The Green Lantern Corps Message Board

Go Back   The Green Lantern Corps Message Board > General > General/About Us
FLASHCHAT

General

Old 10-20-2018, 03:43 AM   #7451
Mister.Weirdo
Guardian of the Universe

Presenting The Princess Bride tomorrow at the library as part of my swashbuckler series. Here's the retrospective I did on it.

https://dailyuv.com/969045
Old 10-20-2018, 02:09 PM   #7452
Space Cop
The Dandy

Scorpion King 5: Book of Souls (2018)

"I hate quests."

[Watched Nov. 5]

Dark Shadows (2012)

"Do you think the sexes should be equal?
-Heavens, no. Men would become quite unmanageable."

Interview with the Vampire (1994)

"Evil doers are easier and they taste better."

Queen of the Damned (2002)

"Humans are animals. Brute creatures."

[Finished Nov. 5]

Last edited by Space Cop; 11-05-2018 at 02:56 PM.
Space Cop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2018, 05:42 AM   #7453
Agent Purple
The Illustrated Man

Rad (1986)

"You look like something I stepped in...and I don't like the smell of it."

I watched Cinemassacre's Rental Review of this, and when Netflix didn't have it, I hit up eBay and found a decently-priced copy. Cover is shit to the max, eye-bleeding neon negative or some crap like that, and not only does it have a hokey tagline about the main character needing a miracle to win this big race, but it has a quote praising the film as being a pinnacle of BMX filmography...and yet there's no attribution. I shit you not: they slapped a made-up quote on there to make the film seem more legit. And before you worry your pretty little head, they do balance the karma out by quoting Archer Winsten of The New York Post on the back...right before they shoot themselves in the foot via the laughably-mediocre description of the plot.

Anyway, this film is definitely trying to be a formula-abiding success, but it feels really half-assed. You get a lot of the standard elements of a "talented teen who wants to score big on his talent but misunderstanding adults just don't understand his needy talents" flick, but the writers (Sam Bernard and Geoffrey Edwards) drop the ball. Namely that Cru Jones (Bill Allen, introductory role) is generally well-liked by the community and only Burton Timmer (Ray Walston) seems to dislike him until later in the film; hell, even the biker cop Sgt. Smith (H.B. Haggerty) thinks highly of Cru. (Side note: Haggerty does indeed resemble Sgt. Slaughter/Dr. Robotnik, just as James & Company said).

The love interest that Cru is burning for? Yeah, you'd think he'd pick her up for the school dance only for her to flash eyes and swing hips with the pro racer Bart Taylor (Bart Conner), but that never really happens, which makes the failed romance staple pointless. Oh sure, we get Lori Loughlin from Full House (looking damn cute in this film, I must confess) replacing her and completing the rest of the romantic subplot, but it feels pretty undercooked because of the noted failure of the first love and Loughlin doesn't get shown much of a discarding by her teammates in the Mongoose-sponsored crew, which makes her falling for Allen a little too easy.

The rival, Bart Taylor (Bart Conner), is also awkwardly handled. You'd think he'd be written with a bit more arrogance to really drive in the bloated ego, or with a nicer personality to show that fame doesn't buy integrity, but we just get to see him as a snobby jerk and then he eventually gets suspicious of his sponsor Duke Best (Jack Weston, the bad guy from Short Circuit II) before turning into a reluctant good guy.

Conner's teammates are hilariously bad. I again agree with Cinemassacre, because they are 100% Tomax and Xamot from GI Joe. They even dress the same for this bizarre (and bizarrely sexual) dance during the "BMX Boogie" scene. Whereas Conner eventually turns into an ally, these two Goombas just stay as stooges for Weston's evil executive; there's no sense of betrayal or strained loyalty between them, Conner, and the company.

