The Nintendo Thread: WiiU & 3DS

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Nintendo Thread: WiiU & 3DS

I LOVE conspiracy theorists. They are like human versions of the cymbal clapping, dancing monkeys. No one takes them all that seriously and they get bored with them after about 10 minutes.

E3 2013: Super Mario 3D World Revealed for Wii U

Nintendo's 3D Mario for Wii U now has a name: Super Mario 3D World. During its pre-E3 2013 Nintendo Direct, the publisher highlighted EAD Tokyo's next project, which draws heavy inspiration and design elements from its last game - Super Mario 3D Land for Nintendo 3DS. 3D World is due out in December 2013.

3D World will also support four players simultaneously, as Toad, Luigi, and Princess Peach will join Mario on his adventure. What's key here is that all four characters have unique traits, just as they did back in Super Mario Bros. 2. Peach can once again briefly float in mid-air, Toad is slightly faster with a slightly different weight, and Luigi once again has a longer, higher jump.

As part of the game's debut trailer, Nintendo also revealed a new costume for Mario and his allies: the Cat Suit. By obtaining a gold bell, Mario will transform into a cat and gain the ability to pounce on enemies or scale walls and poles. New footage also revealed the presence of what appear to be Kuribo's Skate (not Shoes!) and an orange Yoshi that takes the form of a raft.

Also, though this only matters to me, Nintendo is bringing back Chargin' Chuck. Football-loving Koopas are awesome!
    I LOVE conspiracy theorists. They are like human versions of the cymbal clapping, dancing monkeys. No one takes them all that seriously and they get bored with them after about 10 minutes.

Comment

Is there a stream of the Direct anywhere?

Comment

There is but they are all laggy.

also

MEGAMAN IS IN SMASH BROS!!!

ANIMAL CROSSING JOINS SMASH BROS

SUPER MARIO 3D WORLD!!!!

Comment

All next year. Still no Star Fox.

Comment

It's over. You will find vids of what they showed on gaming sites I think.

There was no StarFox or Fzero in case you're wondering.

They showed the new Smash Bro which now has Megaman in it. A new Donkey Country game that looks like the one on the Wii and Mario Kart 8 which ain't out till next year.

More details on the new Pokemon game for 3DS.

Not much really, about what I expected. Oh and that game by the people that made Xenoblade. Bayo2 she cut her hair, those games ain't out till 2014.

Mario Kart 8
            http://www.computerandvideogames.com...wii-u-trailer/

Bayo 2
            http://www.computerandvideogames.com...r-2014-launch/

Pokemon X & Y
            http://www.computerandvideogames.com...2-new-trailer/

Smash Bro
            http://www.computerandvideogames.com...-2014-release/
            Frank Castle
            Alpha-Lantern
            Last edited by Frank Castle; 06-11-2013, 02:50 PM.

THE MEN CALLED STING

Comment

Is anything coming out this year from Nintendo?

Comment

E3 2013: Defying Gravity in Mario Kart 8
                We haven’t seen F-Zero in a decade, but Mario is determined to take us back to the future.

When I was in grade school, my teachers repeatedly told me that flying cars were just on the horizon. Having no better idea at the time, I believed them, and when I didn’t see vehicles soaring through the sky by 1996, I wondered why the world had let me down. Nearly 20 years later, I still don’t have a way to soar over scummy California traffic, but apparently Mario does.

Your immediate reaction to the fact that Mario Kart 8 features hovering karts and bikes - in addition to the recently-added gliders and under-water propellers - might be skepticism. “What would that really change?” It’s a reasonable sentiment, until you realize that adding wild verticality can change everything in a racing game.

Nintendo has always been trying to push the designs of Mario Kart stages to new extremes, finding crazier themes, crazier layouts and crazier concepts to build into otherwise-normal race tracks. But there were guidelines – not to mention physics – that seemed to always hold imaginations in check. None of those rules apply now, as a little taste of the future means Mario Kart now feels like something out of F-Zero, while still retaining its own signature style of pacing and item-based combat.

Playing through three tracks of Mario Kart 8 revealed two things: first, this is very much the Mario Kart we’ve all come to know and love, and second, hover karts are amazing. Tracks now spiral and twist out of control, splitting and careening into hidden areas, side paths and everything between the two. There are more possibilities and roads than ever, and all of it is contained within the tried-and-true Kart formula.

Of course, Kart 8 is bringing back everything I’d expect from the series – and then some. Collecting coins will once again allow me to boost my top speed, something that saved me from catastrophic crashes, and allowed me to place first in every race. The usual assortment of items, from red shells to banana peels, are back, and while I didn’t notice anything new, I also didn’t find myself on the receiving end of anything overly powerful either, the result of the series’ fierce rubber-banding principles. Here’s hoping that kind of cheap AI substitute is gone from this version – my time with the game was too brief to determine either way.

