The Green Lantern Corps Message Board

Go Back   The Green Lantern Corps Message Board > Green Lanternverse > Green Lantern Corps/Emerald Warriors/John Stewart
FLASHCHAT

Green Lantern Corps
View Poll Results: Rate GL: Edge of Oblivion #1
* 1 11.11%
** 0 0%
*** 5 55.56%
**** 2 22.22%
***** 1 11.11%
Voters: 9. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-19-2016, 02:14 AM   #26
Big Daddy Dave Skywalker
Moisture Farmer

Just read it a few minutes ago. It was a passable story with fantastic artwork. Nice to see Guy finally look the way he should look again.
Old 01-19-2016, 04:12 AM   #27
Space Cop
The Dandy

Quote:
Originally Posted by KilowogsDisciple View Post
Ethan is seriously cool! Keeps up with his Facebook account, really nice guy. I'm trying to get him to do a commission job for my lady's project. She's finishing up a graphic novel with Vince Locke, and just started work on a sequel. Would love to have Ethan on board...
EVS has an honored guest account here. He used to pop in sporadically, but now it's been a while.
Old 01-19-2016, 07:37 PM   #28
Lundonj
Sinestro's Sparring Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Daddy Dave Skywalker View Post
Just read it a few minutes ago. It was a passable story with fantastic artwork. Nice to see Guy finally look the way he should look again.
Definitely a highlight to see Guy...being Guy and looking like his old self.
Old 01-20-2016, 12:41 AM   #29
KilowogsDisciple
Green Lantern

I'm still waiting for TFAW to deliver my first issue!!! Can't wait.
KilowogsDisciple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2016, 07:42 AM   #30
Mechinoid
Hal's Understudy

I fear for Krona and Relic, only time will tell if they were swept under a rug or not.
Old 01-20-2016, 12:14 PM   #31
Big Daddy Dave Skywalker
Moisture Farmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lundonj View Post
Definitely a highlight to see Guy...being Guy and looking like his old self.
Best part of the issue for me too now that I think about it.
Old 01-20-2016, 12:15 PM   #32
Big Daddy Dave Skywalker
Moisture Farmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mechinoid View Post
I fear for Krona and Relic, only time will tell if they were swept under a rug or not.
Good point. Will they come back to be the heavies? Or to help save the day?
Old 01-21-2016, 09:47 PM   #33
KilowogsDisciple
Green Lantern

I just got the #1 issue in the mail and YES! From the Wrath of B'dg on, this issue is a winner imo! Only thing that seemed cut way too short was the in depth profile in LA on John. Other than that, very happy...I hope this sells like hells so DC will bring back the monthly GLC...it's way overdue.
Old 01-21-2016, 09:58 PM   #34
Mister Ed
Horse of a Different Color

I feel like this is not a continuation of Lost Army at all, but merely takes place in roughly the same setting. There is not a shred of reference to anything at all from Lost Army, other than them being in the universe before the current one.
Old 01-21-2016, 10:25 PM   #35
KilowogsDisciple
Green Lantern

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister Ed View Post
I feel like this is not a continuation of Lost Army at all, but merely takes place in roughly the same setting. There is not a shred of reference to anything at all from Lost Army, other than them being in the universe before the current one.
It's almost as though the LA was going to be continued somewhere else...and I sure as hell wish I knew where.
Old 01-22-2016, 02:36 AM   #36
Lundonj

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister Ed View Post
Yeah, it is definitely one of those deals where I keep looking for a couple missing pages in my book. I think the only in story remark that gave us a clue about updated setting was Guy's "Six months of exploration..." line.

Other than that, the story is as lost in space as the GLC is.

The editors have to realize some folks are actually reading these things...

-Don
Old 01-22-2016, 09:48 AM   #37
KilowogsDisciple
Green Lantern

Quote:
Yeah, it is definitely one of those deals where I keep looking for a couple missing pages in my book. I think the only in story remark that gave us a clue about updated setting was Guy's "Six months of exploration..." line.

Other than that, the story is as lost in space as the GLC is.

The editors have to realize some folks are actually reading these things...