Jack Weston was almost M. Emmet Walsh (the loan shark bounty hunter-type dude TR Polk from Camp Nowhere, who was chasing after Christopher Lloyd), but that was my mistake before I looked his name up. Weston does a passable job as the crooked executive Duke Best of the Mongoose BMX company, but his "I'll pay you to throw the race" private chat with Allen is both poorly contrived (Allen is told to walk off work, go up the street, and then get into a car with a total stranger) and almost completely unseen (they only have the very start and very end of the talk, which is fucking awful filmmaking even to an idiot). Oh, and then he keeps changing the race's rules to force Allen to fail because his contract regarding Conner only pays out if Conner wins first place. It really undercuts the weight of the race in terms of thematics and story structure when the villain keeps switching things up on a whim and nobody else seems to take issue with it.

Lori Loughlin was pretty good (but then again, she was on a hit sitcom, so she's got chops). A bunch of the scenes involving her and the other riders could have been improved to actually show them off to the town (aside from that one dude performing tricks atop a moving semi), and the dance scene just has her standing around outside next to the grand prize car (seriously, why is the car even there? And why isn't she inside with her teammates?) She isn't as poorly written as she could have been, actually exhibiting some intelligence and critiquing Allen so that he improves, but the effort is half-baked because she at no point expresses the desire to be in the race despite her teammates being in it (I'm not even sure the twins actually earn their spots, because the qualifying races aren't well tracked aside from showing Allen's efforts). The writers apparently couldn't decide if they wanted an actual Strong Independent Woman or not, so they wrote both and handicapped Loughlin. At least she isn't terrible.

The girlfriends of the twins and Conner were very weird. They act like prissy, high-class call girls but then they flirt with Allen and soften up in a scene, and then they just kind of drop from the radar completely. Aside from the three-way dance, why are they even in the film?

Oh yeah, before I forget, fuck that diner owner who charges five bucks for a table just to kick out regulars so he can suck up to a one-time visiting snob. I swear you can even see his rotten teeth.

I thought Walston was actually very amusing in this. He goes from being this cranky old man to a cold, shrewd business affiliate of Weston's, and then a staunch ally of Allen's. Him flipping the bird several times was also a total riot.

Talia Shire and Laura Jacoby (Mom and little sister Wesley, respectively). They were not done very well, with the sister being a pushy and confrontational brat and the mom being given the short end of the stick when it comes to having the Big Talk with her son about why he should choose education over sports (they have Round 2 as predictable for these types of films, but Round 1 was barely there and Allen just steamrolls her the second go of it).

The Helltrack. I'm not sure what I expected, but a fucking cereal bowl wasn't it. No, seriously, KIX Cereal was a sponsor for the film (so were 7-Eleven and Chief Auto Parts, as seen on a goddamn fence, of all places!), so the final racetrack has a huge cereal bowl the racers have to bike into and then ride off the spoon handle. It's like something from one of those "ginormous house" sets people used to design for Unreal Tournament.

The ending is a mixed bag through and through. Weston loses the deal because Conner basically throws the race, but other than that he isn't really outed as a crooked asshole, when any competent company would fire the shit out of him for what has to be blatantly illegal conduct. Conner himself is said to lose his Mongoose sponsorship, but that doesn't make sense because Weston is clearly corrupt and the company would lose its shit over this whole affair coming to light, so what the fuck? If anything, Allen would be offered a spot on the team, but I suppose the "feels good, man" vibe had to be maintained.

The copy I bought was burned and only had a couple of visual/audio blips, but during the qualifiers for the final race, you can see a channel logo pop up in the corner, because the seller apparently got this on HD demand and recorded it from there instead of transferring from VHS or something.

Overall, despite the incredibad writing, this was fun and you do get to see a ton of cool stunts and tricks. My dad thought it was both awful and amusing, so I think I won out this time around.
Old 10-21-2018, 06:26 PM   #7454
Space Cop
The Dandy

Return of the Living Dead (1985)

"Don't fool around, you're learning."

R.I.P. James Karen. Actually, I've been wanting to see this again as part of my Halloween-season viewing since last Friday, when I met John Russo, the co-writer (as with NotLD).

