The Green Lantern Corps Message Board

Go Back   The Green Lantern Corps Message Board > Miscellaneous > Movies & TV
FLASHCHAT

Movies and TV
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-09-2010, 04:49 AM   #26
Dr. Naysay
Guardian of the Universe
 
Dr. Naysay's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 8,423
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Cormier View Post
BSounds like they are serious about doing one last movie, and I like the idea of less CGI, and more practical effects.
In my "humble" opinion.... that was the single biggest drawback to the last Indy flick.

You could tell when they were constantly green screening backgrounds.

The movie didn't feel real. It felt hollow and empty.
Dr. Naysay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2010, 05:19 AM   #27
Andrew NDB
Shot Caller
 
Andrew NDB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Evergreen State
Posts: 14,054
Blog Entries: 5
Send a message via Yahoo to Andrew NDB
Default

Bring it on, I say.
Andrew NDB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2010, 08:36 AM   #28
TazzMission
Guardian of the Universe
 
TazzMission's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: outer rim territory
Posts: 26,132
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Cormier View Post
Bring on one more. I don't care what anyone says, I had a good time watching KOTCS. Sounds like they are serious about doing one last movie, and I like the idea of less CGI, and more practical effects.
well... more like a 5 and 6... and im glad to hear im not the only one who liked kotcs, i think the problam with alot of people is they fail to realise that the last 3 films themselves were to an extent paranormal and yet its acceptable. movies are meant to be fun
__________________
.................................................. ..........................

I felt a great disturbance in the force, as if millions of WWE Network subscriptions were suddenly cancelled.
TazzMission is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2010, 11:45 AM   #29
JohnnyV
Pictionary Master
 
JohnnyV's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Lexington, KY (gay mayor, biatches)
Posts: 13,805
Blog Entries: 4
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Naysay View Post
In my "humble" opinion.... that was the single biggest drawback to the last Indy flick.

You could tell when they were constantly green screening backgrounds.

The movie didn't feel real. It felt hollow and empty.
the CGI Gophers!!!! the cgi gophers ... *shudders*
__________________


Follow The Nobodies Comic on Facebook or Twitter

Last edited by JohnnyV; 06-09-2010 at 11:48 AM.
JohnnyV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2010, 01:36 PM   #30
Mister Ed
Horse of a Different Color
 
Mister Ed's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Portland, OR
Posts: 14,712
Default

Just keep Lucas far, far away (possibly in another galaxy) from the script. One big problem I had with the last one is the STUPID, STUPID things that were tossed in, presumably for laughs, that just made it seem like a PARODY of other Indiana Jones films in parts. I mean, I know it is tradition for Indy to take a bunch of abuse and keep going, but usually it seems to actually EFFECT him to some degree, and it is something he could believably SURVIVE at least. But when they had him survive a nuclear blast by being THROWN long distances in a REFRIGERATOR, and get out only seeming a little dizzy, we are getting into Wile E. Coyote territory.
__________________
Mister Ed is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2010, 01:41 PM   #31
Robinson
Guardian Of The Universe
 
Robinson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Phoenix, AZ
Posts: 12,073
Default

People bitch about the fridge thing a hell of a lot, but when i saw it in theaters that was a laugh out loud moment.


I think the vines swinging was was less beleivable than the fridge.
__________________
Robinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2010, 01:46 PM   #32
Big Daddy Dave Skywalker
Moisture Farmer
 
Big Daddy Dave Skywalker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: At Toshi Station picking up some power converters
Posts: 16,462
Default

The refrigerator scene pisses off a lot of fans, but to them I simply point out the scen of Indy, Willie, and Short Round falling out of an airplane in an inflatable raft. Or a guy having his heart ripped out and surviving another minute or two after. Or an 800 year old man guarding a cop in a cave. The Indiana Jones series has a long history of stretching the viewer's ability to suspend disbelief.
__________________
Big Daddy Dave Skywalker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2010, 01:49 PM   #33
Robinson
Guardian Of The Universe
 
Robinson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Phoenix, AZ
Posts: 12,073
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Cormier View Post
The refrigerator scene pisses off a lot of fans, but to them I simply point out the scen of Indy, Willie, and Short Round falling out of an airplane in an inflatable raft. Or a guy having his heart ripped out and surviving another minute or two after. Or an 800 year old man guarding a cop in a cave. The Indiana Jones series has a long history of stretching the viewer's ability to suspend disbelief.
Exactly.


