The Green Lantern Corps Message Board

Go Back   The Green Lantern Corps Message Board > Green Lanternverse > Green Lantern on the Screen
FLASHCHAT

GL in Animation

Old 10-18-2009, 09:40 PM   #51
Dr. Naysay
Guardian of the Universe

Quote:
Originally Posted by W.West View Post
The point is that they are supposed to be casting someone that can portray the best possible Sinestro for their film. And if their Sinestro is tall, then why would you cast someone short if you don't have to. Yes of course its not a great reason to say "no" to Haley but your Tom Cruise argument doesn't relate when he's not supposed to be portraying someone who IS tall. Its not a problem, they can make Jackie taller easily, but as many have said he doesn't look the part.
The reason I bring up Tom Cruise is that he is quite possibly the single most recognizable star alive today.

He's been in iconic films for almost thirty years.

Risky Business
Top Gun
The Firm
Rain Man
Days Of Thunder
A Few Good Men
Interview With The Vampire
Magnolia
The Mission Impossible Franchise
The Last Samurai
War Of The Worlds

Some huge huge movies that require huge huge performances....

Did his height EVER EVER EVER take you out of the movie? Would you have EVER EVER EVER guessed that he's only 5'7 if you didn't already know it?

No. You wouldn't. Because these are MOVIES and the people who make them are damn good at what they do.

Sinestros height is NOT in any way linked to his character. He could be a dwarf and it wouldn't change him one iota. His character is all about attitude, drive and intelligence.

The height of the person playing him should be the LAST thing taken into consideration when it comes to casting.
Dr. Naysay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2009, 09:44 PM   #52
Dr. Naysay
Guardian of the Universe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew NDB View Post
I don't know. I'm sure he could more or less pull it off... I'm just not sure about whether or not he can do the aristocratic/high-and-mightyness that surrounds Sinestro. And his voice doesn't quite sound right at all (and yes, I've heard him in interviews outside of Watchmen and yes, I give him credit that he could probably muster some kind of special Sinestro "voice")... he doesn't really annunciate well, his words tend to slur a little... all of this the polar opposite of what you would imagine as Sinestro, who would (should) have perfect, impeccable speech, almost to a fault. The kind of guy that could virtually tear anyone to pieces with words alone. And at a short 5'5" (and Ryan Reynolds at 6'2") they'll have to go to a lot of trouble to make him seem imposing.

My point is, there's better choices out there. Much better choices. I see no compelling reason to say, "OK, good enough" with Haley.
More or less pull it off?

His voice? Did you see Watchmen? You are aware that he's an actor yes? And that he's considered quite good?

And I'm not even going to address the height anymore because it's clear you're all completely retarded when it comes to that issue.

Ads for your "better choices"... if someone brings up Agent Smith again I'm going to fucking vomit.

Fanboy casting isn't always the same as real life casting...

Unless you're picking Patrick Stewart to be a bald guy. Then it's a no brainer.
Old 10-18-2009, 09:58 PM   #53
W.West

Send a message via AIM to W.West Send a message via Yahoo to W.West Send a message via Skype™ to W.West

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Naysay View Post

Did his height EVER EVER EVER take you out of the movie? Would you have EVER EVER EVER guessed that he's only 5'7 if you didn't already know it?

No. You wouldn't. Because these are MOVIES and the people who make them are damn good at what they do.

Sinestros height is NOT in any way linked to his character. He could be a dwarf and it wouldn't change him one iota. His character is all about attitude, drive and intelligence.

The height of the person playing him should be the LAST thing taken into consideration when it comes to casting.
Again, I say that Tom Cruise isn't Jackie and he doesn't have the benefit of starring as an original character. I agree that Sinestro's height is not much a factor in terms of character but that doesn't mean he should be short.

