The Green Lantern Corps Message Board

Go Back   The Green Lantern Corps Message Board > Green Lanternverse > Other Comics
FLASHCHAT

Miscellaneous GL Comics
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-16-2020, 08:37 PM   #1
Ωmega Man
Guardian of the Universe
 
Ωmega Man's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: East TN
Posts: 12,390
Blog Entries: 3
Question The New DC - What Do YOU Want?

The recent changes at DC Comics has the potential to be something great. Be it changes to their printed material, how it's distributed, cartoons and television, digital products, new collectibles, or the films.... changes are around EVERY corner. So what this is leading into should be obvious from the title of the thread, what exactly do YOU want? Comics, cartoons, film, whatever... what would make you excited again as a fan?

For me, off the top of my head:

1.) A new Justice League animated series in the same vein as JLU and JLAction, with a tone somewhere in line with the Young Justice animated stuff would be amazing. Along with that of course we'd need action figure lines and other merch.

2.) Break boundaries between print and digital and make a character like Cyborg or Mr. Terrific the centerpiece. If Marvel actually gave a damn about Iron Man [they don't really, only RDJr] they would've already attempted something like this with their most recognizable tech hero. In my mind, a reader would be prompted to download an app, and upon scanning stuff in the comic it would unlock some sort of bonus content online. If Cyborg has homies at STAR Labs, the reader could become the 'guy in the chair' and another pair of eyes, or a reader could see through the eyes of a T sphere, Bat-gadget, or even Skeets! The reader could be in on developments that generally take place off panel.

This idea could be reworked for other heroes such as the GLC, JL, Batman and Co., etc. if it was successful enough. However I'd definitely give the first shot at something like this to some character like Cyborg or Terrific just to test the waters.

3.) DC needs their own Guardians of the Galaxy. JL: Odyssey just isn't it. I found the space adventure team-up in Hawkman to be more fluid with the Atom, Adam Strange, and Hawkwoman. Odyssey had the right idea bringing in characters like Orion and Blackfire but for me its too little too late. It brought a lot of ideas to the table, the execution was just off.
Ωmega Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2020, 02:10 AM   #2
IonFan
Forum Member
 
IonFan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: North Carolina, USA
Posts: 20,264
Default

i for one want better art, not the bullsh!t they call "art" in GL ()
__________________

IonFan says

Quote:
MAGA then, MAGA now, MAGA FOREVER
IonFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2020, 04:32 AM   #3
Big Blue Lantern
Corps Honor Guard
 
Big Blue Lantern's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Virginia
Posts: 1,450
Default

Good topic, OM.

1. Follow-through. We've been hearing about GL in live-action for years, but we're only given easter eggs. Show us Alan on Stargirl, even if he's only there to provide a set-up for someone like Jade to be on the team. Give us John on Superman and Lois, and let it be more inspired than the ring-in-a-box scene. Most importantly, make sure the HBO Max series is groundbreaking. Hold nothing back on the budget.

2. Reprint old issues or collect them for full runs of old series. No more start-and-stop collections. More Omnibus editions would be welcome.

3. Make sure that the digital library is still available on HBO Max if DCU ceases to exist. Reading comics on a big screen is sublime.

4. Get us more characters in action figure lines. Since DCC is gone, McFarlane, Neca, etc need to give us more than just 10 versions of Batman, 8 versions of Superman, 5 Wonder Woman characters, and fans of everyone else hopes for a single bone to be thrown his/her way. Give us characters whom we have never seen in plastic. Also, open a dialogue with companies like Sideshow/XM/Prime 1 for more characters in statue form.

5. Never give up on printed comics or comic book shops. If DC is going to start producing book-style offerings for retail stores, that's wonderful. However, don't forget the people who were in the battle with you, and who helped comics have a record-breaking year in 2019. Make sure they get some exclusive offerings to keep their doors open.
__________________
Check out my Green Lantern product reviews on Twitter as the Emerald Enthusiast! @EmeraldEnthusi1
Big Blue Lantern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2020, 08:56 AM   #4
Parrylakks
Comte de la Fere
 
Parrylakks's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Utah Valley
Posts: 4,605
Default

Bring back Green Arrow in an ongoing and let the writers have full access to Team Arrow. It's been weird not having new GA stories to read since it was cancelled a while back.

