S
    P
    O
    I
    L
    E
    R
    S

So while Kyle is training Baz he creates a few dozen constructs of himself in his various suits. Ion 1.0 with his arm around Ion 2.0, White Lantern Kyle, his more Corps standard uniform after becoming Parallax, his Jim Lee suit...

So is the entire DCU already shifting back to Pre-New52 history with the picture of Jade in Kyle's room back on Oa in the last issue of GLC or is this just artists not being told this or that happened?

~//V\\~

Originally posted by -//V\\- View Post
    ...So while Kyle is training Baz he creates a few dozen constructs of himself in his various suits. Ion 1.0 with his arm around Ion 2.0, White Lantern Kyle, his more Corps standard uniform after becoming Parallax, his Jim Lee suit...
    I liked that bit. I bet IonFan would dig it if he were reading the books.

Comment

Originally posted by -//V\\- View Post
      S
      P
      O
      I
      L
      E
      R
      S

So while Kyle is training Baz he creates a few dozen constructs of himself in his various suits. Ion 1.0 with his arm around Ion 2.0, White Lantern Kyle, his more Corps standard uniform after becoming Parallax, his Jim Lee suit...

So is the entire DCU already shifting back to Pre-New52 history with the picture of Jade in Kyle's room back on Oa in the last issue of GLC or is this just artists not being told this or that happened?

~//V\\~
      This why I hate the constant rebooting over the last few years. Its hard to keep track of stuff.

Comment

I hate when they treat the Green Lantern Corps as a military force instead of a police corps. A misunderstanding we had never suffered before the Geoff Johns's run (I still remember Kilowog as a scientific-technician guy, not the sarge they have transformed him in…).

And sure, I don´t like this story with Baz and Cruz playing soldiers in Mogo.

Comment

Why is Kyle training Baz and not Jess? Kinda a wasted oportunity considering they are the youngest and also both are latinxs (or prob bc of that?) hope they team up or someting later and not with lackluster Baz

I guess John know the effect Kyle has on girls

Comment

John wanted Kyle to keep it in his pants. Baz was taking a risk enough letting Kyle go and find her. I think Kyle's banged the most Lantern chicks at this point.

Kyle's Hispanic background has about as much influence on who he is as the 1/8th Portuguese in my bloodline has on me. Which is barely any at all. I was surprised when he spoke Spanish in Omega Men...

~//V\\~

Comment

Anyway, that Spanish root is Pure-New52, isn´t it? I was also shocked when I saw Kyle speaking Spanish in Omega Men. What I remember is Kyle being half-Irish or something like that...

Comment

He was presented as Irish/Irish American the entirety of the original Ron Marz run. And his father was said to be Aaron Rayner, who's father knew Buck Wargo. After Winick didn't do his homework, as if introducing a gay teen wasn't enough for that MTV generation, he decided Kyle needed to be a minority and made his father Spanish with the supposed name of Gabriel Vasquez. The immediate issue after that was a Secret Files issue where Jade used random Spanish words in her day to day talk like she'd been doing it for years and from issues#150 to like #153 Kyle had a horrible new ring design as well as a darker skin tone.

I don't mind if he's part Spanish on his Dad's side, but his Dad wasn't a big part of his life. At all. Him suddenly being that Spanish wasn't needed when the character sold fine as just another white guy with black hair. It's like me getting a tan, learning a little Portuguese, and acting like a minority just because I'm a little of this or that.

They basically pulled an Iris West before it was popular. But it wasn't an adventure in the timestream that made him suddenly more Spanish. It was a writer either not doing his homework or just not caring. His dad was shown as being a white guy with a bunch of aliases working for the government, who's brother Kyle mistook for his dad who wound up trying to exploit his power during an adventure with GA's son Conner Hawke.

I liked bits of Omega Men but the series focused too much on alien politics and not enough cosmic superhero'ing. I even liked the general concept of Kyle being an Omega Lantern. He was raised Catholic though by his Irish mother, so the quote should've been something in Gaelic.

~//V\\~

Comment

Mexican from his father side be exact. Not Spanish.

(gotta love how anytime someone mention this some GL fans always go out of their way to explain how he should NOT be hispanic/latino lol trumpies much? XD jk)
                  Noct
                  Sinestro's Sparring Partner
                  Last edited by Noct; 05-30-2017, 03:00 AM.

Comment

As I've recently read most of Ron Marz´s issues and it has been years since the last time I reread Judd Winick's, I'd completely forgotten about those changes in Kyle's past and skin (!). I guess it wasn´t Winick's fault but Superboy-Prime puches's

And yes, Gabriel Vasquez sounds more like a Mexican name than like a Spanish one (in this case, it would probably be Gabriel Vázquez).

