The Green Lantern Corps Message Board

Go Back   The Green Lantern Corps Message Board > Green Lanternverse > Green Lanterns
FLASHCHAT

Green Lanterns
View Poll Results: Rate GLs #5
* 0 0%
** 3 50.00%
*** 2 33.33%
**** 1 16.67%
***** 0 0%
Voters: 6. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-14-2016, 01:00 AM   #1
Hypo
Lil' Leaguer

Default Green Lanterns #5 *Preview/Spoilers*

Green Lanterns #5 Preview
Writer: Sam Humphries
Artists: Robson Rocha & Eduardo Pansica

Old 08-18-2016, 02:49 PM   #2
buffalorock
Corpse Trainee

I don't know, this series isn't doing much for me, but it's not terrible. If I was more of an expert, I may be able to put my finger on what it is I don't like, but as it is this is merely a decent comic imho.
buffalorock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2016, 03:06 PM   #3
Mister Ed
Horse of a Different Color

I'm not a fan of either of the main characters (particularly since they seem to have taken this series as an opportunity to greatly skew Simon Baz's personality to the obnoxious end of the spectrum, where he wasn't before). But how much I like this series will, I suspect, ultimately have a lot to do with what the payoff is on the various cryptic elements they have tossed in, like Emerald Sight, the renegade Guardian, and hints as to a "reason" for the additional Earth GLs. If that turns out being stupid or unsatisfying, this series will become an enormous waste for me, particularly given that the main characters are not really growing on me that much.
Old 08-18-2016, 03:38 PM   #4
Star-Lantern
Green Lantern Initiate

This book isn't very good from everything I've seen. Despite my not liking the heroes or antagonists, it's just not a well put together comic or story. I think the writer tries too hard to make the characters seem relatable. His efforts to humanize them, like having Baz clutch a teddy bear or Cruz think about Pokemon, seem shallow and lacking any real depth. Jessica's anxiety has gotten to the annoying level. It's just not entertaining to read someone say over and over and over and over again that they're afraid and can't do anything. It seems like her worth as a character has already been tapped, and there's nowhere else for her to go but to get beyond her anxiety, which I imagine will continue to creep up every now and then once she does. She's a really one note and uninteresting character to me. This book has also done nothing to make me more interested in Simon Baz.

The artwork is not captivating to me. It's either been poor, or just barely adequate. There's just nothing interesting to look at. For example, the entire setting of this issue was a reddish wasteland, and I just wasn't drawn in by that or the way it was portrayed.

The enemies and their motivation aren't interesting. The thing that got my interest the most in the entire series so far is when Bleez turned into her old self momentarily.

I just really can't think of much positive to say, except that it's impressive that the creative team is putting out so much content so fast, but that's nothing unique to this book, and I think that schedule has greatly hurt the title artistically (and probably in general), and I don't think it will get better on that front. The creative team will likely continue to be put under quite a lot of stress.

I don't really care for Robson Rocha's art, but I'm wary to really criticize it when I know he's rushing like heck. Though I also just don't think I care too much for him stylistically, but that's not really a criticism on his ability as an artist.
Star-Lantern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2016, 02:19 AM   #5
Hypo
Lil' Leaguer

Well at least Humphries managed to put out a couple of good issues before he started shitting the bed.
Old 08-28-2016, 08:09 PM   #6
Locomoco808
Kilowog's Recruit

To think... they killed off the Sinestro comes for this obviously bennifer couple of rookie lanterns???

COME ON.
Locomoco808 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2016, 04:57 AM   #7
Mechinoid
Hal's Understudy

Even with the characters seemingly out of place, this whole story arc just feels over used now. Lanterns using Earth for one way or another? We just went through an arc in Sinestro Corps book with Sinestro enlisting Earth heroes, and before that there was the time Red Lanterns already attacked earth in the Red Lanterns comic. The DC universe makes space seem so small sometimes.