I knew there were others from the other movies but couldn't think of them.
__________________
Robinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2010, 01:58 PM   #34
Big Daddy Dave Skywalker
Moisture Farmer
 
Big Daddy Dave Skywalker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: At Toshi Station picking up some power converters
Posts: 16,462
Default

Raiders is the "most believable" of the four movies, and even that had ghosts coming out of a box, melting faces and electricuting people.

And I'm with Naysay on the CGI. I really thought the over the top CGI in KOTCS took away from the charm of the movie. Practical effects are the way to go. Especially since these movies have always been a nod to the quick and cheap serials from the 30s and 40s. I hope they go back to that. I expect some CGI, I just don't want to feel like I'm watching a Star Wars prequel.

Other than that I'm for a final sequel. Online reaction would have you think nobody liked the fourth film, but obviously somebody did, seeing how well it did in the theaters.
__________________
Big Daddy Dave Skywalker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2010, 03:07 PM   #35
JohnnyV
Pictionary Master
 
JohnnyV's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Lexington, KY (gay mayor, biatches)
Posts: 13,805
Blog Entries: 4
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Cormier View Post
Raiders is the "most believable" of the four movies, and even that had ghosts coming out of a box, melting faces and electricuting people.

And I'm with Naysay on the CGI. I really thought the over the top CGI in KOTCS took away from the charm of the movie. Practical effects are the way to go. Especially since these movies have always been a nod to the quick and cheap serials from the 30s and 40s. I hope they go back to that. I expect some CGI, I just don't want to feel like I'm watching a Star Wars prequel.

Other than that I'm for a final sequel. Online reaction would have you think nobody liked the fourth film, but obviously somebody did, seeing how well it did in the theaters.
I would say it was successful because of it being an Indy movie, not being "good". What killed the experience for me was the CGI, and Shia Labeouf. I just can't stand his acting. He's tainted so many properties I loved from the 80's: Transformers, Indiana Jones, and the soon to be Wall Street sequel. I just don't get the appeal.

Another aspect of the movie which I think goes overlooked in terms of why it wasn't as fun or good as the originals is that Harrison Ford is just so old now. The adventure isn't quite as crisp as it was during his younger years.
__________________


Follow The Nobodies Comic on Facebook or Twitter
JohnnyV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2010, 03:14 PM   #36
Robinson
Guardian Of The Universe
 
Robinson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Phoenix, AZ
Posts: 12,073
Default

I think ppl hate on Shia because it's thecool thing to do, Kinda like M. Bay.


I like a lot of the movies he's in.
__________________
Robinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2010, 03:21 PM   #37
Chicago_GL
Weaponer of Qward
 
Chicago_GL's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Tyler, Texas
Posts: 737
Blog Entries: 4
Send a message via Yahoo to Chicago_GL
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Heide View Post
Movies I'd love to see:

Indiana Jones and the Garden of Eden
Indiana Jones and the Spear of Destiny
Indiana Jones and the Library of Alexandria

and of course...

Indiana Jones and the Fate of Atlantis
Although they could try to tie in the Fate of Atlantis with the Triangle
__________________
"Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one." - Albert Einstein


Chicago_GL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2010, 04:12 PM   #38
Mister Ed
Horse of a Different Color
 
Mister Ed's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Portland, OR
Posts: 14,712
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Cormier View Post
The refrigerator scene pisses off a lot of fans, but to them I simply point out the scen of Indy, Willie, and Short Round falling out of an airplane in an inflatable raft. Or a guy having his heart ripped out and surviving another minute or two after. Or an 800 year old man guarding a cop in a cave. The Indiana Jones series has a long history of stretching the viewer's ability to suspend disbelief.
Supernatural stuff is a different matter. It, by its very nature, has its own rules. Had Indy survived the fridge thing because he was carrying a magic amulet of some kind, that would have been a different matter (though that would have been weak, unless the powers of said amulet were a major point of the movie), but that wasn't the case. The raft thing is a good comparison (though it still seems more likely than the fridge to me) but I had so many things to dislike about that movie, that one just sort of slipped my mind.

I just don't like what seems like a tendency to make Indy a cartoonish version of himself. Even though he obviously couldn't die, would it have been too much to ask for him to at least look seriously battered? He looked worse after fighting the mechanic in Raiders than he did here. (And, of course, the vine swinging thing was stupid, too.)