Lunch Meat (1987)

"How the hell am I supposed to make a sandwich without lunch meat?"

So bad, but at least it was free on Youtube.

The Strangers: Prey at Night (2018)

"Is Tamara home?"

Demon Wind (1990)

"Can't you hear it.
-Hear what?
Death.
-But I loved you."

Alright, but not great young-people-besieged-in-a-house horror flick. Feels like a less fun Evil Dead (the victims get turned into demons creatures), but with more Satanism and less fun.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agent Purple View Post
Rad (1986) . . . I watched Cinemassacre's Rental Review of this, and when Netflix didn't have it, I hit up eBay and found a decently-priced copy . . . Overall, despite the incredibad writing, this was fun and you do get to see a ton of cool stunts and tricks. My dad thought it was both awful and amusing, so I think I won out this time around.
You question my Netflixing Uwe Boll movies and then buy a movie based off a review where the majority of the reviewers said it wasn't even worth watching?

Last edited by Space Cop; 10-29-2018 at 02:29 AM.
Old 10-21-2018, 10:10 PM   #7455
Agent Purple
The Illustrated Man

That wasn't entirely the impression that I got, mostly that it was poor but somehow mildly entertaining. I did enjoy parts of it, but I went into it knowing that it was one of those "so bad it's almost okay" films. We both know criticizing a film doesn't mean finding it unwatchable, and that was the cheapest I could get it.

Which isn't unlike you knowing Boll films are bad but sometimes enjoyable, and you did say you'd spend money on them. Some small things make a bad film worth having. Personally, I feel like Boll's stuff is worse than most and the way he tarnishes video games with his terrible adaptations makes me feel especially bitter towards him. Didn't mean to sound like I was judging you earlier, sorry.

Anyway:

The Plague of the Zombies (1966)

"I, I find all kinds of witchcraft slightly nauseating and this I find absolutely disgusting."

A small Cornish village in the English countryside is besieged by a mysterious illness, and local doctor Peter (Brook Williams) is stumped. In comes renowned London physician and former mentor Sir James Forbes (Andre Morell) and lovely daughter Sylvia (Diane Clare) to solve the riddle. In doing so, they run afoul of the village's squire, Clive Hamilton (John Carson).

A Hammer gem of the day, and I have to say it really works the witchcraft (voodoo) angle well. I like the character of Forbes, older and relentless in his pursuit of the cause of all the madness consuming the village. Williams plays a distraught former student well, and Carson is a ruthless and monstrous manipulator. Clare plays a surprisingly strong-willed young woman, outright arguing with Carson when first meeting him (gotta admire her nerve, especially after being attacked, abducted, and nearly attacked again).

And I have to say the ending would make Universal proud, ending it in a classic horror film fashion. Grisly way to go, I think most would agree.

I was going to take this down my dad's last night instead of Rad, and he might have enjoyed it a bit more considering it comes from a higher-quality studio, but he also dislikes horror, so I think the end result would have been the same.

Watching the "world of Hammer horror" extra on the DVD now, it's pretty interesting...although it's spoiled The Mummy's Shroud for me now. Eh, I'll still watch it.
Old 10-23-2018, 12:51 AM   #7456
Space Cop
The Dandy

México Bárbaro (2014)

"Justice can be one of the most gentle lovers, but revenge is a real f***ing whore."

Mexican horror anthology. Some are confusing and a couple are really messed up (like when a goblin--known for stealing things--steals a young woman's virginity and we get to see the creatures anatomy in detail) and some are kind of clever.

Billy the Kid vs. Dracula (1966)

"Your bullets can't harm me."

Yokai Monsters: Spook Warfare (1968)

"You suck, Buddha!"

This one has to be seen to be believed.

Zombi 3 [aka Zombie Flesh Eaters 2] (1988)

"Well, I think nature is something that should be considered sacred. That's all.
-Okay, but let's not make a big deal of it. I like smoking. I take a toke on a joint every now and then and once in a while I like to piss on a bush. Am I going to go to hell for that?"