Wolverine uses his height as motivation, so if fans bitch about him being 6 feet then that's fine. Stop worrying about if fans bitch about Sinestro's height, because of course their minds are going to think to Hal standing eye to eye with him, as per the source material.
Old 10-18-2009, 10:02 PM   #54
Andrew NDB
Shot Caller

Send a message via Yahoo to Andrew NDB

Quote:
His voice? Did you see Watchmen? You are aware that he's an actor yes? And that he's considered quite good?
As you yourself admit he has a limited breadth of roles from which to pass judgement. It's curious why you seem to be taking any and all Haley backlash so personally. Very curious.

And please be less insulting to the members here.
Andrew NDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2009, 10:09 PM   #55
Dr. Naysay
Guardian of the Universe

Quote:
Originally Posted by W.West View Post
Again, I say that Tom Cruise isn't Jackie and he doesn't have the benefit of starring as an original character. I agree that Sinestro's height is not much a factor in terms of character but that doesn't mean he should be short.

Wolverine uses his height as motivation, so if fans bitch about him being 6 feet then that's fine. Stop worrying about if fans bitch about Sinestro's height, because of course their minds are going to think to Hal standing eye to eye with him, as per the source material.

Tom Cruise is short. He has played dozens of roles of thirty years and you NEVER realize how much shorter he is than his costars.

Whether it's forced perspective or (literally) standing on top of a box during closeups... MOVIE MAKERS NOW HOW TO MAKE SHORT PEOPLE LOOK TALLER.

It is simply NOT AN ISSUE.
Old 10-18-2009, 10:12 PM   #56
Willpower
The Gunslinger

Quote:
More or less pull it off?

And I'm not even going to address the height anymore because it's clear you're all completely retarded when it comes to that issue.

Ads for your "better choices"... if someone brings up Agent Smith again I'm going to fucking vomit.

Fanboy casting isn't always the same as real life casting...

Unless you're picking Patrick Stewart to be a bald guy. Then it's a no brainer.
Do you have some kind of man-crush on the guy or what? You feel so strongly about him that you insult everyone all at once?

The son of a bitch could pull off the part, ya dig?
The son of a bitch is short, get it?
There are other sons of bitches who could do better, physically. The end.

Take care now, bye-bye then.

Say cheese!
Willpower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2009, 10:16 PM   #57
Dr. Naysay
Guardian of the Universe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew NDB View Post
As you yourself admit he has a limited breadth of roles from which to pass judgement. It's curious why you seem to be taking any and all Haley backlash so personally. Very curious.

And please be less insulting to the members here.
His limited breadth of roles show that he has incredible range, commitment and talent.

If we were talking about Rip Taylor I would understand all the reservations... but we're not. We're talking about an Academy Award Nominated actor to play a fictional character. A character with no actual physical measurements to speak of. A character who nobody has ever heard speak or seen walk.

As I've said... I don't KNOW or think that Haley can "nail" the role... but I'd be perfectly happy to wait and find out. Suggesting that he's INCAPABLE or somehow not a worthy pick is (in my "humble" opinion) just typical fanboy arrogance and shows (again... in my "humble" opinon) a pretty glaring ignorance about "the industry".
Old 10-18-2009, 10:17 PM   #58
Dr. Naysay
Guardian of the Universe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willpower View Post
Do you have some kind of man-crush on the guy or what? You feel so strongly about him that you insult everyone all at once?

The son of a bitch could pull off the part, ya dig?
The son of a bitch is short, get it?
There are other sons of bitches who could do better, physically. The end.

Take care now, bye-bye then.
It's acting. Not a look alike contest.
Old 10-19-2009, 12:20 AM   #59
Mrt1000son
Dark Lord of the Sith

I think you'd want Daniel Craig to play Sinestro

Craigs physically imposing and has the gritty down to earth attitude Sinestro needs to have, he was a brutal Bond and he'd be a good candidate for a Sinestro who starts off as a mentor and then goes renegade later

Besides hollywood always casts Brits as villains

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plastroncafe
Freedom of Speech does not mean Freedom From Being Called Out For Spouting Bullshit.
Mrt1000son is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2009, 02:08 AM   #60
Duskdog

Quote:
His limited breadth of roles show that he has incredible range, commitment and talent.

