The Green Lantern Corps Message Board

Go Back   The Green Lantern Corps Message Board > Green Lanternverse > The Green Lantern
FLASHCHAT

Old 04-30-2019, 11:54 AM   #1
Hypo
Lil' Leaguer

Default The Green Lantern #7 *Preview/Spoilers*

The Green Lantern #7 Preview
Writer: Grant Morrison
Artist: Liam Sharp

Old 04-30-2019, 02:10 PM   #2
IonFan
Forum Member

ok i've really got to ask i'm i the only one that thinks the cover art looks like sh!t.................................. since like #1, i can't be the only one

IonFan says

Quote:
F**k all the "Haters" 3 years in and i still support our dear leader, one Donald J. Trump
IonFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2019, 08:50 PM   #3
Big Daddy Dave Skywalker
Moisture Farmer

I like it. I feel like there is a sense of mythology coming back to the GL universe. that we haven't seen in a long time.
Old 05-02-2019, 03:15 AM   #4
Space Cop
The Dandy

Some random thoughts with spoilers:

(1) Dave was right; Morrison forgot, did not know, or (more likely) ignored that Hal hasn't had Abin's ring in a long time.

(2) This reminded me of the (the Gaiman-written) Doctor Who episode, where he meets the TARDIS personified.

(3) Part of me would love to buy a spare issue and just lay out all the pages in a mural to see the flow.
Old 05-02-2019, 01:09 PM   #5
Mister Ed
Horse of a Different Color

Quote:
Originally Posted by Space Cop View Post
Some random thoughts with spoilers:

(1) Dave was right; Morrison forgot, did not know, or (more likely) ignored that Hal hasn't had Abin's ring in a long time.
Though at this point, so many writers have done this that doing so is more the rule than the exception.
Old 05-04-2019, 11:43 AM   #6
Michael Heide
Heide Finition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Space Cop View Post
(2) This reminded me of the (the Gaiman-written) Doctor Who episode, where he meets the TARDIS personified.
Yes, that's what it reminded me of as well.

Great issue. The white letters in the first third were a bit hard to read (or a need a better lamp in my attic). But the idea of using the negative space of the GL logo as panel borders throughout the issue was amazing, and Hal talking to his ring (as reminescent as it was of said Doctor Who episode) was wonderful.

This series is getting better and better with each issue.
Michael Heide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2019, 12:49 PM   #7
BLACK HAND
Green Lantern Initiate

I thought the prose and panel layout was brilliant. I can forgive the continuity gaff(?) with Abin Sur; I just like whenever they refer to him though. It just reinforced my feelings about it being the best funnybook currently on the stands. I love the deep diving and weird cosmic stuff that you can really only get away with on the comic page and Grant is firing on all cylinders with this, Liam is channeling some crazy 70's retro-sci vibe.
BLACK HAND is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2019, 03:51 PM   #8
buffalorock
Manhunter Repairman

Excellent issue. Design-wise one of the best in recent memory. Really looking forward to a deluxe collected edition, be nice if there were some notes from the creative process.
buffalorock is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2019, 08:15 PM   #9
Big Daddy Dave Skywalker
Moisture Farmer

I really liked it. The art was gorgeous and I really got into the panel layout for the issue. I liked how it came off like a fairytale. Reminded me of Neil Gaiman's Stardust a bit at least in tone. I was a big fan of Sandman back in the day and I could go for more issues of GL that harken to that kind d of storytelling. Doesn't mean anything has to be permanent. Just makes for a memorable period of GL history.
Old 05-03-2019, 08:44 PM   #10
Andrew NDB
Shot Caller

Send a message via Yahoo to Andrew NDB

It's weird, sales are higher than they've been in years yet not a lot of people are eager to talk about the comics anymore.

Rainbow brigade deprivation from newer fans?
Andrew NDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2019, 06:32 AM   #11
Mister.Weirdo
Guardian of the Universe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew NDB View Post
It's weird, sales are higher than they've been in years yet not a lot of people are eager to talk about the comics anymore.