Quote:
That wasn't entirely the impression that I got, mostly that it was poor but somehow mildly entertaining. . .
Well, it's a bit long of a video to re-check. If I recall, the one guy with the glasses generally enjoyed it, but James was the one who pretty much said he was hoping for a so-bad-it's-good-movie but didn't get that.

Quote:
...Personally, I feel like Boll's stuff is worse than most and the way he tarnishes video games with his terrible adaptations makes me feel especially bitter towards him...
Yeah, it's a weird twist that although I play video games, Boll has not yet struck one I'm familiar with.
Another twist is that his trailers make the movies look much better than they are. I've fallen into the trap of either not knowing it was a Boll film (Tunnel Rats) or thinking it might be worth the watch (Alone in the Dark). But he certainly doesn't have the obvious gonna-be-fun quality like a Trolls 2 or Miami Connection has.

Quote:
Didn't mean to sound like I was judging you earlier, sorry...
Just giving you a hard time, but the facetiousness didn't come through, I guess. I neither felt judged nor was really judging. Truthfully, I searched for Rad to stream after that review, but not finding it, I stopped there.

Last edited by Space Cop; 10-29-2018 at 02:35 AM.
Old 10-23-2018, 02:18 AM   #7457
Mister.Weirdo
Guardian of the Universe

It's a big old mess in a lot of ways, and most of the supporting characters are really kinda bland, plus the film's shift from a horror-ish film to a superhero film is jarring, but in spite of all of its fault it's really carried by a fantastic and awesome Tom Hardy performance, clearly having a ball as Eddie Brock, who is like 70% of why the film works for me at all. I enjoyed it largely because of him. - 6.5 / 10

Last edited by Mister.Weirdo; 10-23-2018 at 02:21 AM.
Mister.Weirdo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2018, 02:16 AM   #7458
Space Cop
The Dandy

The Witches (1990)

"You look marvelous.
-I wish I could say the same for you."

Tucker and Dale vs. Evil (2010)

"Oh hidy-ho officer, we've had a doozy of a day. There we were minding our own business, just doing chores around the house, when kids started killing themselves all over my property."

Halloween (1978)

"You can't kill the Boogeyman!"

For the 40th anniversary!

Mad Monster Party? (1967)

"What kind of a monster is he? A ghoul? A demon? A spook, or...?
-A human.
They're the worst kind."

And for the full moon (there's a werewolf in it) this month and the season (and because I just bought it).

Last edited by Space Cop; 10-29-2018 at 02:42 AM.
Old 10-28-2018, 02:59 AM   #7459
Agent Purple
The Illustrated Man

Hansel & Gretel: Witch Hunters (2013)

"Whatever you do, don't eat the fucking candy."

An appropriately-violent re-imagining of the classic German tale, this time featuring Hawkeye from The Avengers as Hansel and Gemma Arterton as Gretel, now grown up and hunting down witches left, right, and center. It's basically a "not fake magic performed by con artists" version of The Brothers Grimm (Hawke/Ledger). But then a series of abductions causes a mayor of a stricken town to hire them to combat a super-deadly grand witch, they get serious, for real.

I saw a review of this back when it first released, on The Escapist's site, review by Bob Chipman. He didn't like it very much, and it was obvious even back then that this was cash-in schlock through and through. I still remember his irritation at not finding any images/footage of who he felt was the best character in the film, Edward the Troll.

But yeah, this is schlock. Decent, a little gory, but total schlock.

It felt like half the film was just wild stuntwork, with Renner and Arterton getting punched, kicked, slammed and thrown in all manners just so that the audience can see it happen again...and again...and again. Gretel is supposed to be a tough girl (she introduces herself to Sheriff Peter Stormare with a gun to his head and little restraint in regards to killing him), but she gets beaten up constantly, and Renner is basically just a crappy knockoff of Hawkeye in this (his attempt to pick up a bar wench was cringe-worthy). Oh, and there's the adoring fanboy that just comes off as a weak try at a comic-relief sidekick, but without the comic relief, because they allocated all of that to the fight stunts.