I also thought the overall plot was kind of full of holes. The whole alien thing didn't make much sense to me if I thought about it for even a few seconds. Not least was, if they all "came to life" when the one skull was restored, how did they get frozen in the first place? Somebody stole the head off a living alien? Or they were all frozen for some unexplained reason, then someone stole the head, and putting it back somehow "woke" them even though they had already been frozen with all heads in place? And were they benevolent, or evil? They seemed pretty menacing when they were woken, but supposedly they were giving all kinds of advances to humanity in the past? It just made little sense. The Biblical stuff at least has the benefit of having some established mythology to draw on. Here they made up their own (based loosely on the whole "alien astronaut" thing) yet didn't actually take the time to think it through in a way that made some kind of sense...
__________________
Mister Ed is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2010, 05:06 PM   #39
TazzMission
Guardian of the Universe
 
TazzMission's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: outer rim territory
Posts: 26,132
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Cormier View Post
The refrigerator scene pisses off a lot of fans, but to them I simply point out the scen of Indy, Willie, and Short Round falling out of an airplane in an inflatable raft. Or a guy having his heart ripped out and surviving another minute or two after. Or an 800 year old man guarding a cop in a cave. The Indiana Jones series has a long history of stretching the viewer's ability to suspend disbelief.


or the ark burning a nazis face off or the lava pitt scene in temple of doom. so called die hard fans will accept that but omfg indy survives a nuke blast wile hiding in a lead fridge was unrealistic w/e its just not indy blablabla. or the aliens for christ sake its a fucking movie people. the more hate i hear for indiana jones 4 the more i love the film.
__________________
.................................................. ..........................

I felt a great disturbance in the force, as if millions of WWE Network subscriptions were suddenly cancelled.
TazzMission is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2010, 05:13 PM   #40
Mister Ed
Horse of a Different Color
 
Mister Ed's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Portland, OR
Posts: 14,712
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TazzMission View Post
or the ark burning a nazis face off or the lava pitt scene in temple of doom. so called die hard fans will accept that but omfg indy survives a nuke blast wile hiding in a lead fridge was unrealistic w/e its just not indy blablabla. or the aliens for christ sake its a fucking movie people. the more hate i hear for indiana jones 4 the more i love the film.
Dude, did you not read my post? Supernatural stuff is a different matter.

And I have no problem with aliens being in the movie. I just have problems with them making no sense.
__________________
Mister Ed is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2010, 05:14 PM   #41
TazzMission
Guardian of the Universe
 
TazzMission's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: outer rim territory
Posts: 26,132
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago_GL View Post
Although they could try to tie in the Fate of Atlantis with the Triangle


yea but the bermuda triangle centers around florida and 2 other countries. atlantis was never near that location. they could change the story to something that involves the greek god zeus and set it in greece. i dont mind the bermuda triangle settining
__________________
.................................................. ..........................

I felt a great disturbance in the force, as if millions of WWE Network subscriptions were suddenly cancelled.
TazzMission is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2010, 05:17 PM   #42
TazzMission
Guardian of the Universe
 
TazzMission's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: outer rim territory
Posts: 26,132
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister Ed View Post
Dude, did you not read my post? Supernatural stuff is a different matter.

And I have no problem with aliens being in the movie. I just have problems with them making no sense.


ok the whole point of the aliens centers around 13 skulls scattered across the globe my friend. look up the crystal skull special from scifi on youtube and youll see what im talking about. legend says there will be a time where all 13 skulls will be brought together. now as far as those 13 skeletons in the indy film goes and forms into 1 being thats something lucas has to answer. what lucas did was he took an actual artifact and made a story to fit what people in the real world say about such a thing
__________________
.................................................. ..........................

I felt a great disturbance in the force, as if millions of WWE Network subscriptions were suddenly cancelled.
TazzMission is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2010, 05:21 PM   #43
Robinson
Guardian Of The Universe
 
Robinson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Phoenix, AZ
Posts: 12,073
Default

The 13 skulls are all fake.
__________________
Robinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2010, 05:22 PM   #44
TazzMission
Guardian of the Universe
 
TazzMission's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: outer rim territory
Posts: 26,132
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robinson View Post
The 13 skulls are all fake.


2 out of 7 were fake actually.





+ YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.
__________________
.................................................. ..........................

I felt a great disturbance in the force, as if millions of WWE Network subscriptions were suddenly cancelled.