Also, don't kill off characters without a proper story driven purpose. Killing off Roy Harper in Heroes in Crisis was pointless and brought absolutely nothing to the proceedings; not to mention that it pretty much made me stop caring to buy any new comics.

Furthermore, if you produce TV or Movie tie-ins, have the writers work with the producers/showrunners, et alia, to make sure they flow with the films properly, and remain within the adaptation's established canon.

Lastly, novels are great. Publish more of them. Just let them be actual original stories, not just retreads or adaptations of successful comic stories or films.
__________________
Do good. Be well. Make happy.
Parrylakks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2020, 10:30 PM   #5
Agent Purple
The Illustrated Man
 
Agent Purple's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Isengard
Posts: 14,527
Blog Entries: 3
Default

I want a new Batman comic.

Where he kills someone.

With a gun.
__________________
Villain Draft 3: Fourth Place Winner
Agent Purple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2020, 11:26 PM   #6
jhpace1
Star Sapphire's Love Slave
 
jhpace1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Graham, NC, USA
Posts: 358
Default

Superman or Action Comics has already said that DC's going to "reboot" every 5 years whether the fans want it or not.

So....

1.) Fix the Emotional Spectrum. That means, yes, bring back the Color Corps. I can tell I'm losing fellow fans already. But I liked the seven colors. Not Sinestro using Ultraviolet in JLA! Bring back the seven colors, and the white. Stop the stupid "Gold Lantern" in the Legion in the 30th Century! (Make him a copy, not a real power ring.)

2.) Have the editors talk to each other about the continuity problem. (GL & JLA being #1.) Get rid of John Stewart's GL ring being a tattoo in JLA.

3.) Make Kyle's power battery be "independent" again, for the Torch Bearer.

4.) Bring back the Alpha Lanterns in the Green Lantern Corps (they're cyborgs. They can be resurrected.) Tone them down, no more "evil" Guardians and stick-in-their-backbone Alpha Lanterns. Make the Alpha Lanterns what they were supposed to be in Blackest Night - backup independent batteries for long-term missions or when the Central Power Battery goes blooey again.

5.) Two magazines. The "New" Green Lantern for Hal Jordan fans. A GLC magazine for the Color Corps, Kyle, Guy, things going on in space, etc. John, Baz, and Jessica can rotate in JLA. But keep the crossovers to a minimum!

6.) NO MORE SUMMER BLOCKBUSTERS. No more saving the universe/cosmos every 12 months with a new or old enemy. We the fans have had enough. No more "read all 40 magazines to get the whole story"! (I see what you're doing there, and I'll wait for the paperback.)

7.) No more Watchmen! No more "Doctor Manhattan is a god" storyline that has screwed up the DCU for the last 10 years. Watchmen get one movie blockbuster and the fanboy editors in the DCU can't keep their grubby hands off of crossover stories.

8.) Stop making the Green Lantern Rings as sentient and as powerful as the Guardians. They are the ultimate tool, period. Power Rings are not semi-sentient items that fall in love with their wielders or brainwash their wielders with their deepest desires. STOP THE NONSENSE.

9.) Stop the re-writing of the DCU to follow the Arrowverse or the latest movie. You can put out additional comics for the movies, but stop rewriting DCU history to follow the movies. It's stupid, and counterproductive.

10.) Clean up the continuity problems with a normal storyline. You can do homage to old plots, but only to close them.

Ugh, I'm out of steam now.
jhpace1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2020, 02:07 PM   #7
Big Daddy Dave Skywalker
Moisture Farmer
 
Big Daddy Dave Skywalker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: At Toshi Station picking up some power converters
Posts: 16,705
Default

Make comics good again. They currently are NOT worth wasting 5 bucks an issue for. Better writers and better artists are needed to start trying to raise that bar that's been sitting there untouched for decades.
__________________
Big Daddy Dave Skywalker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2020, 05:21 PM   #8
Trey Strain
Guardian of the Universe
 
Trey Strain's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 11,440
Default

Speculators control the comics industry. Everything that gets done is aimed at getting them excited. What I'd do about that is to fuck with them about the numbering. Say you're going to publish a four-issue story in some comic. Throw out the old numbering and number those four issues 1-4. Then number the next four-issue story 1-4 as well. And do that with every comic you publish.