If we were talking about Rip Taylor I would understand all the reservations... but we're not. We're talking about an Academy Award Nominated actor to play a fictional character. A character with no actual physical measurements to speak of. A character who nobody has ever heard speak or seen walk.

As I've said... I don't KNOW or think that Haley can "nail" the role... but I'd be perfectly happy to wait and find out. Suggesting that he's INCAPABLE or somehow not a worthy pick is (in my "humble" opinion) just typical fanboy arrogance and shows (again... in my "humble" opinon) a pretty glaring ignorance about "the industry".

Actually, he does have physical measurements (or did at one time -- dunno what still applies these days) and is supposed to be quite tall. Taller than Hal, even though most artists draw them at about the same height... depending on how ridiculous the artists chooses to draw his forehead, that is.

But I totally agree with you that height is absolutely no reason to bar an actor from a role. They can take an actor of any height and make him look as tall as they want. I do think that Sinestro ought to be at least roughly Hal's height, but it's certainly not the most important thing to consider -- and even if it was, it's a non-issue thanks to the many tricks film-makers can use to make him seem taller than he actually is.

Can he pull off the gravitas required to portray a good Sinestro? Maybe, maybe not. Being a good actor doesn't necessarily mean you can do anything, though it does make it more likely that you can adapt and portray a greater variety of roles. I agree that there's no reason why folks shouldn't be willing to give the idea a chance, at least!

But seriously. Calm down and stop insulting people. At least wait until we have a confirmed casting decision before you get too emotional about it.
Old 10-19-2009, 02:23 AM   #61
ellelovessuperheroes

Well he's got creepy and menacing down. The movie will have to have MONDO special effects anyways and they can do amazing things with make-up now. He's not my first choice but look how many Hal's we went through before they decided and you've gotta be able to give people a chance, plus how do you know what an actor can do if you've never seen them try?
Old 10-19-2009, 02:42 AM   #62
Dr. Naysay
Guardian of the Universe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duskdog View Post
Actually, he does have physical measurements (or did at one time -- dunno what still applies these days) and is supposed to be quite tall. Taller than Hal, even though most artists draw them at about the same height... depending on how ridiculous the artists chooses to draw his forehead, that is.

But I totally agree with you that height is absolutely no reason to bar an actor from a role. They can take an actor of any height and make him look as tall as they want. I do think that Sinestro ought to be at least roughly Hal's height, but it's certainly not the most important thing to consider -- and even if it was, it's a non-issue thanks to the many tricks film-makers can use to make him seem taller than he actually is.
My point is... he's a fictional character. He's been, and can be, portrayed anyway they want. Look at the Joker. He's had completely different portrayals from age, size, sanity etc... but they were ALL "the Joker".

Sinestro isn't Abe Lincoln. He doesn't have a height or an accent or anything else written in stone. He's a fictional construct and can be interpreted however the film makers choose... even if that means the actor who plays him is 5 inches shorter than how tall some people think he ought to be.
Old 10-19-2009, 02:42 AM   #63
Green CFL Lantern

Jackie Earle Haley, huh? Not someone I would have imagined, but intriguing. Of course, sometimes some of the best casting is of the "not who I imagined" variety, like Heath Ledger as the Joker or Hugh Jackman as Wolverine. His portrayal of Rorschach was one of the best things about Watchmen, and I can't say that nearly two years before Watchmen came out that I imagined JEH in that role.

