good read

http://www.newsarama.com/comics/insi...ip-111102.html

toweroffate.blogspot.com

Comic fans are so weird.

Comment

Originally posted by myuserid View Post
      Comic fans are so weird.
      I know I am.

Though, for myself, I don't feel like I've even thought I owned characters in some sense. What I own are my PREFERENCES about characters. So I would never say that the creators CAN'T do whatever they want with the characters. I'd just say I HATED the things they did. (Though, to be honest, there are only a few instances where I disliked the direction enough to drop the book.)

I don't think complaining about what they do sometimes implies that one feels ownership of the character. If something is created as a form of entertainment, I fail to see how it is at all abmormal to complain when it stops being entertaining.

But I do agree with the obvious point that it makes no sense to expect anything to CHANGE through complaints alone if the book is selling well. Obviously if you hate the direction, the most convincing way of saying that is by not buying it. Verbalizing your reasons for not buying it (assuming you do so in a way that the creators are likely to see it) can help IF it is coupled with a sales drop, I'm sure (and IF your reasons align with many OTHER'S reasons). But if sales are up? Why would they listen to words over sales?

That's not to say people shouldn't complain if they are still buying the book. Just that you shouldn't EXPECT change if everybody goes that route.
      Mister Ed
      Horse of a Different Color
      Last edited by Mister Ed; 11-02-2011, 11:01 PM.

Comment

If only this article was around during the H.E.A.T. era.
        The last fan of 1990s comics
        Read my Green Lantern blog The Indigo Tribe

Comment

Originally posted by SD80MAC View Post
          If only this article was around during the H.E.A.T. era.
          Right. Because nobody was saying anything similar to this back then.

This article kind of belabors the obvious, in my opinion. Maybe I'm overly optimistic about what is obvious?

Comment

Perhaps. But most people are not.
            The last fan of 1990s comics
            Read my Green Lantern blog The Indigo Tribe

Comment

Science fiction, comicdom, television, anime, and popular culture in general are not all that different. I'm old enough to have been part of the letter-writing campaign when Classic Star Trek was cancelled after just two seasons. NBC thought they could kill the franchise. Ha. That was 1968. It was only the beginning. Not even the end of the beginning.

Long live -- so very glad you're back.

Long live -- wherever he is now.

The power of will is found at the deepest level of your being. It's more than mere rules. It's a duty that you must honor.

Comment

well we are the ones that buy them every month so why shouldn't we have a say in what happens

IonFan says

MAGA then, MAGA now, MAGA FOREVER

Comment

Originally posted by IonFan View Post
                  well we are the ones that buy them every month so why shouldn't we have a say in what happens
                  Because you don't own them. It's that simple.

Comment

Do you help your favorite bands write their songs?

Comment

Cause when fans have a say in what happens you get things like Spidey 3
                      I LOVE conspiracy theorists. They are like human versions of the cymbal clapping, dancing monkeys. No one takes them all that seriously and they get bored with them after about 10 minutes.

Comment

Um I pretty positive that was the decision of the studio, not us fans.

Comment

Based on tons of fans clamoring for Venom.
                          I LOVE conspiracy theorists. They are like human versions of the cymbal clapping, dancing monkeys. No one takes them all that seriously and they get bored with them after about 10 minutes.

Comment

Yes but the studio made the final results (they could have easily have ignored the fans). Plus not everyone was up to the idea of have Spiderman 3 featuring Venom.

Comment

You do have a say. If you stop liking what's happening, you can stop buying. Marvel and DC don't owe you anything, no matter how long you've been reading. All they owe you is an entertaining read in exchange for the $3-$4 dollars you pay for each comic. And if they don't live up to their end of the bargain, then the simple response is to no longer follow up on your end.

Comment

Working...
                              X