Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

If there were a team comic with four Lanterns...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Trey Strain View Post
    That's why I voted for Arisia. Guy could date her. Then you'd have two natural pairs on the team.
    If you read the GG:W series you would know why that would be wrong. [Guy thought of her as a little sister]

Comment

Originally posted by JohnMc View Post
      If you read the GG:W series you would know why that would be wrong. [Guy thought of her as a little sister]
      That was a LONG time ago, and it wasn't set in cement.

Comment

Originally posted by Trey Strain View Post
        That was a LONG time ago, and it wasn't set in cement.
        Guy actually said it at her funeral. Ofcourse that was before Johns decide to masturbate his ego by rendering events non canon that didn't line up with his vision of exonerating Hal [Arisia was apparently captured along with Boodika, Laira, Tomar-Tu,etc instead of them being clearly killed when Hal took their rings in Emerald Twilight] and regressed Guy to being an unlikable asshole because he and Didiot refuse to accept that they grew up.

Comment

Guy actually said it at her funeral. Ofcourse that was before Johns decide to masturbate his ego by rendering events non canon that didn't line up with his vision of exonerating Hal [Arisia was apparently captured along with Boodika, Laira, Tomar-Tu,etc instead of them being clearly killed when Hal took their rings in Emerald Twilight] and regressed Guy to being an unlikable asshole because he and Didiot refuse to accept that they grew up.
          A lot of that I don't like but Rebirth undoing the volition of Hal as Parallax I will always be grateful for. In my mind, that was just fixing a much worse mistake. If Hal had been what Parallax was in the 90s, he was irredeemable as a superhero. I might be good drama (tragedy), but it's bad for a superhero.

Comment

Hal had never been 100% irredeemable, even if Batman sure thought so at the time.
            But everything he did, every line he crossed, he meant to undo anyway, first with the power of the Central Battery, later through Zero Hour. To him, those were necessary and reversable steps on the way to the big retcon that Johns later provided.

When they started to move away from that characterization in Parallax View (because editorial didn't allow the original plan of Hal creating a new Silver Age world where everything was like Earth-1 before Crisis), he also started his road to redemption, with major steps being the Final Night Parallax one-shot, the ending to Final Night and then Day of Judgment. Continuing his stint as the Spectre and slowly burning away his own sins would have been a great alternative to Rebirth. But instead, Johns decided to throw out the whole orphanage along with the bathwater.

Comment

Originally posted by Michael Heide View Post
              ...Continuing his stint as the Spectre and slowly burning away his own sins would have been a great alternative to Rebirth. But instead, Johns decided to throw out the whole orphanage along with the bathwater.
              Yeah, but there would be no reason to believe that the GotU let alone the rest of the GLC would receive him back as a GL (which is what I really mean by redeemable here*--going back to square one) and that's all I'm interested in for Hal. Sure he showed regret and made contrition, but that wouldn't be sufficient reason to trust him again with universe's most powerful standard-issue weapon.

But, yeah, if Zero Hour had been a full reset presumably he would've reset himself too with no one (including reset Hal) the wiser. That could've worked because the new Hal would essentially be innocent.

*I'm talking working narrative here, not actual morality since, as Christian, redemption is central to my worldview.
              Space Cop
              The Dandy
              Last edited by Space Cop; 05-23-2019, 01:01 PM.

Comment

Now I want to read a Marz era story in which Ganthet and Hal meld minds and see the world like each other for a day, changing both characters in the process. That would have been cool.

Comment

[Arisia was apparently captured along with Boodika, Laira, Tomar-Tu,etc instead of them being clearly killed when Hal took their rings in Emerald Twilight]
                  I don't think they were "clearly killed". I mean, Hal even explicitly said in Emerald Twilight that they WEREN'T killed. True, they didn't have much chance of rescue, and if it had been revealed that they DID die (the Legacy HC GN, in fact did reveal that Boodika survived, but Tomar Tu did not, IIRC) that wouldn't have been too strange, but they weren't "clearly killed" in ET.

Comment

Working...
                  X