No announcement yet.

Marvel News Thread Vol. 8

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Guess initial returns on Marvel Legacy weren't great..Axel Alonso out, C.B. Cebulski in as EIC.

Comment

Do you mean the overall Legacy trend Marvel is having, or the one-shot they put out?

Can't believe that Alonso would be out, dude's been in charge for ages it seems like.
      Villain Draft 3: Fourth Place Winner

September 11, 2001; January 6, 2021; February 13, 2021

Comment

Originally posted by Agent Purple View Post
        Do you mean the overall Legacy trend Marvel is having, or the one-shot they put out?

Can't believe that Alonso would be out, dude's been in charge for ages it seems like.
        Not the one shot, the line wide revamp they've been doing, was suppose to be their version of Rebirth but given Alonso is being shown the door I think it's safe to say that it's nowhere near as successful.

Comment

You guys post Marvel movie news here so...

James Franco to Star in Multiple Man solo film?!?

Multiple Man... probably my favorite Marvel character... IS GETTING HIS OWN MOVIE?!?

I couldn't be happier for this. Or the fact one of my favorite actors is gonna star. Wasn't there a mention he'd be in Deadpool 2 along with another random X-character?

~//V\\~

Comment

+ YouTube Video
            ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.

IonFan says

MAGA then, MAGA now, MAGA FOREVER

Comment

Did any one watch the last episode of "The Gifted?"

We got this: https://ewedit.files.wordpress.com/2...bug4322cr6.jpg

Which, of course, is the live action version of this: https://static0.cbrimages.com/wp-con...d-cuckoos2.jpg

Which was my OMG fanboy moment as I thought I never seen that in live action, at least not any time soon. The fact that it dropped into The Gifted and it was beautifully set up made me so happy. I mean, I was somewhat annoyed and bothered by the insistence of the certain character's motivation as it jeopardized everything. Now, it makes total sense and has raised the bar for this show for me.
              Darth_Primus
              Guardian of the Universe
              Last edited by Darth_Primus; 12-13-2017, 06:58 PM.
              You just witnessed the strength of geek knowledge. N.W.A., Nerd With Attitude. Straight out of Vulcan!

Comment

Yo.

yea, that's wat I was thinking too; was also rather surprised by how bloodbath-y that eps ended (altho she seemed kinda on the sketchy side from the start, so I was thinking she might be a "Hound" in disguise....)

Tazer

Originally posted by Andrew NDB
                Geoff Johns should have a 10 mile restraining order from comic books, let alone films.

Comment

Yeah, it would be have crazy on a different level to have that character be a "hound." But I'm glad it went the route it did.
                  You just witnessed the strength of geek knowledge. N.W.A., Nerd With Attitude. Straight out of Vulcan!

Comment

The last episode of Agents of SHIELD introduced the idea of a multiverse and made a 616 reference.

Comment

Yeah, that episode of the Gifted was great. I knew Esme was leading up to something, but I had no idea how brutal it would all turn out. I really hope this show gets another season.
                      MEH

Comment

yeah, it's going to be interesting to see if "The Gifted" and "Legion" returns if that deal between Disney/Fox goes through, let along if it doesn't.

Comment

Considering both of them are currently co-productions with Marvel anyway, I'm pretty optimistic about it. Disney pressed ABC to keep Agent of Shield, so it might even work to the Gifted's benefit if Fox is on the fence about renewing.

The MCU is already pretty well established. Unless they move forward with a multiverse, I don't see how mutants can be integrated. If this deal goes through, the Fantastic Four and all the related villains would be the big thing I'd expect crop up in the MCU.
                          MEH

Comment

I'll care about Agents of SHIELD when they introduce a character I *really* like. Jim Hammond would be cool to see, and he always holds the highest respect in the Marvel U. because he was the guy to kill Hitler.