I agree, unless it's integral to the role height should be a non-issue. In the comics Wolverine is supposed to be 5'2" yet Hugh Jackman is a foot taller and did great in the role. Once the movie was filmed and we saw X-Men on the big screen, how many of us kept thinking "Wolverine needs to be shorter"? Jackman did so well he made us forget about that. Can JEH do well enough as Sinestro to dispel any doubts or problems the audience may have? I see no reason why not.
Old 10-19-2009, 02:43 AM   #64
Dr. Naysay
Guardian of the Universe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Green CFL Lantern View Post
Can JEH do well enough as Sinestro to dispel any doubts or problems the audience may have? I see no reason why not.
and that should really be all anybody has to say about it....
Old 10-19-2009, 03:07 AM   #65
Duskdog

Quote:
My point is... he's a fictional character. He's been, and can be, portrayed anyway they want. Look at the Joker. He's had completely different portrayals from age, size, sanity etc... but they were ALL "the Joker".

Sinestro isn't Abe Lincoln. He doesn't have a height or an accent or anything else written in stone. He's a fictional construct and can be interpreted however the film makers choose... even if that means the actor who plays him is 5 inches shorter than how tall some people think he ought to be.
...And if you had read beyond the first sentence, you'd have seen that I was agreeing with you. My point was that, while you feel that none of these things are set in stone just because he's a fictional character, others might feel differently. At what point does "interpreting" a character take away what makes that character who and what they are? Boodikka in GL: First Flight is a good example of this. They "interpreted" her in a way that changed her hair color, her body type, and, most importantly, her personality. Was she still Boodikka just because she bore that name and, presumably, was based on the Boodikka that was previously established in the comics? I would argue no. Even fictional characters have rules and limits to what can be done with them before you've lost the original character and created something entirely new!

But you're right -- height alone is not something that's going to completely change a character. As I said, I agree with you that the height of the actor is completely irrelevant. And I also agree that making Sinestro short, if they chose to cast Haley and leave his height as-is, wouldn't matter one bit if the part is acted well. If he can make us really feel that he's the Sinestro we know and love/hate, it won't matter at all if he's short.

Heh, my DCUC Sinestro is a shorty, and I still love him.
Old 10-19-2009, 03:16 AM   #66
JohnnyV
Pictionary Master

hmm, Naysay are you Haley's agent or something? I mean I personally agree that there's no reason to think he won't do well as Sinestro. But come on man, people are entitled to their opinions. I don't think I've seen you go off and use caps like this before...lol.

Ok, here's my true opinion on the matter. Was JEH my first thought when Sinestro popped in my mind? No. But guess who wasn't in my top list of actors to play The Joker? Heath Ledger. And I thought Kevin Spacey was going to pull off an amazing Lex Luthor, and I think we all saw how that turned out.

At the end of the day, in super hero movies it really comes down to the director and writers in my eyes personally. Top talent is generally chosen upon, and casting is a huge concern but most of the problems with super hero movies I've seen recently the huge draw back has been the stories, writing, and direction. Hugh Jackman is a great Wolverine, but how's he supposed to pull off a great role with the crap he was given for Origins? Or again, Spacey who turned quite possibly the worst super hero movie drivel into something at least presentable.

So, I can get behind Haley in the role because honestly the movie's awesomeness rests on the writers and Martin Campbell's shoulders.

Follow The Nobodies Comic on Facebook or Twitter
JohnnyV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2009, 03:31 AM   #67
W.West

Send a message via AIM to W.West Send a message via Yahoo to W.West Send a message via Skype™ to W.West

Can we talk about his denial now?
Old 10-19-2009, 03:42 AM   #68
ComicGeek
Corps Honor Guard

I loved him as Rorshach, he could do it!
Don't think this kind of pain will ever heal
I gave to you my life and love for years
Look deep in my eyes, my pain do you feel
All I ever wanted was to be loved
Waiting on dad to take me up above"
ComicGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2009, 03:44 AM   #69
ellelovessuperheroes

I know its not directly related to this thread but....
Just thought I would throw this out here because I'm not sure what the rings voice should sound like, but is the voice supposed to be the voice of Mogo or not?
Old 10-19-2009, 03:51 AM   #70
InterestingJohn
Alpha-Lantern

Send a message via AIM to InterestingJohn Send a message via MSN to InterestingJohn Send a message via Yahoo to InterestingJohn

I've been trying to stay up-to-date with the general feel of the script (having not read it, just some reviews). Have they changed Sinestro's role from the "mentor" position they originally intended? I certainly hope that "First Flight" hasn't got them thinking that making him a scheming villain on the quick is a good idea...

