing up for real on another Earth.

If I were DC I'd try and buy out Hellboy and bring him into the DCU [loved him in Injustice 2], as well as a few other more indy characters. Imagine how sweet it would be to see Witchblade on the Justice League Dark!?!

- Ω
Old 06-28-2018, 01:16 AM   #17
Space Cop
The Dandy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ωmega Man View Post
...If I were DC I'd try and buy out Hellboy and bring him into the DCU [loved him in Injustice 2], as well as a few other more indy characters. Imagine how sweet it would be to see Witchblade on the Justice League Dark!?!

I'm a Hellboy fan and a DC guy, but I don't want that. A non-canon crossover (especially a JL Dark one) could be fun, but Hellboy's universe is too specific in its take on things like magic and Hell to mix with DC's continuity.
Old 06-28-2018, 01:27 AM   #18
Ωmega Man
Guardian of the Universe

I might tweak some stuff here and there, but THIS is where I'd want the focus.

- Ω
Old 06-28-2018, 01:33 AM   #19
Space Cop
The Dandy

Mignola does a pretty good Batman, so that would be a natural mix too.
Old 06-28-2018, 01:44 PM   #20
buffalorock
Manhunter Repairman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Heide View Post
Don't get me wrong, I enjoy it for the most part. It has been a struggle to decide to keep pulling it. I am a big fan of King's other works but this one has been the hardest to say its great without any caveats.

The dialog stuff doesn't bother me that much, its just I would rather have a mystery book than what we've been getting.

There have been plenty of great single issues and mini arcs, but most have been dragged down by something

King should be ashamed of that Booster Gold arc, though the wedding could actually be great.
Old 06-28-2018, 08:39 PM   #21
Michael Heide
Heide Finition

His Kyle Rayner prayed the rosary in Spanish.
His Riddler kills innocent children to make Joker laugh.
His Victor Mancha is a junkie - and has been during his time with the Runaways.
There's something wrong with how Batman treats his Robins, but I can't place my finger on it.
Yeah, and then there's "Bat and Cat". Have they ever done this before at all? Just once?

And yet I still love all of his stories.
Old 06-29-2018, 01:58 PM   #22
Big Daddy Dave Skywalker
Moisture Farmer

Any thoughts on the new Hawkman series? Is it close to the golden age revamp version Geoff Johns used in the JSA and his own series? That one was always by far my preferred verson of Hawkman, the Khufu/Carter Hall take. Kind of curious about the new title.
Old 06-29-2018, 03:53 PM   #23
Michael Heide
Heide Finition

I only read the Metal tie-in. Hawkman Found. Despite Hitch's art, I found it kinda boring. And I'm not the biggest Venditti fan either, so...
Old 06-29-2018, 11:43 PM   #24
Ωmega Man
Guardian of the Universe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Daddy Dave Skywalker View Post
Any thoughts on the new Hawkman series? Is it close to the golden age revamp version Geoff Johns used in the JSA and his own series? That one was always by far my preferred verson of Hawkman, the Khufu/Carter Hall take. Kind of curious about the new title.
I loved the first issue. I'm anxious to see where Robert V. takes the story. He also writes DAMAGE and IMHO when he's focusing more on an individual hero and not a team his execution is way more on point. For a few spoilers I made a Hawkman thread because the new status quo is f***ing bananas. I think you'll dig it.

Its like somebody took the Geoff Johns version of the character and added another layer and a bit more mystery. The art is give and take though. When Hitch is on his game he's a good artist. When the main character almost looks like a different person on page 8 than page 2 and it isn't Batman pulling a Matches Malone... it's a problem. I will say the art in this #1 issue is the best I've seen of his work. And that big reveal/splash page after Carter visits >>>Madame Xanadu<<< !?!

- Ω