Periodically Renner has to deal with diabetes because he ate too many sweets as a captive to the Gingerbread House witch at the beginning, but frankly this feels stupid and doesn't serve any significant purpose. Arterton was also supposed to have an eating disorder from that trauma, but they decided to cut one and not the other, to absolutely no effect or purpose.

Stormare is a very good actor, no doubt, but he can't do shit for this film. His sheriff is hostile, abusive, very closed-minded, has absolutely zero trust in expert witch hunters doing his job (he hires a bunch of no-names to recover to stolen children, but of course they just get themselves killed by Famke Janssen's arch-villainess Muriel). Probably his most appalling scene is when he and his men "arrest" Arterton in the woods, beat her senseless, and then get ready to gang-rape her. Writer-director Tommy Wirkola must seriously dislike female protagonists, because this film doesn't do shit for them.

Janssen hams up her stuff, relishing the role of the main antagonist, but the drawback is that it comes off as over-acting. She shifted constantly between being properly smug and theatrically overdone.

Other than Edward the Troll (he is literally a big boy version of Hoggle from Labyrinth), the various designs of the witches had to be the standout from this film. You get all kinds of hideous appearances, their inner corruption manifesting in the warping of their bodies. Except for the couple of hokey designs thrown in at the big evil meeting at the end, because I know I saw a Cleopatra witch who just looked store-bought.

Overall an okay film if you don't mind highly-advanced weaponry being used in old-timey Germany to butcher loads of malformed witches, just as long as you don't expect any sequels anytime soon.
Old 10-28-2018, 03:18 AM   #7460
Space Cop
The Dandy

Cat's Eye (1985)

"Forget the cat, you hemorrhoid! Get the gun!"

A Nightmare on Elm Street (2010)

"I was just petting him."

Doom (2005)

"Aw, there's something behind me, isn't there?"

It! Terror from Beyond Space (1958)

"Mars is almost as big as Texas. Maybe it's got monsters."

Despite some bad science, this is a pretty good 50s B monster flick. And yes, you can see the blueprint for Alien here.

House on Haunted Hill (1959)

"And you call this a party?
-Could be."

Quote:
Hansel & Gretel: Witch Hunters (2013) . . . Overall an okay film . . .
That's how I remember it; middle of the road--neither a complete waste of time nor particularly worth watching again.

Last edited by Space Cop; 11-07-2018 at 10:17 PM.
Old 10-28-2018, 03:28 AM   #7461
Agent Purple
The Illustrated Man

Well look at you, watching some good choices lately!

And yeah, I forgot to mention, a member at my LCS told some of us he wanted to simply get rid of old/spare flicks he had, most on Blu-ray, and brought in a bag full. Me and the clerk took everything, and since I didn't want to force my non-horror dad to watch Alien: Covenant, I grabbed this off the shelf instead.
Old 10-29-2018, 11:55 PM   #7462
Space Cop
The Dandy

Rifftrax: Terminator: Salvation (2009/2010)

"If you like grimy guys yelling at each other over CB then you are in heaven with this movie."

Godsend (2004)

"You think you can just open Pandora's box and close it again?"

Creepshow 3 (2006)

"I can't write a prescription for ugly."

So bad.

MST3K: The Blood Waters of Dr. Z (1971/1999)

"The movie needs a new exhaust system."

Pale Blood (1990)

"It's therapeutic as hell."

George Charkiris (yep, Bernardo from West Side Story) plays a good vampire investigating murders that would appear to be due to an evil vampire. A slow burn, but not a bad watch and Chakiris is better suited to it than I would've guessed when I saw him in the top billing.

Candyman (1992)

"What's blood for if not for shedding?"

