The Green Lantern Corps Message Board

Go Back   The Green Lantern Corps Message Board > General > General/About Us
FLASHCHAT

General

Old 04-25-2018, 12:22 PM   #3276
Trey Strain
Guardian of the Universe

I watched The Asphyx, a British movie from 1972 that's not great but is pretty good. It should be better known than it is. I recommend it.
Trey Strain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2018, 06:04 PM   #3277
Jeff
Guardian of the Universe

Happy LV426, guys
Old 04-26-2018, 07:53 PM   #3278
Space Cop
The Dandy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff View Post
Happy LV426, guys
Has this been going on long because this is the first year I've heard of "Alien Day." More important to me will be next year's 40th anniversary.
Old 04-26-2018, 10:43 PM   #3279
Jeff
Guardian of the Universe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Space Cop View Post
Has this been going on long because this is the first year I've heard of "Alien Day." More important to me will be next year's 40th anniversary.
I found out about it on Instagram a couple years ago. The fandom holds it in high regard, same as May the 4th for SW fans. If you search the tag #alienday on Insta, people have all sorts of stuff going on to celebrate the day.

Here's my contribution so far:

https://www.instagram.com/p/BiCrgy4AF09/

I will be posting a couple more tonight, taking a break from the usual tf stuff.
Old 04-27-2018, 03:27 AM   #3280
Big Daddy Dave Skywalker
Moisture Farmer

LV426...that's hilarious. Forget those 420 guys!

Though I do think I will mimic Space Cop's idea and do my marathon next year for thebig anniversary.

...And by marathon, it will likely be just an Alien/Aliens double feature. Get out while the getting is good.
Old 04-27-2018, 04:04 AM   #3281
Space Cop
The Dandy

^I don't get the fake days. If you're going to celebrate a franchise (which I fully support) the most logical date would be the franchise's birthday.* So, for Star Wars, it would be May 25.

The next most logical would be a date that is significant within the story like Nov. 5 for Back to the Future or First Contact Day (or Kirk's birthday) for Star Trek.

The very last date I would choose would be a pun or a numerological rendering of a non-date. That makes no sense. And since I've gotten multiple e-mail ads for May the Fourth and now one for Alien Day, they feel suspciously like marketing gimmicks.

Anyway, LV is 55 so Alien Day should only work in the years 1955, 2055 etc.

*I have often done this with Doctor Who, recently with Star Trek, and for years with Plan 9.

Last edited by Space Cop; 04-27-2018 at 04:18 AM.
Space Cop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2018, 01:30 PM   #3282
Jeff
Guardian of the Universe

I watched the first 2 Alien movies plus AvP. And posted 2 more pics on Instagram.
Old 04-27-2018, 10:20 PM   #3283
Space Cop
The Dandy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff View Post
I watched the first 2 Alien movies plus AvP. And posted 2 more pics on Instagram.
Over four hours of movies. That's a pretty big commitment. A vlogger I know from G-Fest is doing a Youtube series in celebration of Alien. So far, he did the suit, the never-produced cartoon, and highlighted 10 spfx:

+ YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.

+ YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.

+ YouTube Video
Old 04-27-2018, 11:04 PM   #3284
Big Daddy Dave Skywalker
Moisture Farmer

It's amazing how well both Alien and Aliens hold up to this very day. They just don't make movies that good anymore, which is a shame. Even Riddley Scott can't seem to remember what made his movie work so well, instead going for this modern slick fast paced movie that (IMO) doesn't even come close to raising the bar.
Old 04-27-2018, 11:10 PM   #3285
Space Cop
The Dandy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Daddy Dave Skywalker View Post
It's amazing how well both Alien and Aliens hold up to this very day. They just don't make movies that good anymore, which is a shame. Even Riddley Scott can't seem to remember what made his movie work so well, instead going for this modern slick fast paced movie that (IMO) doesn't even come close to raising the bar.
Maybe, but I wouldn't say Prometheus' problem was that it was too fast paced and compared to Alien, Cameron's Aliens is very fast paced. I liked Prometheus and Alien: Covenant, but I didn't love them. I can't quite pin it down, though. They're just off key. Maybe trying to explain too much and getting too metaphysical? In Alien, you're with the crew trying to figure out what the heck the xeno is and how it can possibly be survived and even in the sequel they clearly don't understand them yet, but with the last two, it's like we're getting their original in detail.

Last edited by Space Cop; 04-27-2018 at 11:14 PM.
Old 05-03-2018, 09:40 PM   #3286
Agent Purple
The Illustrated Man

Activists burn effigy of President Rodrigo Duterte, and it looks like a horror film version of Satan

Seriously, that effigy looks like a gigantic prop for a horror flick about the Devil himself attacking a city.
Old 05-03-2018, 10:13 PM   #3287
Mister Ed
Horse of a Different Color

It sure doesn't look like Duterte, though. I assume they just had to tell people that it was an effigy of him...
Old 05-03-2018, 10:39 PM   #3288
Agent Purple
The Illustrated Man

Not being well-versed in the language, I'm going to assume all the writing makes it clear he's the Asshole-in-Chief.
Old 05-03-2018, 11:06 PM   #3289
Mister Ed
Horse of a Different Color

Most likely. Plus I guess that the odds are good that if you attend an effigy-burning, you probably know who it is supposed to be before you even see it.
Old 05-03-2018, 11:59 PM   #3290
Space Cop
The Dandy

Last edited by Space Cop; 05-04-2018 at 01:11 AM.
Old 05-15-2018, 10:24 PM   #3291
Space Cop
The Dandy

This was alright. I've seen three of these, own one, and have heard off all of them. Of the two I haven't seen, I just pushed one up my Netflix queue.

