Hal Jordan And The Green Lantern Corps: Rebirth #1 *Preview/Spoilers*

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Kane2814 View Post
    Knowing what we know about all these Rebirth issues and what they're for, I thought this did a great job.
    Agreed, it's pretty clear by now that these Rebirth issues are pretty much #0's or #0.5's so if you're expecting something substantial well then your expectations are just out of whack.

That being said I thought this did a great job of cleansing the palate so the speak. I bailed on Venditti's initial run pretty damn quick but the tone established here actually makes me excited to read a GL book by him.

4/5.

Comment

Issue out. Poll up. Review posted.

Comment

This issue did exactly what I hoped it would do, make me even more excited for this series! I've seen some complaints saying not much happened but this issue was just meant so set up what's to come in this series and that's what it did. Hal Jordan is once again a Green Lantern, Sinestro is probably about to merge with Parallax again to get his strength back and they're bringing back Ganthet, Sayd, Carol, and white lantern Kyle. I really can't wait to see Hal Jordan take on the Sinestro Corps in the coming issues. And I'm sure the GLC will come back and join the fight and we'll get a SCW rematch!

Also so glad to have Ethan Van Sciver back. His Hal Jordan is always great!

CeltiC5-27
        Weaponer of Qward
        Last edited by CeltiC5-27; 07-15-2016, 11:21 AM.
        Green Lantern's Light!

https://twitter.com/CeltiC527

Comment

I liked it, which is saying something as I haven't been impressed with the Venditti storylines thus far.

Hal Jordan upped the ante here in terms of mastery over these power rings. He freaking made one! Even Sinestro never did that, having acquired his Fear ring from the Weaponer on Quard.

The process reminded me somewhat what the Guardians did in the Emerald Knights animation movie. How the guardians shaped raw Will in their hands and passed it to each other in succession.

Dayum, that is some bragging rights right there. It also makes Jordan's ring the most dangerous GL ring in the DC universe. There are no outside imposed restrictions on its capabilities.

The only fly in the ointment with the badass concept was what the hell did he finally do with Krona's gauntlet? And where did the actual lantern battery appearing in the last panel come from? Was that the original lantern he had all along in some pocket dimension storage? He never needed to summon it after he left his old ring in his locker when he left the GLC.

It would have tied up loose strings story wise if he somehow transmutated the gauntlets into a battery but you seriously do not see the final fate of the gauntlets.

Comment

Leaving Krona's Gauntlet to be laying around could spell bad news down the road, and we probably haven't seen the last of it.

Him having his own forged ring is probably also a way to distinguish from the other Lanterns. They won't have to call him the "greatest" anymore since an act like that elevates his status already.

Comment

Now Hal, John and even Kyle have done Guardian type things in their past, all we need now is for Guy to do the same and then we will have our, why Earth Lanterns are so central to everything question, answered. They have always hinted at stuff like this since Hal drew power from the Central Power Battery in was it Emerald Dawn against Legion, and the Guardians were shocked. (Even though we have seen hundreds of Lanterns draw from the CPB and saying oaths before, I guess not in the way Hal did it.

Comment

As for the Guantlet I am hoping Hal keeps it around to go Super Saiyan against heavyweights like Parallax enhanced Sinestro, or Darkseid or whatever cosmic level foe comes a knocking, not an everyday tool but for big events like Thor's armor and belt.

Comment

Believe it or not, I actually liked the "Renegade" storyline, but I'm a bit disappointed with this issue. I was hoping that Venditti would explore Hal's transformation and use that ability to find, rescue GL Corps and restore Oa along with his good name. From the looks of it, Hal has gone back to normal by simply taking off the gauntlet. Since the ring was forged from the gauntlet, I hope they explore that a bit further, especially considering that the ring's creation sent tremors along the emotional spectrum.

I really doubt that Hal left Krona's gauntlet lying around, although it makes you wonder where he put it. In the dimensional pocket where his power battery is?.. and speaking of that, did he forge a power battery too? He's shown charging his ring, but it wasn't shown where it came from.

Comment

Yeah, I hope Vendetti doesn't think he's totally just reset everything because there's still a bit that needs explaining...

Comment

Originally posted by EmeraldGladiator View Post
                      Now Hal, John and even Kyle have done Guardian type things in their past, all we need now is for Guy to do the same and then we will have our, why Earth Lanterns are so central to everything question, answered. They have always hinted at stuff like this since Hal drew power from the Central Power Battery in was it Emerald Dawn against Legion, and the Guardians were shocked. (Even though we have seen hundreds of Lanterns draw from the CPB and saying oaths before, I guess not in the way Hal did it.
                      Guy will never get to do something like that again. They're content to shit on him now. "Nobody likes Guy", "Everybody wishes Guy would die",etc seem to permeate through the stories.

Comment

That's because guy sucks.

Comment

I wouldn't say that Guy sucks - it just reinforces that he's not the kind to play nicely with others, which factors into his "coolness" if you're into that kinda thing. I don't think the others really wish that he were dead.

Comment

Originally posted by JohnMc View Post
                            Guy will never get to do something like that again. They're content to shit on him now. "Nobody likes Guy", "Everybody wishes Guy would die",etc seem to permeate through the stories.
                            Yeah, but Guy as a jerk and even a traitor preceded his honor-guard, top-hero run. So for us old Hal fans, Guy's history is like 90%+ unloveable pain in the butt.

Comment

Guy's better off the way he is now than any other version of him. I'm perfectly happy with him as a GL.

Comment

I just got around to reading this issue about an hour ago. Not a bad set up issue. I could go my entire life without the other color lanterns being mentioned again, but the rest was okay. I enjoyed seeing Hal forge his own ring. I'm surprised it hasn't been done before.

For me, the fantastic art was enough to pull an okay story up to 3 stars.

Comment

Working...
                                X