The Green Lantern Corps Message Board

Go Back   The Green Lantern Corps Message Board > Green Lanternverse > Green Lantern Vol. 5
FLASHCHAT

GL Volume 5

Old 05-14-2008, 05:52 AM   #1
Ethan Van Sciver
Honored Guest

Default The Ethan Van Sciver Talk Back thread

Hi, Ethan here. I thought I should join this glorious forum and be among you, the people that I love. Please feel free to ask questions or leave comments on this thread for me, and I will check it nearly every day and respond.

Sinestro gets a bad rap,
Ethan Van Sciver
Ethan Van Sciver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2008, 05:59 AM   #2
Rayner90

I love you

The cover for Rebirth #5 is one of my favorites
Old 05-14-2008, 06:13 AM   #3
Gl Josh
Senior Corps Member

Looking forward to see you (and Moose) in Chicago. Oh and thanks for signing those Ivan Reis lithos for me, they made some great Best Man gifts. You kick some serious ass (like Chuck Norris with the Speedforce).
Originally Posted by BatmanofSector2814 View Post
I have yet to see Avatar, mainly because it is the plot of Pocahontas wrapped in a "Halo vs World of Warcraft" flavored, CGI heavy shell...and I've already seen Pocahontas and played all 5 Halos...so....
Gl Josh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2008, 06:37 AM   #4
Raker616
Corps Honor Guard

Hey EVS, wondering if there is anything we can do to get Moose back on GL it just isn't the same without him.
Old 05-14-2008, 07:18 AM   #5
Andrew NDB
Shot Caller

Send a message via Yahoo to Andrew NDB

Welcome, Ethan! An honor and a pleasure, and it was awesome meeting you on Saturday.

Sinestro does get a bad rap.
Andrew NDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2008, 07:21 AM   #6
ComicGeek
Corps Honor Guard

ETHAN!!!!!

omg, one question for you.

For all fans of Lantern you are the man people most associate with THE green lantern artist from your work on Rebirth and a few issues of the current series. And the Sinestro special was one of my favorites.

So why aren't you doing more GL? Or are there things that you know that we don't know that are coming? Hmmmm???
Don't think this kind of pain will ever heal
I gave to you my life and love for years
Look deep in my eyes, my pain do you feel
All I ever wanted was to be loved
Waiting on dad to take me up above"
ComicGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2008, 07:30 AM   #7
Ωmega Man
Guardian of the Universe

It's awesome to have all the pros around this place now. One more reason why I don't need the GJ forums anymore!

Ethan, Andrew mentioned a sketch he was getting from you with specific details in Kyle Rayner's costume. On commisions do you get a lot of requests for certain small details? Like say if I wanted a bald Superman in rehab drunk next to Britney Spears would that be too much?

~KL~
Ωmega Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2008, 07:37 AM   #8
Maverick_GL

Send a message via MSN to Maverick_GL

Welcome to the forum Ethan.

"Weeds. All of them weeds. I am perfection, and I am alone in the garden of the universe." - Cyborg Superman
Maverick_GL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2008, 08:49 AM   #9
BuckyBarnes45

Ethan, thanks from this long time GL fan for making GL look like a serious book. So many well written books today do not seem to have serious art. Yours make GL seem like a strong hero and exciting story. SO kudos.

I love the fact you and Geoff made the green energy described and looked different for each GL (especially in REbirth). I remember Steve Englehart did similar in the writing of an issue near Crisis where John, Hal and Guy all had exposition text describing how they view the green...but the art made the constructs all seem the same.

Also...kudos for the "shining logos" on the GLs. I love that touch and its interesting to see other artists pick it up even in flashback stories!
Old 05-14-2008, 08:58 AM   #10
Parrylakks
Anti-Monitor

Its great to have you here, Ethan... you are a truly talented man.
And on a side note: my brother is going to name his son, Ethan.
Old 05-14-2008, 09:13 AM   #11
Jack-O-Lantern
Master Customizer

Ethan, welcome. Love your art in GL and everything else I've seen. I especially loved your latest in JLA #20, that was amazing. I wish you could do Flash or WW more often.

One question; Do you care to comment on the idea of Guy as an Orange Lantern that you made over on the DCMB? A joke? Potential idea? Possible spoiler??? C'mon man, you can't tease us GL fans like that!!! lol

Oh, and on another note. I'd love to get a sketch of the Ion and Parallax entities from you some day. I want to tattoo them on my ribs.....
Jack-O-Lantern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2008, 12:15 PM   #12
GreenLanternGeek

Welcome Man!!!!!!!!!!! Awesome to have you!
Old 05-14-2008, 12:37 PM   #13
Rotten2thecorps
Alpha-Lantern

The Big-E in the house. I love this guy. I have met alot of cool people but the Big-E is by far the coolest. If he is at a con near you go see him. The man is funny nice and has an aprecation for the fine things in life like Arch Hall Jr. flicks. It is good to have you here bro.
Old 05-14-2008, 01:33 PM   #14
W.West

Send a message via AIM to W.West Send a message via Yahoo to W.West Send a message via Skype™ to W.West

Welcome Ethan, I too enjoyed your work in JLA #20 and GL:Rebirth. Glad to have you here. Hope to see more of your work soon.
Old 05-14-2008, 01:57 PM   #15
Sasha Bordeaux

Hi Ethan, it's fantastic to have you here!
I'd love to see you working on Barry with Geoff very soon!
Old 05-14-2008, 03:00 PM   #16
Lishego

Welcome aboard, great to have you here. enjoy!
Old 05-14-2008, 03:05 PM   #17
Lundonj

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ethan Van Sciver View Post
Hi, Ethan here. I thought I should join this glorious forum and be among you, the people that I love. Please feel free to ask questions or leave comments on this thread for me, and I will check it nearly every day and respond.

