The Green Lantern Corps Message Board

Go Back   The Green Lantern Corps Message Board > Green Lanternverse > Other Comics
FLASHCHAT

Miscellaneous GL Comics

Old 07-08-2012, 09:18 PM   #1
GaMeBoY439
Kyle's Nude Model

Question Good Marvel Starting Point?

Hey Guys,

I'm new to comics and I'm primarily wondering if Marvel has any universe-spanning events that change the face of everything, like DC has with their "Crises" (Crisis on Infinite Earths, Infinite Crisis, etc etc). I know Marvel obviously has big crossover events like Civil War or Fear Itself, but I'm wondering if there are any that have changes such as universe -> multiverse (like DC) or anything else that'll tell you what the "state of Marvel" is so to speak.

If not, I'm planning on starting off with Spider-Man (he's my favorite super hero :-D lol) and I'm gonna pick up at Amazing Spider-man #546, so from Brand New Day onward. I figure it gives me a nice chunk of reading to catch up with, lol. Although I know there a ton of other Spider titles too right? There's the ultimate universe stuff, Avenging Spiderman, etc etc. So some advice on how to go about those would also be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Best,
GB
Look to the stars-- For hope burns bright!
GaMeBoY439 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 10:49 PM   #2
FrEaKjOkErXXX
Torch Bearer

I would say start at Marvel Now. Marvel has an event every year so it isn't the easiest thing to jump into.
FrEaKjOkErXXX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 10:57 PM   #3
Quaker
Leader of the Resistance

Send a message via Skype™ to Quaker

I would recommend jumping in after this current even wraps up in September, I believe. The easiest thing to do for Marvel is to start once their post-event, new status quo is set up; however, if you wanted to know the events leading up to what we have now, I think the order would be:

House of M
Civil War
Messiah Complex
Secret Invasion
Utopia
Siege
Second Coming
Schism
Avengers vs. X-Men

That's if you're someone who wants the ENTIRE backstory. I really wouldn't recommend that. There's three new Avengers titles starting in the fall with great creators on the books, as well as a new X-Men title. I'd recommend picking those up. You seem fine with Spidey going with Brand New Day forward, but you could also start at the Big Time arc, beginning in #648, which is a more recent jumping on point. Tons of great stories in that original BND run though!

Honestly though, if you're new to comics, I would definitely check out some independent comics. Most people generally agree that indie titles are superior to the majority of stuff Marvel and DC puts out. I could help you with some of those titles if you'd like as well. Welcome to comics! Enjoy the fun.
Old 07-08-2012, 11:10 PM   #4
Agent Purple
The Illustrated Man

Secret Invasion, Avengers vs X-Men, and Annihilation are the only recent universe-affecting events I can recall.
Old 07-09-2012, 01:00 AM   #5
FrEaKjOkErXXX
Torch Bearer

Quote:
Originally Posted by metalliccorps View Post

House of M
Civil War
Messiah Complex
Secret Invasion
Utopia
Siege
Second Coming
Schism
Avengers vs. X-Men

Also World War Hulk. I think it came after Civil War.
Old 07-09-2012, 01:01 AM   #6
Agent Purple
The Illustrated Man

Gotta read Planet Hulk if you plan to read World War Hulk, though, since Planet precedes it.
Old 07-09-2012, 01:13 AM   #7
Quaker
Leader of the Resistance

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrEaKjOkErXXX View Post
Also World War Hulk. I think it came after Civil War.
Thought it might be unnecessary in the grand scheme of things.
Old 07-09-2012, 01:17 AM   #8
Agent Purple
The Illustrated Man

Illuminati has some behind-the-scenes-setup stuff that's used in other works, such as Secret Invasion, as I recall.
Old 07-09-2012, 02:47 AM   #9
Marvelous Iggy
God Of Turtles

Send a message via Skype™ to Marvelous Iggy

The recently relaunched Daredevil series and recently relaunched Punisher series.
Marvelous Iggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 11:18 AM   #10
Tazer
That Evil, Yellow Bastiche

Yo.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaMeBoY439 View Post
I'm new to comics and I'm primarily wondering if Marvel has any universe-spanning events that change the face of everything, like DC has with their "Crises" (Crisis on Infinite Earths, Infinite Crisis, etc etc). I know Marvel obviously has big crossover events like Civil War or Fear Itself, but I'm wondering if there are any that have changes such as universe -> multiverse (like DC) or anything else that'll tell you what the "state of Marvel" is so to speak.
the only things like that which Marvels done would be the AoA -stuff (as that involved a pocket universe), and The Thanos Imperative -mini (which involved malignant, severely twisted dupes of MU-heroes who (in their universe) couldnt die, but in general Marvel hasnt had anything that falls along the lines of wat yur asking.

