The Green Lantern Corps Message Board

Go Back   The Green Lantern Corps Message Board > Green Lanternverse > Green Lantern Vol. 1/Alan Scott/JSA
FLASHCHAT

GL Volume 1
View Poll Results: How do you feel about New 52 Alan Scott being a gay man?
I think it's great 2 10.00%
I'm OK with it, but let's see how it plays out 0 0%
This is DC being politically correct, but necessary 0 0%
I'm on the fence 0 0%
As long as he still exists as before in some other reality I'm OK 3 15.00%
I don't like this 4 20.00%
Terrible idea 2 10.00%
Worst idea ever, it tarnishes his character from time immemorial 4 20.00%
If they wanted to make a Green Lantern character gay, why not just make a new one? 5 25.00%
Voters: 20. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-19-2014, 08:27 AM   #1
Andrew NDB
Shot Caller
 
Andrew NDB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Evergreen State
Posts: 14,176
Blog Entries: 5
Send a message via Yahoo to Andrew NDB
Default How do you feel about the new Alan Scott being gay?



I'm a bit surprised this hasn't really been addressed or discussed on this board in any level of depth.

OK, I get that the people that would have actually grown up with Alan Scott as "their" Green Lantern are either... well, dead or long out of comics, but we're still left with several sects. Some have been familiar with Alan Scott, either through various revivals throughout the 80s or 90s with the JSA or whatnot. Or the GL diehards like myself, at the very least with Alan Scott as basically Kyle Rayner's first teacher. We know him as a dedicated father of two (if estranged, at times) kids and a very dedicated husband. Either way it goes, Alan Scott has been portrayed for the better part of 80 years as a very straight character.

How do you feel about the New 52 not only literally leaving Alan Scott in a ditch (where he was left in the closing issues of JSA pre-Flashpoint) but reborn as a gay man on the separate Earth-2?
Andrew NDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2014, 11:05 AM   #2
Deadpool
Fight like a man: with your words, not your fists.
 
Deadpool's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: The bed of whoever pays for the night.
Posts: 5,793
Blog Entries: 5
Default

It's DC being politically correct, but it's completely unnecessary. They made him gay for no reason other than attention and being seen to do the right thing. If I had to make anyone gay it probably would have been one of the Robins.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by IonFan View Post
(even if the ear sucking helped get me off faster)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Daddy Caesar View Post
If I had things like the internet and a laptop as a kid, I never would have left my room as a teenager.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quaker View Post
I am the Geoff Johns of the GLCMB.
Deadpool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2014, 01:54 PM   #3
Big Daddy Dave Skywalker
Moisture Farmer
 
Big Daddy Dave Skywalker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: At Toshi Station picking up some power converters
Posts: 16,496
Default

It's not really Alan Scott so it doesn't bother me at all. The entire E2 book has become so far removed from anything JSA related that nothing they o there affects my inner fanboy anymore.

My Alan Scott is right in my longboxes where I left him, taking his wife Molly to Pound Town two nights a week.
__________________
Big Daddy Dave Skywalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2014, 02:02 PM   #4
Space Cop
The Dandy
 
Space Cop's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: The Third State
Posts: 26,811
Blog Entries: 2
Default

The whole thing always felt like a publicity stunt but I like reading Earth 2 anyway.

That said, it doesn't bother me, even though I read the book, because it's not that Alan Scott. He's not even truly a lantern. His powers aren't from the Starheart or the GLC. They're more like from where Swampy's power comes from. He reminds me of Stan Lee's GL.

Realistically, they could still add Scott to the New 52 because this one is just the
alternate version.

As a side note, they've also downplayed this aspect. They mention his lover being killed sometimes, but he hasn't dated or kissed a guy since the first issue.
__________________
Space Cop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2014, 02:31 PM   #5
Mister Ed
Horse of a Different Color
 
Mister Ed's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Portland, OR
Posts: 14,735
Default

I went with the last choice, but then realized that, really, that's exactly what they did. They just reused the name.