I played through three courses, two of which were relatively standard fare. A basic Mushroom Kingdom /Mario Circuit track with relatively few gimmicks or hooks allowed me to get a feel for this latest Kart outing. Considering this team is the same team responsible for Mario Kart 7, controls were crisp as expected, with a proper feel for multi-tiered power sliding, speed and road traction. The second coastal stage appeared to take design cues not only from Mario Sunshine’s Delfina Island, and Wii Sports Wuhu Island, but real-life cities like San Francisco. Again, the team seemed to opt away from giant cannons or other trickery and simply push for branching paths that split into every direction possible. These first two stages certainly seemed like they’d be positioned early in the Mario Kart 8 experience, but reinforced just how wild things could get. And that certainly proved to be the case in a haunted mansion level I’m simply calling “Boo House.”

Boo House is where things started to get wild. Not only were there branching paths, jumps that required a smart use of a kart’s glider and obstacles like undead skeletons with hammers, but in the midst of one self-contained tunnel, I suddenly found myself propelling through water. I hadn’t gone off a ledge or descended in any way – simple force fields seemed to be holding water in an enclosed area – and now I had to race through that.

It’s that sort of chaotic, abrupt change that makes me excited for Mario Kart 8. It’s that kind of bold design that will make what otherwise might be considered a relatively formulaic franchise feel fresh. The sky is the limit – quite literally now – for the Kart team’s designers, and that is going to make a huge, huge difference. Of all Nintendo’s announced offerings at this year’s show, I was most skeptical about Mario Kart, yet in many respects it actually managed to impress me the most. I’m dying to see what wild ideas the team has in store for all of us early next year.

Comment

Originally posted by Lantern A-train View Post
                  Is anything coming out this year from Nintendo?
                  Link to the Past 2, Super Mario 3D World, Pikimin 3, Wonderful 101. Pokemon X and Y

Comment

E3 2013: Donkey Kong Country’s Spirit Lives On In Tropical Freeze
                    Retro’s Donkey Kong excellence lives on in Tropical Freeze.

To be perfectly honest, with Donkey Kong Country Returns merely two years old, and its re-release freshly released for the 3DS, the last thing I expected Retro to be working on was a Wii U sequel. It seemed as though it’d be time to return to Metroid, or be daring and branch out to something like Zelda.

Initial surprise aside, what Retro is doing with Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze is exactly what I want in a HD Donkey Kong platformer. In fact, what the team is doing with dynamic camera movement is particularly stunning, adding an extra level of brilliance on what will likely be another great chapter in Donkey, Diddy and Dixie’s next adventure.

Retro isn’t shaking up its core formula too much here. Donkey Kong has the exact weight and movement that I’d expect him to have, with a heavier sense of momentum and greater pull than, say, Mario. The ape’s ground pound ability is back as well, though Retro has eliminated the blowing move in favor of a handle-grabbing pull, allowing Kong to pull up platforms and levers. Diddy (and presumably Dixie) is found in a barrel, and will not only add hearts to DK’s life, but give his jumps extra horizontal movement. Mixed into the typical platform mechanics are the usual array of collectibles, tucked into every corner and under every floor board. As usual, the most dedicated fans will no doubt be forced to spend dozens upon dozens of hours uncovering every secret.

Where Tropical Freeze finds a new sense of life is how it integrates its camera, which is more willing to find camera angles other than the typical, generic “straight on” shot. The result is something that brings a greater sense of 3D movement to what is a very straightforward 2D concept. Barrels propelled me in every possible direction, even pulling me into the backgrounds of levels and into entirely new areas. There’s a greater, more dynamic purpose to how this game moves through its levels, which generally results in a more energetic feeling.

Anyone who played DKC Returns is no doubt aware that Retro has some insanely talented 2D artists, animators and environment designers, and the move to HD hasn’t dulled that edge at all. Levels have an incredible life all their own, and the aforementioned camera movements only reinforce that strength. Likewise Donkey Kong’s new opposition, invading Vikings, have an immediate impact, in part because they’re simply something different, but mostly because they have incredible personalities imparted strictly through their in-world appearance. Penguins firing fish arrows as I blast from barrel to barrel pretty much says it all.

So far Tropical Freeze fits the larger theme of what Nintendo is bringing to E3 2013 – safe sequels in established, excellent franchises. That’s only a problem for you if you were expecting radical change and industry-defining ideas, which some expect and insist every single year from the publisher. I look at it as a very good problem to have – if my biggest complaint about Retro’s next game is that it’s a sequel to a game IGN gave a 9 out of 10, things are looking pretty good.

Comment

+ YouTube Video
                      ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.

Comment

+ YouTube Video
                        ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.

Comment

+ YouTube Video

+ YouTube Video

+ YouTube Video

Comment

+ YouTube Video

+ YouTube Video

+ YouTube Video

Comment

+ YouTube Video

Comment

Working...
                              X