Quote:
Well look at you, watching some good choices lately! ...
Originally for my birthday, the folks and I were going to go see the new Halloween and eat out, but what I heard about the movie I decided it wouldn't be a good choice for my stepdad, who also tolerates horror on a very limited basis. So, we got takeout and did a movie marathon of 'safe horror' flicks.

Last edited by Space Cop; 11-10-2018 at 04:36 PM.
Old 10-30-2018, 01:30 AM   #7463
Mister.Weirdo
Guardian of the Universe

My Venom review.

https://dailyuv.com/969500
Old 10-30-2018, 01:41 AM   #7464
Space Cop
The Dandy

Little Evil (2017)

"Relax? We're in a corn field! What good thing has ever happened in a corn field?"

Gypsy Vampire: The Final Bloodlust (2009)

"We have no time for that kind of frivolous entertainment."

A really bad short feature film from Conrad Brooks that's a bonus on the docu DVD.

The House by the Cemetery (1981)

"Anne, Mom says you're not dead. Is that true?"

A somewhat famous gorefest from Fulci. In this one, a professor moves to a small New England town with his wife and young son to continue the research of a colleague, who brutally killed his mistress and himself. But when anyone gets close to the basement of his house, they get chopped up. Decent, though not the best of Italian splatter. Mostly a slasher with a dash of supernatural stuff.

Truth or Dare (2017)

"Why us?"

Not the theatrical movie (and probably better from what I've heard), but a cable movie about a haunted version of the party game. Not great, but worth a watch, imo.

Fright Night (2011)

"Don't do anything I wouldn't do. That doesn't narrow it down. That's like, mini-golf and sushi."

Pet Sematary (1989)

"No fair."

Last edited by Space Cop; 11-10-2018 at 03:57 AM.
Old 10-30-2018, 02:21 AM   #7465
Agent Purple
The Illustrated Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Space Cop View Post
MST3K: The Blood Waters of Dr. Z (1971/1999)

"The movie needs a new exhaust system."
Oh god, I remember making my dad watch this in retaliation for him making me watch the Katy Perry bio-doc. That film was boring as shit, even with all the jokes to make it funny (I still remember a few of them, and how my dad laughed pretty good at the one about the pharmacy store being some particular cokehead's rampage).
Old 10-31-2018, 03:45 AM   #7466
Space Cop
The Dandy

Clown (2014)

"It's not a costume. It's skin and hair of a demon."

Hereditary (2018)

"Bind all men to our will as we have bound ourselves for now and ever to yours."

Creepy and cryptic. Not sure if I really liked it, but it definitely will stick with me for a while and is intriguing.

Bela Lugosi Meets a Brooklyn Gorilla (1952)

"Don't mind my friend. He has a one-syllable brain."

Murder Party (2007)

"At least we know what a visual representation of a dial tone looks like."

A traffic cop gets a random invitation to a Halloween-night "murder party" and decides to go only to find out it's a group of wannabe artists who actually do plan to kill him with the hopes of winning a grant from a strange benefactor. An alright horror comedy mostly aiming at pretentious outsider artists.

Monster House (2006)

"No detectable movement."

Hack-o-Lantern [aka Death Mask, aka Halloween Night] (1990)

"We welcome the night."

This movie might have come out in 1987 or 1988 or 1990. I'm getting conflicting data. Anyway, this is an alright one a boy who grows up under the influence of his Satanist grandfather. It's a slasher mystery though since the killer where a mask and robe.

Quote:
Oh god, I remember making my dad watch this in retaliation for him making me watch the Katy Perry bio-doc. That film was boring as shit, even with all the jokes to make it funny . . .
Yeah, I can't imagine watching that without riffs. As it was, I was starting to nod off.