I'm more bothered by them basically erasing the old Alan Scott than I am by them making a new, gay GL who happens to share his name.
__________________
Mister Ed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2014, 02:51 PM   #6
IonFan
Forum Member
 
IonFan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: North Carolina, USA
Posts: 20,207
Default

i went with the "Worst idea ever", it was just a stunt to get the DC name on tv, if they really wanted to make a statement they a) should of made a new character that was gay or b) made one of the big 3 gay (S-man, B-man, or WW) THAT would of been a statement but instead they make AS a GL (something i for one think hurt the GL name) gay, h@ll from my understanding he's only been gay for one issue and then they never really touched on it again ( f@cking @$$bags)
__________________

IonFan says

Quote:
F**k all the "Haters" 3 years in and i still support our dear leader, one Donald J. Trump
IonFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2014, 03:13 PM   #7
Space Cop
The Dandy
 
Space Cop's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: The Third State
Posts: 26,811
Blog Entries: 2
Default

Yeah, I would think it's almost an insult to the gay community. It's like DC was saying, "you want to see yourself in a superhero, fine we'll give you Green Lantern ... the old, old GL ... oh, and he's going to be an alternate world version ... oh, and his power won't really be GL powers ... BUT he's gay!"
__________________
Space Cop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2014, 05:02 PM   #8
Sylent_Asassin
Black Lantern
 
Sylent_Asassin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Northern California Valley
Posts: 16,418
Blog Entries: 35
Default

This was done for the big publicity splash and the sales that comes with the shock value. Aside from that, I really couldn't care less. It would have meant more if they waited and made Jessica Cruz gay, rather than tinkering with an established character, elseworld version or not.
__________________
Sylent_Asassin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2014, 08:26 PM   #9
Tarmode
Green Lantern Initiate
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 403
Default

It's an insult to old comics fans, Alan Scott himself, and even to DC.They better be careful, some of these stupid decisions are going to come back and bite them in the ass.They should be ashamed of themselves for taking liberties with a Golden Age character like that.
Tarmode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2014, 11:03 PM   #10
Star-Lantern
Green Lantern
 
Star-Lantern's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 636
Default

I don't think DC would have done that to a character they really care about. So, I think it shows their disposition about Alan Scott. I'm not really invested in Alan Scott, myself, so I don't care much, but i'm generally against the process of turning characters who have been straight for decades and decades gay.

I certainly understand the need for comics to be more inclusive to those who aren't straight White males, but I don't think that's the optimal way to go about it.

I was talking to a gay friend about superheroes by chance. He wanted to know some stuff about Batman and I told him I was more of a Green Lantern guy. He said he didn't know much about GL except he had been turned gay recently. But it was ''only the alternate universe one no one cares about.'' Those were his words, so he, at least, wasn't impressed by the gesture.
Star-Lantern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2014, 02:55 AM   #11
Hypo
Lil' Leaguer
 
Hypo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Earth-42
Posts: 22,232
Default

Diversity in comics is important but I can't say I'm happy with the decisions to make Alan gay or to make Wally into an African American. To me those decisions were the lazy way out, instead of devoting the time and effort to build up new characters DC decided to piggyback on existing properties and embraced the entire shock value nature of the thing and that just rubs me the wrong way.

Now to be fair part of the reason DC went this route is because of today's readership. A lot of people just aren't interested in new titles that aren't directly or indirectly related to the established properties they've been reading for years, it's part of the reason we have so many books under the Batman umbrella despite everyone and their mother constantly bemoaning the number of titles in that category, so I can see why DC would be hesitant to create a new character and would go in this direction.

But on the other hand I look over at Marvel and see what they did with Miles Morales and how they put their biggest writer on that book with A-list artistic talent and 3 years later they've stuck with that plan. Now granted Miles isn't the perfect example either due to him being a legacy character of sorts but I prefer that to what DC did with Alan and Wally.

Now that being said I do hope that DC sticks with these changes for the long run, don't make them be what in the worst case they would be, mere publicity grabs, but actually do new and unique things with them. I don't want to see these characters portrayed exactly the same as they were before, because while your sexuality or race certainly don't define who you are, they do influence who you are. Besides if in the end these characters are basically the same DC's not really introducing diversity, they're simply paying lip service to the entire idea.
__________________
Hypo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2014, 05:15 AM   #12
Tarmode
Green Lantern Initiate
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 403
Default

All I know is, they better straighten this crap out. And fast.
Tarmode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2014, 05:21 AM   #13
Evergreen City
Corps Den Mother
 
Evergreen City's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Washington State
Posts: 1,018
Blog Entries: 4
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Space Cop View Post
Yeah, I would think it's almost an insult to the gay community. It's like DC was saying, "you want to see yourself in a superhero, fine we'll give you Green Lantern ... the old, old GL ... oh, and he's going to be an alternate world version ... oh, and his power won't really be GL powers ... BUT he's gay!"
Concur. Tokenism. Plain and simple. Ignore it and move on.
__________________

The power of will is found at the deepest level of your being. It's more than mere rules. It's a duty that you must honor.
Evergreen City is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2014, 05:22 AM   #14
Evergreen City
Corps Den Mother
 
Evergreen City's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Washington State
Posts: 1,018
Blog Entries: 4
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Daddy Dave View Post
It's not really Alan Scott so it doesn't bother me at all. The entire E2 book has become so far removed from anything JSA related that nothing they o there affects my inner fanboy anymore.

