The Green Lantern Corps Message Board

Go Back   The Green Lantern Corps Message Board > Green Lanternverse > Sector 0
FLASHCHAT

Sector 0

Old 07-27-2018, 04:47 PM   #51
jhpace1
Corpse Trainee

I want to keep the Emotional Spectrum, the various colors and such.

Except for Ultraviolet. That garbage has got to go.

We've had the Source Wall broken in JLA. Isn't that where 5/7 of the Emotional Entities went after Blackest Night? Only Parallax and Ophidian should be left. But if the Source Wall is broken, then why can't the Emotional Entities return as well? All this "ooh, ahh" over the Strong Force (should be called the Strength Force, IMHO, we've already got a Strong Force), Still Force, etc, when the Emotional Entities could be used again.

But Ganthet and Sayd failed to use Kyle Rayner to bring back the Blue Lantern Corps, Kyle depowered back to Green only, and now Saint Walker is the sole BL. Atrocitus is still out there somewhere. Is Carol Ferris still a Star Sapphire? The Indigo Tribe has disappeared. And nobody knows what happened to Soranik Natu and the neutered Sinestro Corps.

It's like these high-school-educated script writers in the DC building can't stand to use anyone else's ideas, they have to invent "all new! Never seen before!" plots. There was a recent resurge of old 1980 GLC characters (F-Sharp Bell), but then the good artists for the series are dropped and we get crappy artists who can't draw our GLC the way it should be drawn. And the continuity is thrown from the train.

Consistency. That's what GL needs.
jhpace1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2018, 06:25 PM   #52
Andrew NDB
Shot Caller

Send a message via Yahoo to Andrew NDB

Quote:
Originally Posted by W.West View Post
REJOICE PEOPLE REJOICE
Fuck yeah.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhpace1 View Post
We've had the Source Wall broken in JLA. Isn't that where 5/7 of the Emotional Entities went after Blackest Night? Only Parallax and Ophidian should be left. But if the Source Wall is broken, then why can't the Emotional Entities return as well? All this "ooh, ahh" over the Strong Force (should be called the Strength Force, IMHO, we've already got a Strong Force), Still Force, etc, when the Emotional Entities could be used again.
Also, isn't that where Superboy-Prime is imprisoned? Wouldn't that break him free?
Andrew NDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2018, 06:55 PM   #53
Mister Ed
Horse of a Different Color

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew NDB View Post
Also, isn't that where Superboy-Prime is imprisoned? Wouldn't that break him free?
I hope not. If I never see that character again, it would be too soon. I think I might dislike him more than Lobo, and that's saying a lot.
Old 07-27-2018, 08:22 PM   #54
Andrew NDB
Shot Caller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister Ed View Post
I hope not. If I never see that character again, it would be too soon. I think I might dislike him more than Lobo, and that's saying a lot.
I've had a sneaking suspicion he'll turn up at some point in the Doomsday Clock business.
Old 07-28-2018, 12:47 AM   #55
Hypo
Lil' Leaguer

SDCC: Jim Lee and Dan DiDio on DC’s Future and Beyond
Quote:
The focus of the panel then shifted to Green Lantern with the recent announcement of Grant Morrison and Liam Sharp taking over the book. “When I first took over at DC making Hal Jordan relevant again was one of my primary goals. At the time Hal was the Spectre and it completely destroyed and took apart the whole Green Lantern mythos. Geoff Johns figured out how to reassemble that mythos. Now we’re back at that point — we want to get back to Hal Jordan and make sure it’s clear why he’s important again.”

DiDio laughed, “So I was having dinner with Grant Morrison and I said “would you have any interest in doing Green Lantern,” and he said he was too busy,” but lo and behold, before the dinner was over, Morrison had admitted he came up with an idea for 12 issues already. “It’s a brand new but back-to-basics take on Hal Jordan,” DiDio explained, before bringing out Liam Sharp to elaborate on the process.

“I’ve never worked with Grant even though I’ve known him for years,” Sharp said, “this was like the planets aligned.”

“We were talking about space cops and what a space procedural would be, so what if someone was like…what if a giant space entity was building some giant device but it’s blocking the sun and causing floods on some other planets. A Green Lantern has to show up and say “hey, you can’t park that here.” Sharp laughed.

“We have to question what ‘justice’ is,” Lee said, “We always presume that the American type of justice is what the Green Lanterns use but there’s really only a couple human Green Lanterns. We have to take a look at what these other cultures and species think justice really is.”

“Hal’s really this drifter trying to hold down a job. He doesn’t really want to have a job. He’s really like a drifter. He wants to be up there, he doesn’t want to be down here. He’s really a genius on a savant level,” Sharp said about he and Morrison’s take on the character.
Old 07-28-2018, 01:33 AM   #56
Space Cop
The Dandy

^You gotta love a guy who hadn't been asked to write a character (who is admittedly second tier) and had taken a break from regular writing duties at the company, BUT still has a 12-issue plan that character.
Old 07-28-2018, 12:11 PM   #57
Michael Heide
Heide Finition

Going over the span of a single dinner from "not interested" to "needing 12 issues to tell his idea" is a sign that he is hungry to tell this story (pardon the pun). That's a good sign. Morrison telling stories out of boredom is okay, certainly better than other uninterested writers (Ennis, Ellis, Dixon), but when he's full of passion, he creates works like JLA, All-Star Superman and WE3.

