Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Will Kyle ever get revenge on Sinestro for his mother's death?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Will Kyle ever get revenge on Sinestro for his mother's death?

In the debut special of the Sinestro Corps War, after ripping out the Ion entity from Kyle and stripping him of his powers, Sinestro famously revealed to Kyle that he was responsible -- via his Sinestro Corps member Despotellis -- for the murdering of Kyle Rayner's mother. This plot thread seemed to get swept under the rug even by the end of the event, where Kyle is all smiles when he gets a Green Lantern ring and barely even angry at Sinestro as he double-teams him with Hal (in fact, Hal seems angrier at Sinestro than Kyle here, and Sinestro didn't even do anything to Hal).

Later on Kyle would fight Sinestro... but not for any particular reason, and not so much as a word was mentioned about Sinestro killing his mother. Not one. And at the end of the fight, Kyle would get punked by him. Again.

When is Kyle ever going to get his revenge, or at least some measure of justice for his mother's death? I'd have been fascinated, with both Kyle and Sinestro possessing their own books right now, to see a 2 issue crossover just between those books to finally bury the hatchet.

I'm not saying one of them has to die, but it needs to be fucking addressed.

Personally, I believe that when Geoff decided he want to conveniently forget about all the other horrible, horrible things Sinestro has done (including, I don't know, the wiping out of whole space sectors and the trillions of lives therein during the 80s) and wanted to try and redeem him to some degree for some reason, things he'd written like Sinestro killing out a major GL's mother might run in the face of that... so the mandate became: "Don't mention it again."

*Note: For those who doubt whether Sinestro killing Kyle's mom is even in canon anymore, while the actual death of his mother occurred at the end of the Ion maxi-series, the big reveal that Sinestro was her killer happened in Sinestro Corps War Part One, literally Issue #1 of the never-ending event that didn't conclude until War of the Green Lanterns (or whatever Geoff's last event was... they all blur together)... written by Geoff Johns. And it's treated as the very reason that Sinestro is even able to put Parallax into Kyle -- without the mother revelation, Kyle would have resisted fear.
    Yes
    0.00%
    No
    25.00%
    Maybe, but not anytime soon
    25.00%
    I doubt that's even canon anymore
    50.00%

I picked might not be canon anymore because i guess something got lost during the reboot.
    But it might show up again just like Sodam Yat did,everyone thought he was dead and then boom back again.
    Proud owner of a Justice League Europe number 1 issue.
    Which currently is worth less than my Kick-Ass 2 issue 1.

Comment

Originally posted by CaptainFrxz View Post
      But it might show up again just like Sodam Yat did,everyone thought he was dead and then boom back again.
      Why would anyone think that? I thought the last time we saw Sodam before he turned up on Daxam a couple months ago was a couple years ago, when he was being led away into space by that new villain guy Tomasi created but never really got to finish up with? Mind-controlled? Did I imagine that?

Comment

I said maybe.

He definitely won't be killing Thaal, but if it suits a future story, they might dig up the handing thread.

BTW: this unfinished business has been noted on here from time to time.

Comment

Ancient history. They I'm sure at some point some writer will have Kyle's mom show up as if it never happened, and she'll be a completely different character.

Comment

I blame Geoffnestro for this canon mess.

Comment

no, if it hasn't happened by now it'll never happen

IonFan says

MAGA then, MAGA now, MAGA FOREVER

Comment

Originally posted by Big Daddy Dave View Post
                Ancient history. They I'm sure at some point some writer will have Kyle's mom show up as if it never happened, and she'll be a completely different character.
                That's exactly what they did with Kyle's dad. How lame would it be if they did that to his mom, too?

Comment

Originally posted by Andrew NDB View Post
                  That's exactly what they did with Kyle's dad. How lame would it be if they did that to his mom, too?
                  Lame? Sure. But the precedent is there!

Comment

Read my fanfic Andrew, Rise of the Dark Lantern had Kyle go after Sinestro in the pre New52 universe to follow through on Sinestro's original death sentence despite the treaty with the Sin Corps. Within the seven chapter story I brought in that eras JLoA with Grayson as Batman, Alan Scott showed up, as well as Donna and Jade (both were in the League), and Parallax and Oblivion. I was quite proud of the story and I've pondered writing a New52 version but there's no way it'd be as fun to write or make sense.

I'd say Kyle's mom, Effigy, and Nero are all alive in the New52. Or they should be.

~KL~

Comment

They could have her show up and say that her death was a ruse perpetrated by Sinestro to weaken Kyle's will so that he would succumb to Parallax's influence.

Most likely, whoever is doing the writing will probably pretend that it never happened, and not even metion Kyle's mom again.

Comment

You'll be fortunate if the next time Kyle's parents make an appearance it isn't in a story where they are retconned as both alive and well with a long happy marriage, and raised Kyle together.

Just in time to have a villain shockingly kill both of them to give Kyle some kewl angst.

Comment

You'll be fortunate if the next time Kyle's parents make an appearance it isn't in a story where they are retconned as both alive and well with a long happy marriage, and raised Kyle together.

Just in time to have a villain shockingly kill both of them to give Kyle some kewl angst.
                          I was about to comment on how likely it is for ANYBODY to be alive and in a long, happy marriage in the DCnU, but then I saw you were projecting they'd get killed immediately. That sounds about right for the current philosophy.

Comment

Why would anyone think that? I thought the last time we saw Sodam before he turned up on Daxam a couple months ago was a couple years ago, when he was being led away into space by that new villain guy Tomasi created but never really got to finish up with? Mind-controlled? Did I imagine that?
                            He was mind-controlled yes then he came back.
                            But he was gone for so long it seemed like the writser killed him off behind the scenes.
                            Emerald Warriors was awesome i miss that book.
                            Proud owner of a Justice League Europe number 1 issue.
                            Which currently is worth less than my Kick-Ass 2 issue 1.

Comment

Maybe now?

Comment

Working...
                              X