Rainbow brigade deprivation from newer fans?
It's probably the result of this forum not having many active members as it used to, a result of yes rainbow fatique.

I'd talk about these comics, especially since I've heard good things, but I haven't been in a comic book store in at least a year, so well... it's not great on that front for me.
Old 05-12-2019, 02:00 PM   #12
Big Daddy Dave Skywalker
Moisture Farmer

Also, we aren't used to being happy. It's easy to talk about something when you are P.O.d and need to vent. It's harder to talk about something you are content with.
Old 05-12-2019, 05:58 PM   #13
Trey Strain
Guardian of the Universe

I think Geoff's spawning the Skittles Corps, Baz and Cruz, followed by years and years of Robert Venditti's lackluster writing, drove most of the OLD fans away. The people who follow Geoff around and buy only what he writes were never Green Lantern fans anyway.
Trey Strain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2019, 01:19 PM   #14
jhpace1
Corpse Trainee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trey Strain View Post
I think Geoff's spawning the Skittles Corps, Baz and Cruz, followed by years and years of Robert Venditti's lackluster writing, drove most of the OLD fans away. The people who follow Geoff around and buy only what he writes were never Green Lantern fans anyway.
I disagree entirely. I started with Green Lantern/Green Arrow, dropped comics and got involved again just as Kyle started. I liked Kyle's version of GL. The stories only got boring just before Rebirth (Ion was terrible before Blackest Night), but there were several enjoyable stories, it was just that no matter what, there was a Standard Setting for GL with Kyle, and it was never advanced or broken, no matter the one-shots and story arcs. And Hal being The Spectre was a terrible idea.

I absolutely loved the Color Corps, but something went wrong with Blackest Night, and this was more obvious with Brightest Day. The Guardians became unable to control the rings - the rings would choose people and do things on their own. Someone in the editor room decided to do the usual "pump-and-dump" with all the colors, the GL movie ruined an entire year's worth's of GL, and then came Krona (again) with War of the Rings and Third Army.

It's like instead of good, reliable stories using the history of GL along with rules set in stone, as soon as sales drop the editors set everything on fire to make sales go up again. There's only so many times you can "destroy-rebuild" entire stories until fatigue sets in. And introducing more and more Human characters into a plot that was the epitome of racial diversity is also ridiculous. Almost like the racial black-white alien vs white-black alien on Star Trek The Original Series, followed by a woman-in-Kirk's-body.

Now we have Phantom Rings and female-Hispanic Human GLs and Muslim GLs and Hal Jordan taking center stage again. The Blue Corps has been decimated. Sinestro is alive out there somewhere but he should be proud of his daughter now, with her leading his Sinestro Corps against the GLC. The other Corps have been parodied (Larfleeze), ignored and dropped (Fatality and the Sapphire Corps), or regulated to the Standard Setting (Red Lanterns). There are no White Lanterns anymore (JLA notwithstanding).

With just one GL book, the editors might try to limp along for years, until the next summer mega-blockbuster or other dumpster fire gets things going again. I'm picking and choosing individual issues now. I'm still a Guy Gardner fan, a Kyle Rayner fan, with Hal and John but not Baz or Jessica. If the rules on power rings and power batteries going to sentients means anything in the DCU anymore.
jhpace1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2019, 06:52 AM   #15
Big Blue Lantern
Corps Honor Guard

My guess is that it's mainly older fans who are powering this series. It's not like WB is using their movies or TV or streaming shows to create new fans. It's a comic series led by a classic protagonist with a retro feel. I'm sure that appeals to some new/young readers, but it's surely designed with veteran DC/omnivore fans in mind.
Old 05-13-2019, 11:49 AM   #16
Trey Strain
Guardian of the Universe

I don't think Morrison is targeting any demographic. I think he's just writing the best comic he can write. And he isn't making it all about him.
Old 05-14-2019, 12:44 AM   #17
Lundonj
Sinestro's Sparring Partner

Been a couple days...years since I posted, but this was always a great place to talk all things GL.

