The Green Lantern Corps Message Board

Go Back   The Green Lantern Corps Message Board > Green Lanternverse > Other Comics
FLASHCHAT

Miscellaneous GL Comics

Old 10-02-2014, 08:20 PM   #51
Tazer
That Evil, Yellow Bastiche

Yo.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonasmorking View Post
You're right, it does put a large question mark on why Kyle Rayner is even in the story line (my favourite). He is refered to as their torchbearer and some sort of saviour just before Blackest night (just reread that part) but what that refers to is a bit hazy when reading what you guys wrote.
him being called that was just a token of respect for (or, iow, a bone toss to) Kyle fans who had to contend with the fact that he wasnt the only GL anymore; a good chunk of them dont realize Ganthet knew where Guy was, and had even gone to him first w/that new Ring, but was turned away.

GJ likely knew (or had a clue that) there had been a big divide in the fanbase over ET, and prolly didnt want to lose any fans over a return to the Corps being back in operation.

Tazer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew NDB View Post
Geoff Johns should have a 10 mile restraining order from comic books, let alone films.
Tazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2014, 08:23 PM   #52
Mister Ed
Horse of a Different Color

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tazer View Post
a good chunk of them dont realize Ganthet knew where Guy was, and had even gone to him first w/that new Ring, but was turned away.
Or so Guy SAID.

At the time, Guy's character was still such that I wouldn't have been at ALL surprised to find he made that up to save face. It certainly doesn't fit with what we saw of the chain of events, or ever heard from Ganthet.
Old 10-03-2014, 12:43 AM   #53
Ωmega Man
Guardian of the Universe

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonasmorking View Post
Yet another question (I'm just throwing at you guys). Where would you put the Justice league (New 52) in with the new Green Lantern comics. I'm guessing that origin should be somewhere in the beginning of volume five and the villains journey should be somewhere around Revenge of the Black hand but what about the others (I've sort of neglected the Justice League TPB's).
The New52 runs on a 5 year timeline. Hal, Superman, and the rest have all been doing the hero thing roughly that long and whatever adventures TPTB are using as cannon happened within the 5 years. It sounds stupid, but now all of the adventures that will surely be tweaked to fit into the New52 when touched on will be altered. The first arc or two of the New52 Justice League was a flashback to the five years ago point and the formation of the League, while Guy, John, and Kyle were all introduced into the universe some unspecific time later. I'd guess that the War of Light and Blackest Night arcs happened within a few months just before the New52 relaunch time-wise, same thing goes for the death of Batman.

The main thing that pisses me off about the New52 is all the time the other GL's spent with the League is out the window now. Kyle was never a member of the JLA with Wally [or hook handed Aquaman], Guy's League experience boils down to a few adventures with the New52 JL International led by Booster Gold, and John never filled a spot on any roster same as Kyle.

^^^Hope that helps answer some of your questions anyway.

~KL~
Ωmega Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2014, 01:00 AM   #54
Tazer

Yo.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister Ed View Post
Or so Guy SAID.

At the time, Guy's character was still such that I wouldn't have been at ALL surprised to find he made that up to save face. It certainly doesn't fit with what we saw of the chain of events, or ever heard from Ganthet.
I agree w/this, but the main reason I accept Guys story is that it would be pretty stupid for Ganthet to just completely ignore all of the other warriors he's known & worked with over the years (human & otherwise), in order to start from scratch.

Tazer

Quote:
Geoff Johns should have a 10 mile restraining order from comic books, let alone films.
Old 10-03-2014, 01:21 AM   #55
Ωmega Man
Guardian of the Universe

Depends on how he viewed Guy personally. If there was one Lantern who went against Guardian orders more than Hal, it'd HAVE to be Guy. Plus, how you gonna pretend to be cool with an agent of yours secretly being part Vuldarian? If I had a nephew who all of a sudden could morph his body and appear to be covered in war paint , I sure as hell wouldn't know what to think. Let alone give him the last 'greatest weapon in the universe'...

~KL~
Ωmega Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2014, 02:44 PM   #56
Mister Ed
Horse of a Different Color

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tazer View Post
Yo.

I agree w/this, but the main reason I accept Guys story is that it would be pretty stupid for Ganthet to just completely ignore all of the other warriors he's known & worked with over the years (human & otherwise), in order to start from scratch.

Tazer
I kind of got the impression that might have been deliberate. I mean, the greatest (OK, I'll say "arguably the greatest") GL they had, from Earth, has just turned against the Corps. If you are Ganthet, is your first instinct for a replacement going to be to go to the same planet and use the SAME EXACT criteria? Maybe he figured he needed something different. (Of course, really, Kyle's induction as originally presented made little sense, because it depended on Ganthet having limited time to decide, yet NEVER, even later, explained why that was.)
Old 10-03-2014, 02:58 PM   #57
Tazer

Yo.

agreed. I got that that DC wanted to start fresh, lower the scope/expectations of wat the Ring is capable of, wat we could expect from stories involving it AND give us a new protagonist who was more like a regular joe (as if that was something needed), but Id always hoped that there'd be some sort of explanation behind the Oans going suicidal (and why Ganthet alone didnt).........but there wasnt; we're NEVER given a reason for why shit went down the way it did, and tbqh it still bugs me to this day.

Tazer

Quote: