An Earth 1 Alan Scott

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• An Earth 1 Alan Scott

Let's say that Earth 2 continues in the DCU as it is. Now suppose that there could be a character on Earth 1 who was more traditionally like Alan -- a straight family man with children named Jenny and Todd, and all that -- except that he'd be a member of the GLC and have a GLC costume.

The Earth 1 character couldn't be called Alan Scott, so what would you call him? Try to think of some names. They can be somehow reminiscent of "Alan Scott," or they can be something different.

Suggestions, please.

Scott Alan

Comment

Albert Scottington III

Comment

Allen Skott

Comment

Martin Jordan (and Hal's middle name is Todd)

Comment

Al the Scotsman.

Comment

Allan Scottermain.

Comment

Alan Ladd

That was Nodell's original choice (to play on Aladin) until someone mentioned an actor with that name. But since only us Western fans remember Alan Ladd now and since he's less famous than Jon Stewart these days, I think they could safely use it.

Comment

How about just having the traditional Alan Scott on Earth-1, or anywhere in fact. TBH I don't really care about his sexuality, I care about what makes Alan Alan. For example, the traditional red costume, his original origin and so forth. maybe he should be bi-sexual, that way he could have his family such as Jade, but also have that fiancé Sam (I think that was his name). That'd please everyone and could open up some interesting character development. But yeah if I had my way Alan would be on Prime Earth. Maybe if they wanted to keep the gay Alan Scott they have now, have him on Earth-1 and have Earth-2 be full of vintage heroes and have the old JSA and golden age heroes.
                  Originally posted by IonFan
                  (even if the ear sucking helped get me off faster)
                  Originally posted by Big Daddy Caesar
                  If I had things like the internet and a laptop as a kid, I never would have left my room as a teenager.
                  Originally posted by Quaker
                  I am the Geoff Johns of the GLCMB.

Comment

Originally posted by DeadTOOL View Post
                    maybe he should be bi-sexual, that way he could have his family such as Jade, but also have that fiancé Sam (I think that was his name). That'd please everyone...

No seriously, you think that would please everyone?

Comment

Originally posted by Mister Ed View Post

No seriously, you think that would please everyone?
                      No, I think it'd be pretty Goddamn far from pleasing everyone.

Comment

What would the problem be?
                        If I had things like the internet and a laptop as a kid, I never would have left my room as a teenager.

Comment

What would the problem be?
                          That the character was still a totally different character? From EITHER of the other versions? Surely you can imagine that people that were fans of EITHER version would be less than enthused to have the Alan Scott they prefer replaced with an mish-mash amalgam of two different ones?

Comment

Originally posted by Mister Ed View Post
                            That the character was still a totally different character? From EITHER of the other versions? Surely you can imagine that people that were fans of EITHER version would be less than enthused to have the Alan Scott they prefer replaced with an mish-mash amalgam of two different ones?
                            How can his sexuality define the character so much?

Comment

How can his sexuality define the character so much?
                              The history defines the character. You cannot make arbitrary changes to the character's sexuality (or his name, or his family status, or what have you) and still have it be the same character. Most of DC's characters are no longer the same character due to them being divorced from much of their history, but usually you can kind of squint and pretend that they are the same. If you have Alan Scott dating a guy, he is OBVIOUSLY completely divorced from the old Alan Scott's history. If you have Alan Scott with a couple kids, he's OBVIOUSLY divorced from the new Alan Scott's history. The amalgam you create might share various characteristics with both the other versions, but he clearly won't actually BE either of them, which will, very likely, be seen as less than ideal for people that are really invested in following one or the other of the other versions.

I don't doubt that what you propose would be fine with SOME people. But to think that it would make EVERYBODY happy just seems...naive.

Comment

Working...
                              X