Comment

Originally posted by Noct View Post
                      Mexican from his father side be exact. Not Spanish.

(gotta love how anytime someone mention this some GL fans always go out of their way to explain how he should NOT be hispanic/latino lol trumpies much? XD jk)
                      I'm just stating for the first eight or so years of the character's publication history [when he was the 3rd best selling franchise not including anything with Superman or Batman] he was just another white dude with black hair in the DCU. And since that one page in that one issue where it mattered his dad was Mexican... that's ALL he's good for now. THAT'S his defining characteristic. Another box checked off the list. Make a Mexican character. Don't just make a character Mexican.

We've got a pretty cool Ghost Rider right now in Robbie Reyes, you think DC would ever make a Hispanic Flash? I doubt it just because of Speedy Gonzales jokes... and that's a damn shame. Hell, aside from Aquagirl/Lorena [I really miss that one], the current Blue Beetle, and Vibe.... I can't think of any other Hispanic DCU characters other than supporting characters like Renee Montoya.

And for the record I don't support hate mongers, but I also don't vote for dumb bitches. I was rooting for Bernie if it's anybody's business.

~//V\\~

Comment

Well I dont mind that Kyle is latino the same way I dont care Hal is Jew, John is black, Baz is muslim and Jess a woman. The fact Baz and to a lesser extend Jess are bad characters who no one asked for when there was enough already is another different thing.

Actually, I LIKE that Kyle is not only latino but Mexican (the nerve!) if only to trigger snowflakes (trumpies or not--not saying anyone here is but-) waaah white genocide waaah

Kyle was already one of my fav characters before he found out about his father and that he was hispanic, this only made him more comfortable to read knowing he wasnt a white republican like Hal Jordan used to be in the silver age (he kinda still is lol)

What you are describing in your mind is an stereotype of what a latino/hispanic/mexican is supposed to be or act. In other words the textbook definition of prejudice

Latinos are prob the most diverse race/ethnicy in the world they could be the whitest or brownest person you ever seen. Hell your mom or dad or grandad could be of hispanic origin and you dont even know it XD
                        Noct
                        Sinestro's Sparring Partner
                        Last edited by Noct; 05-30-2017, 11:41 AM.

Comment

Well I dont mind that Kyle is latino the same way I dont care Hal is Jew...
                          The only reference I remember to Hal being Jewish was in the cartoon. In fact, there's some old Justice League comic where the League is celebrating Christmas and Hal makes a point of telling Barry that he knows he celebrates Hanukkah, which implied at the time that Hal celebrated Christmas.

I don't mind if he is since religion and genealogy have never been a big part of his story, but I can't think of any Jewish background in Hal's comics.
                          Space Cop
                          The Dandy
                          Last edited by Space Cop; 05-30-2017, 12:49 PM.

Comment

Tom King on Hal Jordan:

"75 years ago these Jewish creators could not create explicitly Jewish characters. It’s nice to know that now we can.”

From Darkseid War Green Lantern:

http://jewishstandard.timesofisrael....-galactic-cop/

Thats why I love King. He does his research.

Comment

What you are describing in your mind is an stereotype of what a latino/hispanic/mexican is supposed to be or act. In other words the textbook definition of prejudice

Latinos are prob the most diverse race/ethnicy in the world they could be the whitest or brownest person you ever seen. Hell your mom or dad or grandad could be of hispanic origin and you dont even know it XD
                              I mentioned no stereotype, just that a Mexican father who wasn't around shouldn't impact his son's life growing up like it magically has now. He quite literally went from being a white dude with black hair to his girlfriend [who I don't believe is of Hispanic heritage] throwing in Spanish words in day to day convo like they'd been doing it for years and being a character like something out of MTV's the Real World. And believe it or not... that's where Judd Winick first got his start.

I'm not saying that Kyle HAS to act this way or that way, just that changing him over night was done very poorly. Rather than magically say he learned Spanish... say he took a class. This was just the icing on the cake as far as what Winick and later Raab did with Kyle Rayner. The way Kyle talked, the way Jade acted, and later with Kyle becoming Hal-lite to the point of saying "Great Guardians!" Aside from the Hand of God storyline, I mostly stuck with GL during that era for Dale Eaglesham's art and later out of needing to complete the whole series despite how bad Raab's writing was.

Also, assuming I'm a prejudice Trump supporter made me LOL... my wife is half Spanish. And I'm as much Sub-Saharan African as I am Portuguese... (I did that DNA test). But again, just because I found out about that... doesn't mean I'm gonna start acting like a stereotypical man from Portugal [I honestly don't even know what that'd be] the way Kyle was suddenly presented as more Mexican the issue after the reveal with his dad.

~//V\\~

Comment

Working...
                              X