-Don
As much as I like the creators involved, even then came across like deer in the headlights when asked about the continuity of LA to EoO on CBR (yow, forgive me the alphabet soup lol!). However, they were also really nice and hey, I think they did a great job on EoO, even if I wasn't a big GL fan I'd have liked it.
Old 01-22-2016, 02:17 PM   #38
Space Cop
The Dandy

I don't know. This thing didn't bother me as much as some of you. To me, the point of LA was that they were stuck in the previous dying universe and they need to get home. And the point of EoO is the same. It feels like the continuity jump from Star Wars to Empire Strikes Back--they'll fill in the holes if and when it's needed.
Old 01-22-2016, 03:27 PM   #39
KilowogsDisciple
Green Lantern

Quote:
Originally Posted by Space Cop View Post
I don't know. This thing didn't bother me as much as some of you. To me, the point of LA was that they were stuck in the previous dying universe and they need to get home. And the point of EoO is the same. It feels like the continuity jump from Star Wars to Empire Strikes Back--they'll fill in the holes if and when it's needed.
I'd say the overall quality of the comic definitely supersedes worries. It's really, really good...potentially great imo.
Old 01-22-2016, 03:51 PM   #40
Lundonj

Quote:
Don't get me wrong, I really liked the first issue. As a stand alone start to a story, it was pretty interesting. A lost in space GLC runs into some very weird, powerful, scary people in a Universe they know little about. Great art, decent dialogue, I'm all in.

-But Relic and Krona are both kind of big deals - one might think a slight mention of where they are, and why they are no longer with them.

-John was in the middle of a very personal, powerful flashback story. The kind of rare character building moments not often found in a GLC tale. It simply vanishes without a conclusion.

-Guy had two rings and looked like a Christmas tree. I am super happy to pretend that never, ever happened. But a little editor's note could have explained it.

-The whole GLC was pretty darned unhappy with Hal trapping them here in this lost place. Hal didn't do it on purpose, yet they were not so sure of that. A big plot element and it is gone too.

I do imagine they can throw some glue on it or cover these bases later, but it is Editorial 101 to help set a new setting from one mini series to another. Outside of the cool John bits, I can certainly move on from Lost Army.

Maybe Krona and Relic are on a beer run, and they'll be back with enough booze for a big old green party...

-Don

Last edited by Lundonj; 01-22-2016 at 03:54 PM.
Lundonj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2016, 04:04 PM   #41
Mister Ed
Horse of a Different Color

Quote:
Except LA was building all sorts of story threads with Lightsmiths, Krona, Relic, etc. all of which have apparently dropped off the map with nary a mention. It wasn't JUST about them being in the previous universe, there was more to it than that, but all that "more to it" seems to have been scrapped.
Old 01-22-2016, 04:07 PM   #42
KilowogsDisciple
Green Lantern

Quote:
Don't get me wrong, I really liked the first issue. As a stand alone start to a story, it was pretty interesting. A lost in space GLC runs into some very weird, powerful, scary people in a Universe they know little about. Great art, decent dialogue, I'm all in.

-But Relic and Krona are both kind of big deals - one might think a slight mention of where they are, and why they are no longer with them.

-John was in the middle of a very personal, powerful flashback story. The kind of rare character building moments not often found in a GLC tale. It simply vanishes without a conclusion.

-Guy had two rings and looked like a Christmas tree. I am super happy to pretend that never, ever happened. But a little editor's note could have explained it.

-The whole GLC was pretty darned unhappy with Hal trapping them here in this lost place. Hal didn't do it on purpose, yet they were not so sure of that. A big plot element and it is gone too.

I do imagine they can throw some glue on it or cover these bases later, but it is Editorial 101 to help set a new setting from one mini series to another. Outside of the cool John bits, I can certainly move on from Lost Army.

Maybe Krona and Relic are on a beer run, and they'll be back with enough booze for a big old green party...

-Don
These are my problems, put excellently btw and thanks! However, due to my being so impressed by the first issue, I'm taking it on faith that at least some of the ends will be tied up as things progress.

I do know the John profile was one of the most promising bits of depth to show up in a GL story in a good while, so I'd be pretty offput if it was abandoned altogether.
Old 01-22-2016, 11:17 PM   #43
Space Cop
The Dandy

I agree with most of those, but I figure there's still time. I find it pretty unlikely that they're going to get to the end of the mini without mentioning Krona and Relic. The background to John might get dropped and that would be sad, but that's the kind of thing changing editors or writers often ignore.
Old 01-23-2016, 10:13 PM   #44
Hypo
Lil' Leaguer

On the topic of loose ends:

Old 01-26-2016, 09:02 PM   #45
Orion Pax
Iolande's Bodyguard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hypo View Post
On the topic of loose ends:

That´s some level of laziness I have yet to seen in comics.
Old 01-26-2016, 10:35 PM   #46
Big Daddy Dave Skywalker
Moisture Farmer

It ignores Christmas Lantern, so already this mini is better than Lost Army on that alone.
Old 01-26-2016, 10:39 PM   #47
Trey Strain
Guardian of the Universe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Daddy Dave Skywalker View Post
It ignores Christmas Lantern, so already this mini is better than Lost Army on that alone.
LOL.
Trey Strain is offline   Reply With Quote