Last edited by TazzMission; 06-09-2010 at 05:31 PM.
TazzMission is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2010, 10:55 PM   #45
Mister Ed
Horse of a Different Color
 
Mister Ed's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Portland, OR
Posts: 14,712
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TazzMission View Post
ok the whole point of the aliens centers around 13 skulls scattered across the globe my friend. look up the crystal skull special from scifi on youtube and youll see what im talking about. legend says there will be a time where all 13 skulls will be brought together. now as far as those 13 skeletons in the indy film goes and forms into 1 being thats something lucas has to answer. what lucas did was he took an actual artifact and made a story to fit what people in the real world say about such a thing
But in the movie, all but one of the skulls were already in the chamber, so his story has nothing to do with a legend of skulls scattered across the world.
__________________
Mister Ed is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2010, 11:01 PM   #46
Mister Ed
Horse of a Different Color
 
Mister Ed's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Portland, OR
Posts: 14,712
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TazzMission View Post
2 out of 7 were fake actually.
I've seen what seemed like credible reports showing at least 4 of the better known, large scale ones to be modern in origin. I have no idea what exact skulls make up the "official" list of 13, assuming there is one, and that number wasn't just pulled from thin air as being "mysterious". I also read that all the claims that crystal skull legends are widespread amongst ancient cultures are total bunk, manufactured to try to make more credible the claims of ancient origin for the skulls.

Of course, like probably all of us here, I have made no first hand study of this stuff, so I could be getting bad info. But I don't really much care, until such point as somebody presents convincing evidence that these skulls actually have any relevance whatsoever to my life.
__________________
Mister Ed is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2010, 11:03 PM   #47
TazzMission
Guardian of the Universe
 
TazzMission's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: outer rim territory
Posts: 26,132
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister Ed View Post
But in the movie, all but one of the skulls were already in the chamber, so his story has nothing to do with a legend of skulls scattered across the world.


thats in the movie dude. the real legend behind the skulls is that at a certain time in human life when all 13 skulls are together they will prevent armaggeddon. what lucas did in indy 4 was basicly focus on just the 1 skull wile the other 12 were in that pyramid in central mexico. lucas basicly took a real legend and threw in his veiw of what it looks like
__________________
.................................................. ..........................

I felt a great disturbance in the force, as if millions of WWE Network subscriptions were suddenly cancelled.
TazzMission is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2010, 11:05 PM   #48
TazzMission
Guardian of the Universe
 
TazzMission's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: outer rim territory
Posts: 26,132
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister Ed View Post
I've seen what seemed like credible reports showing at least 4 of the better known, large scale ones to be modern in origin. I have no idea what exact skulls make up the "official" list of 13, assuming there is one, and that number wasn't just pulled from thin air as being "mysterious". I also read that all the claims that crystal skull legends are widespread amongst ancient cultures are total bunk, manufactured to try to make more credible the claims of ancient origin for the skulls.

Of course, like probably all of us here, I have made no first hand study of this stuff, so I could be getting bad info. But I don't really much care, until such point as somebody presents convincing evidence that these skulls actually have any relevance whatsoever to my life.


thats why im hoping one day theyll do a exibit here in chicago that way i can see it for myself at the feild museum ive been to every other museum other than the field musem
__________________
.................................................. ..........................

I felt a great disturbance in the force, as if millions of WWE Network subscriptions were suddenly cancelled.
TazzMission is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2010, 12:58 AM   #49
lanternut
Alpha-Lantern
 
lanternut's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Salt Lake City
Posts: 2,156
Blog Entries: 1
Send a message via MSN to lanternut
Default

For me the whole fridge scene was just bad pacing, a mine car jumping the tracks and lucky enough lands back on the tracks... 5 seconds at the most, done.

Indy, who just happens to end up at the Nevada Test Site and right before a test explosion, was stupid and way too long.
__________________
lanternut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2010, 01:13 AM   #50
TazzMission
Guardian of the Universe
 
TazzMission's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: outer rim territory
Posts: 26,132
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by lanternut View Post
For me the whole fridge scene was just bad pacing, a mine car jumping the tracks and lucky enough lands back on the tracks... 5 seconds at the most, done.

Indy, who just happens to end up at the Nevada Test Site and right before a test explosion, was stupid and way too long.


i watched raiders today and i think lucas had indiana 4 planned the way it was seeing as the ark was stored in area 51 at the end of raiders and shown in indy 4 when one crate breaks during the car scene. i still love all the films including indy 4
__________________
.................................................. ..........................

I felt a great disturbance in the force, as if millions of WWE Network subscriptions were suddenly cancelled.
TazzMission is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 06:29 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.3
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.