With apathy 0 0%
Other (explain) 0 0%
He doesn't remember, he was too high on himself 4 44.44%
Voters: 9. You may not vote on this poll

Old 06-28-2019, 07:42 PM   #1
Andrew NDB
Shot Caller

Send a message via Yahoo to Andrew NDB
Default How do you think Geoff Johns reflects on his time writing GL?

In his heart of hearts, when he reflects back at his comic career (that is, when he has time... it must be really busy to be the guy who was promoted away from being CCO of DC and DC Entertainment President to write a script for GLC that WB has no obligation to make)... how do you think he looks at what he did with the GL comics?

Fondly?

With regrets?

Apathy?

Indigestion?
Andrew NDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2019, 08:29 PM   #2
Trey Strain
Guardian of the Universe

I voted for the last one. If there's one thing you can be sure about with Johns, it's that he'll never show any respect for anything that his predecessors wrote. He thinks it's all a huge pile of gunk that exists only for him to gratuitously "improve," down to the most insignificant detail.
Trey Strain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2019, 08:30 PM   #3
Andrew NDB
Shot Caller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trey Strain View Post
I voted for the last one. If there's one thing you can be sure about with Johns, it's that he'll never show any respect for anything that his predecessors wrote. He thinks it's all a huge pile of gunk that exists only for him to gratuitously "improve," down to the most insignificant detail.
Old 06-28-2019, 10:01 PM   #4
Michael Heide
Heide Finition

Agree on all counts.
Michael Heide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2019, 04:09 AM   #5
Star-Lantern
Green Lantern

He probably considers himself the greatest Green Lantern writer, and there is certainly some basis for such thinking. It is the work that he will probably be most remembered for if he doesn't reinvigorate his career somehow, and he's likely the most influential and successful DC writer of the last 15 years. Not that his work is influential on other creators in the way that Neal Adams' and Jim Lee's were, but that he influenced the DC Universe much more than any other writer of his time. I still think he sucks, though.

After everything he's done, you have to sit back and really consider what he has really contributed to comics. His biggest contribution would be Atrocitus, which, for a creator of his stature, is pretty sad. As successful as he was, I don't think he'll ever be recognized as one of the true greats of comics like Alan Moore, Neal Adams, John Romita, Neil Gaiman, Todd McFarlane, John Byrne, Stan Lee, Jim Shooter, Chris Claremont, Curt Swan, and plenty of other legends. Geoff Johns isn't talented or creative enough to be up at that level. Literally, his best idea was probably the Emotional Spectrum, and that's a pretty darn stupid idea, in my opinion.

Last edited by Star-Lantern; 06-29-2019 at 04:20 AM.
Star-Lantern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2019, 05:14 AM   #6
Big Daddy Dave Skywalker
Moisture Farmer

I imagine he thinks of himself as the modern day Gardner Fox.
Old 06-29-2019, 05:26 AM   #7
Star-Lantern
Green Lantern

I would say that Ivan Reis is the person who deserves the most credit for Geoff Johns' Green Lantern run. Not Johns. Not Van Sciver. Ivan Reis was the true all-star of that period. He was the most talented by a good margin, and it seems to me that he definitely worked the hardest. That guy is actually really incredible, and I find I don't say that about a lot of comics artists these days.

Last edited by Star-Lantern; 06-29-2019 at 05:32 AM.
Star-Lantern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2019, 07:24 AM   #8
Michael Heide
Heide Finition

I'd bet that years from now, Atrocitus will be as much of a footnote as, say, Legion or Effigy.

Dex-Starr is the one who will be around when we're all gone.
Old 06-29-2019, 07:59 AM   #9
Andrew NDB
Shot Caller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Heide View Post
Dex-Starr is the one who will be around when we're all gone.
That's a pretty profound thought, actually.
Old 06-29-2019, 03:16 PM   #10
Trey Strain
Guardian of the Universe

Let me give credit where it's due. Johns sold A LOT of comics, which after all was what he was getting paid to do.

He sold them because he consistently had the most popular artists on his titles, and because anyone who had shit for brains knew that DC was stupid to flush Hal and the Corps for ten years. But hey, he sold them.
Old 06-29-2019, 05:15 PM   #11
Ωmega Man
Guardian of the Universe

Everybody knows the best artist can't make a masterpiece in comics if the writer can't tell a story that's worth a damn. GJ has had a few popular artists but to say Kollins, Sedowski, Morales, Mahnke, etc. are "the most popular artists" is a bit of a stretch. Fury of Firestorm featured art from EVS... and it didn't do too good. Ivan Reis was on Cyborg... there's another title where the artist couldn't make fans pick up the book.

Geoff likely looks back at everything he's done believing he wrote the book on franchising comic characters. He's currently doing the same thing with Shazam that he did with Green Lantern, namely expanding beyond the original hero to create newer versions for a more diverse audience. There's seven or however many different colored Corps now. There's also seven Shazams sporting different colored suits. This approach has been all over the place since Geoff became a household name, but to varying degrees of success and failure. EVS attempted it with the multiple Firestorms angle and it didn't catch on with readers [I loved the concept though!]. Over at Marvel we got multiple new Hulks in record time with Red Hulk, Red She Hulk, Skarr, the Ebon Hulk from Defenders, A-Bomb, etc. There's also the Deadpool Corps that completely ripped off the original GL pitch in that you just needed more Deadpools in different colored suits. And then there's Spider-verse that essentially works the same way... multiple versions of the same type of hero so everybody has their own.
Ωmega Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2019, 06:49 PM   #12
Trey Strain
Guardian of the Universe

Also, after a certain point, Geoff got plum assignments. People forget that he wrote a Hawkman comic that tanked.