It'd be dope for Disney to get rights to the F4 with Phase 4 movies coming after Infinity War. However I think if rumors of James Franco playing Multiple Man are true we might finally be getting a shared universe for the X-Men/F4 characters as Multiple Man first appeared as a villain in the Fantastic Four comics before becoming heroic and affiliated with the X-Men. I'd love to see Fox get the F4 right, since they're finally doing stuff with the other X films people care about justice.

Multiple Man is arguably my favorite Marvel character, so as cool as it would be for Disney to buy out Fox... I'd rather see the latter keep the rights and keep trying new stuff with their X-films.

~//V\\~

Comment

Disney Buys 21st Century Fox for $52.4 Billion; Will Take Control of Most Fox Assets

Last month, we learned there were on-again, off-again talks for Disney to purchase 21st Century Fox. Then Comcast became a suitor, dropped out, and now it looks like Disney has emerged as the corporate behemoth that will become even larger due to the acquisitions. Variety reports that The Walt Disney Company has “set a $52.4 billion, all-stock deal to acquire 20th Century Fox and other entertainment and sports assets from Rupert Murdoch’s empire.” Disney chairman-CEO Bob Iger has extended his contract to the end of 2021 to oversee the transition. Disney expects regulatory review of acquisition to take about 18 months.

Since Disney can’t double up on certain entities, “21st Century Fox will spinoff Fox Broadcasting Co., Fox Sports, Fox News, Fox Television Stations and a handful of other assets into a new company that will have revenue of $10 billion and earnings of about $2.8 billion. The 20th Century Fox lot in Century City will also remain with the spinoff Fox company.” So that means ESPN, ABC News, ABC, etc. stay with Disney.

So why make the purchase? First, Fox was going to be for sale no matter what. It was in debt and the Murdochs were no longer interested in managing a media conglomerate of Fox’s size. Meanwhile, Disney, reading the landscape correctly that content providers will be king in the decades to come, needed more content. They’re looking to increase their streaming footprint, and now they have 20th Century Fox movies and TV shows to provide both in terms of a back catalog and in terms of future projects. Additionally, Disney has acquired Fox’s share in Hulu, which makes Disney the majority owner of Hulu. This could set Hulu on the path to seriously challenging Netflix’s supremacy in the streaming space.

For the fanboys, yes, it also means that Disney would own the X-Men and Fantastic Four, thus bringing both into the Marvel Cinematic Universe. Again, it will take about 18 months for the deal to get approved by the government and Marvel Studios already has their slate laid out to the end of Phase 3. Additionally, based on the reaction to X-Men: Dark Phoenix or New Mutants, it’s possible that Disney may want to keep Fox’s “continuity doesn’t matter” strategy intact. That being said, I wouldn’t be surprised if Doctor Doom became the new big bad of the MCU following the events of Avengers 4.

Additionally, Disney would now own all the Star Wars movies. They previously lacked the rights to A New Hope, but now the studio would own all the movies and could conceivably release non-special editions or 4K versions of every movie. Obviously, Star Wars is big business for Disney and they’re not going to let any part of the property go without maximizing its profits.

And yet despite these nice concessions, it all feels like a major loss for consumers. Hundreds of employees will probably lose their jobs due to redundancies, uber-wealthy people will become even wealthier, and now there’s one less studio where people can pitch competing properties. We don’t know yet know how Disney will manage Fox. Will Fox still be able to make R-rated movies? What happens to Fox Searchlight? Some may give Disney the benefit of the doubt and assume everything will be fine, they’ll do whatever they can to maximize profits, etc. But the fact of the matter is that corporate consolidation rarely benefits consumers.

There’s also the Fox side of the equation, and it will be interesting to see what the Murdochs do with Fox broadcasting (chances are it will be filled with reality TV and conservative-leaning news programs) or how they proceed from here. Additionally, there are consequences we just can’t know about a deal of this size, and we won’t have a better lay of the land for months to come.

Comment

Comment

Working...
                                X