+ YouTube Video
Old 05-15-2018, 11:10 PM   #3292
Agent Purple
The Illustrated Man

Aw man, The Stuff. I watched that fairly recently. House of Mysterious Secrets has been advertising a bunch of Xtro items recently, also.

I kind of want to watch The Beast Within now.
Old 05-15-2018, 11:38 PM   #3293
Big Daddy Dave Skywalker
Moisture Farmer

The Stuff was like the Blob right?
Old 05-15-2018, 11:42 PM   #3294
Agent Purple
The Illustrated Man

Yeah, only instead of it eating you, you're eating it.

But then it totally eats you from the inside, like a dad joke.
Old 05-16-2018, 03:54 AM   #3295
Space Cop
The Dandy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Daddy Dave Skywalker View Post
The Stuff was like the Blob right?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agent Purple View Post
Yeah, only instead of it eating you, you're eating it.

But then it totally eats you from the inside, like a dad joke.

Yeah, but the Blob connections don't go beyond the amorphous threat. It's really about rampant, dangerous consumerism.

Quote:
I kind of want to watch The Beast Within now.
That's the one I shot to the top of the queue.

Last edited by Space Cop; 05-16-2018 at 03:57 AM.
Old 05-16-2018, 04:52 AM   #3296
Jeff
Guardian of the Universe

The Beast Within was pretty cool for its era. If I remember right, it had a certain amount of late 70's/early 80's schlock thrown in for good measure, and was interesting to watch. I think it was one of the very first movies I ever bought from iTunes and viewed on my Mac. Good times.
Old 05-27-2018, 07:05 PM   #3297
Agent Purple
The Illustrated Man

Galaxy of Terror (alias Mind Warp) (1981)

"It is the only way."

Contact is lost with a spaceship on a remote world, and a rescue team is dispatched the recover the crew. But the world they arrive on is filled with horrors that pick the rescuers off one by one...

I saw James Rolfe's review of this for Monster Madness ages ago, and wanted to get it ever since. Decided to recently check eBay for a fairly cheap Blu-ray and got lucky.

Gotta say the visuals are really gorgeous, 1970s-style spaceship interiors that are clean, utilitarian, and claustrophobic all at once. The landscape of Morganthus is damn eerie and desolate, very much like the planet the crew of the Nostramus explores in Alien.

I gotta say I liked the giant pyramid. Huge, labyrinthine and creepy as hell. It's more like a decaying prison than anything else, the surface all cracked apart to resemble scales or plates.

The crew! The captain was more irritating than not, kind of reminded me of olden-days Carrie Fisher but if she played a gray-haired jerk instead of Princess Leia. My dad was pleasantly surprised to see Tony Walston on camera. I liked both Sid Haig and Robert Englund, and I'm aware of Haig's insistence of being given the least amount of dialog because he didn't want to be in the film or some such (gotta watch the extras at some point soon). Seeing a young Englund was like seeing Daniel Stern from my childhood again. That one security officer was a total dick, and both my dad and I noticed when he suddenly developed a limp.

And of course, the deaths. First one was cryptic, I get it was meant to serve as a taste of things to come. From there we've got those leeches taking out the commander, the bug latching onto that rambling coward, the crystal crawling inside the skin, the doorway roasting, the constricting tendrils, the predator, and...that giant maggot sex scene. Yep, I remember Rolfe talking about that, and then telling my one boss about it (he was completely floored, didn't expect me to say such a thing at all).

The ending was pretty damn entertaining, though I think I might have to watch it again because I don't remember what happens to Englund and I want to hear again some of the details during the final exchange for a better grasp of the last rescuer's fate.

Overall I really liked this, and I'm glad I picked it up. The Blu-ray even comes with a reversible cover in case one prefers the alternate title! Also, this film reminded me of my younger days as a kid, reading the Star Wars: Galaxy of Fear kids' horror books.
Old 05-27-2018, 08:45 PM   #3298
Space Cop
The Dandy

^I watched that movie with a friend from church and didn't know about "the" scene. It was fine---neither of us is particularly prudish---but it was funny out of the blue. I remember him saying something like "wait a minute, was she just raped?"

BTW: if you like those SW/Alien rip-offs, Rifftrax is doing a live riff of Space Mutiny next month (June 14, rebroadcast on 19th), which will be shown in theaters through Fathom. I'm hoping to go.

Last edited by Space Cop; 05-27-2018 at 08:58 PM.
Old 05-28-2018, 12:01 AM   #3299
Agent Purple
The Illustrated Man

Did they ever put Space Mutiny on home release riffed? Because then I would definitely buy it. I know I remember MST3K doing it ages ago, but I mean aside from that.
Old 05-28-2018, 12:50 AM   #3300
Space Cop
The Dandy

Quote:
Did they ever put Space Mutiny on home release riffed? Because then I would definitely buy it. I know I remember MST3K doing it ages ago, but I mean aside from that.
It looks like you can only get the MST3K version in a collection, but hold on for a bit; a lot of these get releases after they've made the rounds.

I have to replace my Plan 9 riff some day and now they have two versions. My DVD got scratched (I suspect from someone I lent it to, but whatever).

Last edited by Space Cop; 05-28-2018 at 12:58 AM.