Heh, heh.
Trey Strain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2020, 06:25 PM   #9
Big Daddy Dave Skywalker
Moisture Farmer
 
Big Daddy Dave Skywalker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: At Toshi Station picking up some power converters
Posts: 16,705
Default

Make every month a number 1, and the only way to tell the difference is by looking at the month and year.
__________________
Big Daddy Dave Skywalker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2020, 06:29 PM   #10
Big Daddy Dave Skywalker
Moisture Farmer
 
Big Daddy Dave Skywalker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: At Toshi Station picking up some power converters
Posts: 16,705
Default

I have a feeling that DC will experiment with getting rid of monthly floppy issues on some mainstream comics. Going digital only every month, and then collecting in a physical trade every 6 to 8 issues, making TPBs the only way to physically own certain titles. I cant see them doing it line wide right off the bat, but I wont be surprised if they try it with a few titles to condition readers to accept it before handling the entire line that way.
__________________
Big Daddy Dave Skywalker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2020, 06:31 PM   #11
Big Daddy Dave Skywalker
Moisture Farmer
 
Big Daddy Dave Skywalker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: At Toshi Station picking up some power converters
Posts: 16,705
Default

Imagine buying Green Lantern once or twice a year. I wouldn't even go to a comic store anymore, it would be one to two purchases a year online, shipped to my house.

As it stands right now, Green Lantern, Far Sector and Locke & Key are the only series I am actively buying. Other than that everything I buy is a string of omnibi trades and hardcovers reprinting comics I already own that remind me of better days. I dont need to go to a comic store to do that, I just choose to to help the local shop.
__________________
Big Daddy Dave Skywalker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2020, 07:09 PM   #12
Trey Strain
Guardian of the Universe
 
Trey Strain's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 11,440
Default

Digital sales have been stuck at about six percent of the total for a long time. The companies can't seem to move the needle on that.
Trey Strain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2020, 07:17 PM   #13
Space Cop
The Dandy
 
Space Cop's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: The Third State
Posts: 27,655
Blog Entries: 2
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trey Strain View Post
Digital sales have been stuck at about six percent of the total for a long time. The companies can't seem to move the needle on that.
Where are you getting that? I haven't seen any of the major companies reveal their digital percentages.
__________________
Space Cop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2020, 07:55 PM   #14
Trey Strain
Guardian of the Universe
 
Trey Strain's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 11,440
Default

That's Comichron's estimate.
Trey Strain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2020, 10:45 PM   #15
Big Daddy Dave Skywalker
Moisture Farmer
 
Big Daddy Dave Skywalker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: At Toshi Station picking up some power converters
Posts: 16,705
Default

I would be excited if DC announced a line of upcoming graphic novels based on classic superheroes done by big names. Like get Howard Chaykin to draw an Alan Scott graphic novel. Or George Perez come out of retirement to do his ultimate Hal story. Maybe hire John Byrne to return to do a Superman tale. Stories that are loosely in continuity, with the focus on telling the best stories possible for iconic characters. I'd like to see stories that are so good that fans are fondly remembering them 30 years from now like we do Watchmen and DKR.
__________________
Big Daddy Dave Skywalker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2020, 10:49 PM   #16
jhpace1
Star Sapphire's Love Slave
 
jhpace1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Graham, NC, USA
Posts: 358
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trey Strain View Post
Speculators control the comics industry. Everything that gets done is aimed at getting them excited. What I'd do about that is to fuck with them about the numbering. Say you're going to publish a four-issue story in some comic. Throw out the old numbering and number those four issues 1-4. Then number the next four-issue story 1-4 as well. And do that with every comic you publish.

Heh, heh.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Daddy Dave Skywalker View Post
Make every month a number 1, and the only way to tell the difference is by looking at the month and year.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Daddy Dave Skywalker View Post
Imagine buying Green Lantern once or twice a year. I wouldn't even go to a comic store anymore, it would be one to two purchases a year online, shipped to my house.

As it stands right now, Green Lantern, Far Sector and Locke & Key are the only series I am actively buying. Other than that everything I buy is a string of omnibi trades and hardcovers reprinting comics I already own that remind me of better days. I dont need to go to a comic store to do that, I just choose to to help the local shop.
Ok, you guys just made the Evil list.