As far as Jackie Earle Haley... I'm not 100% sold on him yet, but I've always seen Sinestro as a sophisticated, proper, talk-down-to-everyone, genius prick. Also, I try to keep in mind that he was originally modeled in appearance after David Niven, so naturally I always assumed him to have a haughty brit accent :P at least, that's how he sounds in my mind when I'm reading the comics...

I'm still thinking that Jason Issacs would nail it (but maybe he's too perfect of a choice, much like Hugo), but I'm going to keep an open mind on the casting of Sinestro.
Old 10-19-2009, 03:52 AM   #71
InterestingJohn
Alpha-Lantern

Send a message via AIM to InterestingJohn Send a message via MSN to InterestingJohn Send a message via Yahoo to InterestingJohn

Quote:
Originally Posted by ellelovessuperheroes View Post
I know its not directly related to this thread but....
Just thought I would throw this out here because I'm not sure what the rings voice should sound like, but is the voice supposed to be the voice of Mogo or not?
I always imagined it as a near-electronic female voice... like the Enterprise's computer...
Old 10-19-2009, 03:53 AM   #72
JohnnyV
Pictionary Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by InterestingJohn View Post
I've been trying to stay up-to-date with the general feel of the script (having not read it, just some reviews). Have they changed Sinestro's role from the "mentor" position they originally intended? I certainly hope that "First Flight" hasn't got them thinking that making him a scheming villain on the quick is a good idea...

As far as Jackie Earle Haley... I'm not 100% sold on him yet, but I've always seen Sinestro as a sophisticated, proper, talk-down-to-everyone, genius prick. Also, I try to keep in mind that he was originally modeled in appearance after David Niven, so naturally I always assumed him to have a haughty brit accent :P at least, that's how he sounds in my mind when I'm reading the comics...

I'm still thinking that Jason Issacs would nail it (but maybe he's too perfect of a choice, much like Hugo), but I'm going to keep an open mind on the casting of Sinestro.
in terms of look, and prior history of characters played I believe Jason Isaacs was born to play Sinestro

Old 10-19-2009, 07:16 AM   #73
InterestingJohn
Alpha-Lantern

As long as we're talking about Jason Isaacs for Sinestro, here's a manip that I did a little while back:
Old 10-19-2009, 10:26 AM   #74
Dr. Naysay
Guardian of the Universe

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyV View Post
hmm, Naysay are you Haley's agent or something? I mean I personally agree that there's no reason to think he won't do well as Sinestro. But come on man, people are entitled to their opinions. I don't think I've seen you go off and use caps like this before...lol.

I'm not his agent... I just get really tired of people talking shit on Hollywood and making pronouncements that are just silly (in my "humble" opinion) with an air of confidence that suggests they know what they're talking about... when they don't.

I felt the same way about the Jay Leno thread... there were a bunch of people suggesting that Leno just couldn't stand to lose the limelight and that he was like Brett Favre, retiring then unretiring only to wind up looking foolish...

all the while completely ignorant to the details of the story...

Or in this case saying words to the effect of "he doesn't have the physical presence to pull off that role"... based on the fact that he's short? That's just silly. People have the right to their opinions... but I also have the right to quibble with them.

Someone could tell me that it's there opinion that Superman Returns was well written... but they would be wrong.
Old 10-19-2009, 04:27 PM   #75
JohnnyV
Pictionary Master

Well, I'm not saying you aren't entitled to your opinion. It just felt weird to read you "capping" at everyone. Because when I read words written LIKE THIS, I generally equate it to yelling. Which might not have been your intent, but it just felt odd.

Tags
movie, sinestro