Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

"Green Lantern: Legacy"... a new GL? Say what?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Mister Ed View Post
    ...I always figured that the reason we never had a teen GL before ...
    Well, you could say Arisia was one (and she did get it because of her pedigree). And right now there's a kid GL in Hal Jordan and the GLC.

Comment

Originally posted by Space Cop View Post
      Well, you could say Arisia was one (and she did get it because of her pedigree). And right now there's a kid GL in Hal Jordan and the GLC.
      I guess I meant a teen human GL. I figured that aliens could plausibly be different enough that a teen GL would make sense (and Arisia was actually prepared to be a GL by her family, IIRC, so in that case it makes it even more plausible).

I forgot about the HJ&tGLC one. In fact my recollection of it is still vague at best. I only just remembered that was a thing when you mentioned it.

Comment

Originally posted by Mister Ed View Post
        ...I forgot about the HJ&tGLC one. In fact my recollection of it is still vague at best. I only just remembered that was a thing when you mentioned it.
        Well, she's an alien too. I don't even remember a backstory for her. It's like she just appeared recently.

Comment

I did always imagine a kid lantern when I was younger, and what that would be like. "Go kid, go green powers!" Not sure I'll be reading this comic, but I see no issue with introducing another Green Lantern, as long as it's non-continuity, mind you.

Comment

I always just thought there were some exceptional teens in the world we live in as well as the DCU and sooner or later a teen would get a Lantern's ring in some way. Even if it was getting deputized by a GL short term with a duplicate ring. Tim Drake, pre New52, is exactly the type of teen in the DCU I could see getting a ring.

There's also just plucking one from another Earth in the Multiverse. I think that was the angle I used in an old fanfic. Like the younger twin GL's in the Circle of Fire series, he was a member of the Teen Lantern Corps on his Earth...

~//V\\~

Comment

Well, I'm glad I wasn't the only kid fantasizing about how to become a superhero without growing up.

Comment

Well, I'm glad I wasn't the only kid fantasizing about how to become a superhero without growing up.
                I'm sure most of us who read comics at 8 were imagining the exact same thing. Lol!

Comment

How are kids going to buy comics when adults can't afford them?

Comment

Originally posted by Trey Strain View Post
                    How are kids going to buy comics when adults can't afford them?
                    That is a shame. I remember going to an LCS with my allowance and being able to get multiple comics.

Comment

That is a shame. I remember going to an LCS with my allowance and being able to get multiple comics.
                      And in this case, my understanding was that this wasn't even going to be released as individual issues, but rather in a longer TPB form. So even further out of the price range of a kid browsing the shelves...

Kind of reminds me of the situation with action figures. When I was a kid, I could realistically amass a sizable collection of Star Wars figures using (at least in part) the money I got for doing chores for my parents. Even the smaller Star Wars figures these days are more than $10 a pop, it seems. I don't know what other families pay their kids, but MINE couldn't afford a big collection (assuming they wanted one), and I know I couldn't afford to do what my parents would sometimes do for us, namely buying up the new figs as we found them, and letting us buy them from them.

The only one that seems to be legitimately making action figures for kids these days are Fisher-Price. I've bought a ton of DC Superhero stuff for my kids from the Imaginext line over the years. They sell two-packs for less than a single fig costs in other lines.

Heck, even the retro action figures I see sometimes, with old-school packaging and low-detail molds with minimal articulation, based on various nostalgia-inducing properties, are CLEARLY targeting adults, with prices that rival the newer, more detailed figs.

So yeah, when I saw this new line at first I thought, "Hey! It is great that it seems like DC might finally be courting the younger demographic that they NEED to get interested if they want long-term viability", but content is only part of the equation. Kids need to be able to afford this stuff for it to make a difference.
                      Mister Ed
                      Horse of a Different Color
                      Last edited by Mister Ed; 04-02-2018, 07:54 PM.

Comment

An Asian kid. Let's hope he isn't Asian-American.

Comment

Working...
                        X