10 Reasons Why Ryan Reynolds Was The Right Choice To Play Hal

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 10 Reasons Why Ryan Reynolds Was The Right Choice To Play Hal

1. He looks like Hal (at least, a young Hal, which makes sense for a movie that includes the origin story).

2. Even a straight man can see he has the build to portay a "super hero."

3. He's well known, but has yet to have a defining role.

4. Retort to the "he's Van Wilder" argument. In Dead Poet's Society, did anyone see Robin Williams as "Mork from Ork"? In Philadelphia, did anyone see Tom Hanks as the guy from Bosom Buddies? Give Ryan a chance to prove himself.

5. He'll draw in an audience, including FEMALES (wouldn't you like to be able to take a girl to the movie?)

6. He's not Jack Black.

7. He seems to have taken a sincere interest in the source material.

8. Fanboy favorite Nathan Fillon looks nothing like Hal.

9. Would you have preferred Justin Timberlake?

10. Blah, blah, blah... SHOW ME SOME CGI CONSTRUCTS!!!!

Ryan Reynolds is to Green Lantern what Seth Rogen is to Green Hornet.

Comment

Originally posted by myuserid View Post
      Ryan Reynolds is to Green Lantern what Seth Rogen is to Green Hornet.
      Thanks for the response, Mr. "Blithely Dismisses Anything He Disagrees With As If He Somehow Possesses Superior Opinions Despite His Odd Taste For Lame Comic Strips He Uses As His Signature." (A bit wordy, I know, but on point)

Comment

Good points. Ryan does have the title of sexiest man alive so that will definately draw in some viewers.
        Green Lantern's Light!

https://twitter.com/CeltiC527

Comment

Originally posted by LanternAlgae View Post
          Them's fightin' words.

Comment

I get the loyalty some have to Fillion, but he was simply way too old to start to play Hal in an origin film. Even if he did look more like Hal, it would still be irrelevant now. Some used to say how Dennis Quaid could have been a good Hal too, or Catherine Bell a good Wonder Woman, but again at this point, age is a big factor when you're trying to start a franchise. It is the same reason those who supported Jon Hamm for Superman were not being realistic either. An actor or actress 40 + or pushing 40 is not going to get a gig like that, unless the movie was specifically written for the character to be much older than they normally appear in continuity.
            "My mind is deluged with thoughts of Heaven and Hell,
            Crime and Punishment, Damnation and Redemption. Hal
            Jordan... And The Spectre.

I'm dead, yet I live. I have no identity. Yet I know
            who I am. And once again I've been given power enough
            to change the world. This time, Lord...
            Let me be worthy."

Comment

Originally posted by Dr. Naysay View Post
              Them's fightin' words.
              sorry them's true words

Comment

Let me preface this by saying that I like Ryan as Hal. With that off my chest, your "reasons" are tremendously weak.
                1. He looks like Hal (at least, a young Hal, which makes sense for a movie that includes the origin story).
                In that he has brown hair and no facial disfigurements. True, but there are hundreds of actors who fit that description. If we dye someone's hair, that number gets even bigger.

2. Even a straight man can see he has the build to portay a "super hero."
                Again, he's athletic. He's not the first one, he won't be the last.

He played Berg for 81 episodes of "Two Guys, a Girl and a Pizza Place". 81 episodes. That's more than Heroes had. That's more than Battlestar Galactica had. It's more than the Wire ever had. 81 episodes? That sure is defining.

4. Retort to the "he's Van Wilder" argument. In Dead Poet's Society, did anyone see Robin Williams as "Mork from Ork"? In Philadelphia, did anyone see Tom Hanks as the guy from Bosom Buddies? Give Ryan a chance to prove himself.
                Hey, I haven't had a chance yet to prove myself. By your logic, that's a reason for me to play Hal Jordan.
                Besides, you completely missed the fact that Ryan has proven himself already with films like "The Nines", "Buried" or "Fireflies in the Garden".

5. He'll draw in an audience, including FEMALES (wouldn't you like to be able to take a girl to the movie?)
                You know who'd get more females into the movie? Robert Pattinson. You know who else'd get more females into the movie? Justin Bieber.
                Can you see the flaw in that logic?

6. He's not Jack Black.
                Right. Neither is Helen Mirren. You know what, let her play Hal, since she's obviously qualified.

Yes, just like Erica Durance.

Debatable. He's not a dead ringer, but neither is Ryan.

No. But that is no reason to go with Ryan.

Why didn't you name the thread "nine reasons" if you can't even think of ten?

In fact, let's play a game.

This is Freddie Prinze Jr.

1. He looks like Hal.
                2. He has the build to portay a "super hero."
                4. Give Freddie a chance to prove himself.
                6. He's not Jack Black.

No, I don't want him to play Hal, but for the sake of this argument, he's just as qualified as Ryan.

Comment

No.
                  Originally posted by Michael Heide View Post

This is Freddie Prinze Jr.

Yes.
                  [center]

Originally posted by W.West
                  DID ANYONE READ THE ARTICLE?!!!!!!

Comment

In fact, let's continue that game:

This is Justin Timberlake

1. He looks like Hal.
                    2. He has the build to portay a "super hero."
                    4. Give Justin a chance to prove himself.
                    6. He's not Jack Black.
                    9. Would you have preferred Justin Timberlake? (technically yes, as this is an infinite loop.)
                    [center]

Originally posted by W.West
                    DID ANYONE READ THE ARTICLE?!!!!!!

Comment

Timberlake was my choice. Dead serious. My gf (who usuall just sits through comic movies for me) was excited when JT was in the rumor mill for the part.

Singing aside he is a good actor. Not great, but good. He has an amazing range he can do and I am quite sure that his name alone would have built up a solid interest in the female demographic of 16-25 & 26-36.

RR is okay but he is over hyped for this genre in my eyes just like Chris Evans. Just because he was in successful comic movies doesn't mean they where successful because of him. That said I await the day I can purchase my IMAX tix for opening day on fandango

http://www.twitter.com/TheOtherMarioC

Comment

Thanks for the response, Mr. "Blithely Dismisses Anything He Disagrees With As If He Somehow Possesses Superior Opinions Despite His Odd Taste For Lame Comic Strips He Uses As His Signature." (A bit wordy, I know, but on point)
                        Forget about him.

I agree with the list.
                        GOING GREEN!

Comment

I dont get why so many people want Nathan Fillon to be Hal.

I dont see him as a good Hal at all...

Comment

he is too old at this point to be a franchise actor.

http://www.twitter.com/TheOtherMarioC

Comment

Ryan Reynolds is a good choice for Hal he is an ok actor, is he going to suck? we can't tell yet we well have to wait and see .

Comment

Working...
                              X