My Alan Scott is right in my longboxes where I left him, taking his wife Molly to Pound Town two nights a week.
Yup. Mine too.
__________________

The power of will is found at the deepest level of your being. It's more than mere rules. It's a duty that you must honor.
Evergreen City is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2015, 06:46 PM   #15
Tarmode
Green Lantern Initiate
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 403
Default

Next thing you know, they will be trying to make Hal Jordan gay, and we'll see some beatdowns if that happens?
Tarmode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2015, 07:15 PM   #16
Big Daddy Dave Skywalker
Moisture Farmer
 
Big Daddy Dave Skywalker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: At Toshi Station picking up some power converters
Posts: 16,496
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarmode View Post
Next thing you know, they will be trying to make Hal Jordan gay, and we'll see some beatdowns if that happens?
Don't give them any ideas.
__________________
Big Daddy Dave Skywalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2015, 07:18 PM   #17
TazzMission
Guardian of the Universe
 
TazzMission's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: outer rim territory
Posts: 26,132
Default

i havent read gl in a good two years and i rarely read any alan scott books but ill say this. i dont mind the idea of a charachter going gay or there race being changed because i think what the comic industry is trying to do is keep up with what is going on in the world today homosexuality being a huge one. and this is just a suggestion to the old school fanbase if you dont like the current stuff you always have the older stuff you can re read.
__________________
.................................................. ..........................

I felt a great disturbance in the force, as if millions of WWE Network subscriptions were suddenly cancelled.
TazzMission is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2015, 07:33 PM   #18
Lantern A-train
Guardian of the Universe
 
Lantern A-train's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 14,358
Default

My only problem with people saying that this was just a publicity stunt (which I'm sure part of it was) is that people practically always say it was a publicity stunt of for shock value damn near anytime someone gay is used or introduced. They creator the new character Bunker for TT and people said that was just a publicity stunt too. They made Sara Lance have a lesbian relationship and people said it was just for shock value. I feel like we can't win either way. Maybe if we didn't make such a big deal everytime they add or make something gay or black it wouldn't be an issue. I swear it's like a damn parade is thrown anytime someone that isn't a straight white character gets added to something or created. But my experience has shown me that no matter how natural to the story or character it may seem people will always say it's just for shock or publicity.
__________________
I LOVE conspiracy theorists. They are like human versions of the cymbal clapping, dancing monkeys. No one takes them all that seriously and they get bored with them after about 10 minutes.
Lantern A-train is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2015, 07:39 PM   #19
Lantern A-train
Guardian of the Universe
 
Lantern A-train's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 14,358
Default

Don't get me wrong, I too think it's a dumb idea to take an established character and drastically change them for no other reason than just because but again as I said before creating or adding anything gay seems to automatically make it for shock value and no other reason as far as fans are concerned.
__________________
I LOVE conspiracy theorists. They are like human versions of the cymbal clapping, dancing monkeys. No one takes them all that seriously and they get bored with them after about 10 minutes.

Last edited by Lantern A-train; 02-12-2015 at 07:41 PM.
Lantern A-train is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2015, 07:40 PM   #20
Mister Ed
Horse of a Different Color
 
Mister Ed's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Portland, OR
Posts: 14,735
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lantern A-train View Post
My only problem with people saying that this was just a publicity stunt (which I'm sure part of it was) is that people practically always say it was a publicity stunt of for shock value damn near anytime someone gay is used or introduced. They creator the new character Bunker for TT and people said that was just a publicity stunt too. They made Sara Lance have a lesbian relationship and people said it was just for shock value. I feel like we can't win either way. Maybe if we didn't make such a big deal everytime they add or make something gay or black it wouldn't be an issue. I swear it's like a damn parade is thrown anytime someone that isn't a straight white character gets added to something or created. But my experience has shown me that no matter how natural to the story or character it may seem people will always say it's just for shock or publicity.
Well, yeah. That's not going to stop until such things don't shock a bunch of (I originally said "most", but I think we may have already passed that bar) people AND stop being milked for as much publicity as they can get. Until then, people will keep saying that those are the reason (and they will be at least partly right).
__________________
Mister Ed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2015, 07:48 PM   #21
TazzMission
Guardian of the Universe
 