Sinestro gets a bad rap,
Ethan Van Sciver

If I didn't know better, I might think you were stalking me, from GL forum to GL forum...

-Don (really does know better)
Old 05-14-2008, 03:22 PM   #18
Ethan Van Sciver
Honored Guest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rayner90 View Post
I love you

The cover for Rebirth #5 is one of my favorites
Thanks, Rayner...! That cover was drawn under pressure in a hotel room during Wizard World Texas, 2005. My editor was literally outside my door, pacing, like an expectant father.

Which would make me a mother....

Anyhow, glad you liked it.
Old 05-14-2008, 03:24 PM   #19
Ethan Van Sciver
Honored Guest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raker616 View Post
Hey EVS, wondering if there is anything we can do to get Moose back on GL it just isn't the same without him.
Well, you can always make your feelings known on message boards that DC editors are likely to visit. DCComics.com, for example. Obviously, I love when Moose colors Green Lantern (or just my art in general) and I'd love to see his return.
Old 05-14-2008, 03:28 PM   #20
Ethan Van Sciver
Honored Guest

Quote:
Originally Posted by ComicGeek View Post
ETHAN!!!!!

omg, one question for you.

For all fans of Lantern you are the man people most associate with THE green lantern artist from your work on Rebirth and a few issues of the current series. And the Sinestro special was one of my favorites.

So why aren't you doing more GL? Or are there things that you know that we don't know that are coming? Hmmmm???
Thanks! I would be working on Green Lantern forever if it weren't for the fact that the ONE PROJECT that could possibly tear me away was finally offered to me. And it's the project that I and many other creators have salivated over ever since I started working for DC Comics 10+ years ago, but knew could never happen. I MUST do it.

Green Lantern is something I hope I'll always be able to return to, especially while Geoff is writing it. I have to make my mark on this other thing though. You'll understand soon enough.
Old 05-14-2008, 03:29 PM   #21
Ethan Van Sciver
Honored Guest

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Kid Lantern View Post
It's awesome to have all the pros around this place now. One more reason why I don't need the GJ forums anymore!

Ethan, Andrew mentioned a sketch he was getting from you with specific details in Kyle Rayner's costume. On commisions do you get a lot of requests for certain small details? Like say if I wanted a bald Superman in rehab drunk next to Britney Spears would that be too much?

~KL~
I would probably look up at you quizzically from my table and say, "Um....is there something else you'd rather have?"
Old 05-14-2008, 03:29 PM   #22
Big Daddy Dave Skywalker
Moisture Farmer

Thanks for coming by Ethan! I'm looking forward to meeting you at the show in NH you're doing. Scott Collins should be there too, so I'm pretty pumped to meet two guys that have been so heavily associated with my two favorite heroes.

BTW (and you problably can't answer this, but I'm gonna ask anyway!), is there any Barry Allen crossing your drawing board in the near future?
Old 05-14-2008, 03:30 PM   #23
Ethan Van Sciver
Honored Guest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack-O-Lantern View Post
Ethan, welcome. Love your art in GL and everything else I've seen. I especially loved your latest in JLA #20, that was amazing. I wish you could do Flash or WW more often.

One question; Do you care to comment on the idea of Guy as an Orange Lantern that you made over on the DCMB? A joke? Potential idea? Possible spoiler??? C'mon man, you can't tease us GL fans like that!!! lol

Oh, and on another note. I'd love to get a sketch of the Ion and Parallax entities from you some day. I want to tattoo them on my ribs.....
No comment!!!
Old 05-14-2008, 03:42 PM   #24
Rotten2thecorps
Alpha-Lantern

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ethan Van Sciver View Post
Thanks! I would be working on Green Lantern forever if it weren't for the fact that the ONE PROJECT that could possibly tear me away was finally offered to me. And it's the project that I and many other creators have salivated over ever since I started working for DC Comics 10+ years ago, but knew could never happen. I MUST do it.

Green Lantern is something I hope I'll always be able to return to, especially while Geoff is writing it. I have to make my mark on this other thing though. You'll understand soon enough.
Oh could it be? Could the Big-E finally get plasticman? I keep hoping that you get your shot on that character.
Old 05-14-2008, 03:58 PM   #25
Chamalkan
Sinestro's Sparring Partner

As you're an insider: are there plans for anything besides the GL and GLC monthlies with GL stuff? Like mini's, one shots (besides Rage of the Red Lanterns) or even another monthly?

Last edited by Chamalkan; 05-14-2008 at 04:44 PM.
Chamalkan is offline   Reply With Quote