The Green Lantern Corps Message Board

Go Back   The Green Lantern Corps Message Board > Green Lanternverse > Green Lantern Vol. 2
FLASHCHAT

GL Volume 2

Old 07-20-2008, 07:34 AM   #1
Andrew NDB
Shot Caller

Send a message via Yahoo to Andrew NDB
Default Hal's first influence by Parallax (GL Vol. 2 #224)

We go back now to GL Vol. 2, #224 (final issue of the volume).

Here Hal enters the Central Power Battery, immediately after Sinestro is executed on Oa and the CPB is about to implode.

Hal nears the core inside the Central Power Battery.

Hal reaches the core and sees the actual Yellow Impurity. We learned in Rebirth that this is, in fact, Parallax itself.

We see that Sinestro's seperated consciousness has grafted itself onto the Yellow Impurity/Parallax here, or at least is controlling it directly. An early foreshadowing of the Master/Pet relationship that Sinestro and Parallax seem to have later on.

Hal, no, stop!

Oops... looks like Hal Jordan himself has just released, or at least certainly awakened the Yellow Impurity/Parallax.

Rebirth would have us believe that this is the point where Parallax begins to influence Hal. When you see Hal next in GL Vol. 3, #1 (the ACW comics notwithstanding) he has the white sideburns.
Andrew NDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2008, 02:29 PM   #2
GLC2814.4

Got me believing it. . Funny you posted this as I was just thinking when all the Sinestro "first time executed threads" started popping up, I thought back to this issue. It certainly does seem like they took some plot from a living yellow impurity that bonded with Sinestro's soul. Where it starts to differ dramatically, pretty much up until Kyle got the ring, was that it was always told that the yellow impurity was a NECESSARY component of the green power, but as we know now, its just collected willpower juju from living things, and it doesn't need to have a yellow impurity. For some reason I prefer explanations like the willpower/fear than the "green plasma made by the little blue dudes and/or the planet" story, only because its fleshed out and definitive. But that's just me

Last edited by GLC2814.4; 07-20-2008 at 02:30 PM. Reason: Cuz I spell like a three year old
Old 07-20-2008, 02:30 PM   #3
Lishego

Nice, now if only they build on what was done before instead of just making new stuff up, and pretending the older issues just didn't happen.
Old 07-20-2008, 08:50 PM   #4
Limelantern
Better than both the Salami and the Bologna combined

Send a message via Skype™ to Limelantern

But if the battery exploded, wouldn't Parallax have escaped anyway? And with lots of powerless GL's around he could have had a field day.
Old 07-20-2008, 08:57 PM   #5
Darth_Andrea
Owned by Natu

Send a message via MSN to Darth_Andrea

Here's the thing though, as of the time that happened Parallax wasn't even a glimmer in a writers dreams yet, thus Geoff can as he tends to do, refer to those events but do it in a slightly twisted way that deviates from what was actually printed so it works for his story.

Darth_Andrea

Last edited by Darth_Andrea; 07-20-2008 at 09:01 PM.
Darth_Andrea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2008, 09:05 PM   #6
Andrew NDB
Shot Caller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Limelantern View Post
But if the battery exploded, wouldn't Parallax have escaped anyway? And with lots of powerless GL's around he could have had a field day.
The battery didn't explode back then... just decayed. Weak that it couldn't generate new rings, but still enough energy in it that the existing GLs with rings could still be powered.
Old 07-20-2008, 09:06 PM   #7
Limelantern

I know Parallax wasn't even dreamed up yet, but saying it was all Hal's fault is going kind of far. The battery would have blown up and Parallax would have escaped anyway if we are still comparing this event to the current story.
Old 07-20-2008, 09:13 PM   #8
Andrew NDB
Shot Caller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Limelantern View Post
I know Parallax wasn't even dreamed up yet, but saying it was all Hal's fault is going kind of far. The battery would have blown up and Parallax would have escaped anyway if we are still comparing this event to the current story.
Oh, I think you misunderstand. I'm talking about the first influence of Parallax, not the possession (that didn't occur until ET)... according to Geoff, Parallax was still influencing Hal even before he blew up the CPB in GL Vol. 3 #50, and the white sideburns were an indicator of this influence.

After this issue (the scans here) is when the white sideburns and the first influence begins. And as you can see... he's the one that releases/awakens Parallax here when he's punching that hole.
Old 07-20-2008, 10:27 PM   #9
Jack-O-Lantern
Master Customizer

Wow, so all this Parallax entity stuff really works more than some of us would like it too. Good on Geoff for connecting all of this and slightly adding to certain elements without deviating to far from what was there to start with.

I really, really need to start reading the old stuff. Unfortunately in all my years of reading GL. I've yet to read anything before Vol 3. So this is all new to me. Great stuff. Definitely another good find Andrew.
Jack-O-Lantern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2008, 11:48 PM   #10
listerine

How's it Hal's fault? Was Hal suposed to let Sinestro win?
Old 07-21-2008, 12:29 AM   #11
Andrew NDB
Shot Caller

Quote:
Originally Posted by listerine View Post
How's it Hal's fault? Was Hal suposed to let Sinestro win?
Well, sure he didn't know what would happen afterward, but he's still the one that pressed the button, so to speak.

It's like, there's a serial killer on the loose. The only one that can catch him is an even bigger serial killer, who's in prison. I let out the serial killer to catch the first one... but the second serial killer is still free. It's still my fault that I let the second serial killer out, isn't it?
Old 07-21-2008, 01:31 AM   #12
listerine

Yes, but you're example isn't the same as Hal/Parallax. If you willingly set a serial killer free, then you knew what you're doing. Hal had no way of knowing what would happen. If anyone's to blame, wouldn't it be the Guardian for not warning Hal?
Old 07-21-2008, 01:35 AM   #13
Andrew NDB
Shot Caller

Quote:
Originally Posted by listerine View Post
Yes, but you're example isn't the same as Hal/Parallax. If you willingly set a serial killer free, then you knew what you're doing. Hal had no way of knowing what would happen. If anyone's to blame, wouldn't it be the Guardian for not warning Hal?
There were no Guardians present, they'd all left since "Millennium" to mate with the Zamarons. Hal charged into the core with no thought as to potential consequences.
Old 07-21-2008, 01:37 AM   #14
listerine

Because too much was at stake and he didn't have time to hesitate. I haven't read the issue, but I got that much from the scans.
Old 07-21-2008, 01:55 AM   #15
Limelantern

Then the Guardians left a handgun in the reach of children, I don't believe this is Hal's fault.
Old 07-21-2008, 05:28 AM   #16
Raker616
Corps Honor Guard

I think Andrew might need a new nickname, how about Mr. Fantastic? because that was a big reach.
Old 07-21-2008, 06:15 AM   #17
GLC2814.4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raker616 View Post
I think Andrew might need a new nickname, how about Mr. Fantastic? because that was a big reach.
Funny, and slightly true. Andrew got the "I hate Hal T-Shirt on today".

Saw Dark Knight again today, btw, better the second time around.
Old 07-21-2008, 07:42 AM   #18
Andrew NDB
Shot Caller

Quote:
Originally Posted by GLC2814.4 View Post
Funny, and slightly true. Andrew got the "I hate Hal T-Shirt on today".
In an alternate dimension where acknowledging something being at least partially one's fault equates to hatred of them, sure.
Old 07-21-2008, 03:38 PM   #19
Toriach
Sinestro's Sparring Partner

Personally first off I think the word fault as some have used it should be replaced with responsibility. Hal is by his very nature a responsible person and I'm sure that he feels the weight of that responsibility where Paralax is concerned. Fault however lies with the Guardians. If the Guardians had been forthcoming about the nature of the impurity in the first place then Hal would have been fully aware and better able to choose. But they passed it off as if it were nothing but a part of the lanterns technology. So how was Hal to know?

Ultimately beyond that I don't see where Andrew is hating anything. He's merely pointing out the rather neat way that Geoff's continuity adjustment does work rather nicely with what had gone before.

Peace
And
Long
Life

Toriach
Old 07-21-2008, 03:43 PM   #20
Andrew NDB
Shot Caller

The Guardians did forbid any GL from entering the Central Power Battery.
Old 07-21-2008, 05:19 PM   #21
listerine

Ok guys, there's no reason to pick on Andrew, this is simply a debate.
It seems to me from the scanned panels that Hal had to act fast to save the day. I think it said the whole universe was at stake. Whatever consequences to entering the CPB Hal did or did not foresee would have probably been moot anyway if he didn't end the immediate threat. I just don't think its fair to blame him for doing the only thing he could think of in a desperate situation.
Old 07-21-2008, 05:21 PM   #22
Martley of 2814

Hal is totally guilty. Look at him.

He's guilty. Maybe not of what this thread is saying he is........but still guilty of something!
Old 07-21-2008, 05:31 PM   #23
Mister Ed
Horse of a Different Color

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew NDB View Post
The Guardians did forbid any GL from entering the Central Power Battery.
Yeah, but Hal probably figured, "I've already been in there like 3 or 4 times with no ill effect, so what the hey." (He had even been in there previously in established continuity at that point, and of course we got more times retconned in after the fact in Emerald Dawn and Willworld.)
Old 07-21-2008, 05:39 PM   #24
Andrew NDB
Shot Caller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister Ed View Post
Yeah, but Hal probably figured, "I've already been in there like 3 or 4 times with no ill effect, so what the hey." (He had even been in there previously in established continuity at that point, and of course we got more times retconned in after the fact in Emerald Dawn and Willworld.)
Well, you might be able to dance around by the edge of a cliff OK... but sooner or later you're going to fall in.

Willworld, Willworld... isn't that an Elseworlds?
Old 07-21-2008, 05:58 PM   #25
Mister Ed
Horse of a Different Color

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew NDB View Post
Well, you might be able to dance around by the edge of a cliff OK... but sooner or later you're going to fall in.

Willworld, Willworld... isn't that an Elseworlds?
Not officially. It has been contradicted on many points, but if that made things Elseworlds, Geoff would be retroactively making Elseworlds every month.