The Green Lantern Corps Message Board

Go Back   The Green Lantern Corps Message Board > Green Lanternverse > Other Comics
FLASHCHAT

Miscellaneous GL Comics

Old 05-09-2017, 02:44 PM   #51
Trey Strain
Guardian of the Universe

How about this. Suppose they try LoS set in the future ONE MORE TIME? If it flops again, would everyone tap out and admit that the comic won't sell unless it's set in the present?

Or would anyone demand another try at it?
Trey Strain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2017, 03:05 PM   #52
Mister Ed
Horse of a Different Color

My understanding is that it has already failed when set in the present, too, so I'm not sure the ultimate lesson is that the time period is the issue.
Old 05-09-2017, 05:51 PM   #53
-//V\\-
Guardian of the Universe

Legion suffers from the same things as the X-Men titles. There's often too large a cast, little individual character development, and most stories seem to flow the exact same way. If a fan can't come into the title and pick more than two or three favorite heroes then DC is doing something wrong. The height of more recent LoSH popularity came after the clone Superboy and Legion shared the Adventure Comics title again. Both concepts got their own titles once again after a time while the Legion Academy was being featured in Adventure Comics and rumored for a spinoff title of it's own. Fast forward another year or so, we get the new52 and the LoSH are relaunched again and the companion title... Legion Lost was used rather than Legion Academy.

DC should focus on the characterization and a smaller cast for a little while before expanding the cast to 20+ members. Aside from Starboy/Starman I don't think ANY of their origins have been recently recapped. I haven't seen any of them in a solo adventure since that series from the 90's called 'Legends of the DCU' I think.

Favorite characters of mine from Legion in no particular order:

Starboy/Starman, Cosmic Boy, Dawnstar, Sun Boy, Duplicate Girl, Ultra Boy, Element Lad, Gear, and Lightning Lad.

Saying the time period is what's wrong with Legion is like saying diversity is the sole reason Marvel sucks. Might play a significantly small factor, but there's other factors that play a larger role in the success and failure of this nearly sixty year old franchise.

~//V\\~
-//V\\- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2017, 06:48 PM   #54
Trey Strain
Guardian of the Universe

And how about this. Suppose DC brought LoS to the present, and it sold? As in, it became a successful comic?

Would anybody then complain and demand that they be sent back to the future? I don't think even one person would.

I betcha.

DC Comics sure as hell wouldn't complain about it either.

Last edited by Trey Strain; 05-09-2017 at 07:02 PM.
Old 05-09-2017, 06:56 PM   #55
Trey Strain
Guardian of the Universe

Oh, and you'll be able to see the LoS in the future in minis. Those won't go away, as long as enough people buy them.
Old 05-09-2017, 08:49 PM   #56
-//V\\-
Guardian of the Universe

The last issue of the new52 Legion Lost series barely sold 13.5k. During the same month, the 16th issue of Legion was barely selling 16.5k copies. Neither series worked very long because the whole concept had readers coming in not knowing who any of the characters featured were outside of the little golden character tags whenever they showed up for the first panel in the issues.

Gotta make the characters more interesting themselves, not completely rework the concept.

~//V\\~

Last edited by -//V\\-; 05-09-2017 at 08:58 PM.
Old 05-09-2017, 11:48 PM   #57
"Chosen"
NOT his black friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by -//V\\- View Post

The last issue of the new52 Legion Lost series barely sold 13.5k. During the same month, the 16th issue of Legion was barely selling 16.5k copies. Neither series worked very long because the whole concept had readers coming in not knowing who any of the characters featured were outside of the little golden character tags whenever they showed up for the first panel in the issues.

Gotta make the characters more interesting themselves, not completely rework the concept.

~//V\\~
"Chosen" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2017, 02:39 PM   #58
Trey Strain
Guardian of the Universe

A company once put out a product that I liked but took it off the market because of its poor sales. And now it's going to reintroduce that product, with some changes that will bring into line with all the products that sell.

But I don't like those changes. I want them to produce it the way they used to. What can I do?

Well, I could contact them and tell them that I JUST KNOW it would sell this time, if only they would produce it the original way again. And maybe they'd do what I wanted them to.

But I bet not. I bet they wouldn't produce something again that's been shown not to sell.

Nobody should imagine otherwise.
Old 05-10-2017, 06:44 PM   #59
-//V\\-
Guardian of the Universe

Did McDonalds change up the seasonal McRib Sandwich again? You poor thing! If you just explain to them how marketing works, how to ship their products, what works for YOU [cause damn everybody else, same as comics right?], etc. we wouldn't have to deal with this kinda drama.

LOL

~//V\\~

Last edited by -//V\\-; 05-11-2017 at 12:47 PM. Reason: fixed a typo lol
Old 05-12-2017, 01:36 AM   #60
Trey Strain
Guardian of the Universe

I can tell you how to make LoS or anything else NOT sell.

That's by putting something back on the market that people didn't buy the last time you put it out.