That's not to say that Ennis or Ellis are bad writers, and even Dixon has created a few really powerful stories. When they're on, they're on. When they're on autopilot, it shows.
Michael Heide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2018, 06:36 AM   #58
Andrew NDB
Shot Caller

Hal is "a genius"? Eh. Well, whatever. It's Morrison. He's an actual craftsman.
Old 07-29-2018, 04:42 PM   #59
Big Daddy Dave Skywalker
Moisture Farmer

I'm pumped!
Old 08-01-2018, 10:46 AM   #60
Michael Heide
Heide Finition

https://www.bleedingcool.com/2018/08...g-geoff-johns/

Sounds good to me.
Michael Heide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2018, 12:33 PM   #61
Mister Ed
Horse of a Different Color

Sounds great to me. Especially the smaller scale, without apocalyptic, universe ending events. I just hope he has sufficient clout to stick to that, and avoid having his run interrupted by tie-ins to a bunch of apocalyptic, universe ending crossover events.
Old 08-01-2018, 12:35 PM   #62
Trey Strain
Guardian of the Universe

QUOTES from Grant Morrison:

"No more massive “endgame” stories that leave Oa in ruins, the Corps
decimated, and the Guardians revealed as evil manipulators etc. etc., – no [BLANK] or [BLANK] No Hector Hammond. No Star Sapphire.

The days of apocalyptic, nihilistic epics are done. We survived the end times.[BLANK] We no longer have the luxury of Armageddon to occupy our time with its flamboyant demands! This is where the Green Lanterns get down to the daily grind of policing the universe. These are down and dirty cosmic procedurals and I’m approaching this more as a TV show (with unlimited effects budget) than a blockbuster summer movie."

I'd put Hal on Earth. But otherwise, yes.

Especially as a television show with an unlimited budget. That's exactly the way I see it. When I said it should be written as a television show, with stories of a one-hour length, most people at CBR said I was full of crap. I bet they wouldn't say that now.
Trey Strain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2018, 01:42 PM   #63
Big Daddy Dave Skywalker
Moisture Farmer

Morrison has not said one thing so far about this series that I do not like. Everything is sucking me into buying this. It's what I want.
Old 08-01-2018, 02:06 PM   #64
Trey Strain
Guardian of the Universe

I've also always hated Carol Ferris as Star Sapphire.

The only problem I see so far is that DC is still pushing Hal "Roman Reigns" Jordan as the big cheese among the Earth Lanterns. If you've got four products, it's stupid to tell your customers not to buy three of them. But I think they'll figure this out eventually. As William Blake said, "A fool who persists in his folly becomes wise."
Old 08-01-2018, 02:17 PM   #65
Big Daddy Dave Skywalker
Moisture Farmer

I give it a year. Morrison will do his 12 issues and then walk away. Then they will replace him on GL and add a 2nd title.
Old 08-01-2018, 04:51 PM   #66
Trey Strain
Guardian of the Universe

Those quotes by Morrison are about as close as he could come to smacking Johns and Venditti across the face with a wet fish, without actually doing it.
Old 08-01-2018, 05:08 PM   #67
Big Daddy Dave Skywalker
Moisture Farmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trey Strain View Post
Those quotes by Morrison are about as close as he could come to smacking Johns and Venditti across the face with a wet fish, without actually doing it.
And I love it. Glad to see someone with some pull at DC come out and say so many of us are screaming.
Old 08-07-2018, 08:28 PM   #68
jhpace1
Corpse Trainee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trey Strain View Post
QUOTES from Grant Morrison:

"No more massive “endgame” stories that leave Oa in ruins, the Corps
decimated, and the Guardians revealed as evil manipulators etc. etc., – no [BLANK] or [BLANK] No Hector Hammond. No Star Sapphire.

The days of apocalyptic, nihilistic epics are done. We survived the end times.
This. So much this. Except the Star Sapphire. I still want 3600 sectors with 7,200 (plus four) Green Lanterns. Let the other colors grow slowly, or be once-a-year battles. But no mad Guardians trying to stamp out all the other colors.

And stop losing Guardians! First the Controllers genetically "drain" and "clone" Guardians to become Controllers, now "you have to kill a Guardian to make the plot terrific". Put the Guardians back in the background, or occasionally leading the blockbuster once-a-year battles. Get them out of those red-and-white robes and into Malthusian clothing.

Codify those rings once and for all - quit changing the rules on them unless a Guardian is touching/making one. Mogo is not a Guardian. John Stewart used to be, and the writers have never touched that possibility again. Now it's Guy Gardner as the guinea pig. Keep the Emotional Entities in the CPBs. Tie up some loose strings from the 1980s and 1990s if you must.
jhpace1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2018, 12:13 AM   #69
Big Daddy Dave Skywalker
Moisture Farmer

I'm all for a 20 year moritorium on killing any more Guardians. Bring there number back up to a few dozen behind the magic curtain. I promise not to ask for any questions. I'm tured of there being 1 to 10 of them left and always on the verge of extinction like the GLC. They wore that out YEARS ago.
Old 08-08-2018, 05:05 AM   #70
Star-Lantern
Hal's Understudy

It will be interesting to see if Oa returns, and if it does, how it will happen.

I think many of the problems Green Lantern has faced recently come down to bad editorial and lazy writers (duh). Killing Guardians, having the Corps fight some massive threats as one giant unit... those are really easy wells to go back to. I don't think the editors really know their projects as well as they should. When some writer brings up the prospect of killing Guardians and near wiping out the Corps, an editor should have come in and said, "Wait a minute... We just did something like that three months ago. Try to come up with something different." Thing is, I don't think the editors really know what happened three months ago all that well these days, hence the redundant stories. At least that's the impression I get. It just seems that the people working on the projects aren't that knowledgeable about them, not that creative, and don't care that much.

We'll see if Morrison can turn things around. At the very least, I'm pretty positive it won't be more of the same, which is a good thing for Green Lantern.
Star-Lantern is offline   Reply With Quote