Last edited by Space Cop; 11-10-2018 at 02:12 AM.
Old 11-01-2018, 12:39 AM   #7467
Agent Purple
The Illustrated Man

Haunted House? Isn't that Monster House? Or did you watch a Japanese dub of it?
Old 11-03-2018, 02:21 AM   #7468
Space Cop
The Dandy

Kung Fu Cannibals [aka Raw Force] (1982)

"You should have been destroyed at birth! That's what I get for teaming up with a hippie!"

Available for free on Youtube, but if you're on the fence, check out Dark Corners' review. If that title intrigues you and things like acting or plot aren't that important, you'll have fun.

Godzilla (1954)

"Humans are weak animals."

Happy 64 to the big G (Nov. 3).

The Ugly (1997)

"People pick on me. I don't slice them ear to ear.
-Maybe you should."

The Fly (1986)

"Help me be human."

While having dinner with the folks and handing candy out to kids:

Trick 'r Treat (2009)

"I ate some bad Mexican."

Shaun of the Dead (2004)

"We're coming to get you, Barbara!"

Quote:
Haunted House? Isn't that Monster House? Or did you watch a Japanese dub of it?
Nope. You're right. Fixed and with a better pic (hopefully). I was posting that real quick (actually while in the middle of the movie before taking a break for other stuff) plus I was confusing the movie with Haunted Mansion, which I had just double checked on Google.
Anyway, I thought the movie was alright, but a PG "horror" movie needs to have a little more humor or at least a more compelling story.

Last edited by Space Cop; 11-10-2018 at 03:57 AM.
Old 11-04-2018, 01:18 AM   #7469
Agent Purple
The Illustrated Man

Halloween II (1981)

I'll give a proper review in the Horror thread tomorrow, because I want to turn over a few thoughts and I want to watch some of the extras first.
Old 11-10-2018, 04:36 PM   #7470
Space Cop
The Dandy

Black Panther (2018)

"But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers."

Child's Play (1988)

"This is the end, friend."

Happy 30th (11/9) to Chucky!

Link (1986)

"There are some turds in the hall, clear them up."

Kingsman: The Golden Circle (2017)

"No one's sick enough to shoot a puppy!"

The World End (2013)

"Wow, you really have a selective memory don't you!
-Somebody else was saying that!
Me.
-No, I would have remembered."

V for Vendetta (2005)

"Are you, like, a crazy person?
-I am quite sure they will say so."

I used to watch this every November 5, but started getting tired of it and Moore's leftist paranoia. Still, it is fairly well done and it had been a while.
Old 11-11-2018, 09:39 PM   #7471
Agent Purple
The Illustrated Man

Talladega Knights (2006)

"Hey man, I think your house is haunted."

So I'd never watched the full film until now, not on Netflix or TV, anything. Only reason I have the Blu-ray is because a member at my LCS wanted to get rid of a bunch of his stuff and brought in a bag of Blu-rays, this being among them. Hilariously, this isn't "just a Blu-ray," it specifically is labeled as a promotional copy that is not for rent or sale (still has the full film and some audio-sub options). Apparently, "The first four hundred thousand PlayStation 3 systems included a Blu-ray copy of this movie, a month before the DVD release" (IMDB).

I had a few good chuckles from this, but I have to admit, the Modern-Day Neanderthal attitude portrayed by a bunch of the cast is hard for me to get into; it's just a little too surreal for my tastes that people can actually be this thick-skulled. It works for the humor (mostly), and you get these hilarious back-and-forth arguments/discussions especially between Ferrell and Reilly (grace at dinner/Baby Jesus; the divorce; crepes), but it also kept reminding me of the whole "Not A Sport Centered Around Rednecks" joke about NASCAR.

I did like the characters, though. Gary Cole was a tone-deaf dick absentee dad, Jane Lynch was a tough-love mother/granny, John C. Reilly was a best friend even when he was a worst enemy, Amy Adams was cute as fuck, Michael Clarke Duncan was the emotional support every man needs, Molly Shannon being constantly drunk and randy was a good running gag, and of course, Sacha Baron Cohen was fucking hysterical as Jean Gerard.