I think it's a problem that DC pretty much lets the most popular writers and artists decide which comics they'll work on. They're working for DC, not the other way around. So they should go on the marginal titles, where they'll be most likely to move the needle, and not on the most popular ones, where they probably won't.
Old 06-29-2019, 07:34 PM   #13
Michael Heide
Heide Finition

Spider-Verse is more of a riff on Captain Britain though, given the multiverse angle. To pin that on Johns is... bold.
Old 06-29-2019, 10:35 PM   #14
Ωmega Man
Guardian of the Universe

Johns laid out the blueprint for giant crossovers/arcs with his work on Green Lantern. Had it not been as big as it was during the War of Light/Blackest Night, Spider-verse would've likely been a lot smaller in scale. Marvel was paying attention, and now we've had Spider-verse, it's sequel, and Venom-verse and they've been making bank.
Old 06-30-2019, 04:50 AM   #15
Andrew NDB
Shot Caller

He's always hidden behind A list artists beyond short spats. He owes everything to Ethan Van Sciver and Ivan Reis.
Old 06-30-2019, 05:41 AM   #16
Michael Heide
Heide Finition

Exactly.
Old 06-30-2019, 07:46 AM   #17
W.West

Send a message via AIM to W.West Send a message via Yahoo to W.West Send a message via Skype™ to W.West

Ivan was a nobody before Secret Origin though. Philip Tan wasn't a name until Agent Orange. Geoff has never been made by the artists, but he definitely NEVER had any bad ones. He's great at picking collaborators.

I'm sure he looks back at his time with GL more than fondly. We wouldn't have a "DC Rebirth" if that weren't the case. I'm sure his only regret is that Brightest Day didn't lead to anything or that the GL movie didn't keep pushing the momentum forward.
Old 07-09-2019, 12:35 PM   #18
Rotten2thecorps
Alpha-Lantern

The guy saved Green Lantern,and elevated it. GL at it's best sold steady. Geoff Made it a success. And at the beginning his run was great. GL was in the hands of some one who actually liked GL. He just over reached. He hinted at stuff and never gave us a payoff. I blame DC just as much as I blame him though. They saw money in the events and got greedy.

Not every choice he made was good, but he was the only one to treat GL like an A-list hero. Something that had not been done sine the way back times.
Old 07-09-2019, 06:47 PM   #19
Andrew NDB
Shot Caller

Quote:
Originally Posted by W.West View Post
Ivan was a nobody before Secret Origin though.
What, before Green Lantern: Secret Origin? You're kidding me, right?

Quote:
Philip Tan wasn't a name until Agent Orange.
He wasn't a name, but he did A-level art.

Quote:
I'm sure he looks back at his time with GL more than fondly. We wouldn't have a "DC Rebirth" if that weren't the case.
Wouldn't we also not have had "Flashpoint" (you know, the event that created the New 52) without him?
Old 07-09-2019, 03:01 PM   #20
Michael Heide
Heide Finition

After Kyle got over his rookie feet of clay, both Marz and Morrison (in JLA) treated him like A-List. Then Winick and Raab destroyed Kyle, so something had to be done. Geoff was just lucky that it was him who was allowed to do the next big status quo change, anyone with half a brain could have made GL as a franchise successful again without cluttering it with his shit ideas.
Old 07-09-2019, 11:40 PM   #21
Rotten2thecorps
Alpha-Lantern

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Heide View Post
After Kyle got over his rookie feet of clay, both Marz and Morrison (in JLA) treated him like A-List. Then Winick and Raab destroyed Kyle, so something had to be done. Geoff was just lucky that it was him who was allowed to do the next big status quo change, anyone with half a brain could have made GL as a franchise successful again without cluttering it with his shit ideas.
Yet no one ever did.Green Lantern was never a top seller. Until Geoff and Ethan.
Old 07-11-2019, 01:25 AM   #22
Ωmega Man
Guardian of the Universe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rotten2thecorps View Post
Yet no one ever did.Green Lantern was never a top seller. Until Geoff and Ethan.
Um.... what?! During the height of the Kyle era, Green Lantern was the most popular and best selling title that didn't feature Batman or Superman.
Old 07-11-2019, 06:07 PM   #23
Andrew NDB
Shot Caller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ωmega Man View Post
Um.... what?! During the height of the Kyle era, Green Lantern was the most popular and best selling title that didn't feature Batman or Superman.
Yeah. They don't normally give books that aren't selling really well their own spinoffs ("The New Corps," "Circle of Fire," etc.).
Old 07-13-2019, 07:14 PM   #24
Rotten2thecorps
Alpha-Lantern

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew NDB View Post
Yeah. They don't normally give books that aren't selling really well their own spinoffs ("The New Corps," "Circle of Fire," etc.).
Those were closer to one shots then "Spin offs"
Old 07-09-2019, 08:50 PM   #25
Michael Heide
Heide Finition

Ivan Reis had done the Avengers and Superman by the time he replaced Pacheco on Green Lantern.

Tan had done the X-Men.