PLEASE do the "once or twice a year, then TPB". I can get Green Lantern at Ollie's (a discount warehouse in NC, USA) for $3 a TPB that way. I picked up the entirety of Green Lantern: Recharge, Blackest Night, Brightest Day, and WotGLs for $18 in 2019. I picked up a few extra for my nephew as well.
jhpace1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2020, 11:41 PM   #17
Big Daddy Dave Skywalker
Moisture Farmer
 
Big Daddy Dave Skywalker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: At Toshi Station picking up some power converters
Posts: 16,705
Default

Think about it. If comics only existed physically as trades, we'd get used to it pretty quick. They would just be thicker comics in our long boxes. Or on book cases. If floppies don't exist, you arent creating holes in your collection. You'd have bigger comics fewer times a year. I could get used to that.
__________________
Big Daddy Dave Skywalker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2020, 11:45 PM   #18
Big Daddy Dave Skywalker
Moisture Farmer
 
Big Daddy Dave Skywalker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: At Toshi Station picking up some power converters
Posts: 16,705
Default

My big thing is, if I am going to continue to be a green Lantern reader and collector, I dont want to have holes in my collection. If the comics are collected as trades, that's the new norm, and there are no holes.
__________________
Big Daddy Dave Skywalker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2020, 08:40 AM   #19
TazzMission
Guardian of the Universe
 
TazzMission's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: In my own head
Posts: 26,469
Default

I haven't bought or read a comic in years but is it really hard for dc to reinvent older characters of color instead of race swaping just to cash in on the branding? Not trying to be political but why Not take a risk with characters like icon instead of a black batman sceduled for 2021? Its almost like saying other hero's of color cant sell. No im not trying to stroke flames or be a troll but the pc crap really is out of control. Sorry for my rant but with current world events going on im fried with the equality bs. Also can we get rid of the multiverse and stick to one timeline? My post is actually a agreement to a youtuber named young rippa59. He gos into fantastic detail about how dc is becoming woke and pc. Also id like to see wonder woman go more Greek fantasy. Take a setting like the original clash of the titans and have wonder woman interact with posiden athena a kraken ect. You can also draw inspiration from the Odyssey. Dare i also pitch a 30's period piece alan scott film and a noir detective film for Martian manhunter where the dvd blue ray has a black and white feature.
__________________
.................................................. ..........................

If you want evidence of unintelligent extraterrestrial life existing look at the Chicago mayor lori lightfoot , lori lightfoot phone home

Last edited by TazzMission; 08-31-2020 at 10:38 AM.
TazzMission is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2020, 04:28 PM   #20
Ωmega Man
Guardian of the Universe
 
Ωmega Man's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: East TN
Posts: 12,390
Blog Entries: 3
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TazzMission View Post
I haven't bought or read a comic in years but is it really hard for dc to reinvent older characters of color instead of race swaping just to cash in on the branding? Not trying to be political but why Not take a risk with characters like icon instead of a black batman sceduled for 2021? Its almost like saying other hero's of color cant sell. No im not trying to stroke flames or be a troll but the pc crap really is out of control. Sorry for my rant but with current world events going on im fried with the equality bs. Also can we get rid of the multiverse and stick to one timeline? My post is actually a agreement to a youtuber named young rippa59. He gos into fantastic detail about how dc is becoming woke and pc. Also id like to see wonder woman go more Greek fantasy. Take a setting like the original clash of the titans and have wonder woman interact with posiden athena a kraken ect. You can also draw inspiration from the Odyssey. Dare i also pitch a 30's period piece alan scott film and a noir detective film for Martian manhunter where the dvd blue ray has a black and white feature.
I love listening to rippa!

WW worked using more Greek themes in the New52 so I'm game. I like the idea of B&W being a feature for dvd/bluray releases and could see it for JSA stuff too. And Icon recently got back on with Milestone Returns Zero.

I'm kinda getting aggravated we're getting a black Hawkman in live-action, but WB/DC won't push Bronze Tiger in the comics or films. If they wanted a black character for the JSA there's Mr. Terrific, Jakeem Thunder, Lightning, or even the last Crimson Avenger. I'd love to see the gender swapped for CA and make it a dude rather than a female. I figured WB would take the chance to cast an Egyptian as either Dr. Fate or Hawkman, I'm not sure if the guy they cast as Atom Smasher is Jewish or not. Apparently though in these WB meetings with producers, directors, etc. it's like a skit in Family Guy...

Male Producer 1: "We need to push diversity..."

Male Producer 2: "We already have a female."

Female Producer: "You know what we NEED?!"

Producer Peter Griffin: "A black guy..."