TazzMission's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: outer rim territory
Posts: 26,132
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lantern A-train View Post
My only problem with people saying that this was just a publicity stunt (which I'm sure part of it was) is that people practically always say it was a publicity stunt of for shock value damn near anytime someone gay is used or introduced. They creator the new character Bunker for TT and people said that was just a publicity stunt too. They made Sara Lance have a lesbian relationship and people said it was just for shock value. I feel like we can't win either way. Maybe if we didn't make such a big deal everytime they add or make something gay or black it wouldn't be an issue. I swear it's like a damn parade is thrown anytime someone that isn't a straight white character gets added to something or created. But my experience has shown me that no matter how natural to the story or character it may seem people will always say it's just for shock or publicity.
believe it or not i disagree on the sara lance part because at least with that people got a legitament story and wasnt just 2 hot chicks kissing to get us straight men horny .

as a straight male did i find it hot? uh yea but as a fan i really want to see how sara and nyssaa met and how they became something more. i really felt that whole little arch was well done
__________________
.................................................. ..........................

I felt a great disturbance in the force, as if millions of WWE Network subscriptions were suddenly cancelled.
TazzMission is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2015, 07:51 PM   #22
Big Daddy Dave Skywalker
Moisture Farmer
 
Big Daddy Dave Skywalker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: At Toshi Station picking up some power converters
Posts: 16,496
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TazzMission View Post
i havent read gl in a good two years and i rarely read any alan scott books but ill say this. i dont mind the idea of a charachter going gay or there race being changed because i think what the comic industry is trying to do is keep up with what is going on in the world today homosexuality being a huge one. and this is just a suggestion to the old school fanbase if you dont like the current stuff you always have the older stuff you can re read.
Well thank god you aren't an editor!
__________________
Big Daddy Dave Skywalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2015, 07:52 PM   #23
Rotten2thecorps
Alpha-Lantern
 
Rotten2thecorps's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Qward
Posts: 2,542
Default

I can't speak for "those other fans" but I don't like just making a person gay. It was a publicity stunt,you can tell because it got alot of publicity. I cool with a gay Green Lantern. as long as it is not the focus of the book. One pannel where he kisses his boyfrien dose not sweat me. Now if he starts wearing hot pant's and throws villians in science for fassion crimes,then there may be a problem.

Look at Baz. No one hate Baz because he is Aribic,people hate him because he sucks. Are there no more biggets in the world? Of course there are,there always will be. but the acceptance of today as opposed to back in the day is amazing. It's come pretty far.
__________________
Take life with a Grain of salt and a shot of tequila!
Rotten2thecorps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2015, 07:53 PM   #24
TazzMission
Guardian of the Universe
 
TazzMission's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: outer rim territory
Posts: 26,132
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Daddy Davos View Post
Well thank god you aren't an editor!
shit man i think you would like my take on gl. i got ideas cooking where some fans wil love it and others will out right hate it
__________________
.................................................. ..........................

I felt a great disturbance in the force, as if millions of WWE Network subscriptions were suddenly cancelled.
TazzMission is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2015, 07:56 PM   #25
Lantern A-train
Guardian of the Universe
 
Lantern A-train's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 14,358
Default

Oh I know some disagree I am just pointing out that I saw tons of comments saying. The world just needs to move beyond treating coming out or adding gay things to something like it's a fucking Xbox Achievement. People also need to stop acting like sexuality drastically changes a character's personality or will make people be more interested in them. Granted I was partly guilty of that myself because while I was already interested in Alan Scott I will admit that became just slightly more interested in reading about him once that was announced but I can assure you that if I didn't like anything else I read him, him being gay wouldn't be enough to keep me aruond. I think Superman is a d-bag for the most part if they made him gay tomorrow and changed nothing else about him I'd still think he was a d-bag.

It's reason like that makes me roll my eyes and get ready for the whirlwind of foolishness from all directions anytime they announce a gay anything.
__________________
I LOVE conspiracy theorists. They are like human versions of the cymbal clapping, dancing monkeys. No one takes them all that seriously and they get bored with them after about 10 minutes.
Lantern A-train is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 05:07 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.3
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.