No announcement yet.

Changes to the original concept

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Since Hal and Kyle normally do wear masks, what that means is that they can drop them when they go to other worlds, and Guy and John need to wear one while they're operating on Earth.

By the time this gets implemented, I hope Baz and Cruz will be doing something else.

Comment

• It seem like many of GL's space-based enemies actually come to Earth at some point, sometimes interacting significantly with Earth-based enemies. If that is the case, and if the point of the mask is to protect a secret identity, then it stands to reason that they should ALSO wear the mask off planet.

Comment

• Originally posted by Trey Strain View Post
        Since Hal and Kyle normally do wear masks, what that means is that they can drop them when they go to other worlds, and Guy and John need to wear one while they're operating on Earth.

By the time this gets implemented, I hope Baz and Cruz will be doing something else.
        Why would John and Guy wear masks? They don't bother with secret identities and haven't since they became full time GLs and left back up status.

Comment

• Originally posted by Mister Ed View Post
          It seem like many of GL's space-based enemies actually come to Earth at some point, sometimes interacting significantly with Earth-based enemies. If that is the case, and if the point of the mask is to protect a secret identity, then it stands to reason that they should ALSO wear the mask off planet.
          +1

Oa is a good place to drop the mask, or in this current era Mogo. I actually wouldn't mind seeing other alien Lanterns in their civies. On Oa there was housing for Lanterns, what always looked like an inner city around the CPB, a cafeteria, as well as another Warriors Bar... they might as well establish it like living/being on a military base. Not everyone is always in uniform and there could always be family of a Lantern on base or a Lantern out of uniform.

This would probably be a human enough angle to where flip-flopping Lanterns on Earth wouldn't be as big of a deal. So long as Hal and Kyle and the rest can ACT human, even on another world, without having to live by the ring in every panel... I think that'd suffice.

~//V\\~

Comment

• It's funny- many of Hal's enemies call him "Jordan" no matter what planet they're on or what sector they're in. A mask won't protect your identity if your adversary is spouting off your real name during a fight.

Comment

• Originally posted by Big Daddy Dave Targaryen I View Post
              Why would John and Guy wear masks? They don't bother with secret identities and haven't since they became full time GLs and left back up status.
              These are changes to the original concept in a reboot. In a reboot, nobody's secret identity would be out of the bag.

If they do it right and put Guy in space, then he'd hardly ever need to wear a mask anyway. But John would need one in the JLA, which is where I think he should go.

Comment

• Eh, I don't like that idea.

Comment

• You can't make many necessary changes in an original concept without a reboot.

There are some things about GL that I'm just not OK with. John and Guy's secret identities being known to the public isn't high on that list, but it's on there. I'm interested in good stories, not in forever honoring calls that were made before most of the current readers were born, and that might have been OK at first but over the passage of many years have become counterproductive.

I'm not talking about the kind of rushed, nonchalant reboot that characterized so much of the New 52, but one with a lot of thought put into it. And certainly not as radical a reboot as the changes that Geoff made slowly and gradually over a very long time.

If nothing else, a reboot would be a damned good way to flush the emotional spectrum, to bring back the Guardians, and to get Baz and Cruz doing something else. Those things alone make one worth doing. In fact they make a reboot vitally needed.
                  Trey Strain
                  Guardian of the Universe
                  Last edited by Trey Strain; 06-08-2017, 06:20 PM.

Comment

• A reboot is probably not needed then. Not if these are the kind of changes you are talking about. Honestly, most of the problems in GL can be waved away by the next writer. John Byrne could fix this shit in 6 pages.

Comment

John Byrne could fix this shit in 6 pages.
                      John Byrne's prime was in the 80's. His Spiderman relaunch or whatever that shit fest a few years back was horrible.

~//V\\~

Comment

A reboot is probably not needed then. Not if these are the kind of changes you are talking about. Honestly, most of the problems in GL can be waved away by the next writer. John Byrne could fix this shit in 6 pages.
                        How would you get the Guardians back? Come on. You get rid of them, then you put Hal in charge, then you put John in charge, and then you put the Guardians back in change?

What are you trying to save? What's to save at this point? Just reboot the damned thing!

