Lettercol

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Dave Cormier View Post
    My big regret was that I never got a letter into the Green Lantern LCs before DC did away with them. Of all the books I read or got a letter into, you'd have thought GL would be one of them, right? Nope.
    I think it's mostly because during Kyle's run in the 90s I didn't have anything good to say about what was going on. And as a kid in the 80s, i was problably too young to write letters that were good enough to use. Now that I'm happy and have PLENTY of good things to say about the GL books it's too late!
    I guess there was just something inherrently cool about seeing your name and words "immortalized" in a piece of tangible comics' history. That's something the internet and no message boards can replace.
    Don't feel bad, Johns would have retcon that 2.

Comment

Originally posted by PowerRingE3 View Post
      Don't feel bad, Johns would have retcon that 2.

Comment

I guess there was just something inherrently cool about seeing your name and words "immortalized" in a piece of tangible comics' history. That's something the internet and no message boards can replace.
        I guess that's what it really boils down to. And it's just good fan service.

Comment

Seems like it would be better to bring them back in one page form than to carry on with what DC is doing now. Right now, DC Nation is a waste of space. It's boring enough when Didio is masturbating for a page, but when he hands it off to these guys that work in the office it's even WORSE. I really have NO interest in some guy that I've never heard of filling up a page of...nothing. I could get in there and talk about the shit I took this morning, and it'd be more interesting.

It's not even an ad page going to waste, so there's no revenue to lose. Just do a one page LC with the coming attractions at the bottom like they have now. They can use email, snail mail letters, or mine the message boards for that page, and I'd read it every week.

Comment

Right now, DC Nation is a waste of space.
            yup.

Comment

The dccomics.com website had a page where you could E-mail the editor of any DC comic currently being published, and the idea was that every month they'd publish -- online -- your comments and have them directly addressed by the said editor. They've scrapped even this, so I think they've made their intentions towards lettercols of any sort pretty clear now.

Comment

Originally posted by Andrew NDB View Post
                The dccomics.com website had a page where you could E-mail the editor of any DC comic currently being published, and the idea was that every month they'd publish -- online -- your comments and have them directly addressed by the said editor. They've scrapped even this, so I think they've made their intentions towards lettercols of any sort pretty clear now.
                they must not give a crap what a money payin fan like me has to say.

Comment

Wow, this is really cool, thanks for posting these!

It's funny to see how what they said back then is pretty much what we say now. I wonder if these folks still read the books?

I remember getting two letters printed during Ron Marz's run of GL and being so excited. A few months ago I was rereading the entire run and had forgotten my letters were published. After I finished each issue I would read the letter column and there they were, it was a blast from the past and a nice surprise all over again.

Comment

See, the one time I got a letter published it was so heavily edited I wouldn't have even KNOWN it was my letter, except they put my name after it.

Which I wished they didn't.

Because the edited version sounded totally moronic.

Comment

I had a letter published once. Batman... #511.

Yeah, was heavily, heavily edited. I kinda sounded like a tool there.

Comment

Originally posted by Kevin T Brown View Post
                        Well, I know what happened to at least one fan who wrote letters *cough* 25 some years ago....

He's responding to your post.
                        Kevin, I started reading GL in like 1979, then Flash, then Batman, JLA, etc. It seemed like every book I read had regular letters from you and a short list of people - TM Maple, the Wu sisters, Dale Coe, etc.

How many letters do you think you got published? It had to be at least 50. Maybe more?

Me, I wrote two, they published two. One in GL in the early 1980s (where I suggested they should make Hal and John partners - hells yeah I'm claimin' credit), and one in an issue of I-Bots circa 1997.

Comment

Originally posted by DavidLG1971 View Post
                          Me, I wrote two, they published two. One in GL in the early 1980s (where I suggested they should make Hal and John partners - hells yeah I'm claimin' credit), and one in an issue of I-Bots circa 1997.
                          C'mon... which issues.

Comment

Originally posted by Andrew NDB View Post
                            C'mon... which issues.
                            Jeez, sorry I forgot to respond earlier. I think the GL issue was in the late 180s, 188 or 189. I think the one with Sonar on the cover.

I-Bots? No idea (my comic collection is all in our storage space). But it was one of the very last issues. I only picked it up because I was an Isaac Asimov fan, even moreso than the book's team of Chaykin / Perez. I remember asking about whether they would apply Asimov's ideas more fully into what was then still a Micronauts-ish cape book.

I was also pleased they got Pat Broderick to take over for Perez, as he had been my favorite DC penciller of the 1980s. And I remember suggesting he do the covers. Which in retrospect was Lantern sacrilege - their cover artist was Gil Kane.

Comment

Working...
                            X