Seriously, I loved how Cohen really made the Gerard the most lovably despicable guy in the film. He has the personality of a fish and yet he excels at life, whereas Ferrell is more immediately engaging and yet is a moron chasing success. It's such a great portrayal of the duality and the dynamism between them is wonderful.

Before I forget, child Ricky going for a joy ride in his mom's station wagon was fucking hilarious. Also of note were the outtakes during the credits, especially Reilly's and Duncan's.

Overall a good film, even if a little cliched.
Old 11-11-2018, 10:28 PM   #7472
Space Cop
The Dandy

The Doors (1991)

"Where's your will to be weird?"

Troll 2 (1990)

"If my father discovers you here, he'd cut off your little nuts and eat them."

Eternal (2005)

"Your head is filled with many strange things screaming to get out."

Pretty weak Canadian thriller in which the main suspect imagines herself to be or really is Lady Bathory kept young with blood.

Flying Guillotine 2 (1978)

"Please punish me."

Plane Dead [aka Flight of the Living Dead] (2007)

"Two in the chest, one in the balls. That's whay I say."

Pretty much a crazy concept movie only--cashing in on the simultaneous success of Snakes on a Plane and the zombie craze. I've seen much worse and I don't regret watching it, but I don't recommend it either. Pretty much what you'd expect: a science experiment escapes on a commercial airline and a zombie outbreak starts with all the crumby CGI you'd expect for a low-budget knockoff. I do love both titles though.

Dave (1993)

"And we're walking, and we're walking, and we're stopping."

Quote:
Talladega Knights (2006) ... I had a few good chuckles from this, but I have to admit, the Modern-Day Neanderthal attitude portrayed by a bunch of the cast is hard for me to get into; it's just a little too surreal for my tastes that people can actually be this thick-skulled . . . Overall a good film, even if a little cliched . . .
I like this one and also own it on BD, but I used to be big into NASCAR so a lot of it works on that level. But, yeah, it's not a classic or anything.

Quote:
. . . Gary Cole was a tone-deaf dick absentee dad . . .
But he drives that beautiful Chevelle.

Quote:
. . . Amy Adams was cute as fuck . . .
Funny you say that. That movie was the first time I noticed her and how cute she can be.

Quote:
. . .and of course, Sacha Baron Cohen was fucking hysterical as Jean Gerard. . .
As someone who counts Highlander as their favorite movie I loved that running gag between them.

Last edited by Space Cop; Today at 06:10 PM.
Old 11-12-2018, 02:52 AM   #7473
W.West

Send a message via AIM to W.West Send a message via Yahoo to W.West Send a message via Skype™ to W.West

Not a movie but dont want to resurrect the tv thread so...

The Bodyguard

Finished this. Great little series on Netflix. Thought it was going to be a romantic comedy, so I'm really happy it wasn't. Then I thought it was going to be a poor man's Bourne Identity, but it stays on its own path for the most part and wraps it up nicely.
Old Today, 06:09 PM   #7474
Space Cop
The Dandy

The Crawlers [aka Troll 3 aka Contamination .7] (1993)

"Rum and Coke, easy on the Coke."

One of two movies that claim to be the third Troll movie despite having nothing to do with each other or the first two. There aren't even any trolls (or goblins). It's about radioactive waste turning plant life killer. Pretty bad. Actually, the acting is as bad as #2, but without the fun.

Spider-man (2002)

"With great power comes great responsibility."

Thor: Ragnarok (2017)

"Are you Thor, the god of hammers?"

R.I.P. to Spidey and Thor's comic book daddy.
Old Today, 07:06 PM   #7475
BLACK HAND
Star Sapphire's Love Slave

Man I didn't know they tried passing off a movie as Troll 3. Kind of sounds like a CHUD 2 situation where they replaced actual CHUDs with plain old zombies for some reason, but hey its got a fun "Bud the CHUD" theme song going on.
BLACK HAND is offline   Reply With Quote