The Green Lantern #6 Preview
    Writer: Grant Morrison
    Artist: Liam Sharp

0.00%
    20.00%
    40.00%
    40.00%
    0.00%

Weakest issue by far. The Adam Strange cop out was so bad. Well, its so predictable. I never expected Grant to write himself into a corner (issue 5's cliffhanger was great) just to lazily give the tv trope way of handling things. And the stakes never feel as dire as they should through the rest of the issue.

Comment

The Adam Strange thing was a cop-out, probably the weakest issue so far in the run, but still a lot to love, and still better than the stuff being dolled out for the last couple years in the GL franchise. The end was definitely something I wasn't expecting; but I really liked the way it was presented and executed minus the Adam Strange thing.
      http://cropsycrypt.blogspot.com/

Comment

What was the deal with Strange's daughter? At first I thought she was the U-bomb, which wasn't the case. Was she playing with it or something? Was she just a hostage to the Blackstars?

Comment

I thought she was playing with it and was telepathically triggered to initiate it by Controller Mu, but I could be way off. At first read I thought it might have been Aleea's special cosmic ability or something, I do not have a deep knowledge of DC comics lore so assumed maybe Adam's kid had some special abilities, but that's not the case....

I just wanted to add the "genie in the bottle" presented at the end fits in with the whole wishing ring scenario Grant has been pushing; I thought that was a cool little parallel, having the rings contain their own "genies".
          http://cropsycrypt.blogspot.com/

Comment

I seem to recall Aleea having the same "U-mind" that Olivia Reynolds had, in at least one story from Gerard Jones' run on the title. I recall hating that storyline because it relied so heavily on an extremely obscure bit of GL history and didn't do a good job of explaining it in a way that made it interesting or even terribly comprehensible.

Comment

^Okay. That makes sense. See, I don't remember that at all and my knowledge of Adam doesn't extend very far beyond his GL team-ups.

Comment

It was #38-39 of Gerard Jones' run. It also retconned in that Hal's entire Hard-Traveling Heroes (and afterward) period of indecision and introspection wasn't any kind of character development, just the result of being hit by an Ergono-ray or something, during the aforementioned obscure, old GL story.

Comment

The Adam Strange fakeout was predictable sure, but I can live with it. The coolest part of the issue for me was the epilogue setting up the next story, and an appearance by Myrwhidden. That was unexpected and welcome. So in the comics, since the silver age Hal has had his ring replaced SEVERAL times. I remember that I stopped counting after he got his 5th ring. Some were upgrades and most outright destroyed. The thing is that most writers tend to not even know or care that Hal hasn't had the original ring Abin Sur bestowed upon him since the 60s. So to me Myrwhidden shouldn't even be IN that ring Hal currently has. But whatever. The coolness of it will make me ignore everything and just go with it.

Comment

I found this issue to make very little sense. I mean the deal with Hal and Adam was pretty straightforward and predictable, but pretty much everything having to do with Mu and his plans was an obscure jumble that just sort of ended without being very well clarified. I'm sure somebody here will be able to explain it all to me, but to be honest, my preference when reading a comic book is to be able to understand what's going on clearly on my own. This sort of (what seems to me like) deliberately obtuse storytelling rubs me the wrong way. It kind of reminds me of all the weird, trippy, poorly explained nonsense that's going on in Justice League right now.

Comment

^I agree in general, though Morrison is at least fun enough to make it worth while. But I do prefer total clarity in comics. I think of them mostly as light reads and diversions, not an intellectual exercise and it's annoying to read something and think "am I supposed to understand this now, at the end of the issue, next issue, never or am I just forgetting something from a comic 35 years ago?"

Comment

Originally posted by Space Cop View Post
                        What was the deal with Strange's daughter? At first I thought she was the U-bomb, which wasn't the case. Was she playing with it or something? Was she just a hostage to the Blackstars?
                        Originally posted by Mister Ed View Post
                        I seem to recall Aleea having the same "U-mind" that Olivia Reynolds had, in at least one story from Gerard Jones' run on the title. I recall hating that storyline because it relied so heavily on an extremely obscure bit of GL history and didn't do a good job of explaining it in a way that made it interesting or even terribly comprehensible.
                        I believe it was also a bit of a pun, as a stranglet is a hypothetical particle in physics and Aleea is a Adam Strange's daughter.

Originally posted by Big Daddy Dave Skywalker View Post
                        The Adam Strange fakeout was predictable sure, but I can live with it. The coolest part of the issue for me was the epilogue setting up the next story, and an appearance by Myrwhidden. That was unexpected and welcome. So in the comics, since the silver age Hal has had his ring replaced SEVERAL times. I remember that I stopped counting after he got his 5th ring. Some were upgrades and most outright destroyed. The thing is that most writers tend to not even know or care that Hal hasn't had the original ring Abin Sur bestowed upon him since the 60s. So to me Myrwhidden shouldn't even be IN that ring Hal currently has. But whatever. The coolness of it will make me ignore everything and just go with it.
                        In this case Morrison is ignoring very recent continuity as the Rebirth era kicked off with Hal forging his own ring. Also curious as to why they spelled Myrwhydden as Myrwhidden, wonder if it was just a miss by editorial or if there's a reason.

Comment

Originally posted by Hypo View Post
                          I believe it was also a bit of a pun, as a stranglet is a hypothetical particle in physics and Aleea is a Adam Strange's daughter...
                          I didn't know it had a basis in real science, but I did catch the wordplay and thought it funny.

Comment

Originally posted by Hypo View Post
                            In this case Morrison is ignoring very recent continuity as the Rebirth era kicked off with Hal forging his own ring. Also curious as to why they spelled Myrwhydden as Myrwhidden, wonder if it was just a miss by editorial or if there's a reason.
                            I have the impression that Myrwhydden has turned up in Hal's ring after it had been replaced before, and if so Morrison is really just keeping with established continuity.

I just sort of imagine that the world inside the ring is in some sense a product of the bearer's will, with the ring just being the conduit to access it. If that were the case, then one might expect the same ringbearer to access the same world, regardless of whether the ring is the same one.

Comment

Working...
                            X