It took a little bit to get used to the very specific take Morrison is going for, and I'm fine with continuity hiccups if it makes for a good story. Heck, I think fans are about the ONLY ones who track the concept of continuity anymore, the editors don't seem to care much the last decade or so.

I loved the issue and I like Liam's art a bunch.

As for comic talk being down --- every comic message board on the 'net (and I had been signed up on several dozen) is a ghost town compared to the pre-Twitter days. I ran a couple non-GL boards too.
Old 05-14-2019, 01:37 AM   #18
Space Cop
The Dandy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lundonj View Post
Been a couple days...years since I posted, but this was always a great place to talk all things GL...
Well, don't feel bashful about jumping in. It doesn't matter if it's a quick thought or something, it's cool just to keep the conversation going.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lundonj View Post
...It took a little bit to get used to the very specific take Morrison is going for, and I'm fine with continuity hiccups if it makes for a good story...
I don't know if it's still a thing, but like 10-15 years ago Marvel seemed big on playing fast and loose with continuity, while DC was the continuity heavy one. Now, I'm not so sure, but I agree that some leeway is a fine thing.
Old 05-14-2019, 07:35 AM   #19
Trey Strain
Guardian of the Universe

The traffic on every message board that I know about, comics and otherwise, is significantly down. Twitter and Facebook use are down too, for that matter.

Last edited by Trey Strain; 05-14-2019 at 07:37 AM.
Old 05-14-2019, 07:56 AM   #20
Big Daddy Dave Skywalker
Moisture Farmer

You guys are making a great point that resonates with me at least. I have one title now that I am completely happy with, and pick up every month. It's got me actually going into a comic shop regularly again. You would think I would have more to say about it. I feel kind of guilty about that now lol.
Old 05-14-2019, 12:41 PM   #21
Trey Strain
Guardian of the Universe

I think the intense interest in Green Lantern when Geoff Johns took it over and for some years afterward was an anomaly. DC had relentlessly screwed up the property for many years, with one terrible decision after another, and it looked as if they were FINALLY going to get it right.

Everyone thought they were going back to what had worked well in the late 1980s and early 1990s. Nobody suspected that Johns had no intention of doing that, and that instead he was going to make it all about him.

But as I said, all message board traffic is down sharply. There might not be just one reason for that. The many factors probably include political correctness, established cliques who push a dubious narrative that alienates new posters, people ranting hysterically 24/7 about Trump, capricious moderation, the realization that posters are pretty much talking to themselves and are not persuading anyone of anything, and simply the fact that people have only so much to say about any given topic.

Last edited by Trey Strain; 05-14-2019 at 01:07 PM.
Old 05-14-2019, 01:06 PM   #22
Space Cop
The Dandy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trey Strain View Post
I think the intense interest in Green Lantern when Geoff Johns took it over and for some years afterward was an anomaly. . .
That's true. You can see it in the merchandising. At the height of the Johns era there were all kinds of toys and shirts and other collectibles coming out. Before that, it was a wasteland. Now, it seems like we're lucky to get thrown a figure one out of every 50 or so.
Old 05-14-2019, 01:26 PM   #23
Big Daddy Dave Skywalker
Moisture Farmer

I have a mountain of GL merch piled in my conic room that can attest to that. Barely any of it came before 1997. And most of it between 2005-2012.
Old 05-14-2019, 06:03 PM   #24
Lundonj
Sinestro's Sparring Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Daddy Dave Skywalker View Post
I have a mountain of GL merch piled in my conic room that can attest to that. Barely any of it came before 1997. And most of it between 2005-2012.
I think I had 3 GL action figures - an old Hal, a newer Kyle and a John Stewart in '97 and that was it. I remember prior to Rebirth there was a GL statue on eBay that sat there forever -- way overpriced, because it was the ONLY one ever made up to that point.

Now I can't swing around in my chair without hitting a GL statue, action figure or lantern...
Old 05-14-2019, 01:27 PM   #25
Trey Strain
Guardian of the Universe

Maybe the worst part is that there's a whole generation of readers -- and WRITERS! -- who know only about the Johns and Venditti era of Green Lantern, and maybe the Kyle era too.