The Green Lantern Corps Message Board

Go Back   The Green Lantern Corps Message Board > Green Lanternverse > Green Lantern Vol. 2
FLASHCHAT

GL Volume 2

Old 09-10-2009, 09:12 PM   #1
TEN_RINGS
Weaponer of Qward

Default green lanterns small mask

always wondered how the hell green lanterns mask kept his identity secret i mean come on those types of masks are so small if you know hal and saw gl it would be obvious its almost as bad as supermans glasses.......thats why i always liked the crab mask.......it would have a better chance of concealing your identity.
TEN_RINGS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2009, 09:17 PM   #2
Spectre216
Green Lantern Initiate

first off- use the power of the period because that whole first sentence is a run on and is exhaustive and confusing to read.

secondly- It still covers a decent chunk of his face so i could see how most people may not get, plus i'm sure most of coast city's residents don't know Hal Jordan.
Spectre216 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2009, 09:22 PM   #3
Mister Ed
Horse of a Different Color

Quote:
Originally Posted by TEN_RINGS View Post
always wondered how the hell green lanterns mask kept his identity secret i mean come on those types of masks are so small if you know hal and saw gl it would be obvious its almost as bad as supermans glasses.......thats why i always liked the crab mask.......it would have a better chance of concealing your identity.
I'd say with extended exposure, sure. But I maintain that, for a while at least, the fact that you are not EXPECTING GL to be Hal would be enough to keep you from recognizing him in that context, even though the disguise is somewhat flimsy. I think if my own MOM were GL, as long as she changed her voice and wore SOME kind of mask, I wouldn't recognize her for a while, since I would have no reason to expect her to be GL. It is sometimes difficult to recognize things out of their expected context, even with minimal (or even NO) alteration of appearance- depending on how familiar you are with them, and how out-of-context you see them.
Old 09-11-2009, 12:36 AM   #4
TEN_RINGS
Weaponer of Qward

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spectre216 View Post
first off- use the power of the period because that whole first sentence is a run on and is exhaustive and confusing to read.

secondly- It still covers a decent chunk of his face so i could see how most people may not get, plus i'm sure most of coast city's residents don't know Hal Jordan.
well you are going to hate most of my posts then since i dont think i use proper punctuation i will try to do so from now on but i am a slow learner and also it doesnt cover that much of his face at all but i did think maybe the green aura that surrounds him makes it difficult to see who he is.
Old 09-11-2009, 02:14 AM   #5
Spectre216
Green Lantern Initiate

Quote:
well you are going to hate most of my posts then since i dont think i use proper punctuation i will try to do so from now on but i am a slow learner and also it doesnt cover that much of his face at all but i did think maybe the green aura that surrounds him makes it difficult to see who he is.
well you are going to hate most of my posts then since i don't think i use proper punctuation. i will try to do so from now on but i am a slow learner. I digress, It doesn't cover that much of his face at all, but i did think maybe the green aura that surrounds him makes it difficult to see who he is.

^this is all i ask.
Spectre216 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2009, 02:13 PM   #6
logant26
Kyle's Nude Model

Quote:
Someone failed english class.
logant26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2009, 01:28 AM   #7
Lord Malvolio
Corps Honor Guard

Send a message via Yahoo to Lord Malvolio

I am more surprised Carol never figured it out... had a crush on Hal AND GL? And actually thought it was two different guys that happen to be exactly the same hieght and build, same hair style, same voice and were in same area during problems? Ahh the inocent 60's....

Lord Malvolio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2009, 04:41 AM   #8
TEN_RINGS
Weaponer of Qward

Quote:
Originally Posted by logant26 View Post
Someone failed english class.
It should be public knowledge that I did indeed fail english class. However I see no reason for you to waste a post saying that. You didnt even have anything to say about the topic at hand. I know it sucks being kyles nude model, but you dont need to put up fake posts to get your numbers up.

for the record I love the small mask it suits hal perfectly. the mask just reminds me of how silly the clark kent and superman thing is,and its the same with gl.
Old 09-26-2009, 10:43 AM   #9
myuserid
Lantern Hex

I just always assumed that nobody recognized Hal in his small green mask because the writers want it that way.
Old 09-26-2009, 11:23 PM   #10
Darth_Andrea
Owned by Natu

Send a message via MSN to Darth_Andrea

Um...Clark Kent....Glasses....Need I really say more...It's a comic

Darth_Andrea
Old 06-28-2010, 05:44 AM   #11
Ezra Kane

Quote:
Originally Posted by myuserid View Post
I just always assumed that nobody recognized Hal in his small green mask because the writers want it that way.
Priceless . . . just what I was thinking.

When it comes to comics, which are in my opinion escapism at it's best, it's usually best to not over-think the simple things. The mask looked good with the costume when designed. End of story.
Old 06-28-2010, 10:44 PM   #12
chivalrous
Corps Honor Guard

What I found funny was the moment in Green Arrow #31 when Nudocerda removes Ollie's mask and is genuinely surprised.
To say that Ollie's disguise was laughable is an understatement, especially when you consider how high profile Ollie was. Waxed moustache? Check; Excessively groomed goatee? Check; short blond hair receding at the front? Just about covered by a cap.