now, as for the "TI" -example I would say go back & get "Annihilation", "War of Kings", toss in some Guardians of the Galaxy -trades (or maybe just the last 6 - 8 ish's or so, as Im not too sure if its been collected) for some background filling-in, and then follow it up w/"TI" last (I want to say try to get a Nova -trade or 2, but its not REALLY necessary if U just want to read the big storyline.)

thats pretty much where everything ends, unfortunately, as Marvel gave up on off-Earth adventures for awhile...........

Tazer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew NDB View Post
Geoff Johns should have a 10 mile restraining order from comic books, let alone films.
Tazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 11:28 AM   #11
FrEaKjOkErXXX
Torch Bearer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agent Purple View Post
Gotta read Planet Hulk if you plan to read World War Hulk, though, since Planet precedes it.
Agreed. Planet Hulk is better than WWH but you should still read both.
Old 07-09-2012, 12:55 PM   #12
Space Cop
The Dandy

There is no good Marvel starting point. Only good Marvel stopping points.
Space Cop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 03:44 PM   #13
GaMeBoY439
Kyle's Nude Model

Thanks for all the input guys! I think I have a better idea of what my plan will be for Marvel. I generally wanna do it by character anyway. So as I said, I'll be catching up with Spidey first, then probably read Iron Man, Avengers, Fantastic Four, etc etc. I'll read the big events as I get to them, within those catchups, i.e. when I start hitting Civil War issues in Amazing Spider-man, I'll look up a reading order and read the whole event!

I really want to read Civil War, as it seems epic as all can be, lol!! So I'll probably just start my catch-up from around there, maybe House of M if that's really good/important as well.
Old 07-09-2012, 04:16 PM   #14
GaMeBoY439
Kyle's Nude Model

Oh yeah and, metallicorps, I am def going to check out some independent comics as well. So far, I really REALLY want to check out Brian Wood's DMZ, as that looks awesome, lol, and eventually his new series The Massive. Also, I just picked up the complete Maus, I heard that's an amazing graphic novel. I also wanna check out Incorruptible and Irredeemable by Mark Waid.

So yeah, non-big 2 titles are definitely on my radar as well :-D lol
Old 07-09-2012, 05:37 PM   #15
Quaker
Leader of the Resistance

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaMeBoY439 View Post
Oh yeah and, metallicorps, I am def going to check out some independent comics as well. So far, I really REALLY want to check out Brian Wood's DMZ, as that looks awesome, lol, and eventually his new series The Massive. Also, I just picked up the complete Maus, I heard that's an amazing graphic novel. I also wanna check out Incorruptible and Irredeemable by Mark Waid.

So yeah, non-big 2 titles are definitely on my radar as well :-D lol
Some things that I really like:

Walking Dead
Scalped
Criminal
Chew
American Vampire
Sweet Tooth

Some books I hear great things about:

Invincible
Powers
Y: The Last Man
Ex Machina
Fables
100 Bullets

Also, Dark Horse just released two issues of Mind MGMT by Matt Kindt. You have chance to get caught up on those easily. It's worth it. Demo is another series by Brian Wood from Vertigo you might want to check out then.
Old 07-09-2012, 07:03 PM   #16
GaMeBoY439
Kyle's Nude Model

Thanks for the suggestions! I'll keep an eye out for those :-D
Old 07-09-2012, 10:22 PM   #17
Hypo
Lil' Leaguer

Like others have said Marvel doesn't really have any "universe changing" events like DC's Crises, their events do however generally set up a new universe wide status quo a la Secret Invasion -> Dark Reign, Siege -> Heroic Age, etc. If you're looking for a good jumping on point into modern Marvel...I can't really think of an obvious one, I guess you could read the original volume of The New Avengers by Bendis, that did kinda kick off the current era of Marvel Comics in my opinion, otherwise just jump on with Marvel Now like others have suggested.

As for Spider-Man, I'd say jump on with BND, these two posts might help with that. For Avengers, Bendis has obviously been running that franchise since 2004 so that's a lot of reading to do and with Fantastic Four I'd say jump on with the beginning of Hickman's run.