The Green Lantern Corps Message Board

Go Back   The Green Lantern Corps Message Board > Green Lanternverse > Other Comics
FLASHCHAT

Miscellaneous GL Comics

Old 04-16-2017, 05:42 PM   #26
Trey Strain
Guardian of the Universe

Oh wow. I just remembered Sue Dibney.

That time Major Force dismembered Arisia was supremely obnoxious too.

DC went on a long kick of slaughtering and maiming its female characters until it finally caused such a backlash on the message boards that they stopped it.
Up next: Two Emerald Knight stories starring Hal.

Last edited by Trey Strain; 04-16-2017 at 05:54 PM.
Trey Strain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2017, 08:49 PM   #27
Tazer
That Evil, Yellow Bastiche

Yo.

cant 4get Yron of Grenda; fucker died bringing Stel back to life.

if he coulda done that, then Y not just fix himself?!??

Tazer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew NDB View Post
Geoff Johns should have a 10 mile restraining order from comic books, let alone films.
Tazer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2017, 01:06 PM   #28
Mister Ed
Horse of a Different Color

Quote:
Originally Posted by -//V\\- View Post
And nobody bats an eyelash at Geoff Johns? Dude killed Ke'Haan, Jack T. Chance, Kreon, and Laira after turning her Red. He was even the guy who made Hal the Spectre... but no let's go on acting like Marz is the only writer to ever do some shit like kill a character who had a whole thirty appearances as a background guy.

Vicker is about as important to GL as Lianna the female Amazon-like Guardian is.

~//V\\~
Well now, as I recall, Marz had Hal kill off many of those folks in ET first, didn't he (or at least knock them out and take their rings, with the implication that they would then die when he drained the battery). I'm not too jazzed that Johns brought some of them back only to kill them again, but had he not, they would have been assumed dead from what Marz wrote for them.

I'm not a Marz hater by any means, and aside from ET (which I thought was abysmal) I have had more criticism for Johns (after an initial very promising start) than I ever had for Marz, but Marz DID kill off a lot of GLs, in almost casual fashion at times.

Last edited by Mister Ed; 04-18-2017 at 01:11 PM.
Mister Ed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2017, 01:08 PM   #29
Mister Ed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tazer View Post
Yo.

cant 4get Yron of Grenda; fucker died bringing Stel back to life.

if he coulda done that, then Y not just fix himself?!??

Tazer
I assumed that was because he realized, for all his arrogant bravado, that he wasn't as good a GL as Stel had been, and he sacrificed himself to bring back Stel because he figured Stel had a better chance of actually protecting the planet.
Old 04-18-2017, 01:24 PM   #30
Trey Strain
Guardian of the Universe

I posted a thread here once asking how many GLs Johns had killed. I believe people came up with eight of them. I asked that question at CBR, with no malice toward Johns at all of course, and several of his fanboys went ape-shit with outrage. The moderator even PMed me asking me what I was getting at by asking such a question, and warned me that I had better not reply to him with a "snarky" PM.

This is why fanboys are and deserve to be held in contempt. If Geoff kills them, it's OK. But if Marz kills them, it's outlandish. Why the double standard? It's only because Johns has many more fanboys than Marz does. Few things are as counterproductive as the feedback that hero worshipers give to their heroes.

Anyway, Marz was ordered to write Emerald Twilight in a way it could never be undone, and he tried to. That's why it was so hard for Johns to undo it. Marz defended his killings of ex-GLs, and his even inventing a character -- Fatality -- just to do that, by saying that DC was never going to use them again, so why not kill them for dramatic purposes?

From his viewpoint, that made sense. But why did Johns kill so many of them?
Up next: Two Emerald Knight stories starring Hal.

Last edited by Trey Strain; 04-18-2017 at 04:13 PM.
Trey Strain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2017, 03:04 PM   #31
Tazer
That Evil, Yellow Bastiche

Yo.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister Ed View Post
Well now, as I recall, Marz had Hal kill off many of those folks in ET first, didn't he (or at least knock them out and take their rings, with the implication that they would then die when he drained the battery). I'm not too jazzed that Johns brought some of them back only to kill them again, but had he not, they would have been assumed dead from what Marz wrote for them.
iirc, Hal took their Rings with the (somewat misguided) notion that they would be picked up later on by other GLs afterward, but then he went & drained the CPB and Im sure he didn't/wouldn't consider how that would make things worse survival-wise......

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister Ed View Post
I assumed that was because he realized, for all his arrogant bravado, that he wasn't as good a GL as Stel had been, and he sacrificed himself to bring back Stel because he figured Stel had a better chance of actually protecting the planet.
he *did* make that admission in the story (which is fine), but my point is there was no reason for him to DIE doing so; he simply couldve fixed himself & then revived Stel afterward, right? :/

Tazer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew NDB View Post
Geoff Johns should have a 10 mile restraining order from comic books, let alone films.
Tazer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2017, 04:10 PM   #32
Mister Ed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tazer View Post
Yo.

iirc, Hal took their Rings with the (somewat misguided) notion that they would be picked up later on by other GLs afterward, but then he went & drained the CPB and Im sure he didn't/wouldn't consider how that would make things worse survival-wise......

he *did* make that admission in the story (which is fine), but my point is there was no reason for him to DIE doing so; he simply couldve fixed himself & then revived Stel afterward, right? :/

Tazer
It HAS been a while since I read the story, so I may be misremembering. I guess it depends on what exactly it takes to bring a sentient robot back from the "dead". It may be there is something in the nature of their robotic lives that means that once a robot is "dead" it loses some vital essence, and cannot be revived without sacrificing the life essence of another. All I know is that, while you may have a point about this one, it isn't something that ever occurred to me, personally, upon reading that story.