Stormageddon added by Kuhan
chivalrous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2010, 01:11 AM   #13
Onabyrcse
Corpse Trainee

Quote:
Originally Posted by chivalrous View Post
What I found funny was the moment in Green Arrow #31 when Nudocerda removes Ollie's mask and is genuinely surprised.
To say that Ollie's disguise was laughable is an understatement, especially when you consider how high profile Ollie was. Waxed moustache? Check; Excessively groomed goatee? Check; short blond hair receding at the front? Just about covered by a cap.
ROFLMAO. That & super kent's glasses are the 2 stupidest identities I can think of the top of my hat.

I go For the Crab mask or a whole cowl. I hate little masks like the one Jordan & robin use, speedy, bucky etc etc. They are just Stupid.
Onabyrcse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2010, 04:46 PM   #14
Bolerathon
Avant Guardian

Nothing hides your identity quite like sticking a green sega genesis controller to your face. I just thought it was funny in "Rebirth" how the ring gives Hal his mask rather than him choosing it. The ring clearly thinks earth people are blind or just thick.
Old 07-01-2010, 05:15 PM   #15
Gauntlet101010
Alpha-Lantern

Eh, it's a super hero conciet. It's never bothered me at all. Even for Green Arrow. Although it's funny when you have characters who completely see through the disguise.
Gauntlet101010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2010, 12:49 AM   #16
lokeinlyesmith

I used to work at PetCo. One lazy Friday afternoon, close to the end of my shift, this guy wanders in, with a friend. His friend has two dogs with him, the friend and the dogs walk to the back of the store to look at collars. The first guy wanders over to the Small Animals section. He's lookin' at the ferrets. I walk up and ask if I can help. He said he was just looking. He thought they were cute, but he was from California and they're illegal there. I got one out, let him hold it, talked about ferrets and what it takes to care for them, what they're like as they get older, yadda yadda yadda. I spent prolly a good 45 minutes just talking to the guy.

He looks at his watch, says he's gotta go. He pauses. He goes "Ya know, I'd totally buy one of these, but sometimes they search the tour bus when we get back into Cali." I said "Tour bus? Are you in a band?" He said. "yeah" all nonchalantly. I said "Which band?" He replies, "Tesla." And walks off.

It wasn't until he SAID it, that it occurred to me, and I finally recognized him, as the drummer for Tesla. One of my favorite bands.

The guy wasn't in costume. Wasn't wearing a mask. Wasn't trying to conceal who he was. It was because he was SO out of place, for me, in my head, that I totally assigned a different identity to this guy. I didn't see it as HIM until he pointed it out, and I just stood there. With my mouth open. Like a moron, and watched the drummer of Tesla meet back up with the Bass player and the Bass player's two dogs, and walk out of my PetCo in Tulsa, Oklahoma.

I kinda feel like this, for me, is why I can suspend my belief when Lois Lane looks at Superman and can't see Clark Kent.
Old 07-02-2010, 01:17 AM   #17
Marvelous Iggy
God Of Turtles

Send a message via Skype™ to Marvelous Iggy

Take it from me, when you change your hair, not where glasses and change your body movements. People don't recognize you
Marvelous Iggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2010, 02:58 AM   #18
Bolerathon
Avant Guardian

Or if you're a woman who wears makeup all the time, then don't wear any and dress differently and people won't recognise you.
Old 07-03-2010, 01:36 AM   #19
chivalrous
Corps Honor Guard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bolerathon View Post
Nothing hides your identity quite like sticking a green sega genesis controller to your face....
Three button or six button?

Old 07-03-2010, 01:47 AM   #20
lokeinlyesmith

Quote:
Three button or six button?
Old 07-03-2010, 03:07 AM   #21
chivalrous
Corps Honor Guard

Quote:
Originally Posted by lokeinlyesmith View Post
That brings back some memories, but of the Master System rather than the Genesis

Old 07-03-2010, 03:10 AM   #22
lokeinlyesmith

Quote:
That brings back some memories, but of the Master System rather than the Genesis

My bad. Fix'd.

Either way, that would look pretty funny on your face.
Old 08-16-2010, 09:38 PM   #23
Wolden Spoons
Alan's Drycleaner

I always fear for Clark (as much as you can fear Superman coming to harm lol) being out in the rain and his glasses get wet.

He takes them off to clean them, a random person shouts out that he's superman. Clark puts them back on and looks around saying where?

Genius disguise. I'm gonna get me a pair
Old 08-17-2010, 05:41 AM   #24
redjirachi
Star Sapphire's Love Slave

The glasses don't hide Superman's identity.No,he just uses a tiny amount of heat vision to remove the part of the brain that makes you realise glasses are a stupid disguise
redjirachi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2010, 02:03 PM   #25
Space Cop
The Dandy

I agree that it's all about context. I once saw someone I grew up with in church at my college and because it was not where I was used to seeing her it took me about 5 minutes to figure out who she was. And, for the most part, the heroes don't hang out with civies. It's not like they're hitting the bar with them.
I thought "Birthright"'s explanation of Superman's disguise, which is really a carefully thought out alternate personality (not just glasses), was very plausible. It fits with those sociology experiments where people have completely different views of people based on whether they wore glasses or a suit.