What company does that? I've never heard of one that does.
Old 05-12-2017, 04:16 AM   #61
"Chosen"
NOT his black friend

How is that you have the answers and not the... you know... professionals? Or maybe you are a publisher and we don't know it. Geoff is that you? EVS maybe? No Didio?!
Old 05-12-2017, 12:37 PM   #62
Mister Ed

Wait, wasn't "Legion Lost" a comic with the Legion in the present day? (I got that impression, even though I never read it, so feel free to correct me if that impression is wrong.) And didn't THAT fail to sell? If so, doesn't that suggest that the time period it is set in is not the problem, or at least not the whole problem?
Old 05-12-2017, 12:49 PM   #63
-//V\\-
Guardian of the Universe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister Ed View Post
Wait, wasn't "Legion Lost" a comic with the Legion in the present day? (I got that impression, even though I never read it, so feel free to correct me if that impression is wrong.) And didn't THAT fail to sell? If so, doesn't that suggest that the time period it is set in is not the problem, or at least not the whole problem?
We've brought up Legion Lost at least a dozen times now. Apparently it doesn't fit into Trey's argument. I even posted sales figures for the title... LOL

Facts don't matter to Trey. Only his own opinions. He claims a modern Legion would work because 'he just knows it' and that fans could *still* get the Legion in the future with one of his minis if they really wanted. And if not who cares?

~//V\\~
Old 05-12-2017, 02:10 PM   #64
Big Daddy Dave Targaryen I
First of His Name, King of the Andals and Jägerbombs

Legion is a niche concept appealing to a limited audience. Made even more limited by taking away Superboy. DC should restore that dynamic if they want to try a Rebirth reboot of Legion.
Old 05-12-2017, 02:34 PM   #65
"Chosen"
NOT his black friend

Quote:
It was, and it did fail. We've stated that a number of times in this thread but Trey fails to acknowledge it.
Old 05-12-2017, 02:43 PM   #66

The stranded in present series got the axe after a whopping 16 issues. Larfleeze almost lasted as long as that.
Old 05-12-2017, 02:55 PM   #67
"Chosen"
NOT his black friend

You know how to make the Legion of Superheroes sell? It's easy. Get a better writer than Paul Levitz. I swear whenever I see him and Keith Giffen on a title I automatically know it will fail. Today, these two does not sell comics.
Old 05-12-2017, 03:12 PM   #68
Trey Strain
Guardian of the Universe

Again, no rocket science involved here. LoS isn't making any money for DC now, and everything they try out in an ongoing that's cordoned off from their shared universe flops.

What they should try to do with it therefore is obvious, except to the people who just don't want it changed, because of their personal preferences. Those folks are not going to like it done any other way, no matter how well an updated version might perform at the cash registers. And that's fine. They're entitled not to.
Old 05-12-2017, 03:13 PM   #69
"Chosen"
NOT his black friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trey Strain View Post
Again, no rocket science involved here. LoS isn't making any money for DC now, and everything they try out in an ongoing that's cordoned off from their shared universe flops.
A Legion in the present has proven that it doesn't make money either, so what's your next idea.
Old 05-12-2017, 03:28 PM   #70

Yeah, that flopped too.

You are welcome DC.
Old 05-12-2017, 04:55 PM   #71
Mister Ed

Is it just that Trey has everybody that is mentioning that "Legion in the present" has already been tried and flopped is on his "ignore" list? I can't think of any other reason why he repeatedly seems to pretend like "Legion in the present" is some great, new idea that is sure to improve sales. (Well, I CAN think of another reason, but if it's true, mentioning it won't make any difference, so I'll just hold my peace on that score.)
Old 05-12-2017, 05:02 PM   #72
"Chosen"
NOT his black friend

Quote:
Is it just that Trey has everybody that is mentioning that "Legion in the present" has already been tried and flopped is on his "ignore" list? I can't think of any other reason why he repeatedly seems to pretend like "Legion in the present" is some great, new idea that is sure to improve sales. (Well, I CAN think of another reason, but if it's true, mentioning it won't make any difference, so I'll just hold my peace on that score.)
eh, wouldn't surprise me if i was on the list.
Old 05-12-2017, 10:40 PM   #73
-//V\\-
Guardian of the Universe

Yeah you've quoted me like three times now brother and he's had to manually scroll past my insults LOL.

I think Trey's just slipping into dementia...

~//V\\~
Old 05-13-2017, 02:47 PM   #74
-//V\\-
Guardian of the Universe

Quote:
Originally Posted by "Chosen" View Post
You know how to make the Legion of Superheroes sell? It's easy. Get a better writer than Paul Levitz. I swear whenever I see him and Keith Giffen on a title I automatically know it will fail. Today, these two does not sell comics.
+1

I think what also made the Legion popular back in the day is something that unlike the X-Men they lack now. Which is new additions to the roster. We've seen Comet Queen and those other Legion Academy rejects get reintroduced like three times now...

Who'd we get the last go round? Glorith and Harmonia Li? And they didn't even go through the Academy!

Pull a Geoff Teen Titans like move [hate all you want, that series in the beginning was GOLD] and make three or four classic members mentors with four or five new additions. After two or three arcs and developing the rest of the cast build the team slowly with new additions.

Jim Shooter was responsible for a lot of the Legion getting created and that's what he did. He just built the Legion up one or two members at a time. I think he even created Rond Vidar.

~//V\\~