What's the better way to get rid of the emotional spectrum than by saying that there never was one? What's the better way to give Baz and Cruz another job than by saying that they never were Green Lanterns?

John Byrne would love to reboot it I'm sure, and his changes would make Geoff's look cosmetic by comparison.
                        Trey Strain
                        Guardian of the Universe
                        Last edited by Trey Strain; 06-08-2017, 06:33 PM.

Comment

• Not to mention -- A REBOOT WOULD SELL A LOT OF COMICS!

Which is what DC Comics is in business to do.

Guys on message boards will always resist the proposal of a reboot, but a reboot will always sell a huge load of comics, won't it?

They'll resist it because that money won't go into their pocket or into their business. If it would, then they'd be gung-ho for it.

Before Rebirth was launched, people at CBR were STILL bitching about the New 52, on the grounds that it had boosted the company's sales for "only" five years. I'm sure they would reject the chance to increase their own incomes, if the increase would last for "only" five years...
                          Trey Strain
                          Guardian of the Universe
                          Last edited by Trey Strain; 06-08-2017, 06:57 PM.

Comment

• Meh. I'd rather just move forward.

They brought back Oa before, they can do it again. They brought back the Guardians before, they can do it again. The emotional spectrum can just have it's ties to the universe severed in a story and never gets used again. Guardians return (there used to be 36 of them and they got whittled down to 2 over the years) by saying they left Oa on a mission maybe 20 years ago and are now coming back to fix the mess their brothers left behind. And they aren't evil, and we move on. The returning Guardians remind everyone that the GLC's power source until only recently came from their bodies. The Guardians powered the CPB, the CPB powered the individual lanterns, and the individual lanterns powered the GL's rings. Let them go back to that. Each Guardian powered 100 rings, which is why there were 36 Guardians and 3,600 GLs.

The returning Guardians can remind everyone that willpower has never BEEN an emotion just to remind readers how stupid Johns' retcons were. It was just an experiment to find alternate power sources for the rings (and a stupid one).

Your reboot idea sounds more like your desire to see a book with your fanfic ideas implemented into it. I wouldn't want that for the GL franchise. GL doesn't need it. Just move forward.

Comment

Meh. I'd rather just move forward.

They brought back Oa before, they can do it again. They brought back the Guardians before, they can do it again. The emotional spectrum can just have it's ties to the universe severed in a story and never gets used again. Guardians return (there used to be 36 of them and they got whittled down to 2 over the years) by saying they left Oa on a mission maybe 20 years ago and are now coming back to fix the mess their brothers left behind. And they aren't evil, and we move on. The returning Guardians remind everyone that the GLC's power source until only recently came from their bodies. The Guardians powered the CPB, the CPB powered the individual lanterns, and the individual lanterns powered the GL's rings. Let them go back to that. Each Guardian powered 100 rings, which is why there were 36 Guardians and 3,600 GLs.

The returning Guardians can remind everyone that willpower has never BEEN an emotion just to remind readers how stupid Johns' retcons were. It was just an experiment to find alternate power sources for the rings (and a stupid one).

Your reboot idea sounds more like your desire to see a book with your fanfic ideas implemented into it. I wouldn't want that for the GL franchise. GL doesn't need it. Just move forward.
                              By your own admission you haven't read any of that, so you shouldn't play that card. There's just nothing to move forward from now. The tire has been patched so many times that it can't be patched any more. There are patches on top of patches on top of patches. Look at the sales. The thing is in the toilet and swirling.

I understand where you're coming from. You don't want someone to take it over and probably make a lot of jackleg changes in a reboot, just so he can put his mark on it. I also don't put a lot of trust in some random writer to do it right, and DC probably would hire a random writer, if not Geoff himself.

That's what this thread is for. It's how a reboot can be done best, and I've solicited anyone's ideas about it. But from a business viewpoint there's no argument against its being done. The only objections to a reboot are personal, and are not about business.
                              Trey Strain
                              Guardian of the Universe
                              Last edited by Trey Strain; 06-09-2017, 04:03 PM.

Comment

Unless Vol 2 has been retconned out John's identity came out on Live Tv [Technically his Mother kind of outted him before hand iirc]

Comment

Working...
                                X