At this point I'm surprised somebody hasn't tried saying Hawkman and Hawkgirl are the same person being reincarnated. There's not two spirits, just one being reincarnated into cardboard white guys, a red haired white woman in the 40's, a Spanish girl in the early 2000's, and now a strapping black man in the 2020's. By 2030 he'll be non-binary, have teal colored hair, etc. just to make sure we check ALL boxes with this kitchen sink of an opportunity/property.

Last edited by Ωmega Man; 09-28-2020 at 04:32 PM.
Ωmega Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2020, 05:18 PM   #21
Ωmega Man
Guardian of the Universe
 
Ωmega Man's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: East TN
Posts: 12,390
Blog Entries: 3
Default

Just read an interview with the Rock. He said he wanted the actor specifically to play Hawkman, and I have faith in the guy. After seeing concept art of a golden armored Hawkman.... I'm not sure a white guy could've pulled it off. The Rock also mentioned Hawkman is the leader of this iteration of the JSA. With Hawkman, Cyclone, Atom Smasher, and Doc Fate confirmed, I'm wondering who will show up in the background and just not be "featured". I bet we'll see characters like Sandman and Obsidian in the background. Somebody like the Spectre would be sweet, but unlikely with Fate already being around. Power Girl... she's a must.
Ωmega Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2020, 12:48 AM   #22
TazzMission
Guardian of the Universe
 
TazzMission's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: In my own head
Posts: 26,469
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ωmega Man View Post
Just read an interview with the Rock. He said he wanted the actor specifically to play Hawkman, and I have faith in the guy. After seeing concept art of a golden armored Hawkman.... I'm not sure a white guy could've pulled it off. The Rock also mentioned Hawkman is the leader of this iteration of the JSA. With Hawkman, Cyclone, Atom Smasher, and Doc Fate confirmed, I'm wondering who will show up in the background and just not be "featured". I bet we'll see characters like Sandman and Obsidian in the background. Somebody like the Spectre would be sweet, but unlikely with Fate already being around. Power Girl... she's a must.
Id trade cyclone for alan scott green lantern. I looked her up and shes red tornados daughter? How do you do cyclone before red tornado? I also want a hourman and dr mid-night in live action. As for the hawkman casting wile i like the actor i feel ICON is better for him. I feel a Arabic actor should be hawkman and black adam since hawkman is part of Egyptian mythology in dc's books. I dont hate the rock but i dont want rock or like hobbs ftom ff being wile playing black Adam
__________________
.................................................. ..........................

If you want evidence of unintelligent extraterrestrial life existing look at the Chicago mayor lori lightfoot , lori lightfoot phone home

Last edited by TazzMission; 10-02-2020 at 12:51 AM.
TazzMission is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2020, 12:58 AM   #23
TazzMission
Guardian of the Universe
 
TazzMission's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: In my own head
Posts: 26,469
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ωmega Man View Post
I love listening to rippa!

WW worked using more Greek themes in the New52 so I'm game. I like the idea of B&W being a feature for dvd/bluray releases and could see it for JSA stuff too. And Icon recently got back on with Milestone Returns Zero.

I'm kinda getting aggravated we're getting a black Hawkman in live-action, but WB/DC won't push Bronze Tiger in the comics or films. If they wanted a black character for the JSA there's Mr. Terrific, Jakeem Thunder, Lightning, or even the last Crimson Avenger. I'd love to see the gender swapped for CA and make it a dude rather than a female. I figured WB would take the chance to cast an Egyptian as either Dr. Fate or Hawkman, I'm not sure if the guy they cast as Atom Smasher is Jewish or not. Apparently though in these WB meetings with producers, directors, etc. it's like a skit in Family Guy...



At this point I'm surprised somebody hasn't tried saying Hawkman and Hawkgirl are the same person being reincarnated. There's not two spirits, just one being reincarnated into cardboard white guys, a red haired white woman in the 40's, a Spanish girl in the early 2000's, and now a strapping black man in the 2020's. By 2030 he'll be non-binary, have teal colored hair, etc. just to make sure we check ALL boxes with this kitchen sink of an opportunity/property.
Watch theyll get caitlin Jenner for the hawkgirl lead and have Ellen direct and write because aparently sex ,gender, sexuality , race are what make movies good and white straight males 40 and up are just terrible harvey weinstein wannabes
__________________
.................................................. ..........................

If you want evidence of unintelligent extraterrestrial life existing look at the Chicago mayor lori lightfoot , lori lightfoot phone home
TazzMission is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 12:44 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.3
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.